Author Topic: anti-theories  (Read 5113 times)

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
Re: anti-theories
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 05:45:47 pm »
Sorry for double-post

Kid in Radical Dreamers has white hair because she has partial albinism. This has an effect on her eyesight, which is why she relies on Magil for nearly all exploration and exposition in the game. Glasses stores remind her too much of Lucca so she never goes to one :(

Janus never went down to the Earthbound village until Schala brought him during Chrono Trigger. His "what a filthy hovel" line wasn't him being an asshole, he was just surprised at how different it was, especially since Schala loved to visit it so much.

Ozzie, Flea, and Slash each represent a suppressed trauma or part of Magus's personality. Flea is the gender confusion he experienced from having no real masculine role-model and being raised by/aspiring to be like Schala (hence the dress). Slash is a mixture of the dark things he had to do to rise to power (Dark Arts Swordsman. Uses corpses.) and a skewed sense of soldier honor (Frog solo ending). Ozzie is body image issues (Janus was a porkchop) and the feelings of being worthless (and he is, in a cosmic sense).

X4220

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 06:37:01 pm »
Planet (Entity) ultimate dream is to be cleansed of both Lavos and humans :shock:.

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 01:34:58 am »
Planet (Entity) ultimate dream is to be cleansed of both Lavos and humans :shock:.

I'm not sure that's an anti-theory.  Chrono Cross was hinting at this pretty strongly.  Consider the following NPC dialogue from Chronopolis:

"The life forms on this planet developed from single-celled microorganisms to protozones.  Then from fish to amphibians...  from reptiles to mammals...  and eventually to humans.  Beginning with a cerebral neocortex, which only exists in higher mammals...  The anthropod brain enlarged at an accelerating pace until it became the human brain we know.  Could the abnormal development of the human brain be the biological contamination caused by Lavos?  That would mean that humans are a heterogeneous life-form, or 'foreign matter', as far as the planet is concerned.  Humans are a sudden mutation caused by the contact with Lavos -- an alien life-form that fell to this planet from space.  That is why humans are, biologically speaking, unbalanced and half-finished.  Internally inconsistent and disconnected, the human existence is plagued by contradictions.  An incomplete species, torn between love and hatred, whose very being is self-contradictory.  From the planet's viewpoint, humans are just destroyers and a cursed, yet perhaps pathetic, blight on the world."

X4220

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 03:00:22 am »
I'm not sure that's an anti-theory. 
Well, I agree.
But, Planet helped in battle against Lavos (especially during CT).It would be another interesting twist in story if, after Time Devourer is destroyed, Entity says: ''Hey, thanks for removing that cancer from my body!But, now it is your turn to be obliterated, you abominable childrens of Lavos!"And, how do you fight against Planet?

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 02:08:58 pm »
Scientifically speaking, a planet probably wouldn't care too much about humanity one way or the other. For a real world example, even if we wiped out the entire human race in a very ecologically bad way, after a few hundred or thousand years the surface of the Earth would be just fine and could sustain life. For a canon example, look at what Mother Brain has to say about the planet eventually recovering.

Although that really throws the Entity=the Planet theory...

I like to go with the original Trigger explanation for Lavos's control over evolution. It cultivated humans, it didn't invent them. Plus there's the blatant plot hole of Ayla with the Cross explanation.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 05:21:07 pm »
-The Time Devourer is a being born from Schala's culminating rage, despair, and immense magic, maturing over thousands of years. When Schala is freed by the Chrono Cross, the Time Devourer materializes, creates a vessel for itself, and crashes into the planet 65,000,000 years in the past. This time travel results in a split of dimensions: the Reptite dimension, and the now Lavos infected dimension.

-Zoah is Crono
...'s OLD MAN.

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 09:34:12 pm »
-The Time Devourer is a being born from Schala's culminating rage, despair, and immense magic, maturing over thousands of years. When Schala is freed by the Chrono Cross, the Time Devourer materializes, creates a vessel for itself, and crashes into the planet 65,000,000 years in the past. This time travel results in a split of dimensions: the Reptite dimension, and the now Lavos infected dimension.

Can you say "time loop"?  :wink:

(As an aside, Kato might have had a time loop story in mind for Chrono Break, if that name is anything to go by.  If you discover that you're in a temporal causality loop, how would you "break" it?  Would you even want to?  Or would you, having discovered the loop, already have broken it?)

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 09:42:36 pm »
Leena is Crono and Marle's daughter. The red and gold circle on her hairband is the pendant, which stopped being green after Doreen left it.
: ;_;

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 10:40:43 pm »
Leena is Crono and Marle's daughter.
: ;_;

It's so obvious, that I wonder why Kato didn't pursue that arc.  That alone would have been a credible link to Chrono Trigger, and given Leena much more importance in the story.  Instead, we have to regard it as an anti-theory.   :cry: :cry: :cry:

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 12:58:17 pm »
Chrono and Marle didn't die, Dalton sucked them up in the time portals that open up for his golems. Crono got blasted 20-40 years back in time. Unable to escape the time period or find Marle he eventually found his way to El Nido in search for the Frozen Flame which many of the islanders spoke about. As time caught up to the fall of Guardia he disguised himself as the demi human, Sage.

Or, He's Crono's father.

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2012, 08:42:50 pm »
Although not obese by any means, Marle is actually somewhat overweight due to her sweet tooth and between-meal snacking. It doesn't impact her health significantly since she also exercises and eats her veggies, but it does explain why so white a girl can still have such a delightfully fine caboose.

:o SWEET LORD THAT BOOTAY

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2012, 08:55:36 pm »
Chrono and Marle didn't die, Dalton sucked them up in the time portals that open up for his golems. Crono got blasted 20-40 years back in time. Unable to escape the time period or find Marle he eventually found his way to El Nido in search for the Frozen Flame which many of the islanders spoke about. As time caught up to the fall of Guardia he disguised himself as the demi human, Sage.

Or, He's Crono's father.

You are a genius. Never noticed the avatar was so familiar until now.

And...mop!

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 12:52:53 pm »
Not an anti theory but along the same lines. I just NOW realized why Ozzie's catch-phrase is so weird. It's a baseball reference at first glance and with the name Ozzie you wouldn't think twice about it, but consider his Japanese name.

Vinegar's in a pickle.

:picardno I feel dumb for not noticing for the past, what, 17 years?

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 09:55:05 am »
this is one of the greatest threads Ive ever seen on a forum. what exactly is the baseball reference you allude to though, not sure I follow?

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 11:05:40 am »
this is one of the greatest threads Ive ever seen on a forum. what exactly is the baseball reference you allude to though, not sure I follow?

I agree, this thread is bangarang! :)

Baseball is (or was) popular in Japan, so it was probably a familiar saying. To be "in a pickle" is to be stuck between two bases while the opposing team has the ball and is throwing it between said two bases. Say you're on offense, you hit the ball and got to first, but kept going. The defense guy on first has the ball and you started running to second, the guy on first throws the ball to the guy on second, you have to go back to first so you don't get tagged out, but he might throw the ball back to first, so you're stuck between them until they throw and you find a way to get to a base. I'm not a sports guy so I don't know if I'm explaining this efficiently.

Basically it means you're trapped between two choices, both bad. The phrase originated from Shakespeare, so it's older than the sport (and has always meant "in a fix" or "in a bad situation", but the current popular use is for baseball. "Ozzie's in a pickle" meant, to me, that he could either stay and die, or run and upset Magus/lose his honor. Lose/lose.

But the reference only vaguely makes sense until you add the character's Japanese name, Vinegar, at which point the catch phrase becomes a pun. To physically make a pickle (the food), you soak a cucumber in vinegar. Vinegar is literally "in" a pickle.

So in the original Japanese script the catch phrase was a double entendre, a pun utilizing clever word play that would have actually worked well in the English script.

Like I said, not really a theory but something that was lost in translation.