Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484549 times)

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #2100 on: February 20, 2009, 08:19:26 am »
...fail because I wouldn't give her the answer.

That is lame.  You have plenty of time to study and to understand, whereas she is a wife, a mother and possibly working at the same time as her studies and you couldn't just give her the answer in the end?   Sure its great to try to make her understand but seriously...

As for ain't, it seems like a more efficient word, as it can replace most contractions that contain "not".  It just so happens to be used and/or associated with stupid people.  I don't like using it myself.

edit :sun stoner  8)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 08:32:48 am by placidchap »

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: February 20, 2009, 08:23:15 am »
Alright, now I am not computer savvy so perhaps someone can explain this to me.

For about 6 months now I've been jacking wireless internet from my neighbor and it has been working fine. Yes, yes I know I am a horrible person or whatever. So, my cheap ass finally shells out some cash to get wireless internet of my own and now my own wireless internet is slower than the one I was getting for free!

You realize that when you use some else's wireless internet, they can easily see all your IMs, e-mails, and HTTP traffic, right? It's just as easy to filter for passwords and usernames, then build a list of what you commonly used to try on the encrypted sites you visit like banking sites and what not.

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: February 20, 2009, 10:27:43 am »
I hate the people who misuse their grammar constantly. I've called people on it frequently, but I get rude remarks. Ugh. My sister was once part of a group in high school that wandered around their school with markers. They corrected every grammar mistake they saw. Of course, the groups who put up their signs took them down, then put them back up with the same mistakes.

Ugh. Take a hint.

My frustration right now is Yahoo!. I'm trying to send my literary genius to my teachers as I told them they'd get to read it before it came out. And edit it and such. But when I first sent the story, it apparently got to NO ONE. So I had to resend it. If it doesn't get there, I'll have to find a file hosting site that the school hasn't blocked. Or a proxy that they can use that the school hasn't blocked.

idioticidioms

« Reply #2103 on: February 20, 2009, 10:46:13 am »
Well, my frustration is people who have their assholes so tight as to hate on people who don't use correct grammar. What makes you think you're so much better than they are?

Fucking elitists piss me the fuck off. If you aren't correcting someone else for their mistakes, you're thinking you're better than someone else.

teaflower

• Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: February 20, 2009, 10:52:29 am »
I usually try not to be elitist, as I've seen my own mistakes and I point them out. I can't focus on anything at once (someone's playing a driving game and I can't stop watching them) and I'm not so quick on my feet and I can't really think of much right now. But I've seen the mistakes I make in my writing, so...

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: February 20, 2009, 11:24:32 am »
Well, my frustration is people who have their assholes so tight as to hate on people who don't use correct grammar. What makes you think you're so much better than they are?

Fucking elitists piss me the fuck off. If you aren't correcting someone else for their mistakes, you're thinking you're better than someone else.

It's not about being better than them, but idiots who write "THERE THE BEST" on the ground with chalk...are idiots {saw this earlier this year during the "orientation week" at the university that I go to).  I'm not saying that I am perfect but it is annoying when people don't even know how to use there/they're/their properly or have a general lack of grammar skills.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: February 20, 2009, 11:47:08 am »
ehh... homophones barely count as bad grammar; even masters at the language are quite capable of switching them up.

There/Their/They're all sound the exact same; if you were to read the sentance aloud, you would never know that there was "bad grammar" in it.

A double negative, on the other hand ("ain't no" being one such example) doesn't work regardless of if it is written or spoken.

They're still bad, but the only way to catch them usually is to proof read your wrote. Most other grammatical errors, however, can be solved through increased understanding of the topic.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #2107 on: February 20, 2009, 12:16:30 pm »
I just hate it when people who are trying to make me look stupid use terrible grammer. It's quite funny, however.

EDIT: Sorry and thanks to all who corrected me! I feel so stupid...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 07:53:18 pm by HyperNerd »

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: February 20, 2009, 01:10:23 pm »
I don't know why but for some reason bad grammar almost always bugs me.  Especially double negatives.  Although that's not the only topic on which I'm a bit of a critic.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2109 on: February 20, 2009, 02:45:39 pm »
I once saw grafitti saying "WER CRAZY BIG TAM".

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #2110 on: February 20, 2009, 03:04:05 pm »
I just hate it when people who are trying to make me look stupid us terrible grammer. It's quite funny, however.

Use. Grammar.

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: February 20, 2009, 03:19:09 pm »

I would consider myself a grammar Nazi and spend an inane amount of time correcting others in their online conversations if not for a few issues.

One, my keyboard is old as fuck.  Half the time when I'm typing fast several keys don't register as being hit, and I find myself constantly going back and correcting what I type because of it.  I'm sure I'm not the only person in the world who has shitty equipment to type with, so when I see others make the mistake of missing a letter in a word, I usually let it slide.

Two, language barriers.  It's a vast internet out there, and half the people on it are fortunate enough to know any English at all to communicate with me on the same level.  I won't say any names, but I'm pretty sure English isn't the first language for at least one of the compendium regulars, and any urge to correct their grammar on this board is stifled because I tell myself that very fact.

Three, people make mistakes.  I go back and fix grammar errors in my posts about 50% of the time.  I can't stand seeing errors in what I type, so I fix it, but I'm not immune to making them.  Some people don't bother to go back and check over their posts, after all, it's not like this is an essay being graded or anything.  So while I appreciate people avoiding errors, I understand that making them happens to everyone, and I can't expect everyone to be going over their work with a fine comb.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: February 20, 2009, 03:34:05 pm »
I just hate it when people who are trying to make me look stupid us terrible grammer. It's quite funny, however.

Use. Grammar.

:picardno

It is grammatically improper to use incomplete sentences.

Besides which, "us" is really more of a spelling mistake than a grammatical mistake.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 03:39:16 pm by Thought »

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: February 20, 2009, 06:26:22 pm »
So I decided I wanted my ears pierced again, so I gauged it to an 8 and fucking ripped the lobe. Will I need to take it out and let it heal, or can I keep it in as long as I clean it.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: February 20, 2009, 07:04:01 pm »
So I decided I wanted my ears pierced again, so I gauged it to an 8 and fucking ripped the lobe. Will I need to take it out and let it heal, or can I keep it in as long as I clean it.

Gauged it to an 8

Jesus fuck. Of course it's gonna rip your ear lobe.