Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484500 times)

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #4080 on: September 24, 2009, 08:39:06 pm »
We have a pothead in the house. Unfortunately, he's licensed. He smokes every single fucking day and the smell is so bad that I can't even breathe in the living room. Luckily, my poorly-ventilated bedroom, with shut window and blocked heater vent, is safe (hardly).
Weed has to be one of the most disgusting and retarded things ever discovered. And of course, he has to light up right when I'm trying to do homework.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: September 24, 2009, 09:25:51 pm »
I was in a car accident a couple hours ago. Driving the hotel (yes I work in a hotel) shuttle van from the airport to the hotel, a tiny car pulled right through a stop sign without stopping on my right. I slammed on the brakes and tried to turn to miss her but I couldn't even slow it down.

Everybody was ok, my neck is just a little tight. What a day!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #4082 on: September 24, 2009, 10:02:15 pm »
Damn.

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: September 24, 2009, 10:05:47 pm »
ouch. you sure youre okay?

ugh god this is the worst. while dealing with a big box of heavy crap today at work, i pulled something in my back. so now it hurts a lot. good news is that mia gave me a back massage.
 :oops:
i love her so much.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: September 24, 2009, 10:37:49 pm »
It was like this. Except automotive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RARdl9qqJk

And yes, I'm fine (no missing limbs!), but the vehicles are not. I really shouldn't speak so soon, as the worst neck and back injuries are prone to showing up the next day. But if I can refrain from cracking my neck I'm sure I'll be ok.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: September 25, 2009, 12:17:47 am »
There will never be green space in a dense city.  If someone wants green space, they gotta move out of town for it.  There's plenty out there for everyone.

You gotta get yourself up to the Pacific Northwest sometime. I think it's only partly a physical space availability issue. There's also the issue of regional density and cultural values.

Discovery Park:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Discovery+Park,+Seattle,+WA&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=31.564064,79.013672&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=14

Seward Park:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Seward+Park,+Seattle,+WA&sll=47.66441,-122.4212&sspn=0.026185,0.077162&ie=UTF8&ll=47.555851,-122.248263&spn=0.01312,0.038581&t=h&z=15

The Arboretum, along with Interlaken and Boren Parks:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Arboretum,&sll=47.634743,-122.292252&sspn=0.012377,0.038581&ie=UTF8&radius=0.9&rq=1&ev=zo&ll=47.634887,-122.296629&spn=0.012377,0.038581&t=h&z=15

All of these are in the city proper. These are some of the biggest spaces; there are hundreds of smaller ones, both public and private. Additionally, within the Seattle Metropolitan Area we have things like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Issaquah_Alps

Our official city nickname is The Emerald City!

We have a pothead in the house. Unfortunately, he's licensed. He smokes every single fucking day and the smell is so bad that I can't even breathe in the living room. Luckily, my poorly-ventilated bedroom, with shut window and blocked heater vent, is safe (hardly).
Weed has to be one of the most disgusting and retarded things ever discovered. And of course, he has to light up right when I'm trying to do homework.

Ugh, I am with you on that. What turns me off about marijuana is that it smells disgusting, takes away your self-control, and has this culture of hypocritical dedication and admiration surrounding it that borders on religious zeal. ("Hypocritical" because many of the people who use it can be very judgmental in other areas, but bristle at the slightest criticism of their addiction or hobby or whatever.) The worst part is the smell when someone else in the building decides to partake, and I've got my windows open to alleviate the warm weather. It's on the short list of things in this world that I'm willing to pass judgment on without having participated in firsthand. I'm proud to say that, other than alcohol, I've never used a recreational drug of any kind, except for secondhand smoke exposure at a few company parties. (And as for alcohol, I'm proud to say that I've never been drunk, although I once got pretty close by getting way more than I bargained for from a jello shot on an empty stomach at an Irish pub on Saint Patrick's Day.) The only good thing I can say about weed is that Carl Sagan used it.

I don't know what it is about me that inspires the thought, but many people tend to assume that I'm a fan of that stuff. I am definitely not. I used to be in favor of the present prohibition on light drugs, and have only recently shifted to a neutral stance--solely because of the socioeconomic problems caused by the illegality of this widely used substance. The drug war didn't work, so I am reluctantly forced to conclude that legal regulation is the best way ahead.

Anyhow, I am totally with you on this. It's hard to find people who share my viewpoint who do so for my reasons rather than out of religious prudery or conservative hypocrisy. ("Hypocrisy" because they light up as much as anyone else.)

I was in a car accident a couple hours ago. Driving the hotel (yes I work in a hotel) shuttle van from the airport to the hotel, a tiny car pulled right through a stop sign without stopping on my right. I slammed on the brakes and tried to turn to miss her but I couldn't even slow it down.

Everybody was ok, my neck is just a little tight. What a day!

Very lame. At least you all lived through it, but, because of that, I'm afraid the worst is yet to come, in the form of insurance actions, potential lawsuits, and your own job security. Very lame indeed.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: September 25, 2009, 12:48:38 am »
After searching VGMdb.net, I've determined that the Albums & Doujins page is missing...

40 entries.

Updating the Compendium just got harder, but the Chrono Series Music Archive will be significantly more complete because of this. Now, to get searching...

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: September 25, 2009, 10:58:52 am »
My apartment complex officially changed owners and management yesterday. Our first notice that this was going to happen was also yesterday.

On the plus side, at least the old management company, which had a habit of this sort of behavior (not giving people sufficient notice of changes), won’t be able to do this to us again. On the minus side, this new company has an F rating with the BBB.

The drug war didn't work, so I am reluctantly forced to conclude that legal regulation is the best way ahead.

Question: since the "war" on sex-crimes has failed in a very similar way to the war on drugs, should sex-crimes likewise be made legal and regulated?

Now, that question contains at least two logical fallacies; however, the point is that just because we've consistently failed to properly control certain illegal behavior does not mean that the legal-status of that behavior is wrong. For me, at least, there needs to be a better reason to legalize illicit drugs other than "well, making them illegal didn't work out so well."

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: September 25, 2009, 11:17:40 am »
For me, at least, there needs to be a better reason to legalize illicit drugs other than "well, making them illegal didn't work out so well."

Honestly, Thought, I agree with you. But by taking a neutral stance, I can let other people figure it all out. I won't try and stop anyone from articulating and advancing a position.

Edit:
Question: since the "war" on sex-crimes has failed in a very similar way to the war on drugs...

I don't agree with you on this, though. We've made considerable gains in bringing sex crimes out into the public eye and even reducing their incidence in some cases.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 11:19:29 am by Lord J Esq »

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: September 25, 2009, 07:41:36 pm »
After searching VGMdb.net, I've determined that the Albums & Doujins page is missing...

40 entries.

Updating the Compendium just got harder, but the Chrono Series Music Archive will be significantly more complete because of this. Now, to get searching...

Egad, Z.  I do not envy you.  I just read your post in the Compendium Discussion forum.  I've had a hard enough time keeping personal projects going for months at a time, but all of my personal projects have also been finite in the sense that they are could effectively be completed.  After five years and no end date in sight I'd definitely go through periods of crazy frustration.

My personal frustration:  I'm currently frustrated at the fact that the fact that the people who were supposed to have installed a dryer vent in my house have not done so yet, because the dryer tube is currently just running into a hole in the floor that leads under the house.  Guess what comes in from under the house.  Mice!  I just caught mouse number 3 today in the humane trap, and released her, but I had to clean out quite a bit of stuff she left behind in the trap.  I've also had to clean up way too many mouse "remnants" from my kitchen.  I've been careful, but I'm more than a little concerned about the possibility of contracting some kind of hantavirus from all of this, especially since the mice have been hanging around in the kitchen regularly.  Not-so-fun fact: 30% of hantavirus cases on record have been fatal.  I found out that lovely statistic today.

I'm bringing this before the "board" Monday and pretty much demanding that they install a vent immediately.  I also don't think I'll be using the humane trap anymore.  This has turned into too much of a "me or them" situation.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: September 25, 2009, 08:04:41 pm »
The problem with doujin is that there are so many of them and they have such limited print runs that it's easy to overlook one...or a dozen...or a hundred, for that matter.

@Uboa:  In my experience, the best mousetraps have fur and four legs and make a meowing sound. And they're even self-cleaning.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: September 26, 2009, 05:07:46 am »
I'm an idiot and ate a tonne of M&Ms a few hours ago.  So, naturally, I'm hyped up on sugar and can't sleep.  And it's my own damn fault, heh.  Ah well.

Zephira--that sucks.  : /  People are so inconsiderate.  Ugh.

Mr Bekkler--WOW.  I'm sorry.  >_<  I'm so glad you're okay!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: September 26, 2009, 05:11:12 am »
Damn. I got myself so worked up and passionate that I can't go to sleep, even though I need to be up in a few hours. It takes a lot not to simply stay up and keep working, but I know staying up all night is hardly ever worth it.

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Roar through the flames of time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: September 27, 2009, 11:51:12 am »
I despise when a teacher prepares a test and the study material for said test, and then in the end, said test has different information upon it that said study material, thus one fails that very test.

And then becomes unprivileged due to family members who do not accept or tolerate grades such as, even if it is possible to bounce back and make an easy comeback from it.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: September 27, 2009, 12:30:28 pm »
The term "such as". Ever since that South Carolina chick's horrible speech, I can't stand when people use it, mostly because it's so frequently used incorrectly.

No offense, TK, but others around here have done it too.