Author Topic: Meaning behind the name Janus  (Read 5159 times)

Wolf Kanno

• Iokan (+1)
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
Meaning behind the name Janus
« on: January 28, 2011, 12:53:32 am »
Alright, so we know that Magus' true name was different in the Japanese version, but I was surprised that the name origin part of his character profile doesn't offer anything on the English name of Janus. While I cannot say his name was chosen by the localization team on purpose or if this is just a very amusing coincidence, it is pretty amusing seeing how well the name fits the character or at least the themes of the game itself. "Janus" is the name of a Greek god that governed over doors, gates, beginnings and endings, in some sources, even time. The god is thought to have two faces staring in opposite directions, one staring into the past and the other looking towards the future.

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/j/janus.html

I thought that most CT fans knew about this link so I'm curious to know if it was removed for some reason. Forgive me if I missed the debate and I'm trudging up old news.  :oops:

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Meaning behind the name Janus
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 01:59:44 am »
Janus should have been Roman; interestingly, looks like Hecate is the Greek counterpart -- if one goes by Wikipedia's suggestion, anyway.

*Insert hundreds of Chrono fanfics about a parallel universe where Schala gets a little sis named "Hecate" in a parallel universe.*

Hmm, I'm not sure whether the Compendium ever had the name origin in the wiki entry. I wonder if this might have been in one of the early editorials, though.

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 12:28:25 pm »
Whoa, I didn't know Hecate was Janus' counterpart. That's incredibly fascinating (and makes sense, as Hecate was supposed to have multiple faces as well? and Wiki says she guards entrances too, which is also not something I knew). Magus seems quite Hecate-like.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 12:39:17 pm »
Heh, Jaki (his name in Japanese version) also has the same pronunciation as the kanjis for 'evil' (邪気).
But guess that is just a coincidence or something.

EgyLynx

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 04:11:24 pm »
Where "Magus" Then cam?

Redslash

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • Twitch.tv/Redslash
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 03:51:57 am »
Hah! I enjoy a good thread necromancy. Friendly reminder that "Janus" in Greek letters is "Ἰανός". Someone at Square knew it ; )

EgyLynx

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 12:59:39 pm »
 :?
that re minds one bad person...

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2023, 01:57:32 am »
Magus is an old word for sorcerer, which is his end goal of summoning Lavos.