Author Topic: Your best movies  (Read 4035 times)

Aitrus

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Your best movies
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 01:09:18 am »
Let's see...

Start with Trek, get it out of the way:
Star Trek II
Star Trek: First Contact

Recent movies:
Hero (Love it, just gotta read it instead of listen)
The Last Samurai
I, Robot
Batman Begins
Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

And everything else:
The Princess Bride (hilarious)
M*A*S*H
The Music Man
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Daniel Krispin

Your best movies
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 01:20:12 am »
Lord of the Rings, Gladiator, The Usual Suspects, Old Star Wars Trilogy, Braveheart, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, etc.

(Honestly, though, it's really hard to name the top ones, especially those I've not seen in a while... I mean, there are a lot of very good movies that I simply forget about in lists like this that may not be very top like Star Wars and the like, but are truly deserving of merit. Say, Princess Bride which someone just mentioned. Very good movie right there.)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Your best movies
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 01:37:23 am »
OK, I'll do a short, quick list...

Mulholland Dr.
Napoleon Dynomite
Donnie Darko
Kill Bill 1 & 2
Batman Begins
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn *favorite of the three Evil Deads*
Army of Darkness
Akira
Princess Mononoke

I also have to give props to X2 because it contains one of my favorite fight scenes ever between Logan & Yuriko.

And I also give props to Cowboy Bebop because Ed is, like, one of my favorite characters ever. She's seriously up there w/Magus, I think...

PROBABLY MORE L8R!!!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Your best movies
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2005, 04:29:44 am »
Dreams, directed by Akira Kurosawa

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Your best movies
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2005, 11:20:13 am »
AHAHAH evil dead, when I saw that movie I was like "wtf..." the zombie stab his leg with a pencil and the is so much blood it's imposible...

Unsual suspect eh? Since my father download alots of movie I saw alot of old movies, he has like 25 Zombie movies I didn,t knew so much existed.
I watched that movie and it was really good. :)

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Your best movies
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2005, 12:28:25 am »
:? Uh, but the Usual Suspects isn't a zombie movie...

Some people mentioned Kung Power: Enter the Fist...I like that (and own it), good movie...Although I was pissed that the previews showed all of the dumb parts (the cow matrix thing for example)...I wish I had seen it in the theaters.

Also, after watching both again, one for the third time and the other for the bajillionth, I became shocked and appalled when I realized I didn't mention either here...

First off...Ali G is byfar one of the funniest movies out there...Good times. I watched the show on HBO once a long time ago, it was hilarious.

And secondly, a movie I've watched many, many times...and consequently a book that I've read :P Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas. It's one of the most awesome movies I've ever had the opprotunity to watch. The book likewise kicks ass. It's based on the events that happened to the late-great, awesome, doctor of journalism himself, Mr. Hunter S. Thompson. MOURN HIS LOSS, WHICH IS OUR LOSS AS WELL!!!

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Your best movies
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2005, 01:23:25 am »
I knw the usual suspect isn't a Zombie movie I was just saying that my dad downloaded old movies like some Zombie movie and Usual suspect.

I watched yesterday "La guerre des mondes"  which would translated to "Worlds' War" ? Me and my friend were talking and he said we will probably jsut watch if for the specials effects and in fact we did because the story is absed on a novel and I bet they added the introduction it doesn't make sense with the story and you see that the guy watch stopped working but when the ripod begun killing people "WOW A CAMERA!" I won't tell more but there are two major things I could say but those would maybe spoil the movie so I'll leave it be.

Daniel Krispin

Your best movies
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2005, 01:31:59 am »
Quote from: DarkGizmo
I knw the usual suspect isn't a Zombie movie I was just saying that my dad downloaded old movies like some Zombie movie and Usual suspect.

I watched yesterday "La guerre des mondes"  which would translated to "Worlds' War" ? Me and my friend were talking and he said we will probably jsut watch if for the specials effects and in fact we did because the story is absed on a novel and I bet they added the introduction it doesn't make sense with the story and you see that the guy watch stopped working but when the ripod begun killing people "WOW A CAMERA!" I won't tell more but there are two major things I could say but those would maybe spoil the movie so I'll leave it be.

As far as it sounds, that introduction (and conclusion), sounds like a turn-of-the-century style of writing - after all, would they say 'God' in these days? - and thus is likely not written for the movie, but rather is directly from the book War of the Worlds by HG Wells. But as far as them having a bearing on the story... they most certainly did! They were inherently, and very well, tied into it. So, no, they didn't add the introduction, I am fully certain of that.

Now, the effects were good, but it was told in an interesting way so as to show the pure terror of an alien invasion. I think, however, I can guess one of the other flaws you think of. Now, no-one read this if they do not want to be spoiled (I'll make it small, you can copy it somewhere else and expand the font size): why couldn't the aliens be sealed off from the disease spread by the ameoba's, right? The thing is, the story seems to follow the book - though I've never read it - and when it was written some hundred years ago, there was no way to seal off an area from microbes. As for the introduction, again, it was speaking about the ameoba's, and though they seem insignificant to those used to the planet, they would be the doom to invaders.

As far as cameras and the like go, remember: the person holding the camera may not have been within the area of EMP effect.

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Your best movies
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2005, 01:47:09 am »
About the camere, why all the car around him stopped but not the camera...

for the flaws read the small words :P

I said the intro was certainly added, because it said that we were being studied hard by alien, but they never thoguh of a single virus...?

And somewhere they say that they didn,t care about the humans, but they were killing them one by one, sending cameras in absement to amke sure every human was dead...

That's my thouigh about it and I think I should read the book and see for myself if it's bette ror not.

lol I wnated to download the Audio Book, try once what it feel to lsiten to a book, so It ried two version, but I didn,t chekc the file size and I one was delayed because the user disconnected, now I got the other file I check the name it's the original broadcast that was on live radio and that made people run away from new York and all, it is poor quality, so I will wait for the auther one to finish but I wanted to share this with you.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Your best movies
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2005, 05:27:07 am »
Uh, I highly doubt that the "God" reference was in H.G. Wells' book because he was a vehement atheist if I remember correctly...

I tried reading the book once...It is very...VERY boring...The main guy in the book is basically running around london (or whereever...I forget...I think it was london though) for...oh, i dunno...over half of the book...which was as far as I could get w/o slitting my wrists. I wouldn't mind trying the radio broadcast sometime though...But doubt if I ever will...The old movie was great because of the awesome sound effects of the alien's lasers and stuff...GENIUS! Haven't seen the new one though...

CatchRBFivy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~catchRBFivy
Your best movies
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2005, 01:13:08 pm »
Anchorman
Napoleon
Star Wars: Episodes III-VI
Fight Club
Billy Madison
Happy Gilmore
Ocean's Eleven
Troy

and of course the greatest movie of all time

DAWN OF THE DEAD

it has anything you could ever ask for in a movie.  Shaun of the dead was ridiculous too, actually, i like any zombie movies a lot (28 days later counts, so does evil dead because it has the awesome ridiculousness in it that i like.)

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Your best movies
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2005, 03:07:47 pm »
Yeah, H.G. Wells was like Captain Atheist.  

But anyway, here's my list of awesome movies, in no particular order:

The Star Wars saga (I-VI)
Lord of the Rings
Batman Begins
Men In Black I & II
Hero
Happy Gilmore
Billy Madison
Army of Darkness
Kill Bill
Napoleon Dynamite
Indiana Jones trilogy
Braveheart
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Star Trek: First Contact
The Princess Bride
The Lion King
Toy Story I & II
Shrek I & II

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Your best movies
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2005, 06:15:39 pm »
Oh shit, yeah, I totally forgot Shaun of the Dead. That movie was great. Yeaaah boooiiiiiiii!!! They should make a 'survival' zombie video game more like that (and not on sucky XBOX...but that's another story).

And Hadriel, where's the Wrath of Khan love?

KHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Your best movies
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2005, 07:30:22 pm »
It was good, sure, but not good enough to be counted among my favorites.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Your best movies
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2005, 08:30:37 pm »
Yeah, really, I only mentioned it so I could yell out his name...It's so fun!