Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484759 times)

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #4965 on: February 08, 2010, 03:31:18 pm »
Was just awakened from one of my greatest and most meaningful dreams.

....D*****!

If only I could remember more, that story was priceless... and, dare I say it, unforgettable =(

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4966 on: February 08, 2010, 04:15:56 pm »

Ironic that you found it to be unforgettable since you can't remember the majority of it.

What exactly did you remember?

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: February 08, 2010, 05:23:34 pm »
The French subjunctive.

Edit::  Aaaaand one of the Toolboxes (roommate's boyfriend) burned something in the kitchen, which set off the fire alarm.  The entire dorm had to stand outside for 10 minutes in the cold while my apartment was being filled with smoke.  And now it reeks of burned food.  Yuck.  At least we were let inside after only 10 minutes.  Maybe it's just super easy to set off the fire alarm, but personally I think it's because the two Screechers (roommates) and their Toolboxes have the combined intelligence of a log.  About the same amount of personality too.  And that's an insult to the log.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 06:07:36 pm by Sajainta »

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #4968 on: February 09, 2010, 10:43:53 pm »
One of my good friends is back on drugs.

Sigh...

Today is not a good day.

Edit::  And here's a rant that's been a long time coming (copied from my Facebook status).

I was looking for a fan page for "My Parents", because I am a huge fan of my parents and love them a lot.  But all I could find were a bunch of disrespectful, immature, angsty fan pages.  I understand that some people have completely legitimate reasons to dislike their parents, but seriously?  All those damn pages?  What the hell?

It's so ironic that said angsty, rebellious, "oh so cool and trendy and awesome" children are getting pissy about things that they themselves will do once they are parents.  The blatant disrespect many Western children have toward their parents and other elders makes me want to vomit.  Have fun getting the same stupid treatment once you pass the age of 40, you immature brats.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 10:51:32 pm by Sajainta »

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4969 on: February 10, 2010, 12:03:55 am »
Was just awakened from one of my greatest and most meaningful dreams.

....D*****!

If only I could remember more, that story was priceless... and, dare I say it, unforgettable =(
I always write them down as soon as I snap out of them.  If you can toss the fatigue and jump on it right away, it's surprising how much you can get down on paper.  If you re-read the summaries later in the day, more details sometimes drift back to you as well.

***EDIT:  Big dream summary deleted. Please carry on!***

Frustrations today:  foolish syllabus.  It really is skipping all the interesting, relevant politics of the time.  Bolsheviks? Marx? World War One?Revolution?  Who needs those in an introductory history survey when we can talk about the lives of peasant doctors, short stories and the rise of feminism to look at?   :?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 06:28:32 pm by Samopoznanie »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4970 on: February 11, 2010, 10:33:00 am »
Frustrations today:  foolish syllabus.  It really is skipping all the interesting, relevant politics of the time.  Bolsheviks? Marx? World War One?Revolution?  Who needs those in an introductory history survey when we can talk about the lives of peasant doctors, short stories and the rise of feminism to look at?   :?

Ah, welcome to the New History.

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4971 on: February 11, 2010, 11:25:20 am »
Ah, welcome to the New History.
You don't say.  :?

It's really too bad, you know?  We're focussing on these subfields, usually to do with social histories - peasants, women and nobility rights... which are very popular in research circles today, and sure, that might help you get a job... but when you're in your late teens and never studied Russian / Soviet history before, and likely took the class just out of interest in the Revolution, World War II etc.... what's the point of feeding them this fringe stuff? It's turning a lot of good students off of the subject, which is a shame.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: February 11, 2010, 11:41:33 am »
It is unfortunately a problem with academia itself. In order to get PhD in history, one needs to be able to conduct new and novel research. The big important things have been covered, usually by experienced and skilled historians, so the newbs find themselves drawn to less studied topics. Social histories provide the perfect ground of this. This is further influenced by a serious problem facing modern historians; too many sources. It is quite possible for a single historian to be an expert on, say, the Roman Empire. But the Modern British Empire? Nope, there is just too much information for a single person to master it all. This is only getting worse with the internet; to be an expert of the Iraq conflict, for example, could take an entire lifetime! Thus, people specialize into limited areas and the field is not set up for significant collaborations, thus these specializations never get connected with the larger historical narrative (narrativistic history generally being pooh-poohed since post-modernism). Historians need to be set up a little bit more like research labs, where four, five, or more historians of different levels are all working together to actually form a full, coherent account.

If that wasn't enough, Academia in general is structured to produce clones, not unique investigators. Would-be historians are supposed to find a mentor and make themselves a clone of that individual, so they become limited to a specific specialty field long before they are even fully trained; they can't usually make the switch to another field, so their career then focuses on just becoming more specialized and more distant from humanity itself. Thus we get specialties of specialties of specialties, such as the development of eating utensils in the Caucus mountains (oh how I wish that was a joke)!

... I don't have personal issues with the academic complex in the field of History, honest!

>.>
<.<

Okay, maybe a little.

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4973 on: February 11, 2010, 02:11:45 pm »
It's so ironic that said angsty, rebellious, "oh so cool and trendy and awesome" children are getting pissy about things that they themselves will do once they are parents.  The blatant disrespect many Western children have toward their parents and other elders makes me want to vomit.  Have fun getting the same stupid treatment once you pass the age of 40, you immature brats.

I understand a lot of the frustrations that young people have toward their parents, and I'll go so far as to say that I can't understand how some people I knew in high school had as much respect for their parents as they did, considering the way I watched their parents treat them.  I hate to say it, but I'm almost with George Carlin on this one in that I suspect that many parents in the States today do not do enough to earn the respect of their children.  I respect my parents for being more than reasonably intelligent, for being able to feed, clothe, and do far more for me money-wise, and for not allowing vice to destroy them, but far too many kids in the States cannot even be thankful for the "basics" which I've listed.  Interestingly though, most of the children of real dysfunctional families who I've known would see the stupidity in joining a Facebook group which announces that very troubling dysfunction to the world in some form or another, or otherwise puts them in a public "dysfunctional family" club.  Granted, they'd be more likely to blog about it, or create some sort of public media which allows them to release the resulting negative emotions.

However, the prevalence of dysfunctional families in the States has made me amazed at the very healthy and cohesive natures of many families I've come in contact with over the years.  In my list of things that absolutely astound me in a very positive way, healthy families are very near the top.  

Edit:  On second thought, maybe "stupidity" is too harsh of a word, and what I'm thinking is more along the lines of "inadequacy".  These kinds of things bother me as well, but I suppose I'm not in a position to really judge why anybody would join any particular group on Facebook.  

Edit 2:  "Very obvious inadequacy".
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 02:59:31 pm by Uboa »

random404

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4974 on: February 14, 2010, 01:04:48 am »
Kind of the wrong place to put a first post, but I've been lurking here for several years and I haven't posted at any blogs or forums besides a few crappy links I put here some months back. I'll try to contribute, but I don't  have much to say about Chrono that hasn't been said better elsewhere. So, um...
My grandmother died this morning. My mom's been taking it hard, and I'm wondering if I should try to get the family to make a deal with the Cryonics Institute(http://www.cryonics.org/index.html). It's not cheap, $35,000, but, well, I thought I'd mention it because I didn't know cryonics existed until I heard it mentioned here. I don't want to sound like I'm plugging anything, chances are it's a fraud or a fruitless effort, but I'd appreciate any advice.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4975 on: February 14, 2010, 01:10:43 am »
I suspect that the identity of a human being depends on the physical configuration of their brain and, just as importantly, the characteristic behavior of that brain. So, if these can be safely preserved, then cryogenic stasis may be a viable option for future life after a fatal experience in the present. But! I would caution you that the comfort of the thought of a loved one or even yourself living once more at some point in the future is mostly a deceptive one. I humbly suggest that it would be more productive to begin the grieving process that will eventually allow you to say goodbye for all time.

I'm sorry for your loss. You're right; that's a tough note for a first post on any forum.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #4976 on: February 14, 2010, 01:14:53 am »
Unfortunately, I know very little (if anything) about cyronics.

I am so sorry about your grandmother, random404.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4977 on: February 14, 2010, 01:38:09 am »
http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,3283.msg189589.html#msg189589

My condolences, random404. I understand the loss of an important family member, but I was never good with sympathies... I apologize.

P.S.: As for Cryogenics, I'm not sure if it's up to the point where there's a possibility of revival. Usually 4 hours after death is the timelimit to revive someone, but that's all. I'm with Lord J on that.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 01:41:28 am by tushantin »

Sajainta

• View Profile

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4979 on: February 14, 2010, 02:28:28 am »
That stinks.
Now I feel lucky that I'm living in a peaceful city.