Author Topic: Doctor Who/Torchwood  (Read 12821 times)

Ema

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Truth Filter, Goodness Filter & Utility Filter...
    • View Profile
    • IG
Re: Doctor Who/Torchwood
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2013, 05:33:38 pm »
He has had a few. xD Strax? Vastra (who is actually an Earthling anyway)?

Those guys that appeared in like 3 episodes?...That's hardly a companion.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2013, 06:57:15 pm »
If Adam Mitchell counts as a companion (and he does), Strax, Vastra, and Jenny totally count. Same with Sally Sparrow.

As for too campy... I'm not sure how to react, given that Doctor Who is almost by definition too campy.

So, who else here thinks that Miss Frizzle is a Time Lord?

Well, she's River Song, so, yes? I mean, I'm guessing that River gets to count as a time lord, at least as much as the Doctor's Daughter.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2013, 07:18:16 pm »
Ironically, during the years when I watched Old Who religiously, the Doctor had only two human companions, versus four from planets other than Earth, and two robots whom I'm not sure how to count.  Things sure have changed.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2013, 12:21:30 pm »
So-ho-ho! Looks like the Valeyard, the Doctor's 12th and darker incarnation, returns to haunt him again...

Love it? Hate it? Looking forward to that in the 50th Anniversary?

[youtube]YJ7VY2eUjXU[/youtube]
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 12:23:37 pm by tushantin »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2013, 05:18:44 pm »
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

I don't think that's who it is at all. I did, at first, think that it was a future incarnation of the Doctor or that Matt Smith was about to die and be replaced very soon. However, I am now of the (very hopeful) opinion that it's the "forgotten" Time War Doctor! There are unconfirmed rumors that John Hurt plays the "true" 9th doctor, which bumps the other doctors up one each, meaning Smith is actually 12. More importantly, this opens up the door to a Time-War-centric 50th anniversary story. We won't know for sure til November, and if this theory is correct I don't see why they couldn't have just gotten Paul McGann to do it but whatever John Hurt is awesome and it is looking epic. Since the Great Intelligence mentioned the Valeyard by name, we know that's still not out of the cards, but the Valeyard is supposed to be a version of the Doc between his 12th and final incarnations, which leads me to believe Smith is 12 and will become the Valeyard eventually. For now, TIME WAR! YEAH!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 05:28:37 pm by Mr Bekkler »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2013, 08:29:14 pm »
We know that River Song dies. We know that she's regenerated at least twice. Unless we assume she died a lot of times off screen, that means she should have several regenerations left (assuming she gets the Time Lord 13). We know that regeneration energy can be passed between individuals (River to the 11th, to heal him from the poison she gave him, and then from the 11th to River to heal her after she broke her wrist), as well as to objects (10th to his amputated hand), and that new regenerations can be given to a time lord to use (the Master). So, all told, there's only one man who could be so evil as to make the issue of limited regenerations worrisome.

And that man is Moffet! He's killed people you love. Stop him, before he strikes again!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2013, 11:16:29 pm »
I haven't seen the series finale yet...

But I already read reviews about the Valeyard. In all honesty, I didn't remember who he was when mentioned. I had to look him up to see who he was. I'd love to sit down and watch all the series beginning back with the First Doctor, but I simply don't have enough time. I'll just have to settle for Doctors Nine, Ten, Eleven (and the occasional episode before then).

Also, I'm absolutely in love with Clara. I'm looking forward to getting a greatest grasp on who she is and why she matters. :)

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2013, 05:57:53 am »
So, all told, there's only one man who could be so evil as to make the issue of limited regenerations worrisome.

And that man is Moffet! He's killed people you love. Stop him, before he strikes again!
LMFAO!!

Anywho, since Matt Smith did appear in Sarah Jane's Diary, he mentioned there that there's no limit to how many time he can regenerate.

Why? I thought there were only 12 regenerations, and 13 incarnations?

I'll tell you why:

Apparently BBC also has no intention of stopping Doctor Who even past the 13th Doctor. This being that the series has suddenly turned into their flagship (I think) and has growing in audience. At the same time, we can look at the technicalities: The Time Lords are capable of only 12 regenerations because the High Council limited it; Rassilon found a "truer" form of immortality, and the Master was granted multiple regenerations by the High Council because he proved to be an excellent soldier for the Time War.

But the High Council isn't there anymore, is it? The Time Lords are extinct. So what's stopping the Doctor from living forever? Eventually he'd outlive the universe, and find himself teaming up with himself over and over and over again.

Anywho, back to the "evil Doctor" bit: I don't think that Matt Smith's version is "bumped up to 12th Doctor", at least not by BBC standards. Instead, if what Bekkler says is true, than John Hurt is actually an older version of the 8th Doctor, who presumably took part in the Time War and regenerated into the 9th eventually. We do know by fact that the 8th had a ridiculous amount of adventures not shown on TV, and there's the missing arc where the eccentric debonair 8th turns into a comically ruthless and dark 9th. Why? We've seen the Doctor face impossible odds and still come out with his humanity intact (except for "Waters of Mars"). So what sort of a grotesque, dark circumstances pull this man of integrity to a breaking point?

Time War, isn't it?

You weren't there in the final days of the Time War. You don't know what was born. Skaro Degredation. Hoarde of Travesties. Nightmare Child. The Could-Have-Been-King with his armies of Meanwhiles and Neverweres. The war turned into hell. Hell is descending!

....Dammit, I wanna make a fan-animation of Time War (but not too complex), but I wonder where I can get a British voice actor around here...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 06:00:08 am by tushantin »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2013, 12:39:17 pm »
Things might have changed, but it's been confirmed that John Hurts the "true" 9th doctor. But it's also been stated that the 11th (and 10th) aren't supposed to recognize him, yet at the end of the Name of the Doctor, it seems very clear that the 11th is very familiar with him indeed, so who knows what's been changed. And its all because the 9th doctor didn't want to return (I understand that Eccelson has had a hard time of it, but I am really sad we wont get to seem him again).

Although, maybe I missed it, but I don't think the 8th doctor appeared when the past incarnations were running about. Neither was 10, but we know that Tennants coming back. So that might hint that Hurt IS the 8ths.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2013, 07:41:47 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Matt-Smith-to-leave-Doctor-Who

No!

NOOO!!

GADDAMMIT!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

GOD, NU!

:(

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2013, 08:14:19 am »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2013, 05:14:21 pm »
BTW, just realized; isn't it highly probably that the Doctor's actual name might be Theta Sigma (even though it's known as a "nickname" rather)? But why Theta Sigma anyway?
http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Aliases_of_the_Doctor

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 05:18:20 pm by tushantin »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2013, 05:28:34 pm »
I loved Thought's idea that it was "Run". So charming.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #103 on: July 19, 2013, 12:31:38 pm »
The twelfth Doctor might be a woman?!

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT!  :D
Asked for his (Matt Smith's) ideal candidate: “Whoever it is will be will be the right actor…or actress. Let’s wait and see… who she is,” he says giving a look to the camera.

[youtube]5cyHssh4wx4[/youtube]

And since they did mention it....

.....yep, it exists. (And the actors don't even know about it!)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:46:35 pm by tushantin »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 19, 2013, 12:35:16 pm »
The twelfth Doctor might be a woman?!

...might be played by a woman. I'm not totally convinced the Doctor is a man in the human sense, or that genders are nearly "the same" between time lords and humans. Can't be sure.