Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484598 times)

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #5850 on: May 10, 2011, 10:22:18 pm »
I want to beleive that you have the right to say anything you want, that you shouldn't worry about upsetting someone, even if it's too polemical, but... I agree with your friend about it being too risky :/ If there are violent extremists in your area I would suggest you consider leaving that out of the book.

I guess in my mind I'm comparing this to the problem with drug-dealers here in my city, it's not the same of course, what I mean is that people get threatened, kidnapped or attacked just for writing articles on the newspaper or talking wrongly about them in college classrooms... If extremists groups can be as violent as this people, well... :/

Of course, this is just my local situation.

On the other hand, I have seem some polemical works about christianity receiving just harsh comments or bans in a country that is very traditional like Mexico, and nothing worse than that, so...I don't know, I guess it all depends on your local situation.

....My own little frustration of the moment is that I'm stuck babysitting again, ha  :P

EDIT: AND the kids just scratched my Wind Waker cd very badly.... shit, that intro is not loading properly...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 10:45:20 pm by Licawolf »

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5851 on: May 11, 2011, 07:27:14 am »
@Bekkler and Lica: Our local situation is thankfully better than those at Mexico, and I'm thankful for living in such a safe place (though no place in the world is 100% safe). I remember way to the south of India a school teacher mocked something trivial about Mohammed, and the student went and told this to his parents. Next day, while the teacher was travelling with his family in a car, some extremists stopped the car, dragged him out and chopped his hands with a sword in front of everyone. Thing is, I'm not writing anything remotely offensive, rather the positive sides of peaceful Muslim culture, but most extremists (especially the Sunni and Laden followers) just make a big issue out of little things and I fear endangering my family into this.

And yet not all Muslims hate such references in art and literature. The Shia especially are forward thinking, peaceful folks and embrace every aspect of humanity and logic. They are staunch supporters of feminism and they respect the diversity of life. They embrace the idea of spreading goodwill, and frankly, my work is partly dedicated to them as a gift. So yes, I will go with Bekkler's idea and leave the references, but vaguely enough to let the readers interpret themselves. No matter who you are, where you're from, so long as you love humanity as whole you are my family.

:) Thank you, mates!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5852 on: May 11, 2011, 09:57:21 am »
No frustrations today! =)

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5853 on: May 11, 2011, 01:35:31 pm »
No frustrations today! =)
XD Then let me get frustrated for you. This might give you a guys a good laugh.

Okay, so I was reading Cracked, see? And I came upon a picture.

As everyone can see at the bottom right, it says, "1 cm / E. Heiss". What I actually read was, "I am Cheese." The thing got stuck in my head for about five minutes and I really couldn't re-read the thing properly.

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #5854 on: May 11, 2011, 02:18:54 pm »
What I actually read was, "I am Cheese."
I know this is the frustation thread but this really made me laugh so much. Now everytime I see the pic I imagine the little newt saying "I'm cheese!" xD

My frustration is that clients don't send the fonts for the design projects properly. They send an indesign file which requires a "Condensed Bold Oblique" version of a font and they send me only a "Condensed" version or just a "Regular Bold" one, or something like that... and I have to go internet hunting the exact variation they need, or a free equivalent with the same characteristics... and that takes a ridiculous amount of time sometimes...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 09:30:33 pm by Licawolf »

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5855 on: May 11, 2011, 09:21:11 pm »
I want so badly for the decent Muslims to claim their religion for their own, but I often think that may be impossible. ._.

In cheerier news, though: the Bhagavad Gita is the proverbial bomb!

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5856 on: May 11, 2011, 10:08:54 pm »
Oh snap, it seems GFW has gained new skills.
Now if I use certain proxy software, my ISP will cut the access to foreign IPs for about five minutes (no matter I visit the site via proxy or directly). At first I thought the compendium was temporarily down, soon I discovered some other sites were done in the meanwhile, and messenger was dead too.
 :? :shock: :o :cry::(

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5857 on: May 12, 2011, 02:27:44 am »
rabble rabble rabble...

Just finished my show.  One of 2 out of the 8 comics that actually got people out.

:shock: 2.0 came.  Front and center.

Seriously?  What a slap in my face.  That was a hard show to get through, though it did go well.  I'm so fucking pissed though.  I guess she either really doesn't know she's KILLING me or she's playing a damn good game.  That I have no fucking time or patience for.  Some consistency or respect would be nice.  And since we're in class together once a week the idea of calling her out on her bullshit is troublesome.  FUCK!

Yea, I know I said before I was done with boring y'all to death with this shit, there are infinitely worse things I could be dealing with.  But hot damn, it hurts.

ALSO went o go see another agent today.  I had no intention of signing, just for the experience.  They shat on my headshots and sent me on my way in 10 seconds.  New agent has my shot front and center on their website.  What a colossal waste of my time; that's what I get for thinking I had the powah, if only for one meeting.

Whatever.  Got invited back to club for 2 different shows.  Hell yea.  back at open mic tomorrow, scene study (which apparently is only awkward for me, not her... :evil:)after that.  8/7.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5858 on: May 12, 2011, 09:00:45 pm »
I know I'm the one to design the character, but I seriously HATE drawing Levant over and over again. >< I don't mind the outfit, but the hair frustrates me. What's worse, I'm trying it with a mouse since my Tablet's dead.

Che! And I could only steal my bro's UPS for mere 3 hours....

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5860 on: May 13, 2011, 01:01:22 pm »
Do I have to spend money after money? First my monitor busted. Okay, I thought, I'd just buy a better one. Then my bicycle, and it was okay coz I can buy better pedals. Then my UPS, and it's still under repair. Then my netbook Battery gave out, so I thought I'd buy a 6-cell instead. And now I thought I'd get some art done (I've been away from the love of art for over a month now), and I realize my tablet isn't functioning anymore.

:picardno

At least I managed to finish composting the cutscene.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5861 on: May 13, 2011, 06:09:36 pm »
 :D  :D  :D  :D

My day thus far:

Woke up this morning to read a bunch of garbage on the ol' facebook machine from you-know-who.  Cue 7 boring paragraphs of speculation etc etc etc  :lol:

Managed to work out, keeping it consistent.  Actually fit nicely into some pants I hadn't been able to wear in about 7 years a lil bit back.  So that's cool.  Wait, I guess that's a good thing then....ummm.... I know!  I can't fit into any of my other pants now because they're too big.  So it looks likes I'm an ass who wears his pants too low all the time.

One of my contact lenses decided today when I put it in to slide on the other side of my eyeball.  Holy shit that's a horrendous sentence but it stays!!!  Yea that was painful.

Enormous spider in my shower today whilst showering.  Had I seen the little fucker in a normal situation the little shit wouldn't have stood a chance.  But I was...you know....showering.  Advantage spider.  Cue Windex!!  Needless to say, there is water everywhere in my bathroom now.

I gotta move to a different location (owners of my place are selling it) so I gotta get rid of my chickens and deal with all the normal moving nonsense.  No way I'm getting a better deal than the one I have now, too.  Alas, so it goes.

Today, I'm getting some chuckles out of it at least.

Bard_of_Time

• Guardian (+100)
  • Music changes history, you know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5862 on: May 13, 2011, 07:15:52 pm »
You're getting rid of the chickens?! But... but what if the place you move to allows you to keep them? D:

I know that I gripe about the cat a lot. I hate him and I want to make him go away. But he's... he's sick, now. I... I feel bad. I feel bad that I wished this onto another living being. The poor thing is having trouble breathing. He can barely say 'Mrow', let alone his almost iconic 'MROWWWWWWOW' when he wants food or water.

Unfortunately, we can't really get him to a vet. The money... just isn't there right now. We're making him comfortable here, but otherwise... it just... kind of sucks.

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5863 on: May 13, 2011, 08:01:24 pm »
Really Texas, really?

Yes really ._. Though after the textbook debacle of last year I can believe anything: https://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/education/13texas.html

My friends and I protested the hell out of all of this but there is only so much you can do when the populace of your state is willing to elect Rick Perry as governor over and over again, despite his many, many embarrassing shenanigans (including calling us to 'pray for rain,' shooting a coyote on one of his runs - who brings a gun on a jog?!, florescent eyestraining hairgel, etc) and stunts like calling for public schools to be replaced by "Christian culture centers." (By which he means evangelical Christian, of course.) There are a lot of wonderful dimensions to Texas, but the politics at a state level are not one of them.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5864 on: May 14, 2011, 02:07:50 am »
Oh no, those chickens. That's a blow.