Author Topic: Dimensional Vortices, Dalton, Dream Devourer, and Magus  (Read 13350 times)

Philosopher1701

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Dimensional Vortices, Dalton, Dream Devourer, and Magus
« on: July 28, 2009, 02:32:45 am »
What exactly are the Dimensional Vortices? I assume that they were created because of the Dream Devourer's existence, but how would that be?

How did Dalton end up inside the 1000 AD dimensional vortex?

Why is the Dream Devourer larger than the Time Devourer?

Is Serge somehow connected to Magus now? I had an old theory that Serge was actually a reincarnation of Janus, and Magus mentions something about some aspect of himself surviving and creating a greater meaning for his situation. Guile never realizes who he really is, so I'm not sure if Magus was necessarily referring to himself.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Dimensional Vortices, Dalton, Dream Devourer, and Magus
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 03:12:24 am »
I don't think they're created because of the Dream Devourer's existence. I think that once you're through the Vortexes (i.e. kill those dimensions' versions of Crono, Marle & Lucca), you create a kind of secondary Angelus Errere that allows Crono & Co. access to where the Dream Devourer is.

Dalton was cast into his own empty summon...where that leads we do not know, but somehow (either directly or indirectly) it was connected.

Easier to render a smaller enemy in 3D?

I don't think so.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 03:15:27 am »
Maybe they were Flame trials. They had to conquer their weaknesses in order for the Dream Devourer to come in contact with them.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 03:17:40 am »
Yeah, but the names of  their Techs are different, which, along with some of the character lines when entering seems to be pointing to you being in an alternate dimension (& what we already know from Serge & Co. getting to the Devourer of Time)...

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 03:21:38 am »
Wouldn't a Flame trial require you to come into contact with the Frozen Flame? Unless, of course, the Flame decided that it should create elaborate tests for these three teenagers after a brief encounter in the Undersea Palace.

I find it more likely that the strain of all their time travel, the other gates opening, and the Ocean Palace rising, tears started to form in the dimensions. Crono, Marle and Lucca all had heavy hands in this time traveling business (and they're main characters), so their memories/other-dimensional selves/whatever formed together better.
Lifting the Ocean Palace into the sky, completely transforming its shape in the process, Queen Zeal's apparent immortality, and the strange conglomeration of otherworldly monsters and Lavos Spawn would no doubt exert quite a strain on the fabric of time in the world. Constant use of the Epoch couldn't have helped much either. It's more fun to envision a CT world in which time is nearly falling apart at the seems like this, anyway.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 02:27:59 pm »
Well they only open once Lavos is defeated, right? So perhaps it is the remnants of that non-Entity dimension, now being banished to the DBT...

chapapote

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 10:08:55 am »
In a New Game, they open at the same time as the Lost Sanctum. Maybe due to the same reason.

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 06:02:35 pm »
Once Lavos is defeated and sent to the Darkness Beyond Time, it finds and merges with Schala, creating the being that will eventually become the Time Devourer and will, if unchecked, destroy all of space-time.

It's my belief that once this merging happens, an Entity becomes aware of the threat and seeks to empower Crono with the ability to defeat it by leading him to the Dimensional Vortices. This Entity may be the spirit of the planet, reprising the role it played in creating the Time Gates, but I suspect it is actually a different Entity: the spirit of existence itself, since the stakes are much higher than the life of one world. Obviously this plan doesn't work, else we wouldn't have the events of Chrono Cross, but it was certainly worth a shot.

I don't have anything to back up this theory; it's just supposition on my part. And I have an even shakier tangential theory concerning the Lost Sanctum.

I propose that with the barriers between dimensions becoming thin due to the introduction of the Vortices, the Planet-Entity of the Reptite timeline reached across the worlds and created the gates to the Lost Sanctum in an attempt to save the Reptites of Crono's dimension from extinction.* Not as some kind of scheme to return them to prominence and take revenge on the humans, but as a simple maternal desire to see her "lost children" survive.

Again, just idle supposition with nothing to back it up. Indeed, the fact that the Lost Sanctum gates appear before the Dimensional Vortices on the first play-through would seem to refute it. I don't have an answer for that other than an unsatisfactory, "Hey, time travel."

* To go on a tangent of a tangent and further refute my own theory, I'm not certain the Reptites went completely extinct in the human timeline (not counting Chrono Cross's Dragonians which are known to have died out). The reason being the presence of the Green Ambler at the Millenial Fair. However, since nothing is known of this character beyond a love of racing, we can't say for sure whether he is an actual Reptite or just some sort of Mystic or demi-human who reuses the Reptite sprite. But the non-canonical "fact" that the Ambler is replaced by a human in the Dino Age ending would seem to imply that he is indeed a surviving Reptite. (I'm basing my assumption of the Ambler's gender on the fact that its Dino Age replacement is a male sprite... That's a lot of assumptions!)

To4oo4

• Porrean (+50)
  • Again, the bitter black winds begin to howl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 03:14:14 pm »
In a New Game, they open at the same time as the Lost Sanctum. Maybe due to the same reason.
I thought they only opened in a New Game+.

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 10:46:37 am »
In a New Game, the Dimensional Vortices appear after Lavos is beaten (definitely after the main ending, but I'm not sure about the optional endings). After the credits, you're given the option to save your completion data, then you can then load that save and visit the Vortices in the New Game you just finished.

In a New Game +, the Vortices are already there from the beginning, but you can't access them until later.

The Lost Sanctum appears when the Black Omen rises, NG or NG+.

To4oo4

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 11:32:30 am »
My bad. Thanks, Razig.

trig

• Level ** (100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 05:57:11 pm »
BIG OOPS

I did not know they would be there if I simply launched my pre-final-battle save. It's already been overwritten by a NG+. Now I'm gonna be playing for a long time before I can access it

I guess I misunderstood the purpose of "Save your completion data"...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 05:58:14 pm by trig »

To4oo4

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 06:33:05 pm »
Eh, don't worry. It's usually pretty easy to speed through the first half of a NG+.