Author Topic: Fuck Sexism  (Read 98397 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Fuck Sexism
« Reply #840 on: January 02, 2010, 08:34:48 pm »
Composed this for /feminisms/, so cross-posting:

Reflections on Becoming a Feminist

Growing up, I was never too idealistic or altruistic a person. I fell into my parents' religion, didn't care much about politics or the world at large, and was casually sexist. (For example, joking with several friends about PMS and that women talk too much, accepting some of the sexist tenets of the Christian religion, including that canard about "virtuous" women being harder to find than virtuous men, and so on.)

Thankfully, I kept learning, having new experiences, and making better friends. With time, I've lost my religion, gained a more open mind, and become politically literate, socially aware, and actively committed to humanist ideals and improving the world. If ignorance is evil, then I've wanted to help fix what I perceive to be two of the world's greatest ignorances and evils: religious belief and sexism, including male privilege. Religion is the far easier of the two evils, as sexism is ingrained in absolutely every part of civilization. Toward the activist end, this year, I've read a few books (and listed several more to tackle), spoken with several women's rights activists, and participated in my university's graduate women's studies program to learn more about the state of "feminism" today. This piece is a reflection about what feminism's come to mean to me.

This subreddit is called "feminisms" for a reason—because many people, male and female, fight for women's rights for varying reasons and in varying ways, across different cultures, religions, societies, economies, and countries. My own "personal feminism" is an activist response to sexism, based upon the ideal that people should be free to pursue opportunities and behavior free of restrictions, privileges, and expectations built on sex and gender. I've found that at the highest levels of feminist organizing and networks, this equality message is basically the same. However, go down a notch to national, state, and local levels across the world, and women's rights advocacy groups become very different and unique.

A group organized to resist sweatshops may be comprised mostly of women (as sweatshop labor pools are), and have nothing about idealistic humanity or gendered privilege in its mission statement. But it still qualifies as a women's rights/feminist group. After all, sweatshop labor pools are female because they're infamously easier to control and coerce; this is sexist. Likewise, a group of Islamic women resisting hijab or wife sequestering may have nothing to do with secular humanism, nor have a scope inclusive of problems faced in other religions. Nonetheless, sequestering and hijab are sexist conventions, and these Islamic women resisting them are feminists. They're fighting for women's rights against patriarchal institutions and oppression. The same goes for Indian groups addressing poverty (for a few reasons, the majority of impoverished people are female), or European groups working on domestic servant abuse.

The need for cooperation is clear, but the variety of causes makes pegging them and the definition of feminism/women's rights advocacy to some universal, high standard difficult. I've learned (though I need to read more on the subject) that there's historically been a lot of friction between "first" and "third" world advocacy groups over the disparity of their aims and perceived problems in society. But I've also watched documentaries on the 1995 Fourth World Conference in Beijing and read about the issues defined and what I saw was a mass of people from every background conceivable mingling with euphoria and encouragement. The goodwill towards one another was palpable, and it made international cooperation and sisterhood seem possible. Now that stonewaller Jesse Helms is gone, perhaps CEDAW even has a chance for ratification.

After learning about international organization and feminist networks, I feel as if there's so much incredible potential in women's rights activism. A universal problem like sexism is certainly capable of eliciting universal organization and response. Confronting economic, religious, and social problems has already enabled many people to transcend restrictive barriers and work together. This is especially necessary now that globalization of business is intertwining the economic and social fates of the world's national constituents. But there's something deeper, too—a truly human kind of organizing. These disparate activists are capable of respecting differences of language and culture while seeking common solutions and productive discourses for problems of sexism and privilege. This interaction promotes understanding and communication, while facilitating the emergence of the most meritorious ideas about economic, governmental, and social issues.

Compare the spirit of this with the recent Copenhagen climate change meetings, filled with suspicions and failures. Granted, Beijing was a meeting of activists, and Copenhagen a meeting of leaders (though, on second thought, this isn't very flattering to leaders, is it?). Humanism invokes the image of the international citizen; the appeal to the fundamental, indivisible human being; the focus on rationality, transcending prejudices and superstitions; the organization around human rights and the value of sentience—is it not there, among the enlivened, optimistic feminists of the Beijing conference? Is the potential not there for international organizing and a confluence of goals towards the eradication of sexism and oppression?

It certainly is. Because of its size and roots, sexism will likely be the last great problem tackled as humanity becomes better than it once was. And feminism will likely be the organizing rally that proves humanity's greatest unification on the road to an illuminated future. It starts here, whether by tackling reproductive rights, commercial and media sexism, the feminization of labor and poverty, or any other problem of sexual and gendered oppression. By being a feminist, I'm hoping to accomplish a lot by working to alleviate the deep ills caused by sexism—but what really excites me is this potential for future organization and humanist idealism. Sexual and gendered oppression bring down all of humanity, and are something all of humanity can get together to address.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: January 07, 2010, 12:36:24 am »
I was pissed today, and my anger can easily be traced back to this wretched seed of sexism embedded in humanity's heart.

For Christmas, my girlfriend received this very cute, black leather jacket from a family member. I had seen her wearing it a lot during the Christmas break, so I knew she thoroughly enjoyed wearing it. She wore it to school today, along with a pretty blue skirt over black pants. To me, I thought she looked gorgeous. But apparently to some asshole at the school who felt the need to say this directly to her, my girlfriend looked like a slut.

Thus I became pissed, and my girlfriend was severely upset. To make matters worse, she told me that she was wondering why women are called sluts for wearing leather jackets, while men receive high-fives for being assholes to women.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: January 07, 2010, 01:24:17 am »
=(

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: January 07, 2010, 01:48:59 pm »
What can someone do in a situation like that? Reporting it will probably get one nowhere since it's just hearsay.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: January 07, 2010, 05:51:42 pm »
I say that is a justified time to kick his ass after something like that.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: January 08, 2010, 12:30:14 am »
I unfortunately wasn't there at the time. Sigh.

Still. The guy should not have called her that...

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: January 08, 2010, 02:11:51 pm »
Who cares what some asshole thinks? Maybe I'm different from other people, but I was never really offended by name calling or shit people said.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: January 08, 2010, 02:17:00 pm »
I seem to recall you being offended quite recently, right here at the Compendium, in a now-deleted post, by something somebody said to you that amounted to criticism.

Jutty

• View Profile
« Reply #848 on: January 09, 2010, 12:33:50 am »
I don't recall. I normally just open fire verbally right back at someone. I don't take anything to heart and I'm sure not going to allow something said to me on a message board upset me. I'm not saying I've never flamed anyone or been in arguments. I'm just saying I couldn't care less what most people think.

Edit: But what was the situation? Or post about? If it was the typical american thing I'm pretty much used to getting hated on by everyone outside the country. I deleted my post because I thought calling him a fag was a bit harsh and immature.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 12:42:30 am by Jutty »

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: January 09, 2010, 11:37:52 am »
I'm just saying I couldn't care less what most people think.

Is it not this kind of thinking that is deconstructive to the feminist cause, along with many others?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: January 09, 2010, 02:01:54 pm »
http://womensrights.change.org/blog/view/buddhist_monks_freak_out_over_female_ordination

Real Buddhism (not western cherrypicking new age spiritualism) is rigid, dogmatic, and sexist! Who knew? For centuries, Buddhists have kept women out of the clergy and reinforced sexism via the social order, and now, an ordained female monk is causing a big fucking noise. Fucking anti-spiral self-hating jackass Buddhists. Abrahamic clergy always claim some kind of authority and prestige, but even more insidious is this idea in the West that Buddhist monks and practitioners are enlightened, special thinkers and gentle, non-violent paragons and saints of humanity, and it's all because they gave up on getting the things they want in life and decided to sit around meditating and starving. What a giant waste of potential and life.

Fuck all religion, superstition, and supernatural faith. Die the motherfucking death.

Edit: The comment at that article is fucking glorious:

What? Patriarchy in a Buddhist culture? But but...I thought Buddhist countries were havens of peace, tolerance, equality, veganism, and all the things good and pure. What next? Will we learn that Buddhist cultures have been historically just as socially harsh as European ones? That they too have waged bloody wars in the name of ideologies?  I guess I can't rely on the self-help industry to teach me about human history, religion and culture anymore :(  Now where do I turn? Can I ever do yoga again? Will I ever be able to consume processed Buddhism again without my modern western sensitivities remembering this offense?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 02:10:00 pm by ZeaLitY »

Jutty

• View Profile
« Reply #851 on: January 09, 2010, 10:47:20 pm »
I'm just saying I couldn't care less what most people think.

Is it not this kind of thinking that is deconstructive to the feminist cause, along with many others?

Yes my lack of caring what people think about me is setting back the feminist cause...

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: January 10, 2010, 02:37:22 pm »
Angry Mouse, who to my great pleasure has recently been promoted to the Front Page, makes a good point in this article:
http://dailykos.com/storyonly/2010/1/10/822892/-Feminism-Fail

Explicitly, she points out that our national feminist organizations are not very effective. I don't think it's for lack of enthusiasm; they just don't have a winning strategy.

So: What would a "winning strategy" entail?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: January 10, 2010, 03:11:55 pm »
Well, we know at least that the feminist movement has worked for some portion of us; some particular aspect of it has touched each of us who identify as feminists, and inspired our participation.

However, that "something" might be different for each of us. For ZeaLitY, I think it was learning that one of his friends had been subjected to a particularly ugly event rooted in sexism, if I remember correctly; in my case, exposure to feminist-positive media at an early age helped lay the foundation for my current attitudes. Learning about certain horrific events in Sajainta's life has touched us all, I think, and probably helped spark the urgency we've felt with regard to this cause recently. There's no time to sit back; we feminists have to strike out now. The question is how, and what actions will be most effective.

My theory on feminist action, for what it's worth, is to make use of those things that worked on us to begin with, and replicate those. ZeaLitY knows that learning about the ugliness of rape will have an impact on at least some people, because it had an impact on him; I know feminist-positive media will have an impact on at least some people, because it had an impact on me; and so on and so forth.

The drawback to this may be lack of strengthening network effects and decentralization of efforts. But is it truly a drawback? I'm not entirely sure. It's my suspicion that most people who deride feminism view it as if it were still in rigid, Second Wave, semi-centralized Andrea Dworkin/Betty Friedan mode.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 03:17:03 pm by FaustWolf »

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #854 on: January 11, 2010, 06:52:05 pm »
In wake of the release of Bayonetta, I've been having some interesting discussions with my girlfriend and a friend of ours on the topic of the portrayal of women in games. In a video we watched, the point was made that all protagonist characters in video games are idealized forms, male or female.

The first flaw that came to mind with this view is that the idealized male form (as seen in games) is one of greater functionality. More muscle means more strength, means more tasks are possible to the character. With female characters? Not so much. Rarely are female game characters designed in such a way that their physique would imply above average physical capabilities.

It didn't take me long to figure out the root of that issue: Both of these notions of idealized form are male notions of idealized form. It's what a man wants to see in men and women. It also came up in discussion that the Final Fantasy series of games seems to have male characters which are more appealing to women than the hulking action movie hero types found in many games.

In my professional experience, I have worked with one female designer, and she was a level designer; due to that and a couple other factors, not in a position to meaningfully effect character design. I wonder if having more female designers in games would help with this issue, as the conventional wisdom seems to assert. I'm also curious for an opinion from any female members who'd care to comment; can you think of any female game characters who are an idealized form based on what you would consider an idealized female form?