Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484353 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #6405 on: November 30, 2011, 12:09:50 am »
I've been trying to avoid the whole Conrad Murray story, because I just don't care. He was convicted of killing Michael Jackson--involuntary mateslaughter--and today was sentenced to the maximum penalty of four years.

I suppose the one thing in all this that I do care about is that I have no confidence in Murray's conviction and sentencing. This whole thing seemed like a witch hunt from the beginning. The public wanted someone to blame for the death of Michael Jackson, and Murray provided the drugs that did it. But Jackson was hooked on drugs, and his life was supremely screwed up.

He killed himself.

Putting his doctor in prison for it is a miscarriage of justice.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6406 on: November 30, 2011, 03:05:42 am »
Sigh. Got an eProject. When I was supposed to be travelling this month.

The institute has issues. They inform students a day before the project actually starts. They have no schedule, no plans, no support, no nothing.

On the bright side, at least this is the last one (hopefully, unless they change their minds like they always do).

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6407 on: November 30, 2011, 04:17:37 am »
The Chrono Cross soundtrack doesn't work on my new computer and I still haven't changed the file type to an mp3.  Grrr.  I need my CC music!

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6408 on: November 30, 2011, 03:04:34 pm »
*twitch*

I love reading Engadget, but this wretched headline of an article put me off: http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/28/stretchy-silicon-circuits-wrap-around-complex-shapes-like-your/

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #6409 on: November 30, 2011, 08:22:42 pm »

Doesn't this leave a bunch of uneaten egg white clinging to the shells? Wasteful as all fuck. I don't care how barbaric it is, I'm going to roll the egg until the shell's cracked enough to peel off in total. It also seems like it'd be annoying as fuck to try and maneuver that tiny spoon in the egg and take fucking tiny bites. Ridiculous, ridiculous practice. I hope I'm never served one of these in a situation where it'd be impolite to eat it my way.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6410 on: November 30, 2011, 08:36:51 pm »
Oh, that was very good, Z!

You only have two settings. Off, and Thermonuclear Hot. I hope you don't mind my being deliciously amused by your reaction...

Anyhow! As to your actual point: I wish our population and environmental practices were sustainable enough that we could afford to waste food without a guilty conscience--not blatantly, but, rather, in the form such as that described by eating an egg out of its top, leaving (perhaps) something behind uneaten. I wish for that more than I wish that no food would be wasted. We are not robots, and measured waste makes me strangely comfortable. It's one of my complaints about the general liberal aversion to quality of life comforts. They want to make us feel guilty for enjoying ourselves in life through the use and consumption of material things. I don't agree.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #6411 on: November 30, 2011, 09:22:37 pm »
There is a future in cost accounting for those who wish to reduce food waste. That'd be quite a noble application of the trade. Naturally, though, the Japanese would probably do it better than anyone else. Fucking masters of the universe when it comes to total process efficiency.

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6412 on: December 01, 2011, 05:37:01 pm »
that feel when I post to the thread about editing the encyclopedia and it gets ignored o_o

also, I agree with the egg post, although I've never encountered such a foolish way of eating eggs.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6413 on: December 01, 2011, 06:34:38 pm »
I don't care how barbaric it is, I'm going to roll the egg until the shell's cracked enough to peel off in total.

While it is very possible to get the shell off a soft-boiled egg, rolling it is likely to cause it spill its deliciously runny yolk. It takes a bit of a delicate touch and a lot of practice.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #6414 on: December 01, 2011, 07:02:26 pm »
I don't care how barbaric it is, I'm going to roll the egg until the shell's cracked enough to peel off in total.

While it is very possible to get the shell off a soft-boiled egg, rolling it is likely to cause it spill its deliciously runny yolk. It takes a bit of a delicate touch and a lot of practice.

Softboiled eggs are kind of gross, though, because they're SO EASY to get wrong and have runny egg whites, which is the worst. Over easy any day...

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6415 on: December 02, 2011, 12:46:51 am »
Ew. Just cook it all the way through like a normal food. Eggs are one thing I do not enjoy wet.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6416 on: December 02, 2011, 01:09:51 am »
Sanctions and subterfuge aren't going to stop Iran from developing nuclear weapons. They may buy us more time, but the Iranians are fundamentally intent on getting a bomb, because they correctly understand that when you have the bomb you get privileges on the world stage. They saw what happened in Libya after Qadaffi gave up his nuclear program and then got ousted by his own people a few years later. They may be fools, but they're not stupid.

We have three choices now. We can destroy the Iranian nuclear weapons program and its support infrastructure. We can replace the Iranian government with a less hostile one. Or we can accept a nuclear-armed Iran.

In all probability the first two choices mean war, and the third choice greatly increases the likelihood of both a nuclear terrorist attack and a nuclear war in this century.

So! What's your policy on this?

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6417 on: December 02, 2011, 02:34:19 am »
Friends who don't talk with you in a time of crisis are not friends, and were never friends to begin with.

I have accepted that, and now it is time to move on.  I am not going to waste any more energy on these people.  They don't deserve my time.  They never did.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6418 on: December 02, 2011, 05:30:47 am »
Friends who don't talk with you in a time of crisis are not friends, and were never friends to begin with.
On the bright side, crisis serve like "tests" for humanity because it filters and shows you who are your best of friends and who aren't. True, some people are unable to help you due to their own limitations, but when those people are not limited and still don't approach empathetically then... well, ya know.

Hopefully this helps you find those truest pals, Saj.  :) Cherish each other, and there'll be no problems that can't be solved.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6419 on: December 02, 2011, 11:12:56 am »
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-money-can-buy-happiness/

First World folks and their problems, I tell ya... While I conform with his idea that a lot of "money can't buy" myth is ridiculous, he's actually complaining about things that only people with money would worry about in the first place. A lot of people who are actually poor often learn to live with it, with their perception earthbound despite the frustration of poverty. Yes, it's horrible, but John's whining is quite insulting.

That's the only thing I'm gonna roll my eyes at, though. Besides that, he's quite right.