Author Topic: Another celebrity dead!  (Read 4786 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Another celebrity dead!
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 11:48:21 pm »
Case in point of Apple's greed:

My in-laws bought me an iPodTouch last year. It wasn't really what I wanted, but I thought, what the heck! I had a Mac laptop from late 2007 and plugged it up. Guess what - my 2007 MacbookPro is so outdated that it can't run my new iPod.

I also have an old PC. It's an old Dell from about 2002, Pentium IV, 50 gigs of ram, half a gig of RAM. This thing runs on WindowsXP. It works fine, but it's a bit dated. I plug the iPod into this computer and guess what - it works fine.

Essentially Mac engineered the iPod to be obsolete on Mac products that were more than two years old. That was my last straw. You hear it from me now: as a one-time Mac fan (at least enough to have bought a second-hand Apple laptop for graphic design), I have sworn them off.

It feels so good.

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 11:51:48 pm »
Steve Jobs' "How to Live Before You Die" commencement speech is very moving:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/1422863/posts

(Forgive the link to Free Republic, but it's the only transcript of the speech I can find!)

For the love of everything holy, modern medicine needs to find a way to deal with pancreatic cancer already. Long-term survival is almost non-existent. Steve Jobs had a rare form (5% of pancreatic cancer cases) that is treatable... and he still died. The other 95% is silent and horribly aggressive. (A lot of people learn they're going to die from pancreatic cancer while they're still feeling 100% healthy.)

For that matter, we need to get rid of all cancer already.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 12:28:55 am »
Aye. Cancer is a scourge, scary and indefatigable. I long for the day when the number-one cause of death is a contest between being donked on the head by a leprechaun whose pot of gold you stole, and crashing your star cruiser into a factory filled with cheesecake.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 12:59:37 am »
Fred Shuttlesworth--an influential civil rights activist--died today as well.  I know he's not a celebrity, but I thought he should be mentioned as well.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 01:18:35 am »
It's Obama's fault, you know. He said his stimulus would save Jobs, but it didn't.  8)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 09:09:57 am »
Firstly, RIP Fred Shuttlesworth; barely knew ya.

(This is to you, and all the haters, ZeaLitY)

Yo, what's with all this hate? I agree that Apple products have their cons (and they really do con A LOT ) and their marketing is horrible (and intriguingly effective), but you can't deny that the late Steve Jobs managed to change the world as he envisioned. He was in his true SPRINGTIME OF YOUTH, he made computing better, he put internet in our pockets, simple calculations and heavy gadgets a thing of the past, introduced revolutionary products that many industries would mimic, AND lived like there was no tomorrow! If you're still living in that bubble of yours called "Microsoft Windows" then there's a good chance you either can't or don't want to know of the positive sides of his innovations. But people like me who can't afford a ToonBoom package, let alone a fucking iPod (did I mention I don't even have a game console?), who aren't afraid to step out and see technology beyond our workspace can feel the positive consequences brought about by this great visionary.

I never bought a single Apple product till this date, and I don't even want em, but I'm not blind to notice that things wouldn't have been so awesome today if it wasn't for Steve Jobs; even the indirect consequences shed so much light in the tech-world that even the poor folks like me could benefit (hello, Ubuntu and Faenza! Howdy, Android, never knew ya!)

As for the horrid marketing, blame human psychology; our beloved dreamer was just doing his job. Rest in Peace, Steve Jobs; thank you for everything!

« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 09:12:12 am by tushantin »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 10:03:38 am »
It's Obama's fault, you know. He said his stimulus would save Jobs, but it didn't.  8)

I loled in class! Damn you!

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 11:17:12 am »
Um, tushantin? Ubuntu's pedigree is well-known, and has absolutely nothing that I can see to do with Steve Jobs. A South African named Mark Shuttleworth created Ubuntu to make a buck by selling support services, a guy named Ian Murdock created its parent distro (Debian) because he wanted a Linux that followed certain policies, and it all ultimately goes back to one Linus Torvalds, who decided to create a MINIX-like OS as a hobby. Where do you see Steve Jobs fitting into that? Or have I completely misunderstood what you were trying to say?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 02:25:43 pm »
Fred Shuttlesworth--an influential civil rights activist--died today as well.  I know he's not a celebrity, but I thought he should be mentioned as well.

Ah, they featured him at dKos yesterday. I had never even heard of him before that, or at least I didn't remember him. What an ordeal he and so many other people went through, just to get this country to the point where some people (not even all!) can have the luxury of not caring about the past.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2011, 03:30:27 pm »
I don't feel Steve Jobs contributed much to the betterment of society -- if anything he made society more materialistic than ever -- but he will forever have the utmost of my respect as a businessman and a salesman. Even the notoriously immature and opportunistic Steve Jobs of the 80s has my respect in that regard. The truth is that he knew how to spot the potential value in things and turn that potential into something real that he could sell, and boy did he know how to sell...

I only wish I would've had a chance to compete against such a guy, just as Bill Gates was able to.

Um, tushantin? Ubuntu's pedigree is well-known, and has absolutely nothing that I can see to do with Steve Jobs. A South African named Mark Shuttleworth created Ubuntu to make a buck by selling support services, a guy named Ian Murdock created its parent distro (Debian) because he wanted a Linux that followed certain policies, and it all ultimately goes back to one Linus Torvalds, who decided to create a MINIX-like OS as a hobby. Where do you see Steve Jobs fitting into that? Or have I completely misunderstood what you were trying to say?

Perhaps he's suggesting that the competition from Mac OS X in the UNIX world helped catalyze the advancement of even more user-friendly distributions like Ubuntu and even influenced their user interface design.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2011, 04:19:21 pm »
I think he's riffing off Zeality's anti-consumerism rant placing the blame primarily on Steve Jobs when really it's Apple, not Steve. And really really, it's also Windows and every company other than Google making android phones and every other company, because they're companies and want money. So that connects with Ubuntu, tushantin's OS of choice which is free (even though the support isn't) though it is quite tangential, it connected with the discussion, if not the topic.

But Alfador is right, if you're gonna promote Linux in general against Microsoft and Apple, you shouldn't just call out one build/flavor, but the whole spectrum of taste offered. Back on topic?

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2011, 06:39:28 pm »

But Alfador is right, if you're gonna promote Linux in general against Microsoft and Apple, you shouldn't just call out one build/flavor, but the whole spectrum of taste offered. Back on topic?
XD First of all, I wasn't promoting Linux in general, and by "Hello Ubuntu" I purposely put it in brackets because it was an example of the perfection in GUI that was indirectly influenced by the Apple-craze (and also because it's my OS of choice, duh!). If I said, "Hello Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Red Hat, Slackware, Arch-Linux, etc." that'd sound weird... By merely implying "Ubuntu" I was actually hoping to people to realize that it includes every other distro, since Ubuntu is based on Debian is based on Linux, which is contained in every other distro, yadda yadda.

Alfy, I won't deny that you know a whole lot more about Unix-based systems than a scared-of-the-command-line mook like me, but you mistook my point. I was talking about Job's influence, not his direct creations.

The guy was a true pioneer. Before his time, computers were only thing that mostly "hackers" and military folks dabbled with, and yeah... the command-line crap. It wasn't until Xerox (sometime after acquiring the Sigma mainframe computers) developed the first GUI computing that the potential exist, but even then the company didn't see sufficient sales opportunity. Then, guess who came into the picture? Steve Jobs; he took their technology, developed it, brought it out in the open and began the long line of modern Personal Computing legacy. That was the first greatest thing he gave to mankind, though it resulted out of greed or whatever: he made computer personal for the first time in human history, a tool that eventually brought about a new level of Information Age. Bill Gates, supported by Steve Balmer, was the next to follow his footsteps and gave things for cheaper prices than his predecessor.  Also, the community that Linux Torvalds, Ian Murdock, Mark Shuttleworth and all the other dedicated Linux developers followed was one that struggled to keep software "free" from proprietary clutches and free to share (my definition may be flawed here, but I'm sure you can correct me), but there's no surprise that even they eventually took the same lead as Gates and Jobs did.

Not to mention that Jobs was also quite an artist. He didn't just envision "beauty" on the looks alone, but how flawlessly it could work for people, and it was these methods that certain GUI environments decided to follow, such as Gnome (partially), Unity, and hell even Windows 7's new taskbar was inspired by the Macintosh Dock! Not to mention that the iPhone was the first to actually make smartphones "smart", immediately followed up by Android, which took the same lead. Unlike Microsoft, who mostly targeted towards business users, Jobs was wise enough to target commoners and used that psychology to help them finish tasks with lesser hassle (though obviously Apple would be more than happy to charge more for apparent superior services). Agreed, that Steve Jobs himself was never a philanthropist -- he was anything but -- though his ideals often rubbed off on an awesome bloke, Mark Shuttleworth, who also believed that (unlike previous Linux distros) a good, free OS should be geared towards commoners, and thus approached the same philosophy of simplicity as Jobs, but also mixed with human-connection and sharing. In this case, Ubuntu was the offspring when the ideals of Steve Jobs and Linux married.

The truth is that he knew how to spot the potential value in things and turn that potential into something real that he could sell, and boy did he know how to sell...
XDDD He sure did. Anywhos, I hope the above response of mine answers it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 06:51:36 pm by tushantin »

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2011, 07:49:40 pm »
Actually, IIRC, Jobs stole the idea for the GUI from Xerox Palo Alto (and then Microsoft stole it from him, which I suppose could be considered karma).

Part of the problem here may be that I don't consider most of Apple's work in the user-interface field to be progress, although I acknowledge that my command-line-loving self is in the minority here. :lol: I'm so far outside Apple's target demographic it isn't even funny.

You're also getting a bit of carried-over annoyance against Ubuntu users who seem to be unaware that there are other Linux distributions, or what the differences between them are. Sorry 'bout that.

Perhaps more to the point, I think most of the progress in Linux as a desktop operating system was a reaction against Windows, back in the days when MacOS was a non-contender (Gnome is several years older than OSX, and KDE is older than Gnome). I don't think Ubuntu was the first Linux to attempt to be user-friendly, either--my guess is that that would be SUSE, which was always very popular in Europe (but never seems to have gained much of a mindshare in the rest of the world).

</USELESS_INFORMATION> All I've really done here, of course, is prove that I'm a pedant. ;P Back to your regularly-scheduled thread now. Nothing to see here...

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 03:59:46 am »
Actually, IIRC, Jobs stole the idea for the GUI from Xerox Palo Alto (and then Microsoft stole it from him, which I suppose could be considered karma).
*shrugs* Well, I never said he was a saint, did I? Nevertheless, every actions have positives, and his shenanigans changed the world for the better.  :lol: I think I can be clear on was that he indeed matured towards being a good person. Not benevolent, agreed, but good still.

Part of the problem here may be that I don't consider most of Apple's work in the user-interface field to be progress, although I acknowledge that my command-line-loving self is in the minority here. :lol: I'm so far outside Apple's target demographic it isn't even funny.
Yeah, but it was still the best alternative for those who cared towards productivity (especially in Art field), and was also quite distraction-free. That said, I'm pretty sure Jobs cared more on aesthetics than development, because he believed that people wouldn't care much for a product if it didn't appeal to them first (and he was right, kinda). Of course, your annoyance is understandable, and Linus did say that Mac's filesystem is shit.  :lol:

You're also getting a bit of carried-over annoyance against Ubuntu users who seem to be unaware that there are other Linux distributions, or what the differences between them are. Sorry 'bout that.
No probs! I'm actually thankful for other distributions that brought about powerful environments and tools that can easily ported over. The reason I prefer Ubuntu and nothing else because, hell, I'm an artist, not a developer.  :(

Perhaps more to the point, I think most of the progress in Linux as a desktop operating system was a reaction against Windows, back in the days when MacOS was a non-contender (Gnome is several years older than OSX, and KDE is older than Gnome). I don't think Ubuntu was the first Linux to attempt to be user-friendly, either--my guess is that that would be SUSE, which was always very popular in Europe (but never seems to have gained much of a mindshare in the rest of the world).
Yeah. The first Linux distro I ever heard about was Novell's SUSE -- it was ages ago when I still didn't know much about computers, where they introduced Windows, Mac and Linux (SUSE) in a newspaper once, and I was under the impression that Novell created Linux and that it was still quite inferior to Microsoft. Hah, if I'd only known!

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2011, 11:12:35 am »
Not much of a celebrity, but certainly one of the most important people in human history. This time it's Dennis Ritchie.

Quote from: Blog
One of modern computing’s most important founders has died.

Dennis Ritchie passed away on the 8th of October aged 70. Ritche was instrumental in the creation of both the Unix operating system and the C programming language.

The importance of the Unix operating system in particular is lost on many of us but its influence has been profound: Without Unix there would have been no Linux; the open-source movement from which most of us benefit today was borne from its creation; and the worlds second most popular home operating system Mac OS X is Unix-based.

It’s an understatement to say that most of the technology we use today was borne from the tools he helped to create, shape and build: he helped to craft the world we live in.

So here’s to you Dennis Ritchie: we stand upon your shoulders.

Check the comments on that page. Sucks, doesn't it?