Author Topic: On the ethics of consciousness  (Read 3865 times)

Master Garland

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
On the ethics of consciousness
« on: January 17, 2012, 03:04:04 am »
Well Zeality I beg to know what makes you so sure of such matters. How am I so "wrong" and you so right?

There is a God, all existence in the universe cannot be just one cosmic accident. If it were the case the probabilities must be so minuet that it's very dubious to say the least. As for fetuses not feeling pain please give me some sources from at least 4+ establishments from a socoally neutral source(for example neither pro-choice or pro-life) for evidence.

As for seeds they contain the information for the genetic material that will make the tree be what it is. To put it plainly the sperm and the egg of the respective carriers in humans are the seed equivalent; while the developing fetus is the basic seedling so to speak. It is a proven fact that fetuses kick and move and even hear while in their mothers womb. The brain controls every impulse in which case a fetus has to posses active brain activity as well.

However, the fetuses feeling of individuality is obviously a thing it cannot calculate as it has not experienced the outside world or other living beings fully yet.

Oh well...   I guees I'm really just a mindless religious romantic 'sigh' what can I do. But no all you other people are always right and just and know everything sorry for ever doubting your genius:extensive sarcasm implied:

EDIT NOTE: I must rephrase one of my thoughts on my first post. A child should in all actuallity not be killed because she was raped. It would display better character and heart for her to bare said child but if she aborts it it is her choice albeit wrong as it is. I'll simply put it this way it is the womans choice completely though life is the best choice.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 03:20:48 am by Master Garland »

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 04:29:13 am »
The proof, and it is conclusive, regarding fetuses not feeling pain is simple, at least up to a point. The brain doesn't start to develop until 7 weeks after conception:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/prenatal-care/PR00112/NSECTIONGROUP=2

No brain, no pain. It's a simple as that. Thus, there cannot possibly be an ethical case for opposing abortion prior to seven weeks after conception.

I'm insufficiently versed in biology to comment on when the nerves needed for the perception of pain are in place, but this is likely known to science and may push the point of ethical certainty further out. The question of when precisely the brain is developed enough to have a conscious experience is trickier, but is of paramount importance: Until the fetus develops a conscious experience, the idea of an ethical case against abortion is a cruel joke.

Again, I ask you how it is that you claim not to be a misogynist while also holding that this unconscious cluster of cells is of greater ethical concern than a fully functioning woman?

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 06:20:36 am »
EDIT NOTE: I must rephrase one of my thoughts on my first post. A child should in all actuallity not be killed because she was raped.

You still didn't answer my question though.  Why is rape an acceptable reason to have an abortion?  Like I said before, if you are pro-life shouldn't you be against abortion completely?

It would display better character and heart for her to bare said child but if she aborts it it is her choice albeit wrong as it is.

Hmm.  Better character.  Can you comprehend the position and mindset of someone who has become pregnant through rape, Master Garland?

I'll simply put it this way it is the womans choice completely though life is the best choice.

Why not hold that position for all abortions, then?

Also, the "an aborted child could have done such and such amazing thing" argument doesn't hold much weight once you take into consideration that those aborted children could have been wife-beaters or serial killers.  I hate to invoke Godwin's Law, but it irks me when people make the "that kid could have been the next Einstein" comment.  For all we know the kid could have been the next Hitler.  The argument goes both ways.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 06:53:39 am by Sajainta »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 05:19:06 pm »
Greetings, Garland. I do hope you will not knock us all down! Gwahahahaha.

First, regarding Zeality, give it time. He’s like cheese: it takes a while to wrap your mind around why anyone would ever have thought to eat chunky, discolored milk (not that Z is chunky or discolored, by any means).

Anywho, I am curious as to if your stance is a political or personal one. That is, would you vote to outlaw abortion except in those circumstances you have listed?

Your economic notes are ones that I've never actually heard from a pro-choicer. When defining themselves, both sides tend to resort to a question of rights and morals, not costs and benefit analyses. Regardless, to sum up a reaction to it: even if the world is doomed from overpopulation, that does not justify killing an individual, but likewise, the world being able to support another individual does not justify the creation of that person. General economic considerations are ill-placed in this discussion.

As for your comments directed to Lord J esq, he has already said that he is likely to not be around much, particularly for new discussions, so it is unlike that he'll see, let alone respond, to you. However, if I might be so bold, I suspect he'd object to your supposition that a fetus is a substantially separate entity from the woman. This is, in part, a matter of "personhood" and when it begins. He decided not to address that issue when last we talked on the matter, and has since left, so I can't speak on how he might have defined it. For my own part, I like to use the term to use to mean an individual possessing the complete rights of a human (as relevant here, those would be the rights of life and self-determination). When personhood begins is a topic much debated. Again, for myself, I would say that there is insufficient evidence on this topic to make a firm stance anywhere (a stance which J disagrees with, to note).

However, since you are religious, perhaps I might be allowed to use the term "ensoulment," as it allows for slightly different arguments. Ensoulment would be the point at which the immortal soul enters the mortal flesh. The bible does not specify on what day this occurs, although there is good reason to assume that it is not at conception. The reason for this is simple: the majority of pregnancies end in spontaneous abortion, which themselves occur by far in the most part in the first trimester. This is a necessary side-effect of the process in which cells in general divide and in specific how gametes combine. Ensoulment during this period is problematic as it necessitates that we assume God arranged things so that the majority of souls entering into flesh would never be born. This then brings up the question of why God would create an inefficient universe. Furthermore, there is evidence in the Christian tradition to imply that ensoulment begins at birth. Baptism is supposed to represent a second birth, the passing of the old life and a starting of a new life. Birth, not conception, is the key analogy regarding the state and new life of a soul.

Note, I am not saying that ensoulment doesn't begin at conception, but merely that there are reasons to assume that ensoulment doesn't begin at conception, and that evidence to the contrary is lacking.

Since even on theological grounds this matter is unclear, the axiom "In essentials unity, in nonessentials liberty, and in all things charity," erring on the charitable side is the best course of action. Which is to say, to be loving. By vigorously opposing abortion, one creates an atmosphere of intolerance and hate (even if one is not these things oneself), which is contradictory to the great commission.

Even if you always maintain that abortion is wrong, it is still a necessity that you are fully charitable to those who support it and who partake in it. Wrong or not, people undergoing it still need social support and kindness. You would better direct your effort of opposing abortion by aiming at the source, not the manifestation. That is, instead of picketing abortion clinics (not saying you have, just an example), volunteer for planned parenthood, so as to help ensure that only those people who want children (and thus will not want an abortion) will get pregnancy. Volunteer with community watch programs to reduce the occurrences of rape. Volunteer with health organizations to ensure that those who do want to be pregnant get proper nutrition so as to avoid defects. Better to work to ensure that all women who get pregnant want to be pregnant, than to tell some that are that they have to stay that way.

@RD, both the central and peripheral nervous systems begin with the neural plate, which develops around prenatal day 19. That is just the beginning of the PNS, to note: I haven't been able to find out when it starts functioning. However, I would object to the statement "no brain, no pain." We shouldn't confuse the ability to be cognizant of pain with the ability to experience pain.

As for your other question, one needn’t hold that a cluster of cells is of greater “ethical concern” than a woman, just of equal concern. Many people hold that the right to life is supreme (except when life is being deprived for want of basic necessities, then the right of property is held as supreme), thus many people are willing to allow for the right of self-determination of the woman to be infringed in order to allow for the right of life. Often this same devil’s deal is involved in pro-lifers allowing for abortion in the case of the woman’s health. Of course, this does still require assuming that a cluster of cells is of equal to a woman, which seems misogynistic in itself.

@Faust, to play the devil's advocate, there is already the base assumption in society that bodily autonomy can be properly infringed upon when that autonomy threatens the individual. That is, if someone's trying to kill themselves, generally society feels it has the right to inject that it knows best and, in turn, feels it has the right to stop the individual. If that is permissible, then that seemingly creates a precedent for society also saying that in other cases an individual's bodily autonomy can be infringed upon. Why, then, not in this case? Or would you say that neither case is acceptable?

@ Saj, while I know you didn’t ask this of me, I suspect that a reason that many pro-lifers are willing to give an allowance for rape is that there is an underlying sense of legality that motivates the position. There is the supposition that if a woman is pregnant, then it is her own fault. They apply the phrase “if you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime” to the situation. There may be the sticking out of tongues, the putting of thumbs in ears, and the repeated use of the word “nyeh” or “neener” that accompanies this. Rape, however, is a recognized violation of this paradigm. Abortion, then, is acceptable because being pregnant is not the fault of the woman. She has not willingly done the crime, and thus it is perceived that she should be freed from the time.

One obvious problem with such a position is that pregnancy is then cast as a sort of punishment. Unfortunately, I suspect that even when pro-lifers are aware of this, they are alright with such a conception. Of course, under such a model, “life” really has nothing to do with if abortion is acceptable or not: abortion becomes an acquittal, and the pro-lifers have given no pardon to the crime of sex.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 06:21:08 pm »
Quote from: Thought
@Faust, to play the devil's advocate, there is already the base assumption in society that bodily autonomy can be properly infringed upon when that autonomy threatens the individual. That is, if someone's trying to kill themselves, generally society feels it has the right to inject that it knows best and, in turn, feels it has the right to stop the individual. If that is permissible, then that seemingly creates a precedent for society also saying that in other cases an individual's bodily autonomy can be infringed upon. Why, then, not in this case? Or would you say that neither case is acceptable?
Thanks Thought, this is an interesting challenge. I suspect we can draw a delineation between the two situations, just as there's a delineation between allowing a person to jump off a building and allowing a person to refuse medical care. However, I need to ponder more on where this delineation comes from (or should rightly come from). The best I can come up with for now is that it might revolve around whether the person is judged to be reasonably sane at the time they make a decision of bodily consequence.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 06:25:49 pm by FaustWolf »

Master Garland

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 03:26:18 am »
Greetings, Garland. I do hope you will not knock us all down! Gwahahahaha.

First, regarding Zeality, give it time. He’s like cheese: it takes a while to wrap your mind around why anyone would ever have thought to eat chunky, discolored milk (not that Z is chunky or discolored, by any means).

Anywho, I am curious as to if your stance is a political or personal one. That is, would you vote to outlaw abortion except in those circumstances you have listed?

Your economic notes are ones that I've never actually heard from a pro-choicer. When defining themselves, both sides tend to resort to a question of rights and morals, not costs and benefit analyses. Regardless, to sum up a reaction to it: even if the world is doomed from overpopulation, that does not justify killing an individual, but likewise, the world being able to support another individual does not justify the creation of that person. General economic considerations are ill-placed in this discussion.

As for your comments directed to Lord J esq, he has already said that he is likely to not be around much, particularly for new discussions, so it is unlike that he'll see, let alone respond, to you. However, if I might be so bold, I suspect he'd object to your supposition that a fetus is a substantially separate entity from the woman. This is, in part, a matter of "personhood" and when it begins. He decided not to address that issue when last we talked on the matter, and has since left, so I can't speak on how he might have defined it. For my own part, I like to use the term to use to mean an individual possessing the complete rights of a human (as relevant here, those would be the rights of life and self-determination). When personhood begins is a topic much debated. Again, for myself, I would say that there is insufficient evidence on this topic to make a firm stance anywhere (a stance which J disagrees with, to note).

However, since you are religious, perhaps I might be allowed to use the term "ensoulment," as it allows for slightly different arguments. Ensoulment would be the point at which the immortal soul enters the mortal flesh. The bible does not specify on what day this occurs, although there is good reason to assume that it is not at conception. The reason for this is simple: the majority of pregnancies end in spontaneous abortion, which themselves occur by far in the most part in the first trimester. This is a necessary side-effect of the process in which cells in general divide and in specific how gametes combine. Ensoulment during this period is problematic as it necessitates that we assume God arranged things so that the majority of souls entering into flesh would never be born. This then brings up the question of why God would create an inefficient universe. Furthermore, there is evidence in the Christian tradition to imply that ensoulment begins at birth. Baptism is supposed to represent a second birth, the passing of the old life and a starting of a new life. Birth, not conception, is the key analogy regarding the state and new life of a soul.

Note, I am not saying that ensoulment doesn't begin at conception, but merely that there are reasons to assume that ensoulment doesn't begin at conception, and that evidence to the contrary is lacking.

Since even on theological grounds this matter is unclear, the axiom "In essentials unity, in nonessentials liberty, and in all things charity," erring on the charitable side is the best course of action. Which is to say, to be loving. By vigorously opposing abortion, one creates an atmosphere of intolerance and hate (even if one is not these things oneself), which is contradictory to the great commission.

Even if you always maintain that abortion is wrong, it is still a necessity that you are fully charitable to those who support it and who partake in it. Wrong or not, people undergoing it still need social support and kindness. You would better direct your effort of opposing abortion by aiming at the source, not the manifestation. That is, instead of picketing abortion clinics (not saying you have, just an example), volunteer for planned parenthood, so as to help ensure that only those people who want children (and thus will not want an abortion) will get pregnancy. Volunteer with community watch programs to reduce the occurrences of rape. Volunteer with health organizations to ensure that those who do want to be pregnant get proper nutrition so as to avoid defects. Better to work to ensure that all women who get pregnant want to be pregnant, than to tell some that are that they have to stay that way.

@RD, both the central and peripheral nervous systems begin with the neural plate, which develops around prenatal day 19. That is just the beginning of the PNS, to note: I haven't been able to find out when it starts functioning. However, I would object to the statement "no brain, no pain." We shouldn't confuse the ability to be cognizant of pain with the ability to experience pain.

As for your other question, one needn’t hold that a cluster of cells is of greater “ethical concern” than a woman, just of equal concern. Many people hold that the right to life is supreme (except when life is being deprived for want of basic necessities, then the right of property is held as supreme), thus many people are willing to allow for the right of self-determination of the woman to be infringed in order to allow for the right of life. Often this same devil’s deal is involved in pro-lifers allowing for abortion in the case of the woman’s health. Of course, this does still require assuming that a cluster of cells is of equal to a woman, which seems misogynistic in itself.

@ Saj, while I know you didn’t ask this of me, I suspect that a reason that many pro-lifers are willing to give an allowance for rape is that there is an underlying sense of legality that motivates the position. There is the supposition that if a woman is pregnant, then it is her own fault. They apply the phrase “if you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime” to the situation. There may be the sticking out of tongues, the putting of thumbs in ears, and the repeated use of the word “nyeh” or “neener” that accompanies this. Rape, however, is a recognized violation of this paradigm. Abortion, then, is acceptable because being pregnant is not the fault of the woman. She has not willingly done the crime, and thus it is perceived that she should be freed from the time.

One obvious problem with such a position is that pregnancy is then cast as a sort of punishment. Unfortunately, I suspect that even when pro-lifers are aware of this, they are alright with such a conception. Of course, under such a model, “life” really has nothing to do with if abortion is acceptable or not: abortion becomes an acquittal, and the pro-lifers have given no pardon to the crime of sex.

Thank you so very much on the deep insight on the many topics brought about. Your post was indeed a very interesting read, I appreciate it. I always was more of a preventive action type of person over attacking after the fact sort of individual and so your statement of planned parenthood and such thing meets my position eye to eye.

As for the topic of ensloument I am under the impression that it must occur in the process of the fetuses development in the womb. In the Bible it states the Jesus was conceived by the holy spirit into Mother Mary also John the Baptist was filled with the holy spirit even before his birth. This information can be found in Luke 1 : 41-45 Elisabeth(mother of John) is filled with the Holy Spirit and Jesus and John still in their mothers wombs leap toward each other. 

I just want to add one little tidbit here. The reason for many of the inefficiencies found in nature namely the degrading of all things elements and such over time as well as the 2nd law of Thermodynamics etc is a result of the Curse laid upon the Earth after Adam sinned. In the beginning Earth was perfect and everything was lush, beautiful, and peaceful. There was no death or hate and animals and humans only ate vegetation it was a perfect world then.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 04:18:29 am »

Thank you for the information!

I'm not sure that I see the reason for your objection. It seems like this may be a distinction without a difference. I suppose the nerves responsible for signaling pain could be stimulated directly when not connected to a functioning brain, and in that case, pain would be experience in a technical sense, but assuming there was still a brain in the organism, simply not attached to that nerve, it would not cause any change to the conscious entity. I'm honestly baffled as to how this could have ethical weight.

Even if I concede that being anti-abortion "merely" requires holding a cluster of cells in equal regard to a woman (an opinion I disagree with, but don't find unreasonable) I maintain that such a position is still clearly misogynistic. I have allowed for the possibility, since it came up in another discussion on this topic, that an anti-abortion individual may hold a cluster of cells up to be of equal or greater value to a man as well as to a woman. This would be more properly termed misanthropy, but as that term doesn't carry weight as a condemnation, I prefer to state it that those individuals are misandrists in addition to being misogynists.

So, even being as generous to the anti-abortion side as I can, I must still conclude that to be opposed to abortion requires one to be a misogynist.

I hadn't thought of your particular wording on the absurdity of opposing an intelligent and effective health care system, particularly in regards to the hypocrisy in play when such views are held by anti-abortionists. I may have to steal it.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 03:10:04 pm »
As for the topic of ensloument I am under the impression that it must occur in the process of the fetuses development in the womb. In the Bible it states the Jesus was conceived by the holy spirit into Mother Mary also John the Baptist was filled with the holy spirit even before his birth. This information can be found in Luke 1 : 41-45 Elisabeth(mother of John) is filled with the Holy Spirit and Jesus and John still in their mothers wombs leap toward each other.

Well, it is important to note that the Holy Spirit is not a human soul. Indeed, unless you believe in modalism*, it isn't Jesus' "soul" either. Thus, it would be possible to be conceived by the Holy Spirit, or to be filled with the Holy Spirit, without necessarily having a soul.

As for the second part, it seems that you are suggesting that "leaping" is indicative of a soul. However, in Luke 19:40 it is said that if people stop praising God, then the rocks will cry out to do so. Does this lithic action then indicate that stones have souls?

Something else that might be worthwhile for you to consider is that the concept of the soul has evolved greatly over the last 2000 years. Under the old Jewish tradition, the soul was essentially your breath (when God breathed life into Adam, he was breathing into Adam a soul). Your last breath was your soul exiting your body, then. In turn, until one had taken their first breath, one did not have a soul. While neither Mary or Elisabeth state as much, from the Jewish tradition, it is reasonable to assume that they wouldn't have said that John or Jesus had a soul during the events you referenced.

Again, I am not saying that they didn't have souls at that point, just that one doesn't necessitate the other and that there is plenty of room and justification to interpret scripture in a different manner than you have.

*If you're not familiar with modalism, it is basically the belief that the three "persons" of the Trinity are just the same guy but in different modes. Sort of like in Transformers: Beast Machines, characters have a robot mode, a beast mode, and a vehicle mode. Under modalism, calling Jesus a different entity from the Holy Spirit would be like calling beast mode Optimus Primal a different being than vehicle mode Optimus Primal.

I just want to add one little tidbit here. The reason for many of the inefficiencies found in nature namely the degrading of all things elements and such over time as well as the 2nd law of Thermodynamics etc is a result of the Curse laid upon the Earth after Adam sinned. In the beginning Earth was perfect and everything was lush, beautiful, and peaceful. There was no death or hate and animals and humans only ate vegetation it was a perfect world then.

Would I be correct in assuming that you're a creationist, then? Probably a young-earth creationist? It might interest you to know, then, that within the Christian Tradition it wasn't until modern times that the Genesis account was widely taken as literal. St. Augustine of Hippo, for example, specifically warned against taking any one interpretation of the creation account as absolute truth. Thomas Aquinas as well. It has only been since the publication of The Origin of Species that a literalist interpretation of creation and Adam and Eve has come to gain such dominance. If I recall correctly (and I make no claim that I do), the main original proponent of the change was a seventh-day Adventist.

Even if that is put aside, if you review the biblical account, you will find no indication that original sin changed the universe to the extent that you describe. God is specific as to what changes occurred: the serpent lost its legs, the woman's labor pains increased, and the earth became less fertile. Nothing says that animals became meat eaters, that how human cells divided became different, etc. Those are things that are being supposed extra-canonically in order to support a specific interpretation, but they do not necessitate that that interpretation is correct, nor do those suppositions stem from canon. Indeed, take a closer look at the woman's curse: her labor pains increased, but were not created. Thus, pain existed before the fall. Why would there have been pain if it was a perfect world?

The answer, of course, is in the common misuse of the word "perfect." That word is meaningless unless the context is properly defined. A perfect hammer, for example, is a horrible quiche. Carnivores, entropy, wonderfully imperfect cell division (a necessity of life, mind you), etc, all can exist in a perfect world, depending on what one means by “perfect.” What you've described as existing before the fall isn't necessarily a perfect world, but it is a rather nice and easy one. The question is why did God create the universe, and if it is thus perfectly designed to satisfy that cause. Unless you know that cause, you can't say what fits with it and what doesn't.

I'm not sure that I see the reason for your objection. It seems like this may be a distinction without a difference. I suppose the nerves responsible for signaling pain could be stimulated directly when not connected to a functioning brain, and in that case, pain would be experience in a technical sense, but assuming there was still a brain in the organism, simply not attached to that nerve, it would not cause any change to the conscious entity. I'm honestly baffled as to how this could have ethical weight.

I'm not sure it has ethical weight for the topic of pain in specific, or even for the topic of abortion, but as a general philosophy, it has weight in other considerations. The "no brain, no pain" statement seems to indicate that unless one is aware of an experience, then that experience has no ethical significance. Does that seem like a valid interpretation of what you were saying?

Let's then apply that principle to a wildly different situation. A woman is drugged, passes out, and she is no longer cognizant of the events that subsequently transpire until she awakes. Under your model, as I understand it at least, drugging the woman might have ethical significance, but having sex with her while she is unconscious would not since she wouldn't have been cognizant of the event.

Or, in short, just because we might do something to a person or creature that it isn't aware of does not mean that those actions are in turn ethical. It doesn't mean that it is unethical, either, or non-ethical. Just that cognition isn't a good criteria to use.

(an opinion I disagree with, but don't find unreasonable)...

That was really my only goal. I wasn't trying to claim that it was free of bias, but rather to highlight the thinking that might lead someone to accept the position without realizing the bias.

I hadn't thought of your particular wording on the absurdity of opposing an intelligent and effective health care system, particularly in regards to the hypocrisy in play when such views are held by anti-abortionists. I may have to steal it.

Alas, I'm not sure what you're referring to, but regardless, feel free to steal!

Master Garland

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 07:33:56 pm »
Well, it is important to note that the Holy Spirit is not a human soul. Indeed, unless you believe in modalism*, it isn't Jesus' "soul" either. Thus, it would be possible to be conceived by the Holy Spirit, or to be filled with the Holy Spirit, without necessarily having a soul.

Interesting you mention this. The Bible states that we are filled with the Holy Spirit and tranformed to the image of God essentially. The kicker though is that we will not be souls forever in heaven we will posses new bodies that are re created to perfection we'll have bodies like Jesus has.

As for the second part, it seems that you are suggesting that "leaping" is indicative of a soul. However, in Luke 19:40 it is said that if people stop praising God, then the rocks will cry out to do so. Does this lithic action then indicate that stones have souls?

I am of the mindset that looks at fetuses and rocks under a fairly different light. It is true that the Bible uses many terms ie Mountains and waves to equate to people or nations in figurative terms. This example however is literal the two really did leap in the wombs of their mothers. As for weather or not they indended to leap is the thing to wonder. I believe it was influenced by the Lord and the Holy Spirit itself. I must add that Waves in the Bible as well as Mountais symbolize groups of people and nations respectively.

Something else that might be worthwhile for you to consider is that the concept of the soul has evolved greatly over the last 2000 years. Under the old Jewish tradition, the soul was essentially your breath (when God breathed life into Adam, he was breathing into Adam a soul). Your last breath was your soul exiting your body, then. In turn, until one had taken their first breath, one did not have a soul. While neither Mary or Elisabeth state as much, from the Jewish tradition, it is reasonable to assume that they wouldn't have said that John or Jesus had a soul during the events you referenced.

Yes indeed the viewpoint of many concepts in addition to that of souls have undergone substantial changes in interpretation over the centries in our worldy realm. The difference being is that the Word of God is never changing and retains itself throught all time it is what it is.

Again, I am not saying that they didn't have souls at that point, just that one doesn't necessitate the other and that there is plenty of room and justification to interpret scripture in a different manner than you have.

Just as I consider your points as well Thought.

*If you're not familiar with modalism, it is basically the belief that the three "persons" of the Trinity are just the same guy but in different modes. Sort of like in Transformers: Beast Machines, characters have a robot mode, a beast mode, and a vehicle mode. Under modalism, calling Jesus a different entity from the Holy Spirit would be like calling beast mode Optimus Primal a different being than vehicle mode Optimus Primal.

Yes I am familiar with Modalism. It is a rather simplistic way of interpreting the Trinity. With all things considered it seems to hold ground in any case. However the Trinity can also be something so complex that how it works may only be revealed to those in heaven with God. This is all conjecture mind you but most ideals regarding this matter are, considering the answer is never spoken of outright.

Would I be correct in assuming that you're a creationist, then? Probably a young-earth creationist? It might interest you to know, then, that within the Christian Tradition it wasn't until modern times that the Genesis account was widely taken as literal. St. Augustine of Hippo, for example, specifically warned against taking any one interpretation of the creation account as absolute truth. Thomas Aquinas as well. It has only been since the publication of The Origin of Species that a literalist interpretation of creation and Adam and Eve has come to gain such dominance. If I recall correctly (and I make no claim that I do), the main original proponent of the change was a seventh-day Adventist.

Your assumption is actually wrong. To be honest I am a bit in the dark on that matter. The reason being that in Genesis 1 before it even mentions Adam and Eve it talks of other Humans getting the command to be fruitful and multiply. This gives the impression that there were humans before Adam and Eve. May I also mention that there is what is called the "Gap Theory" this states that the account mentioned in Genesis is the second creation of Earth and it's inhabitants. It is implied that the mention of the humans before the mention of Adam etc has a unknown length of space in time between them who knows it could be millions of years or thousands. I also am rather curious of what the other unused ancient texts say of all this. When the canon of the Bible was put together by the Catholic Church some bits and pieces up to entire scrolls were left out. Those lost or hidden writings may reveal some much neede insight on the matter.

Even if that is put aside, if you review the biblical account, you will find no indication that original sin changed the universe to the extent that you describe. God is specific as to what changes occurred: the serpent lost its legs, the woman's labor pains increased, and the earth became less fertile. Nothing says that animals became meat eaters, that how human cells divided became different, etc. Those are things that are being supposed extra-canonically in order to support a specific interpretation, but they do not necessitate that that interpretation is correct, nor do those suppositions stem from canon. Indeed, take a closer look at the woman's curse: her labor pains increased, but were not created. Thus, pain existed before the fall. Why would there have been pain if it was a perfect world?

Indeed the Bible states what you said but in addition to it says that the ground will now bear thorns and thistles for you. Also God states before the fall of man that every seed bearing plant and vegetation shall be yours for food he never mentions killing animals for food in the beginning. The pain felt in Eves Labor before may  have been slight uncomfort but not total pain, however after the curse yes labor pains became what they are now. Yes I can agree that pain to degree existed before the fall.

The answer, of course, is in the common misuse of the word "perfect." That word is meaningless unless the context is properly defined. A perfect hammer, for example, is a horrible quiche. Carnivores, entropy, wonderfully imperfect cell division (a necessity of life, mind you), etc, all can exist in a perfect world, depending on what one means by “perfect.” What you've described as existing before the fall isn't necessarily a perfect world, but it is a rather nice and easy one. The question is why did God create the universe, and if it is thus perfectly designed to satisfy that cause. Unless you know that cause, you can't say what fits with it and what doesn't.

Points well taken. The world then was perfect in the sight of the Lord and made for the good pleasure of himself and his loved creation humankind. I imagin that he wanted his creation to be as happy as possible as well as having many unblemished peace and pleasure and communion with himself and so on. What better way to do this then to place them to exist in a paradise like the Garden of Eden. Imperfect Cell division is when a Cell divides it leaves less Genetic material than that of which the parent cell possesed. This is in essence the culprit of aging and degeneration. On the other hand Cancer cells are perfect in what they are and never degrade so they can replicate till hell freezes over unblemished. In this light we can see the necessity of imperfect cell division. Before the curse though cells most likely replicated and divided perfectly without danger of causing death or deformity.

It looks as though this topic has digreesed to a different realm than was previously set on.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 07:52:14 pm »
Wow, debating Christian theology on the Compendium. In a thread about stopping sexism, no less—something inherent and virtually foundational in most religions. I now declare the site to be officially, completely dead, and its original purpose and style totally perverted. The Chrono series is a dead franchise, and ROM hacking is lost here as well, but we at least still had the old guard of rationality. Now it's just a bunch of religious nutters.

Whatever. We had a good run while it lasted.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:55:37 pm by ZeaLitY »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 08:25:28 pm »
Z, stop being an ass.

The purpose of the majority of the discussion in the last few posts is clear. Even if you disagree with the means, you cannot disagree the intent of getting someone who has indicated that they aren't supportive of a woman's right to abortion to change their mind. That this is attempted through the means of a theological discourse is utterly unimportant: it is a matter of what the opponent is receptive to. If someone is receptive to philosophy, let us speak in philosophy. If one is receptive to mathematics, let us speak in mathematics. And yes, if one is receptive to theology, let us speak in theology.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 08:28:21 pm by Thought »

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Re: On the ethics of consciousness
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 04:05:45 am »
I'm not sure it has ethical weight for the topic of pain in specific, or even for the topic of abortion, but as a general philosophy, it has weight in other considerations. The "no brain, no pain" statement seems to indicate that unless one is aware of an experience, then that experience has no ethical significance. Does that seem like a valid interpretation of what you were saying?

Let's then apply that principle to a wildly different situation. A woman is drugged, passes out, and she is no longer cognizant of the events that subsequently transpire until she awakes. Under your model, as I understand it at least, drugging the woman might have ethical significance, but having sex with her while she is unconscious would not since she wouldn't have been cognizant of the event.

Or, in short, just because we might do something to a person or creature that it isn't aware of does not mean that those actions are in turn ethical. It doesn't mean that it is unethical, either, or non-ethical. Just that cognition isn't a good criteria to use.

I can see how you could come to that conclusion, but it is not my position. When I speak of a conscious entity, I don't necessarily mean an individual who is presently conscious. I mean an individual who poses is a consciousness, even if it is dormant at present. A week old embryo has never been conscious, and lacks the capacity to be conscious. A drugged woman has been conscious, and if she has not been given an over dose, likely will be again. She is still in possession of a consciousness.

I'm not going to argue over whether a hypothetical woman would find it more or less traumatic to be abused while sober or to be forcibly drugged and then abused before waking up as I have no desire to even contemplate the topic. Both acts, however, are an intolerable violation of that woman's rights. Rights that she, as the possessor of a conscious experience, is entitled to. I will attempt to anticipate a question which may arise here: Attempting to eliminate someone's consciousness permanently, without their explicit consent, is certainly a violation of their rights.

But the embryo? How could it even possibly be abused? It has no notion of its own existence; it is living matter to be certain, but lacks consciousness.

Cognition is part of how I define the scope of ethics. A rock can never be conscious; I consider it worthy of ethical consideration only in terms of how its manipulation, via natural forces or an intelligent agent, can effect conscious entities. In what way can I harm a rock? To continue with this example, the destruction of the Buddhist statues by the Taliban was not unethical because of the physical impact to the rocks, but because those statues were considered beautiful works of art by human intelligences who were cognizant of them.

In the previous example, the ethics of having sex with a non-consenting individual does not hinge on whether that individual is or is not conscious at that moment. As a conscious entity, they are entitled to decide explicitly who they will or will not allow to have sex with them, and on what terms.

Alas, I'm not sure what you're referring to, but regardless, feel free to steal!

"Many people hold that the right to life is supreme (except when life is being deprived for want of basic necessities, then the right of property is held as supreme)"

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 04:30:58 am »
Phew, there's so much to read! I think I'll just reply this much for now.

There is a God, all existence in the universe cannot be just one cosmic accident. If it were the case the probabilities must be so minuet that it's very dubious to say the least.
Indeed! But the question is, what is the nature of this existence? As much as I enjoy reading the Bible (along with countless other Holy books from a hundred different religions), I take it as an allegorical representation rather than word-for-word precision -- I take the Bible, Quran and Bhagwad Gita as informative works of art to reflect on (I'm a poet myself) but not as a precise guide. For instance, I enjoy the 'Parable of Samaritan' and 'Book of Job', I learn from the ethics therein, but I have no reason to believe that such characters even existed; instead, I research them out of curiosity.

As for seeds they contain the information for the genetic material that will make the tree be what it is. To put it plainly the sperm and the egg of the respective carriers in humans are the seed equivalent; while the developing fetus is the basic seedling so to speak. It is a proven fact that fetuses kick and move and even hear while in their mothers womb. The brain controls every impulse in which case a fetus has to posses active brain activity as well.
You're right on that point. XD There is sufficient brain-activity in the fetus before conception, and you will find the babe move about; however, there is another factor contributing this, but haven't you considered it before?

Remember what RD stated, that the human brain does not develop until few weeks after conception, wherein the babe creates a "self" identity. Before conception, all the information passed from mother to babe from every senses and nourishment are actually the result of the babe being "part of the human body", of one identity, and that is of the mother. In which case, abortion at that point is like cutting your own arm rather than killing someone.

However, in regards to ethics, I do point this question to RD (I'm not really against abortion, but this question is just for amusement's sake). Considering the development of ego reaches its first stage 7 weeks after the conception of the child, and if that makes it perfectly fine for abortion, does that mean it's perfectly fine to kill a child after conception but before the first stage? I mean, no brain no pain; simple as that, right? Of course, I can anticipate what your response may be, but I'm far too curious to hear it from you.

Oh well...   I guees I'm really just a mindless religious romantic 'sigh' what can I do. But no all you other people are always right and just and know everything sorry for ever doubting your genius:extensive sarcasm implied:
Sarcasm or not, I think I'll take that as a compliment, so thank you. XD

But seriously, don't consider yourself as "mindless religious". Well, being religious is not a problem, but just don't be "mindless", don't be a fanatic, and don't let religion manipulate you (Religion is a beautiful thing, but in the hands of wrong people, such as manipulative politicians, fundamentalists / dominionists and extremists, it can be devastating). Sometimes it takes effort to see things from another perspective and try to understand why other people do what they do, but in the end it's all worth it. I've seen a lot of religious folks do some incredibly amazing things, many of which are my good friends.

A child should in all actuallity not be killed because she was raped. It would display better character and heart for her to bare said child but if she aborts it it is her choice albeit wrong as it is. I'll simply put it this way it is the womans choice completely though life is the best choice.
The first sentence is something I do agree with (well, sort of anyway). The second sentence sounds plausible, but the question is, in what context? It's quite easy to get lost in the idea of "what's right and what's wrong", and it's even easier to turn what's wrong into right and vice versa with a simply shift in context and perspective. People see things differently and hence have formed their different opinions based on that. But whether a child should be aborted or not all depends on the circumstances.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 01:37:18 pm »
Ah, well RD, there doesn't seem to be much for me to respond to, since I had misunderstood your premise. Sorry about that.

However, the topic of cognition in relationship to ethics might be an interesting discussion in itself, though if that so interests you or others, it might be best to move the examples from people and fetuses to animals. Would a starfish's distributed brain, for example, provide sufficient cognition that pain could then have an ethical weight and in turn affect research conducted on starfish. But since I'm not sure this topic will interest others, I'll reserve comment until interest is apparent.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 02:04:34 pm »
Would a starfish's distributed brain, for example, provide sufficient cognition that pain could then have an ethical weight and in turn affect research conducted on starfish. But since I'm not sure this topic will interest others, I'll reserve comment until interest is apparent.
The problem with ethics at present is that it's incredibly flexible in regards to animals, wherein the sacrifice and preservation of animals dwells upon necessity and rarity which is often misunderstood as "ethics". Killing a chicken for meat seems logical, but killing a dog for meat is horrifyingly evil, and yet (as Sherlock Holmes himself wonders) that doesn't really make any logical sense. Why can't we eat horses? Why are Hindus against eating cows?

In the field of science, even more so: whatever isn't human is usually "okay" for genetic mutation experiment (and most of the "prototypes" end up being killed to preserve biological legacy).