Author Topic: Does Anyone Think There Will Be A Chrono Cross Remake?  (Read 6359 times)

Nitemares

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Does Anyone Think There Will Be A Chrono Cross Remake?
« on: August 25, 2009, 09:47:11 pm »
does anyone think there will be a a Chrono Cross remake like Chrono Trigger for the DS, which fills in the blanks like it did with Trigger?

i think if it does make a remake of Cross, they'll only do it so that there will NEVER be a sequel to this great series, cause the remake of Trigger filled in a lot of questions that you thought would be in the 3rd series.

not sure if this has been discussed, but i haven't been on in a while, so what does anyone think, have they heard any news?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Does Anyone Think There Will Be A Chrono Cross Remake?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 09:55:28 pm »
"Never" is a long time, so I won't say that it'll never happen. However, I do think it is unlikely at this point. In my opinion, some other development in the Chrono series would have to precede any revisit to Chrono Cross.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 10:01:55 pm »
I also think it's unlikely. I don't really know much about Chrono Cross, but wasn't it poorly rated? That might be a reason for them not to want to bother.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 10:23:23 pm »
I think it would be most interesting for Kato to follow up on the retcon of Guile's nature as suggested in CT:DS. There's definitely some opportunity here. If SE doesn't see it that way, maybe the fans will do it and get another C&D for their effort.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 10:34:57 pm by FaustWolf »

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 10:25:33 pm »
haha zaichikarky watch who you say that around. remember that picture zeality made. chrono cross did very well in america, from what i understand. dont know about japan though.
perhaps right now theyre working on it, or maybe theyre thinking of a new game.

or theyre just fucking with us.
personally i think its that one.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 10:51:04 pm »
If I recall correctly, Chrono Cross sold nearly 1.5 million copies worldwide and was widely acclaimed, though most of its decry comes from people who wanted something more similar to Chrono Trigger.

Anyhow, I think it's unlikely that we'll get a new installment in the Chrono series any time soon. I won't say it'll never happen, but it's gonna take some time...I do think it's more likely that we'll see a CC remake...though I dunno when.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 10:52:26 pm »
haha zaichikarky watch who you say that around.

Why? I didn't say it's a shit game, I said I don't know much about it, and from what I heard, the ratings are not so strong. I don't know how well it sold. I didn't hear those statistics. I read some ratings and it seems like one of those love it or hate it games.

remember that picture zeality made.

I don't know what you're referring to.

chrono cross did very well in america, from what i understand. dont know about japan though.

I never pay attention to sales numbers. It does not determine what is a good game or not, but it does to SE. According to the statistics, Chrono Cross shipped 1.5 million copies all over the world. How does that compare to other SE games in that generation? Final Fantasy 10 did almost 10 million copies. Final Fantasy 8 was 8.5 million copies. Final Fantasy 9 5.3. Also, Chrono Cross rarely is on any "critics" list of top 10 RPGs for the PSX. However, another "top RPG"  for that time is Xenogears(a square game) , which sold poorer than CC. Xenogears was re-released apparently.

So really, it's hard to say what's in SE's minds these days. I personally feel like they don't give a shit about their fans. This can be said with some truth especially for SE America. But the Japanese are responsible for rereleasing any game, and they are influenced by a variety of factors.

Nitemares

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 11:13:21 pm »
only reason why those other games sold a lot is cause they just labeled it "Final Fantasy", otherwise it wouldn't have sold that much, it's a known fact.

Chrono Cross did sell very well in the USA, they even re-did the front of it with the green label on the cover of best seller or whatever.

i think we will get a remake of Cross, and after a third, maybe they just want to re-release Trigger like they did and maybe Cross in the future to make a new one, without that many plotholes like in the original Trigger and Cross. they probably had a lot of plotholes originally cause they couldn't put it in the game and had to work around it cause of memory.

but here's to hopes.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 11:19:14 pm by Nitemares »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 11:14:47 pm »
Sales numbers for videogames are insanely difficult to find. The best resource I've seen -- VG Chartz -- seems rather incomplete considering it never acquired info on US sales of Chrono Cross at all. Do videogame companies horde sales numbers as an industry secret or something? It seems that consumers should have access to sales numbers so that fans can organize and lobby with accurate information in hand. Without accurate sales information, Chrono Cross could have sold ten million copies in the US and Shinji Hashimoto could claim anything he pleases. Lack of information on either the buyer's side of the seller's side breeds market inefficiency.

Chrono Cross has wonderful merits, especially on the technical side. It had to have production values on par with Final Fantasy IX. If not, somebody was being underpaid.

Nitemares

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 11:18:22 pm »
one thing i didn't like about Cross was 45 players to choose from, i'm sure they could have put the story of Janus/Magus/Guile in there, like hints to move to a third one, if they cut all but like 10 - 15 players, most of the players on there were just dumb, like Van, Turnip, NeoFio, Draggy, Poshul and many others.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 11:27:29 pm by Nitemares »

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 11:21:00 pm »
only reason why those other games sold a lot is cause they just labeled it "Final Fantasy", otherwise it wouldn't have sold that much, it's a known fact.

Chrono Cross did sell very well in the USA, they even re-did the front of it with the green label on the cover of best seller or whatever.

i think we will get a remake of Cross, and after a third, maybe they just want to re-release Trigger like they did and maybe Cross in the future to make a new one, without that many plotholes like in the original Trigger and Cross. they probably had a lot of plotholes originally cause they couldn't put it in the game and had to work around it cause of memory

but here's to hopes.

I'm not quite so sure about that. FFIX was a great game. It would have fared just as well under a different name.

Who knows, maybe they'll always be re-releasing Chrono and Final Fantasy on new systems instead of making new installments.

Nitemares

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 11:26:09 pm »
Who knows, maybe they'll always be re-releasing Chrono and Final Fantasy on new systems instead of making new installments.

yeah i know what you mean, they need to keep the re-makes to 1 per game and do the sequels also, they always leave the sequels out for the re-make which is dumb in my opinion.

i'm really into Lunar Silver Star and Lunar Eternal Blue, it's great they re-made both for the playstation, but they did a re-make of Silver Star Story on gameboy advance and now they're re-making it on the hand held playstation, what happened to re-making Lunar Eternal Blue on the Advance or something else.

i hope they re-do Final Fantasy III (final fantasy VI) on the DS like they did Final Fantasy II (final fantasy IV) completely re-vamped.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 11:29:44 pm by Nitemares »

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 11:41:52 pm »
haha zaichikarky watch who you say that around.

Why? I didn't say it's a shit game, I said I don't know much about it, and from what I heard, the ratings are not so strong. I don't know how well it sold. I didn't hear those statistics. I read some ratings and it seems like one of those love it or hate it games.

remember that picture zeality made.

I don't know what you're referring to.
the picture was basically zeality's flipoff to all cross haters and those who say it didnt sell well. i wonder if he'll pull it up. i have no clue where to find it.
no offense, but someone might get a little angry over that.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 11:47:03 pm »
I believe there is a chance. Like FW said...
I think it would be most interesting for Kato to follow up on the retcon of Guile's nature as suggested in CT:DS. There's definitely some opportunity here. If SE doesn't see it that way, maybe the fans will do it and get another C&D for their effort.
It just plain wouldn't be smart at all for them to ditch Chrono altogether, what with it being easily in their top 5 most popular series of all. FF is only "popular" because since it's a brand new game everytime, no one knows what it is and no one wants to be that guy/girl who may have missed out on possibly the greatest game of all time if the next in the series turns out to be that way. Many series are that way. Mario, Zelda, Sonic, Tomb Raider, etc. They're extremely well selling because every game is a brand new adventure and story all together and no one is sure if it's good or bad.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 12:04:48 am »
Yeah, what good would it do the company to make it so that no future titles of ANY series could be made? That's just not gonna happen. I could see CC getting a remake (on PSP anyways...maybe), but I think an eventual PSN release is more likely, but who knows? I'd rather have Chrono 4, but if a remake or port of CC could work to those ends, that's fine too.

Oh, and there's a whole Chrono series discussion forum, so away we go~!!