Author Topic: Park Your Amusements Here  (Read 99564 times)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Park Your Amusements Here
« Reply #825 on: October 20, 2011, 08:43:56 am »
Indeed, inaugural Doctor Who watching makes for an interesting tradition!

Update: Sometimes watching people assume what you prefer is pretty entertaining. Agreed, I'm an adventurous bloke, always taking risks, always trying random things at equally random odds all in the name of fun, and always open to change or other people's suggestions. It's fun to have friends who want to show me stuff so we can have a good laugh about it; then there are those who think I'm fine with anything. Well I am fine with almost anything, but what most people don't get is that --

Tushantin always prefers the best!

And my reason of being adventurous is to find all that is best.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 09:18:54 am by tushantin »

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #826 on: October 20, 2011, 01:36:34 pm »
Here's something to humble and possibly motivate you.

Any high school graduate that has gone through all of his lab sciences better understands physics and the nature of the world than either Aristotle or Galileo. As a future historian, I understand the concept of history and historiography and know the actual events and history of antiquity much better than Herodotus or Thucydides. All that being said, even a graduate level mathematician would still get his ass kicked by Pythagoras.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #827 on: October 20, 2011, 03:21:32 pm »
...even a graduate level mathematician would still get his ass kicked by Pythagoras.
Also, a mathematical genius from my homeland -- Srinivasa Ramanujan. It's amazing how a man, who lived such a short live, could contribute so much to the world.

As for "High School Science", do note there's more to the truth than meets the eye. We're standing on a flight of stairs built by the likes of Aristotle, Socrates, Tesla, Pythagoras, Faraday, etc. without whose contributions we're nothing. What we learn in mere minutes was guided by the conclusions of experiments that took several lifetimes to get right, and it was a tedious process indeed. These brave individuals traverse the unknown, build lights and pavements the hard was so their generations can follow without trouble.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #828 on: October 22, 2011, 04:57:10 pm »
Those who think that traditional Kurta aren't fashionable probably have a flawed sense of fashion. (I won The Best Dressed Male award last year at the institute while wearing a Kurta. Take that, hipsters!) My Grandpa was also a fan of Kurta, because you simply can't go wrong with it. And it makes me feel like a poet. XD

Of course, even women get fancy (and they've got more designs than males)!

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #829 on: October 24, 2011, 07:15:38 am »
Diwali would be enjoyable. Meh, I wish we'd have Halloween too.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: October 24, 2011, 07:59:52 am »
I am thoroughly amused at my stupid hipster attitude toward Sherlock Holmes, Norse mythology, and vampires.

As I've said before on here, I've loved the Conan Doyle short stories since I was 7 or 8.  I dressed as Sherlock Holmes for Halloween when I was 8 and when I was 10 I got the full unabridged book of all the stories for Christmas.

I became obsessed with Norse mythology when I was around 10 or 11.  I rented all the books I could find about them in the library, and developed a fascination with Loki.  I thought he was absolutely awesome.

When I was 6 I started reading about vampires and was automatically hooked.  From then on, most of my make-believe games involved vampires and werewolves; with the "monsters" being the good guys and the humans being the monstrous ones out to exterminate them.  I voraciously read anything and everything I could get my hands on about vampires until I was about 11 or 12.

( Embarrassing moment:: when I was around 7 or so (and still believed in God) I actually prayed to him to make me a vampire.  :picardno )

My interest in those three things led to me getting a lot of bullshit from people.  I was mercilessly bullied in Scotland for being quiet and nerdy and reading about Sherlock and the Norse gods instead of interacting with people.  I was bullied for other things as well, but the constant reading was a factor in being ostracized.

I was banned from being friends with people as a child because their parents thought my games of vampires and werewolves were "demonic".  My parents were SUPER pissed about that, but these parents were stupid and had no concept of a child's imagination.  Gotta love the fundie missionary community.  -___________-

Anyway...

These three things are now omgsoawesomemegapopular.  Everyone loves Loki now because they've seen Thor and they think he's hot.  Everyone loves vampires now because they've read or seen Twilight or any of the myriad of uber-sexualized vampire books because they think vampires are so ~mysterious~ and ~sexy~.  Everyone loves Sherlock Holmes now because of the TV series and the movie with Robert Downey Jr.

And yeah, the TV series is great and I have to admit that I did enjoy the movie a wee bit (but only because Robert Downey Jr is a FOX), but I LIKED SHERLOCK HOLMES FIRST, DAMMIT.

I liked Sherlock, vampires, and Loki when I was a kid, and I got shit for it because it was "uncool" to read Sherlock Holmes stories, books on Norse mythology, and play imaginary games where I was a vampire.  And now everyone can like this stuff because it's cool.  Grrrrrrrrrrr.

I realize I sound like a total and complete jerk right now, but I'm posting this in the amusement thread because my dumb attitude toward this and my "I LIKED THEM FIRST" mentality is incredibly stupid.

And most of this is tongue-in-cheek, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #831 on: October 24, 2011, 11:14:51 am »
I never really cared for vampires, to be honest. Even Bram Stroker. I just always found them dumb and boring, even though I can kind of see why others would like them. Furthermore, as of late, I've come to hate the cult of personality that Vlad Tepes has developed. I can understand why people are fascinated with him and his atrocious methods of disposing of enemies, but his entire link to "vampirism" is from the Bram Stroker novel. On that note, the common person today who's taken an interest in vampires knows more about Vlad Tepes than Bram Stroker did; he picked the Count of Transylvania as a protagonist randomly. In fact, he picked him because he seemed very generic and unknown, and so he could make up whatever he wanted about him.

That's another one of those amusing, to me anyways, historical parallels that shows we have advanced in knowledge.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #832 on: October 24, 2011, 11:32:03 am »
Firstly, I'm extremely sorry to hear that, Saj. It's an ugly social thing, basically: if you don't do what others do then you're bound to be bullied; they think you're "weird" and will poke fun at you (yeah, I've been there). However, if someone famous and influential (such as Pablo Picasso) makes the same difference, it's suddenly a new trend. It only goes to show that humanity will only listen to you when you've proven yourself.

Which is where my past rant comes in, and which is why I got into visual media as career option in the first place. Books are wonderful things, but human beings are naturally adaptable to visual and audial retelling instead of reading, thus the "majority first appeal". Visual and audial stories artificially synthesize "experience" which even appeals to most unimaginative folks who steer clear of books and literature. The latter, however, requires some amount of dedication. Then there's also the subliminal psychology of "fearing someone knows things they don't comprehend".  

Secondly, from the same post, my quote: "At the hands of a skilled writer even a man's mundane battle against his shoelace would make a masterpiece of a novella." It takes a skilled artist to paint even the most obnoxious thing as awesome, and creative directors do that well, bringing the most obscure of literature back to the people and show them just how awesome they really are. It's no wonder a lot of people are with ya today, and all thanks to Steven Moffat and Guy Ritchie!

Thirdly, Hipsters you say?  :D Lass, you aren't alone. I'm a Sherlock-hipster too (and Arsene Lupin, of course), and I also like to brag that "I liked the books first". But being a hipster is awesome in it's own way. Why? Because most people are afraid to be different, while we are brave and adventurous enough to try, and also recommend the good things than the bad things. But it pays to be a good story-teller, because that's when you get recognized. I remember being harassed by school-mates for liking odd things, but instantly gained respect when I mastered the ability to relay why I liked stuff. Think like Captain Nemo, who has sailed the seven storms and battled vicious monsters in endless oceans; think how he'd express his adventures poetically, and you become a master at changing people's views on reality. There's an indescribable bliss in standing on the table and telling a heart-wrenching tale while every friend flock together to listen to you.

Yes, when others try something they're bullied; but when Tushantin tries something it becomes a fad! Har hurr hurr!

And I've head quite a lot of success too! When I won the Best Dressed award in a Kurta, people started to wear it too. I was the first to try Kaspersky Internet Security, so my boss ordered packs in bulk (and abandoned the other products). I read Sherlock Holmes and Arsene Lupin, and now my friends want to follow up (even if it's a book, and they hate books). Thought made me watch Doctor Who, even if Indians haven't heard of it -- I watched it, so my friends do it too. My friends never cared about history, but through me they are now fascinated with people like Tesla, Vidocq, Worth, Pinkerton, Boudicca, etc. I used Ubuntu first, so a lot of people do it too. I was always the first to try something new and encourage people to do the same. I have somehow become a flame shedding light and influencing people around me, and it all comes down to how well you can create a spark of enthusiasm via story-telling. Body language is essential here.

And you can do it too.  :wink: Show them that your tastes are simply the best!

P.S.: Since you were considerate enough to tell us something intimate about you, I'm also obliged to share, I suppose. My embarrassment of belief, when at the age of 12, was that the star Sirius was actually a sentient being, watching my back. And I used to converse with the fella!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 11:34:37 am by tushantin »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #833 on: October 25, 2011, 11:30:33 am »
HOLLY SHEEP! The Weeping Angels have possessed Watson and are now haunting Sherlock Holmes! And all the great detective has for a clue is a mysterious recording:

"Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. He is fast, faster than you could believe. Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink."

[youtube]13YlEPwOfmk[/youtube]

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #834 on: October 25, 2011, 08:36:40 pm »
I'm extremely sorry for the triple post, but I just can't help myself!

Quote from: Youtube Comments
Times Hitler was punched out on-screen by Captain America in 2011: 0
Times Hitler was punched out on-screen by Rory Pond: 1

There was a goblin. Or a trickster, or a warrior. A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. Nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it – one day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world... and Rory Williams punched it in the face

Rory Williams - The Man who punched the 2 most terrifying men in the Universe: The Doctor and Adolf Hitler

The Universe tried to get rid of Rory Williams once - it exploded.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: October 25, 2011, 10:11:58 pm »
Captain America punched Hitler on stage a large amount of times while on tour (in the film). I remember because later when he's doing legitimate reconnaissance, another soldier asks if he knows what he's doing and he hilariously replies "Yeah, I've knocked out Hitler over 47 times".

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: October 25, 2011, 11:03:06 pm »
To be fair, he never actually punched the guy, and the guy was never actually Hitler.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: October 25, 2011, 11:30:55 pm »
Well if we're being fair, Rory didn't really do it in 2011. :-P

EDIT: Just realized tush didn't post that Rory did it in 2011. Decided to leave my silly reply anyway.  :P :P

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: October 26, 2011, 07:37:39 am »
Amusement::

-  Went to bed at 5 pm.
-  Got up at 4 am.

... What is wrong with me.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #839 on: October 26, 2011, 01:27:46 pm »
When Rory Williams punched the 11th Doctor, the 1st Doctor felt it.