Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484596 times)

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #5205 on: May 22, 2010, 07:32:49 pm »
Your brand of "difference" is disruptive, ignorant, and offensive. You are the voice of the Dark Ages on this forum.

:lol:

So the twenty-first century is the Dark Ages now? Good luck socializing with that attitude.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #5206 on: May 22, 2010, 11:37:31 pm »
The Compendium has never used moderation because of someone's political views, because normally they are not expressed in an ignorant, inconsiderate, inhuman manner. It is never too late for a first time.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5207 on: May 23, 2010, 12:59:43 am »
Hoo-boy.

Well, before you respond Genesis, it would be best to bear in mind that ZeaLitY's willingness to bring nuclear options to the table over this argument could very well be reflective of his interaction with women who are in the darkest pits of despair right now for their inability to secure abortions. I think you've made reference to your own interaction with women on the verge of such a decision, so your familiarity with this isn't in question as far as I'm aware. However, I feel the context is worth noting.

I suspect those of Pro-Life disposition hold on to their attitudes dearly because they view abortion as a low-boiling Holocaust, and feel that retreating to the distance necessary for allowing all women full and efficient Choice over whether to carry a given pregnancy to term would be tantamount to stepping aside while a grave violation of human life occurs. I know what that's like; I had the same fears at one point. Others here might admit to the same.

But it doesn't have to be this way -- we don't have to make a choice between Choice and Life, any more than we do when someone waiting on an organ transplant dies. Judith Jarvis Thompson makes that case adequately in my opinion. To suggest that anyone be forced to support a Life with their own body, and without their continual interest in doing so, can only be a frightening proposition. We don't even have to get to the question of when a fetus transitions to full humanity. There are certain inviolable rights that we all should have, and it so happens bodily integrity is something that ranks pretty darn high. Yes, perhaps high enough to outweigh any other concern when push comes to shove. Perhaps I would feel differently if I lived in a society where we routinely hooked up those in need of lung transplants to healthy individuals.

Further debate on this would probably be best conducted in the abortion thread, though there indeed be much frustration on all sides.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 03:21:12 am by FaustWolf »

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #5208 on: May 25, 2010, 02:23:51 pm »
While it's nice to see someone stand up to Zeality's atheism and his "fuck you, fuck religion" rants, I think it's important at this juncture to note that, as a Christian, GenesisOne does not represent my theology. I'm not debasing his with this statement, just saying that it is not mine.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5209 on: May 26, 2010, 11:34:41 am »
Here in India children are regarded as forms of God, but there are some people around that do not even see children as a living being. Okay, I fine knowing everyone's got likes and dislikes, and some people aren't comfortable being around children, while some others who love children, and some more who consider children even more entertaining than TV.

I'm fine with all that.

What I'm NOT fine with is that some people treat them as toys, even being violent towards those below the age of 4! And not just "Shush, quiet down!" kinda violence, but tossing em, beating em, dragging em (a poor kid of 2 broke an arm because of that), etc.

They just breed kids for the heck of it and don't give a damn how it affects em. Discipline is one thing, but this boils my blood.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5210 on: May 26, 2010, 11:50:50 am »
The story of humanity is the story of humans recognizing that others are human too. Our story isn't over yet and there is still much to do.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #5211 on: May 26, 2010, 09:52:02 pm »
Fucking Coldplay songs.

All the popular ones (Clocks, Speed of Sound, When Love Ruled the World) sound like the perfect "good memories" mourning songs, like someone saying "wow, we had just good times; we were so young; summer was so great...now life will suck more, and we're getting old, but we can always look back on those good times. Oh, how time passes; what a feeling of bittersweet nostalgia."

What a fucking unproductive message. The springtime of youth knows that the best times are always ahead because it's always fucking making better times. What you're gonna do is what you wanna do; just break the rules and you'll see the truth. Fucking

FIGHT THE POWER.

Crucify the very idea of "giving up" and obliterate nostalgia by creating better times than the past ones. We have eyes in the front of our heads to go forward. We will make a fucking summer out of winter if we fucking have to.

SO GO FORWARD
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 09:54:11 pm by ZeaLitY »

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5212 on: May 27, 2010, 02:53:48 am »
What a fucking unproductive message. The springtime of youth knows that the best times are always ahead because it's always fucking making better times. What you're gonna do is what you wanna do; just break the rules and you'll see the truth. Fucking

Crucify the very idea of "giving up" and obliterate nostalgia by creating better times than the past ones. We have eyes in the front of our heads to go forward. We will make a fucking summer out of winter if we fucking have to.
8) Words to live by.

Onwards to the destiny we create; the United Federation of Humanity!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5213 on: May 27, 2010, 05:33:41 pm »
Hoo golly. I am frustrated about finances. "Frustration" is an understatement.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5214 on: May 29, 2010, 03:24:04 am »
1:30 am and I'm not tired at all.  Ugh.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5215 on: May 29, 2010, 05:10:58 am »
Mr. Sandman: Bring me a dream!

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5216 on: May 29, 2010, 05:27:50 am »
Mr. Sandman: Bring me a dream!

Cue Zeph telling us all to read The Sandman comics.  :P

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #5217 on: May 29, 2010, 04:22:04 pm »
My frustration is the local library doesn't have all the Sandman books  :cry:

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5218 on: May 29, 2010, 04:56:45 pm »
You still have a Seattle Public Library book out. When you return it, you can check out all the Sandman books you want! Check their website for availability; you can have them transferred to the Capitol Hill branch to be ready for you to pick them up upon your next visit here.

@ Sajainta: You called it! =)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5219 on: May 29, 2010, 05:46:57 pm »
Hmm, this is frightening enough to make one frustrated:

Today's college grads declared "40% less empathetic" in a University of Michigan study.

If true (and it's always good to critique the methodology of a study with results this drastic), this is a serious dilemma. Sometimes the only thing standing between community harmony and a full-blown Holocaust is empathy. Someone in the comments calls empathy "the key building block of civilization," and I couldn't agree more. What the heck is happening to us?

Also of great interest to me is how quickly people in the comments honed in on the role economics might have played in this trend:

Quote from: HELPER
I seriously think a portion of this "lack of empathy" may be due to the state of the economy. I'm in college and I can tell you most students know about the grim nature of the job market. Around 70% of college students today are living paycheck to paycheck. A lot of parents don't have the financial means of helping their kids through college, something previous generations have been able to benefit from. We're more competitive out of necessity. We're competing against older people with more work experience for low level jobs that would have normally been available to us. So despite my "lack of empathy," I can understand the circumstances other people are facing.

and

Quote from: uno_king
...its [sic] not that younger generations don't recognize the suffering other people might be going through, they're just too busy trying not to suffer themselves.  Sure you can give your starving neighbor your last loaf of bread, but when your own starving children ask whats for dinner, will you still be able to hold your head up high at the thought of helping a friend?

I can see a compelling rationale here, and it's something we can probably all relate to, to such an extent that I feel I'd just be beating a dead horse by commenting on it further. But then, we also have this curiosity:

Quote from: gingery1
I think it's the *absence* of real hardship that's the root of the problem...You can be destitute or moments away from death and still care about the well-being of others.

I'll say I did an interesting thing during the Obama Campaign: I directed a recent college grad to the appropriate place to apply for a job with the campaign, sacrificing him as a volunteer in the process -- and if you're familiar with campaign work you know just how stupid that kind of move was on my part, from the perspective of pure self interest. I'm not sure I would have done it had I not been in the shoes of a jobless college grad myself for awhile. Perhaps the Great Recession is going to produce a great renaissance of empathy?

Wouldn't count on it. I doubt any single cultural factor could have produced the survey results. It was certainly the case that immense suffering in Germany during the 1920s didn't prevent a Holocaust in the following decades.

So, what's most frightening about the study to me, is, we've got this lack of empathy and we don't know where the hell it's coming from. It's difficult to point a finger at one factor and address the problem effectively.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 06:29:32 pm by FaustWolf »