Author Topic: FFXIII-2 interview with Motomu Toriyama mentions Chrono Trigger  (Read 4541 times)

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
FFXIII-2 interview with Motomu Toriyama mentions Chrono Trigger
« on: September 08, 2011, 05:04:21 pm »
In a recent interview with game director Motomu Toriyama, he explains the time traveling theme of Final Fantasy XIII-2, the sequel to last years Final Fantasy XIII.

https://member.eu.square-enix.com/en/blogs/we-discuss-time-travel-with-final-fantasy-xiii-2s-Motomu-Toriyama

Fast forward to the seventh question:

Jem Alexander: This is the first time time travel has featured so prominently in a FINAL FANTASY game, is this something you'd like to explore more in future games?

Motomu Toriyama: For the FINAL FANTASY series, each game has its own new game system, so it is not as if we are intending on making time travel key to all future instalments. We want fans to look forward to each FINAL FANTASY having its own unique system. For FINAL FANTASY XIII-2, we are experimenting with carrying out repeated large scale user tests to reflect the opinions of users in the game itself. We really have received a lot of feedback about the game, but among the voices there are those who say it reminds them of the classic RPG, CHRONO TRIGGER. For FINAL FANTASY XIII-2, we are aiming to make time travel a major thematic direction, and be able to express this on high-end game machines.

[hidden]The seventh question is extremely juicy... perhaps us fans have done something after all? Could this rekindle our series? A lot of speculation is floating around about this being the spirtual successor to Chrono Trigger, and I just saw a slew of new forums posters everywhere, whom I have never seen before, starting to post wanting to know more information, most likely in part to hearing about the "time travel" and "Chrono Trigger".[/hidden]
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 05:06:02 pm by FaustWolf »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: FFXIII-2 interview with Motomu Toriyama mentions Chrono Trigger
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 05:10:18 pm »
Nice find Magus. For some reason hyperlink tags aren't being parsed correctly on the front page display for this post, not sure what's up with that -- we'll just have to keep that long link hanging out there.

I think it's awesome that an SE director is acknowledging the Chrono series, but I'd caution that it probably doesn't mean what we want it to. Based on character designs that have been popping up in other SE properties lately, my gut feeling is that aspects of the franchise are gradually being diluted and incorporated into other franchises.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 05:21:48 pm by FaustWolf »

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 05:11:29 pm »
Squeeeeeenix, don't toy with my emooootions.

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 12:20:10 am »
come on Squenix, it's time for you to rise out of the graves. We'll forgive you for the long wait if a possible new Chrono game happens. My god, it would be awesome to see it on the Wii U.  or 3DS. At the moment, we just want a third part of the series, just like MML3 ( which hopefully those rumors are true about the second circle pad and LR buttons ).

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 11:17:40 am »
My impression is that Squeenix has gotten conservative enough that we'd do well not to get our hopes up prematurely. It's good that they recognize CT's importance, and it's good that they are drawing upon it for inspiration -- to interpret what he said in the most hopeful light -- but I seriously doubt they're going to revive a long-lost franchise when there's FF to exploit.  :(

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 12:38:28 pm »
I like the final fantasy series and all, infact Final fantasy VI is my second favorite game of all time (second of course to Chrono Trigger) that being said, I havent played past Final fantasy VII XD Why does Final Fantasy get 10,000 games and Chrono Trigger gets 2 1/2 (radical dreamers was awesome but well, you know it wasn't a full rpg game)

I'm glad they mentioned it, Chrono Trigger is still important enough to be mentioned now and again but I wish they'd take a break with the onslaught of final fantasy games - if they re-did Final fantasy VI with current graphics and redid/ made another CT game squeenix would get off my hit list. They should be looking at the classics not just for referance XD. I don't even know what number final fantasty goes up to, 14? nevermine 10 part 2? :o

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 02:33:16 pm »
Yeah, apparently Final Fantasy has more lives than Doctor Who (though I'm with TheMage on a remake for FF6). And now it apparently turned into a Holy Milking Cow for SE.

I wouldn't bash em, though: FF is their flagship franchise. However,... well, you know. Business psychology.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 02:07:06 am »
It really is great to see it mentioned.

hmm... I wonder how Masato Kato would react if he saw this interview. CT obviously still has some presence, and this is, after all, a SE interview, created by SE, for SE... (whew that's a lot of commas)

I am guessing the "majority" of the fans that are thinking of CT while getting the latest info on XIII-2 are the Japanese fans, and this is gold. If XIII-2 has a good reception, and the fans like the theme (i mean who doesn't love time travel or dimensional shifting), who knows what could come of this.

I'll continue to be on the lookout for more news. I am hoping our Japanese Chrono fans also keep the spirit going.

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 05:29:41 pm »
I'm thinking along the same lines as Magus.  The opinions of Japanese gamers matter the most to Japanese game companies.  As long as Chrono keeps getting mentioned across the pond there is hope, however slight.

We should also consider the possibility that a remake of Chrono Trigger might not even be called that.  They might just rename it into a mainline Final Fantasy title.  That's pretty unlikely, but it would follow S/E's business mentality of milking the franchise, and have the added benefit of nostalgia.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 09:36:53 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised (OR HAPPY) if the closest thing we get to a new sequel is FF132. Get your names straight, SE! Or at least get your GAMES straight! Milk gets sour after several decades.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 10:15:13 pm »
Mr Bekkler, I actually read that as "Final Fantasy 132." Like, it'll be the year 2500 and SE will have switched over from Roman numerals because it got so confusing. But the fanbase would still be hungry for a Chrono sequel, not to mention world maps.  :cry:

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 11:04:13 pm »
Mr Bekkler, I actually read that as "Final Fantasy 132." Like, it'll be the year 2500 and SE will have switched over from Roman numerals because it got so confusing. But the fanbase would still be hungry for a Chrono sequel, not to mention world maps.  :cry:

Exactly! So does the majority of the populace! Those of us who know it's pronounced thirteen: two are an educated minority (at least in America). People don't like confusing names for stuff, and I predict because of this, the game won't sell nearly as well as predicted in America. Besides, even though they've been on the record the entire production saying that 13:2 is going to be the polar opposite of 13, it still has THIRTEEN in the title, which was not well received by players and critically panned. All anyone ever said about 13 that was good was "It's beautiful". As in it LOOKS good. Which is what you say when you can't find other redeeming qualities, OR when the visuals are so spectacular you can't believe it's actually a game (which was not the case here). All this leaves a very small target audience who might have not lost interest in the sequel.

I would say how crazy I think it is, but really, it's right in line with SE's behavior as of late.

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 03:13:34 am »
As long as it doesn't have fourteen in the title, the game should at least be decent.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 05:02:44 pm »
Is it just me or does MrBekkler sound angrier by every post? XD Hope he doesn't break anything (Candy Yard is fragile, ya know).

From what I recall, 13-2 has a protagonist who's a yakuza lord. Hmm... Yakuza + Time Travel + Spirits + Save-the-world scenario? Sounds better than Baccano! :D

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 07:06:03 pm »
I swear I'm not an angry guy, though I'll admit my sense of humor isn't conveyed well in text alone. :lol: