Author Topic: Robo Theory  (Read 3406 times)

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Robo Theory
« on: June 15, 2005, 07:15:16 pm »
Hum I was wondering something pretty funny that came to my mind, when Robo helped Fiona, you could get it back in 1000 AD, then go abck to 600 AD and see the old one...

What about you left the second Robo and go get them in 1000 AD (both) than do the same thing over and over again, wouldn't there be an army of Robo and it would be so much easy to fight Lavos?

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Robo Theory
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 07:20:57 pm »
If you believe the Time Bastard theory, then no, thats impossible.  Otherwise, sure, why not?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Robo Theory
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 07:50:46 pm »
You speak MADNESS! UTTER MOTHER BRAIN MADNESSSSSS!!!

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Robo Theory
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 10:58:06 pm »
Why if he could do it once, why not twice, or thrice?

What is the time bastard? not seeing 2 same people, if that's the case then it's already broken, no?

Sentenal

• View Profile
Robo Theory
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 11:46:35 pm »
Time Bastard Theorem
ZeaLitY, GrayLensman

Suppose an entity X exists on timeline Y.

If X time travels from time A to time B, such that B < A; for time > B, Y is sent into the DBT, and Y' is created, containing X'.

For time > A, two identical entities X and X' will exist in Y'.

Conservation of Energy requires that only one entity X or X' exist.

Therefore, X' will be expunged from Y' at time A, and sent into the DBT.

Its impossible to use time travel to make duplicates.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Robo Theory
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 11:51:39 pm »
That is an incorrect interpretation of TB.  The travellers could retrieve unlimited past versions of Robo, however all the "copies" would cease to exist in 400 years time.

Sentenal

• View Profile
Robo Theory
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 12:09:15 am »
Well, yeah, I guess.  I ment it more in the context of gathering duplicates to make a Robo army.

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • I might come back one of these days...
    • View Profile
Robo Theory
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2005, 04:07:43 am »
i havent actually read the TB theory yet, but logically you could leave the second robo their, and if he stayed with the other one and didnt go walk about somewhere, he would still exist.

Now i just sit back and wait for people to shoot it all down...

Sentenal

• View Profile
Robo Theory
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005, 01:16:09 pm »
If we take into account Janus and Melichior being sucked into a "portal" at the earthbound village, far away from the Ocean Palace, at the exact same time as when the original Melichior and Janus went to their respective time periods, then we can assume a new Robo would suffer the same fate once it reachs the original's "age" at the point of time travel.

Sir Frog

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Robo Theory
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 05:00:46 pm »
Sentenal, you seem pretty familiar with the TB theorem.  I wonder if you could shed some light this.  Since a timeline is simply a graphical representation of all events that have occured prior to some reference point, how can one say that a timeline disappears?  Relevant to what does it disappear?  When does it disappear (and using what timeline as a frame of reference)?

Sentenal

• View Profile
Robo Theory
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2005, 05:14:14 pm »
Miguel: Yes... I've been here in this very place... For 14 years... It wasn't like this
when I got here, though... An incident that occured 10 years ago, transformed it into the
Dead Sea. Don't you know...? There's nothing in the world as ruthless or impartial as
death. All living matter ages over time and eventually dies... No matter how mighty or
tiny its life force... So being alive means you're creeping closer to death with every
second... But there's none of that here. No one and nothing ages. Nothing wastes away.
This quiet, boundless, and beautiful world... An ideal world, straight out of a fairy
tale, isn't it? A place and time that belongs to no one... Res nullius... It's because
this is a future that was eliminated!!! History is composed of choices and divergences.
Each choice you make creates a new world and brings forth a new future. But at the same
time, you're eliminating a different future with the choices you didn't make.
A future
denied of all existence because of a change in the past... A future that was destroyed
even before it was born rests here... condensed into the Dead Sea.

Time travel makes it realative to the time traveler.  The elimenanted future disappears the very moment a change occurs.  Now, keep in mind, the Time Bastard theory basically says you cannot have duplicates, it is not the main time traveling theory.

Sir Frog

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Robo Theory
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2005, 05:32:04 pm »
No, I understand that.  What I don't understand, however, are phrases such as "the elimenanted [sic] future disappears the very moment a change occurs."  If the future disappears at the moment of time travel, how can the future be said to ever have existed?  Let me construct an example.

Suppose we have a timeline from 10,000 B.C. to 10,000 A.D.  Let's further suppose that at 2000 A.D., someone travels into the past.  According to both your statement and the TB theorem, all events from 2000 A.D. to 10,000 A.D. will be sent to the DBT.  My concern is this: they never happened!  How were they recorded in the first place?  

I want to stress that I don't wish to attack your statement so much as I wish to understand it.  I have read all of the CC posts and articles on time travel and I think they suffer from the same problem; they all implicitly treat a timeline as something existing within time.  

Would it be worth my time to construct a detailed essay (including axioms and corollaries) on time travel as it relates to the Chronoverse?  Before going to sleep every night for the last week, I have been formulating an elegent, all-encompassing theory.  Do you think it would be warmly welcomed by the Chrono Compendium community?  Or, rather, would most people here spend their time trying to refute my ideas?  I'd like to know, you know, so I don't waste my time.  

~ Sir Frog (aka dacb1984)

Epsilon

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Robo Theory
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2005, 05:41:57 pm »
This is how I see it:

The Timeline is a sequence of events. Person A exists at 2000 AD on the timeline. He goes back to 1000 AD, and is immediately disconnected from the timeline that created him, in fact from 1000 AD on the Events are rewritten to fit the new timeline. The former sequence is discarded. Thus, even if he goes on a shooting spree and kills his great-great-great ancestor, he will still live, as he has been disconnected from the Timeline and still exists. If he goes to 2000 AD, he will end up in a different time. However, if an alternate Person A exists said alternate will be eliminated on the return of the original Person A.

Does that make sense?

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Robo Theory
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2005, 09:59:27 pm »
Quote from: Sir Frog

I want to stress that I don't wish to attack your statement so much as I wish to understand it.  I have read all of the CC posts and articles on time travel and I think they suffer from the same problem; they all implicitly treat a timeline as something existing within time.  

The way I see it, history follow an order and every action made that order, however Time Travel, may change that order thus changing the future. Since CC state that a future that has been modifed, thus erased, will be sent to the tesseract (than Lordchander ^-^), we can only assume that the future is already written somewhat.

Zatopek

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Robo Theory
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2005, 11:04:59 pm »
Quote from: Epsilon
This is how I see it:

The Timeline is a sequence of events. Person A exists at 2000 AD on the timeline. He goes back to 1000 AD, and is immediately disconnected from the timeline that created him, in fact from 1000 AD on the Events are rewritten to fit the new timeline. The former sequence is discarded. Thus, even if he goes on a shooting spree and kills his great-great-great ancestor, he will still live, as he has been disconnected from the Timeline and still exists. If he goes to 2000 AD, he will end up in a different time. However, if an alternate Person A exists said alternate will be eliminated on the return of the original Person A.

Does that make sense?

From what I understand, this is accurate according to the theories on Time Travelers's Immunity and the Time Bastard Theorem.