Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484533 times)

Bard_of_Time

• Guardian (+100)
  • Music changes history, you know.
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #6030 on: July 13, 2011, 02:08:18 am »
Okay so, I have a friend from high school. She and I were really close, I guess. However, since graduation, she's been really sick. Impossibly dizzy, nauseous, barely able to do anything. I told her earlier that if she was so sick, she should call a doctor. She said she wouldn't even bother, because the doctors don't do anything.

I'm not sure if I'm frustrated that she's devolved from someone that at one point I would look up to into a needy whiny bitch who would rather have her family tend to her every whim than to try and get help, or that she's probably right in that the doctors won't do anything for her.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6031 on: July 13, 2011, 02:56:17 pm »
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/should-parents-lose-custody-of-super-obese-kids-2510149/

The frustrating part is that weight is significantly influenced by genetics. While this article is full of examples of an environmental change resulting in weight loss, none of the examples actually resulted in the child not-being obese. A bad diet and lack of exercise are undesirable regardless of the child's (or, indeed, individual's) weight. By focusing on weight instead of meaningful factors like diet and exercise, and by misrepresenting the significance of environmental changes, this sort of article encourages prejudice against weighty people and it fails to actually help those with health problems.

Bard_of_Time

• Guardian (+100)
  • Music changes history, you know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6032 on: July 13, 2011, 04:00:51 pm »
I remember the news anchors talking about that. I don't remember what all they said about it, but they made it sound like one of those things like 'Can you believe this is happening?'. They have a tendancy to do that. You can usually tell when they're gonna do that because they get this tone of disbelief in their voices as they're introducing the story, they show clips of it over the news music (usually of people going WTF THIS IS NOT RIGHT), and tagging the thing with a ?. Because that makes people go NO.

When you think about it, being taken from your parents can be pretty stressful. Imagine just being a happy little (albeit in this case round) child, hanging out with mommy and daddy. And then out of nowhere some people scoop you up, tell you that mommy and daddy are horrible people, dump you with some new people (in probably a new city, which means a new school to adjust to) who may or may not be absolutely horrible. I think I read somewhere that stress can cause people to GAIN weight. So why would you go and take a child out of their house and put them in an extremely stressful situation, simply because they're fat?

Does not make sense to me.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6033 on: July 13, 2011, 05:18:57 pm »
WHAT THE *&^()*&(^%*&^*&^!!!

I know I'm a bit behind schedule (actually, I'm a LOT behind schedule) and I applied the Polar Detective script for Celtx Seeds. I can finish the project before August, but the deadline for the script entry ends in two days. I do have the script prepared though.  :cry:

So what's the problem? Well, apparently, the contest isn't free (entirely my fault for overlooking this). I need a Celtx Studio account to submit my script.

AHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... Do I need Seeds again?

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6034 on: July 13, 2011, 10:06:22 pm »
I don't feel particularly good about either audition today.  FUCK.  I was really on my own case after the first one.  Inbetween the two (which were thankfully nearby) I meditated for a bit checking out ye olde Pacific Ocean. Damn, that was nice. 

I got away from forgiveness, got away from the bigger picture.  The pressure I've put on myself, in my whole life really, is asinine.  3 hours of traffic later and the back is not pleased.  I gotta figure some shit out, I shouldn't have this ping-pong between the ups and downs.  Gotta level out.

Oh, and the computer only feels like working at half speed.  Goshamighty thundernation I'll get there to that place of peace and stability.  Just not today.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6035 on: July 15, 2011, 10:14:19 am »
I'm starting to feel the limitations of human mind. Staying true to the big picture and finding details in each branch and processing them... it's impossible for any human being especially when data needs to be processed visually most of the time, and the lack of memory compression not only kills linguistic capabilities but also leaves gigantic holes in your memories, expanding at a rapid pace every second until you're left to oblivion.

Like money, food and anything good, hoarding too much can be disastrous, even knowledge, and our minds our still inferior at this stage. Perhaps more three hundred years, but even that isn't enough. Maybe 3000 more. Still, can't wait that long. In the words of our Lord and Savior, the Doctor...

Quote from: Doctor Who
Oh! I'm thick! Look at me, I'm old and thick! Head's too full of stuff, I need a bigger head!

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6036 on: July 16, 2011, 12:58:33 am »
I'm starting to feel the limitations of human mind. Staying true to the big picture and finding details in each branch and processing them... it's impossible for any human being especially when data needs to be processed visually most of the time, and the lack of memory compression not only kills linguistic capabilities but also leaves gigantic holes in your memories, expanding at a rapid pace every second until you're left to oblivion.

Like money, food and anything good, hoarding too much can be disastrous, even knowledge, and our minds our still inferior at this stage. Perhaps more three hundred years, but even that isn't enough. Maybe 3000 more. Still, can't wait that long. In the words of our Lord and Savior, the Doctor...

Oh! I'm thick! Look at me, I'm old and thick! Head's too full of stuff, I need a bigger head!

Indeed, I sometimes wonder what our minds would be like if we were physically able to live 200+ years.  Would we just steadily lose earlier memories in favor of new ones, or would our minds become so badly garbled that we wouldn't be able to focus on anything?  I'm no scientist, but I've often wondered if the natural aging process is triggered by our minds as much as genetic limitations.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6037 on: July 16, 2011, 06:32:37 am »

Indeed, I sometimes wonder what our minds would be like if we were physically able to live 200+ years.  Would we just steadily lose earlier memories in favor of new ones, or would our minds become so badly garbled that we wouldn't be able to focus on anything?  I'm no scientist, but I've often wondered if the natural aging process is triggered by our minds as much as genetic limitations.
XD Actually, humans CAN live up to 400 years; all we need to do is suppress our aging gene (which was supposed to be modified naturally in another 1000 years). But with that, natural selection and evolution would have slowed.

Good question, though! I don't have an answer to that, but for this quote:

Quote from: Sherlock Holmes
I consider that a man's brain originally is like a little empty attic, and you have to stock it with such furniture as you choose. A fool takes in all the lumber of every sort that he comes across, so that the knowledge which might be useful to him gets crowded out, or at best is jumbled up with a lot of other things, so that he has a difficulty in laying his hands upon it.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #6038 on: July 20, 2011, 08:27:02 pm »
Fuck this world. I'm going to have to do some other kind of volunteer work, as marking down that I helped an Equal Access Fund for abortions is a surefire way to get rejected. God, sometimes I wish I could crush anti-choice people with some kind of cultural war. The quicker religion dies, the quicker humanity will further improve.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6039 on: July 20, 2011, 09:51:50 pm »
Fuck this world. I'm going to have to do some other kind of volunteer work, as marking down that I helped an Equal Access Fund for abortions is a surefire way to get rejected. God, sometimes I wish I could crush anti-choice people with some kind of cultural war. The quicker religion dies, the quicker humanity will further improve.

Stop using the word "God/god" and religion will die a lot quicker. :)

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6040 on: July 21, 2011, 08:59:27 am »
Actually, I'm all for America becoming an Atheistic nation (though not an enforced one; force kills human rights and peace), because whatever religion America seems to be importing from the world seems to lack one (or three) fundamental aspect of most religion ethics -- Humanity / Philanthropy, Tolerence / Respect, Empathy.

This further turns religion into a "Fanclub" of the sort, something trying to dominate rather than improve their nation. Otherwise people like Benny Hinn wouldn't go around converting people (especially Catholics/Protestants) to his Church, as if he's claiming to be some kind of a Messiah.

However in other places, like India, the only things that seems to bind the nation to humanity strongly to empathy, and not letting it become hell, are two things -- Religion and National Philosophy (tolerance). Which is why I strongly support it.

On top of that, India is of diverse religion and ethics which blend in well because of tolerance. Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, etc. can easily be experienced and improved without having to convert to it. You can remain an Atheist and still benefit from some schools of thought.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 09:04:00 am by tushantin »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6041 on: July 21, 2011, 07:33:36 pm »
However in other places, like India, the only things that seems to bind the nation to humanity strongly to empathy, and not letting it become hell, are two things -- Religion and National Philosophy (tolerance). Which is why I strongly support it.

That's an excellent observation, but one biased by the relative cultural primitiveness of India. (Don't get me wrong; India as a whole is better off than some of the subcultures right here in the United States, and the most enlightened parts of India--although I am making an assumption here--would probably compare favorably to the United States in its entirety. Rather, as a developing country, India's comparatively lower material quality of life, less well-evolved civil liberties and social welfare laws, and higher level of corruption and lower level of accountability by the immediate authorities all conspire to guarantee that few if any Indians can appreciate the world from the viewpoint of modern cosmopolitan liberals living in a Seattle or a Los Angeles.) On a straightforward level, you are correct: Religion has brought both community and an aversion to committing even worser evils upon our world and upon one another than we otherwise would have. That's generally true of religion. What you may have a hard time seeing is that religion could be replaced relatively quickly in its capacities as a social glue and an ethical compass. To be sure, it would be a hell of a lot easier if you made developments in the areas I mentioned (material quality of life, etc.) for the entire population, as these things supplant the need for religion by providing more practical alternatives to worldview-building. However, even without those advances, the authority of religion could be redistributed to other social institutions, such as the family unit and the media (for example), with little if any loss of effectiveness. ("The media" may not seem intuitive, but from my own example I took a lot of cues in younger times from the books I read and the films I watched.)

On top of that, India is of diverse religion and ethics which blend in well because of tolerance. Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, etc. can easily be experienced and improved without having to convert to it. You can remain an Atheist and still benefit from some schools of thought.

Your tolerance for religion, in the absence of a better understanding, is commendable. Most people who don't know better about a thing should exercise tolerance, leaving opposition for those who have good reason (and to an extent for the automatic quality of some social mores).

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6042 on: July 22, 2011, 03:21:07 am »
That's an excellent observation, but one biased by the relative cultural primitiveness of India.
XD But sometimes that specific cultural primitiveness (not in general, but the one you imply), prevalent in common areas, far out-does the experienced (for want of better word... dammit) philosophy of most people in the USA and other places.

See, relying on materialistic prosperity is in most cases impractical, because resources are primarily meant to satisfy necessities and not luxury, and an intelligent and properly developed school of thought can easily make a person skilled enough to take on the world. It makes a person capable developing skills that he never had, without clinging on to materials that might not be with him later, and thus gaining power to acquire things he never had, be it money or power. Schools and education were such means, but even those are starting to go down the drain. From what I've perceived, with the exception of science and math, true education can only be acquired outside academia. But religious theological studies, or simply personal indulgences therein? Although they can't compete with what they teach is, but I do point at how they teach us, they remain true to their humanitarian methods and do the best of what they do: forward ethics.

Compared to anything else in the world, religion is powerful and, though primarily meant to bind societies together and expand, thus the weapon some would use against another. When they say religion in bigger than an individual that's the cold truth, and yet an individual has every right to ignore, change or follow it. It is what you change it into that counts, and the right turn can make humanity better. Scientology formed by a drug addict may have worsened conditions in our world, but Buddhism seems to be blurring the line between it and science; hell, even I managed to find evidences of the existence of metaphysical concepts, such as Spirit, and detailed its properties thereof. Thus the quote (though it means more than what I explained): “Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.”

Now back to the point: see, the main problem about India and why it's stuck in a developing state is that the entire government system seems broken, with every stupid procedures and laws passed that make the government incompetent (Democracy is only in the name of voting, but commoners don't have the right to speech eve though it's publicized a lot -- India may as well be a Fascist country), and people have nothing else to rely on but religion and culture, improving it over time and creating a social utopia for themselves out of diverse philosophies. It's a ray of light in an eternal darkness, and I'll give you an example why. See, Hinduism doesn't have "Devil" or "Hell", but Islam does, and the coexistence simply had them merged thus the majority of the people here believe in it, just like in the USA. But one big difference is that most religious commoners are helpful and would refuse to commit sin, not because they believe in Hell or Shaitan, but because they know it's wrong! Unlike a legal system that punishes crimes or Christianity that promises damnation to sin, Hinduism constantly drums in ethics that though humans have the freedom of choice only the good deeds are valued most, and that each good deed not only makes you a better person but also makes the world a better place. It is these similar aspects of humanitarianism is what most believe to be Religion here; and although I don't believe in some dude named Brahma creating the cosmos, I do value what a developed religion offers.

Perhaps I inherited this understanding not from Religion, but from my late grandfather: we never discussed religion, though he was a believer, but I think his wisdom and endless quest of philanthropy got to me.  :) He always put other people's happiness before himself.

Your tolerance for religion, in the absence of a better understanding, is commendable.
Thank you! Although I don't get what you mean there. I agree I'm not religious, though I do study the religious texts out of sheer curiosity and thirst for better understanding -- in turn, I either take them as either records of old (sometimes exaggerated) history, or I take them as fiction -- and appreciate stuff that it offers in ways a true writer would. So (I admit my tiny head isn't capable of holding or processing a world of info and detail) what is my absence of understanding? Is it my lack of prejudice towards it?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 03:23:38 am by tushantin »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6043 on: July 22, 2011, 03:57:54 am »
Okay, double post, but I think I need this. Swearing in 3... 2... 1...

F*%k!!! SONUVAB$%&h!

Lord J mentioned the word commendable, reminding me that such a word existed, and I decided to use it today to sharpen my verbal skills.

Instead I told my friend that her love for animals and he knowledge of dog species is condemnable. I didn't realize my mistake until she looked at me like I insulted her.

:(

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6044 on: July 22, 2011, 06:17:20 am »
=D

You know this means but one thing...

Time now for another heart-stopping edition of OBSCURE VOCABULARY WITH LORD J !!!

Boation
A crying out; a roaring; a bellowing; reverberation. (Pronounced “bow-A-shun.”)

Insuperable
Incapable of being passed over, overcome, or surmounted.

Lissome
Lithesome or lithe, especially of body; supple; flexible; agile, nimble, or active.

Micturate
To urinate. From a root meaning “to desire to urinate.” Also: micturation: malformed and with an erroneous sense; condemned from birth.

Mumpsimus
Adherence to or persistence in an erroneous use of language, memorization, practice, belief, etc., out of habit or obstinacy (opposed to sumpsimus); a person who persists in a mistaken expression or practice (opposed to sumpsimus).

Ninnyhammer
A fool or simpleton; ninny.

A scrap or morsel of food left over at a meal.

Poltroon
A wretched coward; craven.

Slumgullion
A stew of meat, vegetables, potatoes, etc.

Torrefy
To subject to fire or intense heat; parch, roast, or scorch. To dry or parch (drugs) with heat. To roast, as metallic ores. Also “torrify.”

Xenogenic
To be completely different from either parent, or from the source of an object's creation. In biology, originating outside the organism or from a foreign substance introduced into the organism.