Author Topic: Summer Kick-off Ultra-Update! Dream Splash III Begins!  (Read 7066 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Summer Kick-off Ultra-Update! Dream Splash III Begins!
« on: May 09, 2010, 05:25:31 am »
Hey, let's get summer in gear with an Ultra-Update! We've got some important stuff first. [1]  The 2010 Dream Splash is underway! This year, it's about Chrono Break, or how you would personally like to see the Chrono series continued. The sky's the limit on this one, as you can draw from any established Chrono character or setting, and create your own! Head to this page to learn more or this forum to start submitting!  [2]  Dayton is the Spring's Gift contest winner, thanks to a double fan art/poetry submission! As such, they are now the Artist of Termina. We don't know if they have an account on the Compendium forums, so the user rank hasn't been awarded yet. Anyhow, congratulations! You can view the submission here. On a sadder note, Dayton's was the only entry in the contest, which reflects poorly on the rest of the Compendium.  [3]  Wiz Khalifa, and up and coming underground hip-hop artist has released his new mixtape, and it features a sample of Schala's theme! Click here to listen.  [4]  Guinness has ranked Chrono as the 37th most popular franchise in the world. Now, moving on!

Yeah, we're kicking off the Dream Splash! on the anniversary of the cease & desist order. If the last year has taught us anything, it's that the Chrono community continues kicking like a quiet storm. We may have penetrated the mysteries of the series with analysis and wrapped up all the main work on the encyclopedia, but progress continues to flow in other areas. This...gigantic update is the result of just 2 months time. In two months, all the stuff you see here happened and was catalogued by the Chrono Compendium. What kind of dead franchise brings it in like that? We continue to see new fan art, fan fiction, remixes discoveries, translations, and phenomena of other colors all the time, including new dreams born off-site. Starting the Dream Splash early on this anniversary is our scream from the underground! So let's do the impossible, see the invisible, touch the untouchable, break the unbreakable, and smash through the dream in the springtime of youth! On to the news!

[JAPAN]  Lorenz has translated Hiromichi Tanaka's interview in the Chrono Cross OST liner notes, leaving only Masato Kato's and Noriko Mitose's to be translated; find it here. Tanaka contrasts the push for better graphics and hardware in next-generation machines with the need for great talent. (Keep in mind, this was written in 1999.)  [2]  Carnivol, known for such rarities as the Chrono Trigger V-Jump videos, has uncovered the V-Jump '99 video promoting Chrono Cross! It features brief comments by Tanaka, Sakaguchi, and...Masato Kato, the man himself! There's also different music used for snooping around Viper Manor. Youtube the video here or download it here!  [3]  Material Requiring Translation has been updated with scans of the entire Chrono Trigger Ultimania Secrets section. We'd sure appreciate any help translating!  [4]  FaustWolf did some snooping (damn, I realized that I may have bee incorrectly using Faustwolf until now) and found this Masato Kato interview in which he identifies himself as Runmaru, the alias he used in Ninja Gaiden's credits. The real shocker here is that hardcoregaming101.net got an interview with him. We need to get some Japanese language help and make a serious attempt to get our own interview!

[COMPENDIUM]  I've added 93 new avatars created with fan art submitted over the course of the Compendium's history. They're in a new folder called Fan Art. Springtime of youth!  [2]  CuteLucca's site seems to be permanently down, so I've gone through the Wayback Machine and salvaged any art I could for the fan art section.  [3]  The Community Map has been updated to reflect the Geocities massacre and any other sites that have gone down since the last review.  [4]  The full Q&As used to make my 1Up interview have been posted here, constituting a nice history of the Compendium until now.  [5]  I've unearthed a couple Compendium relics! First are three old dimensions/timeline graphs predating the current ones used in the Principles of Time article. I've added them to a gallery at the bottom of On the Axioms and Corollaries Governing Temporal Transforms (damn, fun to type that again!). The other relic is a mockup I created for Ramsus back when he was developing Chrono Compendium II, the replacement for our first site using PHPNuke; find it here. Speaking of which, I've standardized the versions of the Chrono Compendium's design on the about page at the bottom. There are a lot of great screenshots and alternate logos to be had; check it out! Like this one:

[PROJECTS]  Koa has finished their Chrono Cross Triple Triad Deck, and it's awesome! You can view it here and download it here, complete with unnumbered cards! Great work!  [2]  Lance has released the demo for Chrono Echoes, his new RPGMaker project. Find and discuss it here. He's also looking for voice actors for Chrono Echoes, his new RPGmaker project. Head to this thread if you've got what it takes!  [3]  mysticalpha's Chrono Trigger comic is now going to be an official Chrono Compendium feature, linked in the sidebar and updated with each new comic instead of simply stashed in the fan art section! But we've got some catching up to do first. Here's the volume of Chrono goodness that's come out since March: [ 22 - Scissors and Hand Cream - Statue of Magus - 23 - The End - 24 - Grand Theft Princess - 25 - That Darn Cat (trigger warning) ] mysticalpha's also released several sketches and high-res individual shots used in Grand Theft Princess! [ Lucca Outline - Crono Outline - Marle Outline - King Outline - Lucca - Crono - Marle - Epoch ]  [4]  Guru of Reason utunnels has been hard at work developing a browser-based version of Radical Dreamers. Right now, the text is a little faster in browsers other than Internet Explorer, and the save feature only works in IE as well. It's very much a work-in-progress, so check out updates at this thread!

[DISCOVERY]  Zephira noticed that in Magus's Lair, sculptures of two women hold up pillars for the curtain rods on the windows. See an image here. It's an oft-missed detail!  [2]  utunnels has been investigating the battle scripts for Radius and the Time Devourer. He's found that the Time Devourer has its HP locked at 30,000 HP for most of the battle, but it immediately decreases to a smaller value after a certain point. Without this script, it would normally have four phases demarcated by 5,000HP, 2,500HP, 1,250HP, and 1,250HP. Battle scripts are often used for this purpose, like making the Shaker Brothers invulnerable so they can speak their lines before being defeated. He's also found that Radius can be killed in the Japanese version because of a script loophole fixed in the US version, and not a number overflow.  [3]  utunnels has discovered that the Chrono Cross dummy-enemy FamilyTree uses the tech Downpour and is supposed to be paired with four Bulbs.  [4]  Game Mechanics has been updated with utunnels' recent findings on Chrono Cross battle mechanics.  [5]  utunnels has published a list of possible Chrono Cross enemy groupings in random battles; find it here.

[FANFICTION]  GenesisOne kicked things off for this update with Chrono Trigger done in the style of Dr. Seuss, a work in progress. Find it here! Next is another masterpiece by preeminent Chrono-fanfic writer The Princess; it's called Tor'ed Back in Time 3: Chrono TRIGGER and you can find it here. alfadorredux is keeping Chrono Helix rolling with a few new entries in the saga; check them out here. Another work in progress has been updated -- Chrono: To the Sea of Dreams, by skylark! Find the new entries here. Last is a snippet from Chrono Genesis, a project by Princess Schala Zeal; find it here.

[FAN ART]  Let's kick things off with an awesome Harle mask that vivify93 made for a class several years ago; see it here and here. We've added an amazing Zeal wallpaper with an unclear author; find it here. Next are pieces from The Princess and FaFniR depicting their favorite Chrono time; find them here and here. After that comes Princess Schala Zeal, with two sprites showing King and Queen Zeal in their younger years; see them here and here. F-546 has laso been busy spriting, and has released a title screen image showing the Radical Dreamers from his RPGMakerXP project; see it here. tushantin's made another great piece of fan art for Crimson Echoes; it's a wallpaper showing Crono and King Zeal. Grab it here. Last is a fantastic image F-546 found. On closer inspection, it's a part of a castle series by *jermilex, but it beautifully looks so much like futuristic Zeal that we're going to keep it. Find it here. But wait! We've archived some old Ramsus art as well: [ Rough Robo Sketch - Crono - Crono Avatar - Female Crono ]

http://www.youtube.com/v/SoOLwr8z760&ap=%2526fmt%3D18 http://www.youtube.com/v/hmP2kzjyPuA&ap=%2526fmt%3D18 http://www.youtube.com/v/psIBSjlCBks&ap=%2526fmt%3D18 [hidden]

God, that was a badass look. And damn, this one was hell of an update to pull together. I hope the next one's not so time-consuming.[/hidden]
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 04:04:18 pm by ZeaLitY »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Summer Kick-off Ultra-Update! Dream Splash III Begins!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 06:14:13 am »
Damn damn, I forgot to scan the Chrono Cross TCG set. That'll be its own update soon.

Lance VII

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 10:27:15 am »
Dammit, Zeality. You make me wanna reveal my Super-Secret-Chrono Project!

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 04:28:35 pm »
That's a hell of an update! Glad to see the community being fired up by the passion of youth.  :D (Monsoon's beginning soon; all the better to kick and scream and fight like hell in the rain)

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 01:30:31 am »
The way i wanna see chrono continued:  2 realities and multiple eras.   =D

Where the protagonist and the antagonist is the same person just from the other reality, and you chase the other one around era-to-era, then he invades your dimension and etc..

lulz

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 01:01:30 am »
'snake remain chamber' (viper manor) sounds the same to me, here is the catch:
in these V Jump vids, most of the songs are actual orchestras playing, listen to the CT vjump for instance. they tend to use the synth on CC, the actual in-game music. for instance the harp should be played, but in the game they used a synth instead.

Kara Kazeneko

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • Kara's DeviantArt Page
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 11:38:48 pm »
Dang... massive update indeed. Makes me feel all awesome inside.

(and also makes me curse the fact that I'm still having the artist's version of writer's block; I want to do some decent CT fan art and contribute it to the site, but... ugh... having trouble getting motivated)