Author Topic: SHA-ZAM EGM Chrono before Prerelease  (Read 1723 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: SHA-ZAM EGM Chrono before Prerelease
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 10:18:29 am »
Okay, I determined that the Goon in Manoria Cathedral screenshot features unique dialogue not in our Prerelease translations. I've added it to the Material Requiring Translation page along with the upper left screenshot (the winter Heckran battle). Here's the final coverage:

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Alpha_Version_Screenshot.html#Magazines

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 07:43:07 pm »
Just had a thought, does EGM still make magazines anymore? That's where I got it from and if they still do maybe write them a letter or contact them somehow, requesting that since nowadays magazines have better quality without the dottiness, add some of those screens on a website or in magazine or whatever. Is it worth a shot? Cause some of those new sprites I'm interested in, like one handed sword Crono, and Ayla casting magic. The new areas would also be great, specially to make a tileset for and then, the possibilities? UNLIMITED.

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 04:18:36 pm »
Even though the company went down earlier this year, they are expected to launch new issues in the upcoming months thanks to someone picking them up. Also, I don't know whether they allow you to see old images of the magazines, but I guess it's worth a try due to today's internet.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 06:04:49 pm »
I know other magazines have done it before, if you're either lucky or make it some bizarre fashion they can't help but notice.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 06:52:02 pm »
I apologize for the double post(never like doing it)but this I think you'll also find interesting...
I finished going through all those magazines and yet ANOTHER Electronic Gaming Monthly Magazine, Issue #63 October 1994, has Donkey Kong Country on the front, advertises yet another preview of Chrono Trigger! This one has a few pictures we don't have yet...

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/4438/chronotriggeregmpage3.jpg

The first is a new picture! It looks like the typical Epoch flying scene... but notice this! You can see them flying over land! That isn't what's truly intriguing however... What REALLY caught my notice is while this quality can't quite catch it for you to see, I matched this color scheme to another time period... 1999 AD. Perhaps they had something planned where you could actually visit the Day Of Lavos for more than just Lavos? The party consists of Crono, Ayla, and Frog.
I apologize. I see this pic was already in there. But I still want to think that 1999 AD was playable. The 2nd is still good though.

The 2nd is also brand new. In fact, no picture is at all like this one! It depicts them in the Palace of The Sun. Where you find the Sun Stone? Odd thing though, is Janus and Schala are there. So this explains why they have the graphics and detail and everything for the two unaccessable floating islands. It wasn't to be consistent! You originally were able to go there! Perhaps this is also why there was the extra Zeal dungeon that never got used... It appears different from in 2300 AD as you can see the jewel helmed pillars on the sides and and from what I see in the magazine almost looks like a prototype Mammon Machine? I'm taking a guess as to what that thing is. Schala's sprite is also different, you can see under her robe!(alright, get the sexual jokes out of your systems). I'm still trying to make out what it is but I'll let you know when I figure it out. If ANYONE can figure it out despite the computer's horrible quality, please! I'd be glad to be enlightened as to what she's wearing! (Now, this theory I know is VERY far fetched for one change, but is it possible she could have had more story to her, or possibly even playable, like how CE had her without her robe perhaps that could've been here? Just a thought). Janus is unchanged, and Crono's Alpha sprite is being used.

The third pic is hardly new, we've seen it plenty times before. EXCEPT! I don't think it's had that battle menu before... Very basic, looks like no load times for attacking existed. My guess is that it was being used by the creators simply during beta testing to maybe get through faster to specific parts, see that everything worked, etc.

I wish I had still yet more magazines to go through and add even more! But that's the end of the line. I've seen plenty of things most fan sites don't have, but we're looking up Chrono here. I'm interested in finding more EGM magazines since they seem to have plenty of things that generally no other souyrces have in terms of prerelease pictures, good articles, interviews, artwork, etc. It's gotta help that unlike almost every magazine in the US, they had(or have, still gotta find out if they're around)plenty of sources in Japan and got to personally be in the studio doing their interviews and stuff while the game was in the middle of being made!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 12:25:53 am by ONSLAUGHT »