Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 338153 times)

Asafigow

• Guardian (+100)
  • It's the middle of the story, go crazy!
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #2010 on: November 29, 2009, 04:08:59 pm »
Why yes, yes it does

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #2011 on: November 29, 2009, 05:50:57 pm »
Board games (and card games) are great. Have you played Settlers of Catan or Dominion? Both are a lot of fun.

Asafigow

• Guardian (+100)
  • It's the middle of the story, go crazy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: November 30, 2009, 12:22:45 am »
No, nor have I heard of them. What are they like?

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: November 30, 2009, 12:34:18 am »
I love that Z changed his avatar!  No offense Z, but the last one creeped me out.  XD

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: December 01, 2009, 12:46:21 am »
In reference to RD's post, Settlers of Catan always amused me with its ability to inspire surprising amounts of animosity among otherwise amicable friends.  It definitely bears the "Risk effect", and yet it appears deceptively much more innocent than Risk.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: December 01, 2009, 01:47:53 am »
I dyed my hair blue (or rather, my mother dyed my hair blue) the last day of Thanksgiving break.  I LOVE my hair.  Love, love, love.

Also, I love my mum for being cool enough to dye my hair all kinds of crazy colours.  She rocks.

This one is a better shot of the blue-ness.

Yeah, I'm hardcore.

( ...Not really.  XD )

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: December 01, 2009, 04:32:23 am »
What a crazy crazy world.  3 hours notice for an audition today, director takes too long with the early callbacks ("Callbacks!?!?!  What the fuck!?!?!  Why am I here???") and has to leave to catch plane.  Guess who's next on the list?  Then he hand selects the next four jabrones in there to see before he dips out.  Guess who got left out?  Some folks split after hearing the director was leaving, I decided to stay.  I did my audition for just the casting director, felt VERY good!  Of course, the director has to see it on tape now.

The ol' worry about pissing off my job (who's been good to me, though it has been a 2 way street) creeps in as I emailed my boss saying (in a much nicer cleaner way):

"I like you.  You've been good to me.  I don't want to fuck you over, but if I get cast I'm going to fuck you over."

Well, more of a frustration at some points, but all for a good cause.  Not to mention a monster payday and filming in Mexico City.  It feels good to have all this whirling around, it all gets sorted out tomorrow.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: December 01, 2009, 05:23:15 am »
The ol' worry about pissing off my job (who's been good to me, though it has been a 2 way street) creeps in as I emailed my boss saying (in a much nicer cleaner way):

"I like you.  You've been good to me.  I don't want to fuck you over, but if I get cast I'm going to fuck you over."

Never do that before your next thing is a sure thing, except if:

1) ...there are very special circumstances in your relationship with your colleagues or employer; or
2) ...you can afford a full split with them immediately.

So many people get burned by trying to be decent in the workplace on matters like this. Protect your own interests above all else. Never forget that most workplace relationships, especially vertical ones (i.e., boss and underling), are only skin-deep and exist but for the duration of your loyalty to the company. That's true even when you're the boss rather than the underling.

Shee

• Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: December 01, 2009, 03:18:07 pm »
Well...pooopy.  Didn't get booked (shocker after that bush league nonsense yesterday...) but I spoke with my boss, who was EXTREMELY gracious about the email, pointed out the fact that is was indeed a 2 way street, and said she'd accomdate me for any bookings in the future.  Well, that's good at least.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #2019 on: December 01, 2009, 03:57:10 pm »
No, nor have I heard of them. What are they like?

Settlers is a hex based board game where you place settlements where 3 hexes meet, and gather resources based on which hexes you are touching in order to grow your civilization. Dominion is a deck building game, where you purchase more cards to add to your deck, which you in turn use to help get more cards, with the goal of having the most victory points (purchased as cards) at the end of the game. Both have a lot of variation in their set up, which makes for a lot of replayability.

Shee

• Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: December 01, 2009, 05:48:07 pm »
Well, it's official.  Good ol' Bobby Bowden is retiring.  His run will never be duplicated, but it was time for him to step down.  A great man, a legendary coach.  Glad and proud to have been able to watch him coach, even if it was in the twilight of his career.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: December 01, 2009, 06:51:28 pm »
I dyed my hair blue (or rather, my mother dyed my hair blue) the last day of Thanksgiving break.  I LOVE my hair.  Love, love, love.

Also, I love my mum for being cool enough to dye my hair all kinds of crazy colours.  She rocks.

This one is a better shot of the blue-ness.

Yeah, I'm hardcore.

( ...Not really.  XD )

Awesome-tastic! I love how dark but vivid the color is!

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: December 01, 2009, 10:51:20 pm »
Exactly, Bekkler!  I was trying to characterize the coolness myself but could not quite do it.  It's definitely "Neo-Zeal".  Also, hooray for cool moms.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: December 02, 2009, 05:20:31 am »

Blue hair color and piercings...

What next, Sajainta, if you're currently on a roll?

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: December 02, 2009, 10:43:14 am »
It's SNOWING!

Growing up in California we didn't get snow. If we wanted to see it, we had to drive up the mountains a few hours. It was something you went to see, like an exhibit. I was thrilled when it was cold enough to frost over at night.

But this morning I stepped out the door to a beautiful sight of snow gently drifting to the ground. It's like waking up and finding the Mona Lisa or the Sutton Hoo ship in your bedroom.