Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484346 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #4875 on: January 20, 2010, 07:57:20 am »
coakly: scott brown is bad!
brown: i drive a truck!

This is why America deserves to be annexed by the Joshalonian Empire. =/

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4876 on: January 21, 2010, 03:21:45 am »
Ah, my frustration is complicated.

You see, I am a pacifist by nature (when it comes to people). I do not like fighting. I think yelling, shouting, and screaming your way in a conversation does not solve any problems. There are easier ways to talk, you see, and the trick is to remain calm. So WW3 is about to break out in my family, and suddenly I've become the peacemaker. Or rather, I'm the one that everyone is talking to and wanting to find a solution, but no one will actually listen to me. They're all trying to convince me that they are fighting for the Just and True Cause, and the other side is clearly wrong. What I can't seem to get across to all the parties involved is that they're all steaming mad, and no one is right (in fact, my very honest opinion of the matter is that everyone involved have lost their minds).

You know how they say that twins get along better than anyone else in the world? Well, if you believe that, I'd like to introduce you to my mother and her twin sister, who've both taught me everything about twins I never wanted to know. You see, my theory is this: Twins either love each other like no one else on Earth, or they hate each other with the fiery passion of a thousand burning suns. Their latest spat has nearly split the family in two.

So for three days, while I'm trying to finish my book so I can get it to the prospective agent in time, I'm fielding phone call after phone call of crying, depressed and angry family. They all say they want my advice, but they don't really want to hear it (unless I'm validating their side of the story... which I'm not taking sides in this mess). My mother is angry that I'm not automatically taking her side. My aunt is angry that I'm not taking her side. I want to scream "CAN'T YOU BOTH SEE HOW CRAZY YOU'RE ACTING?!" But that would be a bad idea, probably.

Why in blazes are they even calling me, asking for my advice (because they say I'm so "levelheaded" and "calm") when they're clearly not interested in listening? I mean, they suggest they want to talk to me because I'm calm-natured and would be able to tell if they're acting out of anger. So when I suggest they might indeed be acting in anger, and they should put a few days between the event in question and their response (so they can calm down), they get frustrated.

I don't mind talking to (or mediating for) people who'll listen, but this is like beating my head against a brick wall.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4877 on: January 21, 2010, 05:49:44 am »
I see a pattern here. I think what you have to do when they make these kinds of calls is make it clear that you're not going to play war with them. You can tell them that you're willing to listen, but that you're not going to take sides and have no intention of validating their childish behavior. I don't expect that will help them to achieve a healthier state of mind, but it could, and in the meantime it will certainly establish some limits as to how much harassment you're willing to put up with from them.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4878 on: January 21, 2010, 07:37:07 pm »
You see, I am a pacifist by nature (when it comes to people). I do not like fighting.

As am I.  Even so, I take up Shotokan Karate.  We are taught that we learn to fight so that we can learn not to fight.  Being a pacifist doesn't mean that you shouldn't stick up for yourself.

On a side note... huzzah!  Sun Stoner Status!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4879 on: January 21, 2010, 07:46:44 pm »
Sun Stoner! Enjoy your moment!

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4880 on: January 21, 2010, 11:34:59 pm »
So, republican's have overrun the senate again.

Well that's it. The country is once again gonna be in the grip of psycho-christian right-wing nutjobs.

Might as well just go ahead and wait for the end of days because it's sure as hell coming now.

Republicans... well, they're self-explanatory. And Demoncrats are too damn busy sitting on their asses or playing the blame game to do something about. Both sides are fucked up.

And people wonder why I've lost faith in people. :picardno

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4881 on: January 22, 2010, 03:32:14 am »
Dear Javascript,

If your actions are going to fall short of my expectations, the least you could do is send me an error message explaining why.  Was it something I did?  I thought that we were friends.

Sincerely,
The Uboa

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4882 on: January 22, 2010, 06:34:43 am »
Dear Javascript,

If your actions are going to fall short of my expectations, the least you could do is send me an error message explaining why.  Was it something I did?  I thought that we were friends.

Sincerely,
The Uboa

http://getfirebug.com/

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4883 on: January 22, 2010, 07:10:49 am »
Gotten.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4884 on: January 22, 2010, 11:15:30 am »
So, republican's have overrun the senate again.

In the words of Inigo Montoya: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Perhaps I missed something, but the Republicans are still in the minority in the Senate, yes?

And perhaps I missed something else, but the Democrats never actually had the filibuster-proof senate that people thought they had, on account of Joe Lieberman becoming more Republican every day, as well as other actual Democrats who were more moderate than others.

The problem isn’t in this minor shift of power but rather in how that shift is perceived. The more people run around and talk like it’s the end of the world, the more power those people are giving to the Republicans.

Democrats were already being idiotic about Health Care Insurance Reform. The more threatening this shift in power seems to them, the more idiotic they'll be.

EDIT: Also, my own frustration, in poetry form. I call it "Yargblablablaaaahhhh."

Oh computer, my old computer,
Why do you hate me?
You were infected with a virus
That I downloaded.
It was in a science PDF
from the endo site.
I didn't mean to hurt you, honest.
I tried to fix it.
I failed and reformatted you.
Now you do not work.
Oh computer, my old computer,
Why do you hate me?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 11:59:20 am by Thought »

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4885 on: January 22, 2010, 12:04:01 pm »

Sorry to hear about your computer, Thought.

On the other hand, I'm surprised you didn't some sort of filtering software that caught that.

It was like a rogue wave, wasn't it?

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4886 on: January 22, 2010, 01:12:05 pm »
Thanks, Genesis.

I had protection software going, and it did catch it, just not in time. This was combined with an older problem, however, in that I haven't been able to boot in safemode since the last time I reformatted my computer. If I had been able to, I am fairly sure I could have rooted out the virus (my wife had the same virus, we think, and we got rid of it on her computer but had to do it in safemode). I'd spent a good bit of time trying to get safemode to work, failed at that, and so I went with a reformat. I can now boot to safemode, but not normal mode.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4887 on: January 22, 2010, 01:17:54 pm »

If it's any consolation, I lost my computer and all its files at least seven times in the past five years.

All that hard work down the drain... seven times.

Not learning my lesson of backing up my files in case something like that happened again... six times.

You're not alone.   :cry:

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4888 on: January 22, 2010, 04:40:14 pm »
The mere inception of the filibuster is enough to frustrate me to no end....

Ah, ever just been in a real foul mood for "no reason?"  I'm hittin day 1.5 of it.  Usually there's something else bugging me and it's not for "no reason" but OI! I've just been Sir Grumps-alot.  It'll pass.

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4889 on: January 22, 2010, 04:44:40 pm »
someone needs a hug.

mia and i are really going at it these last few days. it makes me not want to go to work at times. hopefully things will work out, and hopefully sooner rather than later.