Author Topic: My original music  (Read 651 times)

Jormungand

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
My original music
« on: August 20, 2010, 09:06:18 pm »
I've been composing for a decade now, and while I've been apart of many communities like this one, I rarely have shown off my works. Nowadays I'm just happy to share my original compositions, and welcome any comments or criticism listeners might have. Mostly I'd consider myself a composer of game music--although I equally enjoy writing for the concert hall. From 2007 to about April of 2010 I had been composing music for the games Horse Isle and Horse Isle 2. With those duties completed, I have three more games lined up--this time an entirely different kind of genre. I look forward to honing my skills and sharing my future work with the world!

Below I've linked three youtube videos, around 10 minutes each, that contain samples of my compositions. Some come from the games I've worked on, and others are standalone compositions. Again, I appreciate any comments/criticism you would like to share. Enjoy the music, and thanks for listening!

Music Demo #1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSvDswwwzTQ
Music Demo #2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NfFizfTk5M
Music Demo #3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZoLQZFbTK4

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: My original music
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 12:46:31 am »
Jeez, your accomplishments thus far -- nascent as they may seem to you -- are already imposing. The beginning of "Sea of Mist" really gave me some vibes of "One Who Bears Fangs at God," and it was just chilling. Keep us up to date on your exploits in the videogame realm!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 01:39:06 am »
This is some good work. Clearly you have refined your technique. If I may make an observation, your music is very short on melody. I would qualify it as not melodic enough. If you like the idea of a richer melodic structure in your work, then I'd encourage you to focus on writing your melodies first. If your music is ambient by design, then I'd say you've done a good job. My favorite pieces is "Chase" from Demo 1, because I'm a sucker for fast-moving casual guitar pieces and because it comes closest among these compositions to achieving what I would call a full-figured melody.

Edit: In fact, if you could make that entire piece available online, I would certainly add it to my library! Or if you're selling, point the way.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 01:41:54 am by Lord J Esq »

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 05:21:07 am »
Only thru part 1, but:

I APPROVE!!!!

And just because it's late and I'm in a great mood I'm gonna disagree with J for the fuck of it.  If melody was all that mattered, then smooth jazz would be popular.  This is actually one of my main arguments in favor of smooth jazz.  If you REALLY listen to smooth jazz and get beyond all the corny jokes that come with it, there are some fantastic melodies!  But smooth jazz gets shat on.  Most of the time I 'spose it deserves it.

But yea the J is not far off...on a small handful I would add a tad more melodic togethernessness but really man, it's great stuff.  On "The Sound Of Snow" I facepalmed several times when the strings came in and then the rest built up because it was just so damn perfect and what I wanted in the song.  Keep it up!

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 05:27:16 am »
Hah I've become a fan of your works, Joe! I personally liked Blue Star and Hired Intervention. No criticisms from me as of now, but I've been wondering: do you also go into epic music (not AWESOME Epic, but Drama, Mystery or Fantasy Epic) instead of Jazz/ambient? And Celtic? Just interested to know if you've experimenting with a plethora of genres.  :D I love music.

Jormungand

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 11:24:13 am »
Thanks for the kind replies and encouragement!

Quote from: tushantin
No criticisms from me as of now, but I've been wondering: do you also go into epic music (not AWESOME Epic, but Drama, Mystery or Fantasy Epic) instead of Jazz/ambient? And Celtic? Just interested to know if you've experimenting with a plethora of genres.  Very Happy I love music.
Sure, I compose in just about every genre there is. Mostly I don't get a lot of opportunities to do it--I prefer composing FOR something, like someone's freeware game, etc.

Sometime in the future I'll be making my own tactical RPG (SC2 single-player mod) that'll definitely require some "epic" orchestral scoring, drama, and so forth.

Celtic? I did a few pieces with Celtic inclinations for Horse Isle 2, but normally the style is a challenge for me--it's tough to go that direction and not sound stereotypical. I really look up to Mitsuda for this who blends those Celtic and Irish mannerisms seamlessly with his own delicate and sensitive style, all the while avoiding the stereotypes native to the "genre".

Quote from: Lord J Esq
If I may make an observation, your music is very short on melody. I would qualify it as not melodic enough. If you like the idea of a richer melodic structure in your work, then I'd encourage you to focus on writing your melodies first. If your music is ambient by design, then I'd say you've done a good job.
Well, as it turns out, most of the works I sampled in the demos do have upfront melodies. Maybe they don't seem that clear?

Thanks again for the comments everyone! One of these days I'll have my redesigned website up, and further down the line (hopefully this year) I'll release the music for the newer games (visual novels!) I'm working on.

In fact, if you could make that entire piece available online, I would certainly add it to my library! Or if you're selling, point the way.
Sure, I'll try to upload a full version shortly. :) I know listening to demos of 40s-1m long samples isn't exactly the best way to showcase music, but they were mostly designed to show to a game-making community as a means of getting some composing work.

Quote from: Shee
If melody was all that mattered, then smooth jazz would be popular.  This is actually one of my main arguments in favor of smooth jazz.  If you REALLY listen to smooth jazz and get beyond all the corny jokes that come with it, there are some fantastic melodies!  But smooth jazz gets shat on.  Most of the time I 'spose it deserves it.
Incidentally, Yasunori Mitsuda can do some pretty awesome smooth jazz. And... well, here I thought I'd find a sample on youtube, no dice. It's "Urban Fantasy" from the game Moonlit Shadow, and it's awesome. Little bit of reggae in there too.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 11:35:01 am by Jormungand »

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 07:27:37 am »
Hahah! Here's the thing about Mitsuda's ideas: he doesn't stick to one genre, but since it's coming from one mind they're all related. XD I've actually seen him using a combo of Jazz and Celtic for composition, which is awesome, but not restricted to that. Quite a lot of elements can be stolen borrowed from places and placed in a new level (such as Magus's theme was, well you know, but Chronotorius made it Jazz -- B.A.M.F.).

Here's an example of how Kajiura Yuki merged Chinese Flute (I think 'Dizi'?) with Bagpipes (Scottish). Ingenious! XD I suppose that'd be a challenge to pull it off, but hey, it makes masterpiece!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNdLsosx0Lo