Author Topic: Only the Good Die Young- Crono and Kid as sacrificial lambs  (Read 2994 times)

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: Only the Good Die Young- Crono and Kid as sacrificial lambs
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 10:16:03 am »
Ah! Wish I'd gotten onto this sooner.

I wasn't proposing that the Chrono crew save Schala at the moment of Crono's sacrifice.

"If, rather than traveling to the moment Crono dies, one were to travel to the moment Schala sends the group + Magus to the past, one could simply bring Schala back and avert the whole mess."

I shouldn't have said at the moment she send people away, but after.

Anway, as karp mentioned, the Time Egg wasn't made specifically for saving Crono, but to give the user the chance to save SOMEONE VITAL.

Rather than save Crono right before his sacrifice, I was suggesting that one could save Schala after she had saved everyone.

I should also note that this all ignores theories that Schala escapd the palace in order to pass Marle's necklace down through the generations. I just attribute that peculiarity to plots holes, like Marle disappearing in the past, yet Robo's future still exists at the end when Lavos was killed.

Indeed. It would've been a brilliant twist on the game to get Schala in your party. Perhaps you could choose to save either her or Crono.. maybe set it up so that if Magus is in your party on death peak, that you save Schala instead. there's definitely potential there.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 05:09:06 pm »
ROM hackers should just make a copy of Trigger where in "Beat Lavos without Resurrecting Crono" ending, Magus yoinks the egg away from Gaspar and Marle dies alone after the credits.

radicalblues

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Guardian (+100)
  • It's not easy being green
    • View Profile
    • X Radical Dreamers
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 04:11:59 pm »
I never understood the concept behind leaving Crono's clone behind. I mean, he was obliterated a second after. And I also found funny that they never specified the exact properties of the clone, was it just a doll? was it conscious?

Clone: Oh hi guys!! :D Where are we going?
Lucca: Um, we're just going for a picnic boy, just going for a picnic.
Clone: Yaaaaayy! :D

If it was just a doll, it wouldn't make much difference. Why didn't Magus just take Schala with him too? If I was him, I would have painted a moustache on Zeal's face, and replaced Schala with a picture of a hairy butt.

Party escapes in the Blackbird with Dalton, Schala saved, Lavos killed, Chrono Cross prevented.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 11:27:27 pm »
My guess the clones are just that, giant dolls given few movement set with magic or something. I doubt they are sentient or something like that.

As for using a clone, well, I think that they came to the conclusion that they need to keep everything unaltered or as close to how it was, since they aren't aware it's meaningless to do so.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 01:44:04 am »
Heh, if Beckler can make a Lavos clone....
But I guess it is too big to carry.   :picardno

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2010, 10:00:46 pm »
Insert Quote
Heh, if Beckler can make a Lavos clone....
But I guess it is too big to carry.

Don't need a lavos clone when one can just abduct lavos' spawn from the future.  House breaking it will be a herculean task though.
-------

I like the idea in that Kid is in effect a schala clone as an option to preventing the horrible time-ending catastrophe.  That feels a lot more consistent to part of Trigger rather than the whole "every previous character has in effect worsened the world from their involvement in Trigger and they die miserably for it."

As far as the time egg goes, from my play experiences from only the snes CT from years ago, I had gotten the impression that Crono was very important and his purpose was essentially to kill/stop Lavos, and maybe as a future ruler for keeping stability for Guardia.  For one, he's the only character without an elaborated past, (placing more emphasis on his future, or his effect on the future) doesn't have a father (and as far as I could tell, no any mention of ever having had one either)  and gets obliterated by Lavos instead of absorbed.  So with the emphasis on the Chrono Trigger being used for people significant to time, I had thought Crono as some sort of anti-Lavos factor from some effect by The Entity.  Esp when the SNES death scene looks like he's struggling against Lavos and not just walking and getting blasted away with a dumb look on his face for his last moment alive.    The clone then is needed at the moment of death so that Lavos follows through with his actions.  If nothing is left there, or not an adequate replacement, Lavos doesn't fire his doom beam to obliterate Crono, and instead resumes absorbing the party present at the ocean palace. 

At least, that makes more sense to me than the anti-Crono propaganda Kato spouts off and then shoots off with effectively the most hypocritical, and non-sensical, character change ever via Schala to Kid. 

EgyLynx

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 10:03:11 am »
Schala is not stoler... and what kid is?

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2010, 03:21:26 pm »
Lucca "named" Kid the way she did because she didn't want to get too attached to the child that would be Schala. She died before she could truly stamp out the Kid personality, though.