Author Topic: The ‘Polis War  (Read 1413 times)

Silvercry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
    • The Great Silvercry's Blog
The ‘Polis War
« on: June 01, 2005, 09:48:26 pm »
If you look around the Internet for Chrono fan fiction, you’ll notice several things:

1) Most of them suck.  Its brutal, but true.
2) There are roughly 5 “Magus Searching For Schala” fics for every copy of both CT and CC ever sold.  That angle has been done to death (I know -- one of them is mine)
3) There almost as many,  “Janus’ life as he was raised by the Mystics” fics.  And for some reason I cannot (and refuse to) fathom, 75% of these somehow involve  Janus & Flea slash.   Ummm, eww.
4) No one has any idea if Schala and Kid merged into a single being at the end of CC.  Neither do I.
5) Crono and Marle get married (forgivable since the PS1 re-release of CT).
5) Lavos always, always, ALWAYS returns in some form or fashion.

The Chrono fanfic universe has gotten a little cliché over the years (I have yet to read any from this site, so this is not directed at anyone here).  One in a whaile, you find a gem, and they are usually set in the Kindom Of  Zeal.  Lost of rich culture and history there to make a story out of.  But there is another time period that has gone ignored.  One you never see in any game, but is crucial to the existence of Chrono Cross in particular.

I am referring of course to the year 7600 BC, and the war between Dinopolis and Chronoplis.

We know but a hint of the story.  Time Crash occurs in 2400AD, Chronoplis gets pulled back to 7600 BC by Lavos.  The Planet then pulls Dinopolis from an alternate future to serve as a counter balance.  Draconians and the Dragon God square off against Humans and FATE.  FATE wins.  The stage is set for Chrono Cross.

But wait, back up a second.

Why did they come to blows?  Would they not have more to gain by co-operating?  Could not the combined power of FATE (and by extension, the Frozen Flame) and The Dragon God enabled them both to find a way back home?  Could the citizens of both cities have co-existed?  Did they even try?  

Sound like a section of history that begs to be explored.  The way I see it, theres a few questions that need answering first:

What was FATE’s purpose before the Time Crash?  Was it desgined specifically for the counter-time experiment, or was it simply the 'main computer' of Chronopolis?  For that matter, what  does F.A.T.E. stand for?
Would the Draconians recognize humans as their ancient rivals?  (I’m guessing not)
What is the nature of Draconians society?  (This could be pretty much made up by the author.)

Open to suggestions/discussion*.  It would be some time before I could get started on writing such a project in any event.

*-Like a better  name.  "The Polis War" just sounds lame.

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
The ‘Polis War
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 11:52:45 pm »
I think this calls for Daniel.  I'm fresh out of war names.

Daniel Krispin

Re: The ‘Polis War
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 12:31:06 am »
Quote from: Silvercry
If you look around the Internet for Chrono fan fiction, you’ll notice several things:

Most fanfiction as a whole is badly done. Most especially those on a free posting site such as ff.net. Where anyone can post what they wish, there is no quality control, and people do not care to put the time into editing and reworking, and only wish to post something as quickly as they can to have it reviewed.

2) There are roughly 5 “Magus Searching For Schala” fics for every copy of both CT and CC ever sold.  That angle has been done to death (I know -- one of them is mine)
3) There almost as many,  “Janus’ life as he was raised by the Mystics” fics.  And for some reason I cannot (and refuse to) fathom, 75% of these somehow involve  Janus & Flea slash.   Ummm, eww.
4) No one has any idea if Schala and Kid merged into a single being at the end of CC.  Neither do I.

Well, I was of the understanding that the end implied as much... but I may be mistaken.

Well, THAT one I'm guilty of, too, but to my defence it was my first try at writing. However, it is measurably better to recall an old foe, especially one that seems to be a constant in the series, than bringing forward a new enemy of greater power. Never attempt to best the game's chief foe, nor outmatch the old tale's mightiest hero. That, I think, should be an unwritten rule of sequel fanfiction.

The Chrono fanfic universe has gotten a little cliché over the years (I have yet to read any from this site, so this is not directed at anyone here).  One in a whaile, you find a gem, and they are usually set in the Kindom Of  Zeal.  Lost of rich culture and history there to make a story out of.  But there is another time period that has gone ignored.  One you never see in any game, but is crucial to the existence of Chrono Cross in particular.

I am referring of course to the year 7600 BC, and the war between Dinopolis and Chronoplis.

True. I think its existance as a valid time location is often overlooked amidst the many revalations in Chronopolis and in Terra Tower. Though I did always like that picture of the black fighters assaulting the mighty fortress of the Dragons.

We know but a hint of the story.  Time Crash occurs in 2400AD, Chronoplis gets pulled back to 7600 BC by Lavos.  The Planet then pulls Dinopolis from an alternate future to serve as a counter balance.  Draconians and the Dragon God square off against Humans and FATE.  FATE wins.  The stage is set for Chrono Cross.

But wait, back up a second.

Why did they come to blows?  Would they not have more to gain by co-operating?  Could not the combined power of FATE (and by extension, the Frozen Flame) and The Dragon God enabled them both to find a way back home?  Could the citizens of both cities have co-existed?  Did they even try?  

Sound like a section of history that begs to be explored.  The way I see it, theres a few questions that need answering first:

What was FATE’s purpose before the Time Crash?  Was it desgined specifically for the counter-time experiment, or was it simply the 'main computer' of Chronopolis?  For that matter, what  does F.A.T.E. stand for?
Would the Draconians recognize humans as their ancient rivals?  (I’m guessing not)
What is the nature of Draconians society?  (This could be pretty much made up by the author.)

Open to suggestions/discussion*.  It would be some time before I could get started on writing such a project in any event.

Quote from: Hadriel
I think this calls for Daniel. I'm fresh out of war names.

Well, I'm not all that great at names for stories and all. Winged words and speech-like dialogue are more my skill, at least currently. And, actually, Polis does have some merit in that it means city, or city state... I'll check... yes, a city, though I figure most everyone knew that - just making sure. As for names, I've only ever made up two for stories: Twilight of Fate (which borrows from the mistranslation of Ragnarok, Twilight of the Gods, a little), and Annals of the Children of the Nephilim... which is not the most exciting of names. Chapter names are a little easier. For this... my mind is blank. Though I am quite tired, and all my synonymns, which usually come to me with far greater ease, are eluding my mind.

Aitrus

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 01:10:02 am »

I know what you mean.  My first (and only thus far) fanfic was of this vein, although I did try to take it in a different direction.  Look at "Crimson Tears" here on the Compendium if you care to read.  Just forgive the horrid magician's fight in the middle; I'm gonna try and rework that (and most of the rest of the story) soon, apply a few more years of writing experience to it.

Something referring to the fact that they're from the future, maybe?  "Time's War" or "The Dimension Wars"?

But, I do have to agree with Daniel here, "The Polis War" is actually pretty good.  Unique, at any rate.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
The ‘Polis War
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 01:28:10 am »
Well, I don't know how good I am at giving names, but I'll give it a shot:
The War of Fate
Wrath of the Planet  (since the Dragonians were the Planet's reps, agianst Lavos' reps, Chronopolis)
Clash of Dimensions

Meh, I must be running on empty or something.  anyway, thats all I could come up with :)

Daniel Krispin

The ‘Polis War
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 03:16:33 am »
Actually, you've got some good ones going there. Both 'Wrath of the Planet' and 'War of Fate' figure in nicely: one exemplifying Terra Tower, and the other FATE and Chronopolis.

A comment, though, on 'The Polis War'... I would then take that to be referring to both cities, Terra Tower and Chronopolis. In that case, Polis should be in the plural, though I'm not sure what the Greek Plural for Polis is. I'll see if I can find it out.

Just checked it out and found something interesting. Dipolis is essentially 'two cities'. Thus you could have 'The Dipolis War'. Just a thought.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
The ‘Polis War
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 11:47:41 am »
I wouldn't be so annoyed at that list. Magus is the most popular PC so it should be expected as much that the majority of the fanfics would be about him. And since it was implied at the end of Trigger that he was going to search for Schala it would seem logical for that to be what he focused on next.

As for a new name for the war...

The war of future's past
Belthasar's war

I have more, but I am late for class.

Daniel Krispin

The ‘Polis War
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 01:22:19 pm »
Quote from: CTcronoboy
The war of future's past

THERE'S a good one!

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 08:36:05 pm »

If anything, that's the understatement of the century. Unfortunately, every fan thinks, "fanfic, huh? i'm a fan, i write a lot in my blog...I CAN MAKE A FANFIC!"

Correction...THIS is the understatement of the century. Isn't it a requirement for all fanfic writers to make a "Magus Searching For Schala" fic? I'm pretty sure it is. Hell, it's my one and only fanfic...Although...I've been trying to make it original...But I haven't read many other Magus fics...I just love the character and try to stay true to who he was (to me, at least).

I guess you mean a love triangle? That is disturbing...I don't think I see Flea as being capable of loving anyone though, really...He's too into himself...

I don't think they were merged. For one, in the end, you get to see Schala roaming around the city. Secondly, you see Kid off on one of them boats (it looks like a Korcha-type boat). Ta-da! That's enough for me...

Ack! I always liked Lucca...Heh. But, yeah, now we know they DO get married...

Meh, I don't know about this one...I don't know about the other Compendium fanfics (of what I've read of most it doesn't happen), but I have no plans for any action coming from Lavos...

But there is another time period that has gone ignored.

I've always thought there haven't been many 65,000,000 BC fics...Maybe that's because no one wants to write all their dialogue in crappy Ayla-speech...Man, would that be annoying to write...Much less read!

War of/for the Worlds
Dinobots Vs Decepticons
The Zero Hour War
War Zero

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
The ‘Polis War
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 08:38:51 pm »
The congestion of fics about the other characters is why I'm doing mine about Ayla -- if I ever manage to finish it.  Right now my main focus is my Star Wars story, a parody of Knights of the Old Republic II.  It's a humorous work that uses absurdism, objectionable content, and often farcical situations to drive home a serious philosophical point, much like the works of Douglas Adams and Trey Parker/Matt Stone.

Silvercry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
The ‘Polis War
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 03:25:17 pm »
Wow.  Hey thanks for all the suggestions for names, everyone.  Currently, I find V_Translanka's 'The Zero Hour War', CTcronoboy's 'The War of Future's Past (or more simply: 'Future's Past'), and Daniel Krispin's 'The Dipolis War' to be my favorites.  I remain open to suggestion, however.  Keep those ideas coming!  

Outline ideas for this story are just starting to come together, though I have yet to set pen to paper (or electrons to pixels, as it were).  Its currently third on my list of priorities, behind my half-finished Xenosaga fanfic "Bring me To Life", and my barely begun Kingdom Hearts/Dark Tower crossover "Neither Fire Nor Ice".  Which is a pleasant way of saying: don’t hold your breath, but rest assured I am working on it.  It will just take a while.  (Did I also mention I am expecting my first child in a few months?  Talk a about a Free Time Devourer...)

By the by, does anyone have any idea what FATE stands for?  I've always thought it was an abbreviation for something, being capitalized and all.  Also, Chronoplis had military presence, did it not?  What little I remember that was revealed about the city has been obscured by the mist of time... which is kind of funny when you think about it.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
The ‘Polis War
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2005, 10:43:30 pm »
Quote from: Daniel Krispin
Quote from: CTcronoboy
The war of future's past

THERE'S a good one!

I am so smart! I am so smart! S M R T! S M R T! I mean S M A R T! S M A R T!

I can never overuse that quote, ever. :)

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
The ‘Polis War
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2005, 05:46:23 am »
The Two towers, eat your heart out. Since now we have....

THE TWO POWERS! Fate vs the Dragon Gods or..

A TALE OF TWO CITIES... literalyXD

Silvercry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
The ‘Polis War
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2005, 08:06:34 pm »
Hey, everyone.  I’m still here, in case you were wondering.  However, work on the Dipolis War is going kind of slow due the imminent arrival of my first child, and all that goes with that.  That and the other three stories that I really should finish first.

The outlines is coming together nicely, but this is turning into a bigger task than I had originally thought, mostly because so many original characters have to be created and fleshed out.  Almost no one from either game can be used for this particular time frame, with exception of FATE itself, possibly Robo (as the Prometheus circuit) and maybe Belthasar.

Here’s a glimpse of the chapter titles so far.  All are subject to change, of course.

1 The Best of Times
    2 Time Crash
    3 Through the Looking Glass
(and What Terra Found There)
4 tba
5 tba
6 The Worst Of Times
7 Challenge FATE
8 Fight The Future
9 tba[/list:u]

Be seeing you all again soon!

Claado Shou

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
The ‘Polis War
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005, 08:26:37 pm »
That's 3 out of 6 named chapters using the word "time".  Seems a bit like overkill, doesn't it?

[/obligatorycriticismpost]

:D

~.C.S.~