Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484807 times)

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #3540 on: August 07, 2009, 03:49:19 pm »
Very stressed out right now.

I have 7 hours to correspond with this guy helping me with my perl program. I have one semi important problem on it that won't get my website to load on the teacher's server due to file writing restrictions, and I have to change that now, but can't seem to figure that out. If the website won't load, I will get an F on this assignment too, and it's a nastier F than last time because this assignment is worth 20 percent of my grade. Worst comes to worst, I will get a "D+" in the class and I *may* end up on academic probation.  Let's hope that even if I do fail the assignment (and I'm really trying hard to figure my problem out), I may not get on academic probation and my GPA would just take a nasty plunge hitting JUST above the 3.0 mark. I was pretty happy with my 3.5, but I will be ok as long as I'm not on academic probation.

Oh please don't make me go on academic probation, perl : (.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: August 07, 2009, 07:26:02 pm »
I was frustrated last night by the widespread lack of appreciation for Shakespeare in that thread on the polling board. It's one thing to prefer the Chrono series to the works of Shakespeare, but the way people were talking made it clear that Shakespeare is over their heads. I guess it's better this way; worse would be if they merely claimed to appreciate Shakespeare (or anything else) without actually being able to do so. Still, it points to glaring incompetence in our education system and affirms our stark lack of regard for intellectualism as a society.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #3542 on: August 07, 2009, 07:40:12 pm »
I didn't even notice that thread... Maybe it's because other people didn't too. I thought the polling thread was only for chrono stuff.

Anyway, I am a huge fan of shakespeare. I'll go vote now, if the poll isn't closed.

Edit: I found the thread you were talking about and it kind of bothers me too. I don't understand how people can make such threads. Chrono fans are so weird >_>;
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 07:43:50 pm by ZaichikArky »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #3543 on: August 07, 2009, 08:15:08 pm »
I haven't gone over all of Shakespeare's works, but those I did seemed like events were pulled out of bad sitcoms. The comedy was great, but the rest seemed boring. My best guess is that I'm missing something in terms of context with his times or something...I'm not a fan of sonnets either, really...

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #3544 on: August 07, 2009, 08:30:04 pm »
I'd blame it more on the educational system forcing Shakespeare on us since 4th grade(I was in the honors program, so that might have something to do with it, but I digress). As I said, I like Hamlet, Macbeth and Julius Caeser, probably because of my interest in history.

The word "appreciate" in this context has always baffled me though. I understand his work, and its importance, but I certainly can't say I "appreciate" having to read it.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #3545 on: August 07, 2009, 08:35:51 pm »
The cramming of Shakespeare that we get throughout the school system works well for some(like me) but backlashes with others. I have read so many Shakespeare plays throughout school, and some in University too. In Uni summer school, I took a very special writing class for my last GE where we had to see 3 Shakespeare plays (my college town puts on a sort of Shakespeare festival during the summers) and then write analytical reviews about them. It was really exciting for me since I LOVED King Leer and that was one of them I saw.. and with superb acting too. I like his dramas a ton, but don't like his comedies. His comedies are kind of lost to me... I just don't  get most of the humor because what was funny 600 years ago doesn't always translate to being funny in modern times so easily. Teh dramaz, though, it is all still so relatable to me even in these days.

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: August 08, 2009, 06:01:13 am »
I've been restless all day.  I hate being restless.  I wasn't even able to concentrate on work tonight, so I took the night off to drink and watch Homicide.

Ehh... I guess that's not so bad. 

Zaichik, hope your perl assignment went alright.  I still have nightmares about college predicaments like that!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3547 on: August 09, 2009, 11:57:54 am »
You've probably heard about the helicopter and small plane collision in New York City that left 9 dead. While reading about it at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/08/helicopter-small-plane-co_n_254625.html, I read this quote from a lady who was supposed to board the helicopter but didnt:

I feel very, really lucky," Casali said. "I think God was in our life. Today is the beginning of a new life, to catch every moment, every minute of this life.

God was in your life, eh? If God was awake during this, why didn't his holiness fucking stop the helicopter and plane from colliding and killing those other 9 people? Does God just have a thing for people with the surname Casali?

I mean, how fucking insensitive is a statement like that? Fuck religion.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #3548 on: August 09, 2009, 04:17:20 pm »
Somebody here forgot to clean the cheese grater before putting it back up. So, I go to grate some cheese for omlettes this morning, and see that inside of the grater is almost completely covered in old, dried cheese. It took nearly ten minutes to scrape off the inside of that panel enough to be usable, but it still isn't completely clean. I think that is going to be my (disgusting) project for the day.

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #3549 on: August 09, 2009, 09:56:40 pm »
You've probably heard about the helicopter and small plane collision in New York City that left 9 dead. While reading about it at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/08/helicopter-small-plane-co_n_254625.html, I read this quote from a lady who was supposed to board the helicopter but didnt:

I feel very, really lucky," Casali said. "I think God was in our life. Today is the beginning of a new life, to catch every moment, every minute of this life.

God was in your life, eh? If God was awake during this, why didn't his holiness fucking stop the helicopter and plane from colliding and killing those other 9 people? Does God just have a thing for people with the surname Casali?

I mean, how fucking insensitive is a statement like that? Fuck religion.

Yes, how insensitive a statement like the one you just made. The woman is grateful for being alive, due to something so lucky, so off-chance that it can only be described as a miracle, religious interpretation or not, and you seem to interpret it as a slam against the people who weren't so lucky.

I could go over it and explain to you why things turned out the way they have, but from what I've heard you used to be extremely religious, so you ought to know yourself.

Hell, this woman even encourages living life to the fullest, something you're rather fond of.

I've got to wonder, Z, how different your reaction would've been to her statement if she had mentioned something like an abstract secular force such as fate or karma, guiding the events instead of God.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3550 on: August 09, 2009, 10:58:12 pm »
Yes, how insensitive a statement like the one you just made. The woman is grateful for being alive, due to something so lucky, so off-chance that it can only be described as a miracle, religious interpretation or not, and you seem to interpret it as a slam against the people who weren't so lucky.

It isn't that the woman is grateful for being alive (of course that's not a bad thing), it's that she's thanking some fantastic force she believes in that could've easily prevented the deaths of an extra nine people. She's (presumably) not super ignorant to these others, but it has to be pointed out.

What's scary is that a lot of religious folk would probably say something like, "Oh they must've been sinners if God didn't save them". So much for "God forgives all sins, he loves everyone", eh?

I've got to wonder, Z, how different your reaction would've been to her statement if she had mentioned something like an abstract secular force such as fate or karma, guiding the events instead of God.

Fate and karma are bull too, so no difference there.

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #3551 on: August 09, 2009, 11:14:02 pm »
What's scary is that a lot of religious folk would probably say something like, "Oh they must've been sinners if God didn't save them". So much for "God forgives all sins, he loves everyone", eh?

She said nothing even resembling that, and its not fair to compare her as an individual Christian woman to the bigoted religious activists that Z seems to see every time religion is even mentioned.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #3552 on: August 09, 2009, 11:14:33 pm »
Fate isn't bull, she just can't access her Frozen Flame right now :fuk
If you want to see an example of a good, not-bull miracle, watch (or read) Watchmen.

Frustration: Blockbuster doesn't have this movie I want to buy. Meanies.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: August 10, 2009, 12:39:23 am »
She said nothing even resembling that, and its not fair to compare her as an individual Christian woman to the bigoted religious activists that Z seems to see every time religion is even mentioned.

Your mistake is to think that bigotry is always malevolent. It often ends up that way, but many people do not intend to inflict the harm that they nevertheless do inflict.

ZeaLitY's point is 100 percent legitimate, and I could not have put it better myself, so I won't even try. Take your ball and go home. When Christians use their faith to stroke their own egos at the expense of anything and everything else, I can think of no other word for it but "disgusting." Granted, she's thankful to be alive and perhaps she can be forgiven for some emotional overwhelm during this time, but I bet you that, in a few days from now, when the emotions have faded away, she'd still say the exact same thing. Those kinds of people usually do.

If you don't like our frustration at that, then go complain to your All-Loving God.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: August 10, 2009, 01:42:51 am »
Why is it when I show up here every so often that we have a new smiley?

First this:  :franky

And now this: :kz

Second, let her think what she wants to think Z, don't shun someone because of their beliefs, or you're just a douche. Sure her statement is a little dumb, but hell, I once thought like that, hell, I hated science. Now I love it, and hate God apparently. Not too happy with him lately.

Third frustration, I told Alice that I think Anne Hathaway is attractive and now she's mad at me. Damn, first you're angry because I wont answer the question and now you're angry because I answered it.

I just don't get women sometimes...