Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 484533 times)

TriforceofEternity

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #1800 on: January 31, 2009, 04:12:18 pm »
I am frustrated that I might have mad a bad thread cause I am very curious to this question.            http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,6921.0.html  But from the results I can easily see flames happen.        Discussion threads usually do that for me. :picardno :picardno

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1801 on: January 31, 2009, 04:18:59 pm »
I...don't see any flames...But it IS a rather...odd idea for a thread...>_>

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #1802 on: January 31, 2009, 06:19:27 pm »
Frustration: that somehow the grammar of 'it was not the questioning but the answering that he found difficult' is causing me a pain to translate into Greek. How to differentiate this from 'he found not the questioning but the answering difficult.'? Seems that it's a relative clause, but must it be? Argh. This is aggrivating me.

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: January 31, 2009, 06:21:28 pm »
... Greek hurts my head.

My knee still hurts. And I now hit my elbow. Oww...

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #1804 on: January 31, 2009, 07:04:02 pm »
... Greek hurts my head.

My knee still hurts. And I now hit my elbow. Oww...

I tell ya, Latin prose composition is so much easier. I'd rather do Latin verse composition even than this Greek. The problem is, it's so idiomatic! There are so many intricacies of using infinitives and participles and what not, not to mention figuring out what the English is in the first place.

That's actually the trouble I'm having, trying to figure out what kind of construction it is to say 'it was not (such) but (such) that he found difficult.' I think it's a more complex way of saying 'he did not find (such) but (such) difficult', through the use of a relative clause (the what, I suppose, is a relative pronoun.) That far I've gotten, but I think it's really the 'it was' that's messing me up here. Often something like that denotes an impersonal verb (ie. it was neccessary, or something like that), but here it's just being used as a demonstrative. My question then becomes, should I translate it as the demonstrative with the verb 'to be' in there, as a literal translation from the English, or should I turn it about, basically making 'he found difficult' the sole verb (further headache, how do you say 'he found it difficult'... use eurisko with khalepos, a verb for finding with an adjective agreeing with... which words? With the (such) ones? And can eurisko be used in this way, or is that purpose an English phrasing (because it is finding quite literally... it's the root for when we say eureka.)) So it's a grammatical headache, to be sure. Couldn't they have phrased it a tad more simply? Becuase I really don't know what to do in this case.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: January 31, 2009, 07:09:58 pm »
Headache like I thought I'd never believe. Took Tylenol and a decongestant, since it's just sinuses, but damn, it hurts.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: January 31, 2009, 07:39:46 pm »
Headache like I thought I'd never believe. Took Tylenol and a decongestant, since it's just sinuses, but damn, it hurts.

Massage your scalp (or get someone to do it for you)...a lot of times with a headache it is because your cranium has tightened for some reason.  If you'll notice, tghe skin is a little more tight up there than usual, is it not?  Massage the scalp, improve circulation, bring more blood/oxygen to brain, help relive headache.  This coupled with some sort of pain releiver, be it acetametaphen(sp?) or ibuprofen or aspirin, will help loads.

-Dr. Shee

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: January 31, 2009, 07:42:15 pm »
Frustration: When people don't take sufficient care of their animals.

Me: "Is your dog on heartworm prevention?"
Dumbshit: "What's that?"

...and lo and behold I do the heartworm test and it is positive. Now all because you wanted to save a few bucks a month you face a choice of either paying $700 for heartworm treatment or letting your "beloved" dog die. The animal depends on you for his well being. If a person is not willing to financially support the necessary medical requirements for an animals health then they don't deserve to have an animal in the first place. Period.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 08:08:25 pm by chrono eric »

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: January 31, 2009, 08:03:53 pm »
Holy shit... Poor doggy.

teaflower

• View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: January 31, 2009, 08:58:17 pm »
People who don't take care of their animals sicken me. Fat dogs and cats make my soul burn, and underfed critters hurt even more. I try and do my part to take care of my cats, although Maud doesn't eat much because she's afraid of Rosie and is thus quite bony. But I tell them that I know they love me because I put food and water in their dishes and make sure their litter boxes aren't completely gross.

Good news! My knee is a whole lot better. I guess that walk was what I needed... although I almost fell on my ass due to ice...

New gripe, though. I'm really hot. And not like that. I'm very... warm. I'd take off the blanket draping my shoulders, thus causing said warmness, but then because it's cold in this room, I'd have to put it back on.

Ugh.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1810 on: January 31, 2009, 09:15:05 pm »
Our puppy is a bit fat because he's too adorable to NOT spoil. D:

teaflower

• View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: January 31, 2009, 09:17:33 pm »
It's not chubby cats and dogs. It's morbidly obese animals that make me die a little inside. I like my animals to have a little squish to them, but not so much that s/he can't make it up the stairs.

EDIT: My brother was not aware of the Soul Calibur 3 data corruption bug.

See, what happens is if you delete old files made after the SC3 data on your memory card, there's a good chance that your SC3 data will corrupt. My brother didn't know this, so he cleaned out our memory cards and we lost everything on the game. It's both a blessing (see if I can make it through the story without Soul Calibur or Queen's Guard) and a curse (can't make any decent characters). But I'm okay with it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 09:38:14 pm by teaflower »

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: January 31, 2009, 10:50:17 pm »
At least you willfully attempt to take care of your pets. This person decided to get a pet with no knowledge or no desire to understand the necessary medical requirements to keep their pet healthy. Which to me is tantamount to animal abuse. It's the same as willfully keeping food from an animal, if you willfully keep medication from an animal, and then they suffer a debilitating condition because of that decision.

Luckily, the person decided upon treatment. But not before asking "is the treatment dangerous"? Well yes, it's dangerous, with death or paralysis as a worst case scenario. But seriously? Do you mean, dangerous as in not giving your dog heartworm medication so he ends up getting heartworms and would eventually suffer right sided heart failure if we didn't catch it dangerous? I will never understand people.

EDIT: And also, a good judge of ideal weight is that you should be able to feel your pets ribcage when you touch his sides, but not be able to see it when you look at him. If you can't feel it, he's got too much fat over it. If you can see it, he hasn't got enough.

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: February 01, 2009, 03:57:55 am »
My back has been @#$%ing killing me all day!

I woke up fine, not a pain in my body except stiff legs to stretch out.  Got up, took care of the three S's, and went to sit on the couch where my roomate was watching TV in the living room.  Then suddenly...

BAM!  Every goddamn muscle in my lower back tightens up like someone just put a taser to my kidneys.  I buckle over, fall back on the couch and try the usual remedies of slowly stretching and massaging the muscles, but nothing lets up.

I've prolly swallowed enough motrin to kill a medium sized dog today, and still the aching persists.

Back aches are bullshit.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: February 01, 2009, 04:00:38 am »
I just smashed my finger in a door. Nothing is broken, but typing is a bitch and its really badly bruised.