Author Topic: Fuck Sexism  (Read 98500 times)

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2009, 01:54:03 am »
This is, in fact, exactly what I'd feared - that I get painted with a villain's brush and set into politically charged categories like being a sexist.

Don't worry, we all do here.  You know, how Z takes his political and anti-religious frustrations out on me.  *shrug* happens all the time.

I know when something is hopeless, and this situation truly is.

You're exactly right.  Any sort of political debate on these boards, or any debate other than those on CT, is hopeless.  Both sides are just too damn stubborn.

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2009, 01:58:33 am »
Ya, he writes a lot. I've still gotta sort my way through it all, heh.

Was there anyone that demanded killing to make sure of their own rightness? I don't think there are many that would go that far.

And I've stepped into a minefield. >_<

Oh well, I guess I'll nail my coffin now and get it over with.

I'm not as extreme as Zeality on atheistic belief, but I know there are far more hateful people in the world than many of us are willing to admit. The killer(s) behind that abortion doctor is, sadly, the only example I can think of on the top of my head.

But the real monsters, in my opinion are the ones who don't demand. They just do.

I know I have no proof, but... it's just a gut feeling that I have.

It may be due to the fact that I don't have that much faith in people to begin with.

Pessimism sucks. >_<

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2009, 12:25:34 pm »
I'm not as extreme as Zeality on atheistic belief

Haha @ atheistic "belief".

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2009, 02:24:07 pm »
I'm not as extreme as Zeality on atheistic belief

No offense meant here Z, and coming from a fellow atheist, we have still yet to find solid, decisive proof that there is not a higher deity, just as much as the religious have yet to find proof that the world did not originate the way we think it did. Hence, this is a belief. Not a religious or theistic one, mind you, but it is something we believe because there has been enough evidence supplied, yet no decisive proof.

I suggest you remain open-minded and admit that there are flaws in any kind of belief system.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2009, 02:42:03 pm »
There are flaws in every belief system, theistic or atheistic. The big flaw they all share? They all show how the universe "began", but nothing can go back farther than that. Most theists believe that God created the universe. But, where did God come from? Atheists believe the Big Bang was the start of the universe. But, where did all the matter for that come from? Was there another universe before hours that eventually compressed small enough that it exploded? Will our universe do that too?

Yes, looking towards the very beginning is fascinating, but it doesn't help us get anywhere. If God created the universe, how does that help us build a better future for ourselves? If the universe exploded out of a single super massive point of matter, how does that help us improve life on earth? Every now and then the "yeah, but what happened BEFORE that" question pops into my head, and it always gives me a headache. It makes more sense to look to the future instead of trying to answer something that can't be answered.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2009, 02:45:42 pm »
Atheists believe the Big Bang was the start of the universe. But, where did all the matter for that come from? Was there another universe before hours that eventually compressed small enough that it exploded? Will our universe do that too?

It was our universe, and it will do it again. No matter came from anything, it is the same matter you see here today, just compressed. We can speculate that our universe has done this before many times, and we're just another part of the cycle.

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2009, 02:48:10 pm »

*Steps on mine*

*BOOM*

And this is why I keep my damn mouth shut, because I word things wrong... >_<

I think Z got what I meant, though. :p

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2009, 02:52:56 pm »
Hmm, I'm still unsettled by the result of the argument between Krispin and Zelbess, because I think they've both brought up main ideas that appear conflicting yet could be resolved quite easily if we simply clarify one assumption.

Zelbess' assumption is that sexuality is as integral a part of human nature as eating and drinking. Krispin's assumption is that sexuality automatically entails a chance of pregnancy, and extrapolating from that, a couple who do not wish to risk creating and destroying human potential should abstain from sex completely. The conflict is, asking people to forego an integral part of human nature entirely can be seen as an inhumane expectation.

However, already at this starting point, the debate has been tainted by centuries of androcentric views of sexuality that continue to infest our sex education classes and pop culture. What I refer to, of course, is the fetishization of penetrative sex. Why, when the entire human body is a sexual organ, do we continue to focus on such a small portion of it?

Might we not reconcile the argument at hand by allowing the hypothetical couple to engage in sexual behavior that involves no penetration, and therefore no chance of pregnancy? Bear in mind, scientists are starting to believe that the evolutionary purpose of the female orgasm has been to bond women to creative partners, ones who show capacity for caring and communication.

C'mon, we're human beings here. We've got brains, and therefore we should be able to figure out a way to have our cake and eat it too, with a little self control. Asking the male partner to forego a single sex act out of many possible ways to fulfill sexual potential certainly is justified by the fact that it prevents the possibility of creating "unwanted" life "by mistake" (for those amongst us who are pro-life), and I feel it is also certainly justified by the fact that it prevents the possibility of induced uterine dilation, a ton of bleeding, and chance of infection (for those amongst us who are pro-choice).

Western sex ed systems have done wonders in educating us in various forms of barrier protection (still important for prevention of STDs even in a variety of non-penetrative sex acts), but there is still a huge amount of injustice in the fact that they tacitly continue to promote an androcentric view of sexuality. And it is to the detriment of us all. It is probably in the bedroom that the remnant of androcentric oppression rears its ugly head most in western society.

Oh my, that last sentence could be seen as double entendre. Shame on me. I certainly don't want to present myself as a misandrist either, but I feel that androcentrism and misandry are one and the same in the final analysis, for degrading the human potential of men just as much as it oppresses women.

EDIT: Alfadorredux, I am one of those who presented vasectomies as if they were failsafe earlier, and you're correct. Looks like the success rate of a vasectomy isn't all that much better than a condom based on the data available, maybe moving the decimal point over a bit. Still, that shouldn't be good enough for a true pro-lifer/pro-choicer, both of which share an interest in a 100% pregnancy prevention rate and therefore should see eye to eye in the end. We should be pushing for reengineering both of sexual mores and the human body if the goal will ever be achieved.

Moving on...
Quote from: Zephira
If God created the universe, how does that help us build a better future for ourselves? If the universe exploded out of a single super massive point of matter, how does that help us improve life on earth?
Even barring the theological concerns and the motivations behind them for now, knowing our origins could be hugely important given a few millennia, or maybe a few thousand millennia. If the universe is in a constant cycle of expansion and contraction, we need to know this so that we can somehow escape the contractionary phase and thus preserve human civilization indefinitely. The sun's origins have little to do with our advancement right now either, but investigation has already shown us that we will have to escape the bonds of this solar system in a few hundred million years. Er, however long it's going to be before our sun goes all Sephiroth on us.

Hey, if Chrono fans got together and actually successfully completed a large-scale fan project, preventing the contraction of the universe must be a small feat, right? :grimm
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 05:29:38 pm by FaustWolf »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2009, 05:32:30 pm »
This anti-abortion mentality is why we have so many large, poor families. Yeah, kids are nice. Yeah, life is nice. But knowingly bringing a child into a poor existence is just cruel.

I would have to argue that you have misdiagnosed the cause; if that were true then one would expect the number of large, poor families to have decreased over the last 50ish years as abortion has become more socially acceptable (not that it is now socially acceptable, but it is certainly more so). Education and economic status are more indicative; uneducated, poor individuals tend to have larger families. Educated, financially stable individuals don’t necessarily have more abortions than less educated, poor individuals; they have fewer pregnancies. Perhaps they are less likely to be taken in by the various urban myths of teenage contraceptives, such as douching with coke or that you can’t get knocked up if it’s your first time. Or perhaps having multiple children fulfills the old purpose of a retirement program. I am not widely versed in such areas and so my commentary on it must necessarily be limited.

Religion certainly isn't a stalwart in this regard either. While a number of Christian denominations/sects are fine with birth control, even if they are pro-life, not all are. Catholics, being well represented among Mexican immigrants (the first generation of which tend to be economically ill-off) and others, aren't just pro-life, they're anti-birth control. The use of a condom, pill, or surgery is a violation of tradition. As such, Catholics are more likely to have large families. To be anecdotal for a moment, a friend of my wife’s family is Catholic and had to specifically request permission from the Church to get a vasectomy, as his wife’s health was in danger if she became pregnant again (I believe they have either 7 or 11 children). He now takes flack from other Catholics who believe that such a dispensation should not have been granted.

Society in general isn’t much better as it generally endorses the concept that men can sex-and-run, that pregnancy is a female-only issue (indeed, that there is such a thing as female-only issues; it is generally expected that men are supposed to be grossed out by a woman’s period and menstrual fluid… a trait in no way unique to modern times, mind you; if I recall correctly, Hypatia of Alexandria once used a used menstrual cloth to scare away an unwanted suitor). It is curious that society has separated sex, intimacy, and responsibility.

I'm sure that kid would be real happy to know that you gave him away and he has no family.

While I certainly could be wrong, I'd suspect most people would rather be alive than not. Thus, I suspect that even most orphans would rather be orphans than to have never existed.

Denying abortion is blatantly sexist.

Ah, if only it were blatantly sexist, then things would be so much easier, but it is not (at least, not from an internal perspective). Calling someone a bigot is an insult and even people engaged in racist or sexist behavior will deny the claim; near no one willingly takes on such a title. Because of this, pointing out behaviors that are sexist or racist in a person can be an effective tool for motivating change. Very few people want to be engaged in behaviors that they believe are sexist or racist. The problem comes in making them realize those behaviors are sexist or racist. If denying abortion is blatantly sexist, then it would be much easier to convince those who are against it to change their mind; one could point to the obvious and leave Jimmy Cricket to do the mop-up.

Remember, no one thinks of themselves as a villain. No matter how wrong someone might seem, they have reasons for what they believe. You might disagree with those reasons, you might find their reasoning to be flawed, but it is there nonetheless. There is little hope of being able to convince someone to change their ways unless you can understand why they hold to those ways in the first place. And, once you truly understand them, there is that terrifying moment in which you realize that it would have been a simple thing for you to have believed in them yourself. Generally, what separates us from those that we hate is a random chance of birth.

An inherently sexist attitude is revealed in this one line. "Irresponsible teenager" - singular. Last time I checked, women don't get pregnant on their own.

Women do get abortions on their own, however. It seems that there is a disconnect somewhere along the line; both sides drop men from the equation. Is it better to drop them from one side than the other?

You know, I've been watching this discussion for a couple of iterations now, and what bugs me is that most of the people posting here (not all, but most) seem to assume that birth control is 100% effective. Guess what?

That's because from the extremes of both perspectives (which is where people generally argue from), it is irrelevant. If abortion is fundamentally wrong, then it doesn't matter if you were taking preventatives. And if abortion is right, then it likewise doesn't matter if you were taking preventatives. There is no A for Effort, as it were. It is sort of like getting a speeding ticket then claiming that you should get out of it because you were using a radar detector.

One has to first admit that, if it is reasonable, abortion should be avoided, before allowing that birth control is an important factor. And, if in certain circumstances it should be avoided, then we’re quibbling over what is reasonable. Extremists on both sides would hate such a stance since it moves towards the middle.

I would NOT sacrifice my life and everything I've worked for because of some stupid mistake.

It is terribly interesting that this just happens to be one of the few areas in life in which people can reverse stupid mistakes. I wonder if people cling to it because it offers a degree of control in an otherwise chaotic world, and likewise if people reject it because that control isn't universal.

People ruin their lives because of stupid mistakes all the time. Here we have a chance to undo such a stupid mistake. It is a curious situation that isn't duplicated in many other places in life; one should expect that people would be unsure of how to handle it. Other stupid mistakes, if reversible, tend to take a heroic level of effort. There are, of course, stupid mistakes that aren’t reversible. The abortion issue is, ironically, treading virgin territory.

If my dog gets pregnant, is it cool with everyone that I have the puppies aborted?

But... puppies...

Seriously, I didn't know there were methods to cause dogs to abort. Makes a degree of sense, I suppose. I guess my answer would be that it depends; you should first make all due attempts to find these potential puppies homes before they are born. If you cannot, and you are unable to care for them, then an abortion might be the proper course of action, though certainly not something that is commendable or ideal (after all, a responsible owner should have their pets spayed and neutered, so this really should be a non-issue in an ideal world).

I played a role in that, by showing people more coherent ideas than what they were accustomed to. Oh, I suspect you and I would disagree as to whether it was the merit of my ideas or the strength of my rhetoric that won the day, but from my point of view it isn't even close. You've always been capable of equaling me in endurance and eloquence, and your appeals to antiquity I cannot match, but I don't know of anyone on these forums who ended up evolving in your direction.

To be fair, if someone did evolve towards Daniel’s way of thinking, they may have also learned in the process not to show it around you. You can be rather ruthless, when you want to be, and not everyone has Daniel’s (or your) endurance.

What do you suppose Thought would think of me if I went up to his wife, in his presence, and called her a fat, ugly whore to her face? What do you suppose he would do? Would he say “Let's debate this maturely?” No...of all the things he might say, I think that's not one of them.

(And Thought, if you're reading, I only concocted that example because your Mario-mustachioed wife is quite attractive and seems like an awesome person. Please don't kill me...)

Hmm... that is a very interesting question, from an introspective perspective. What would I do? I’d of course be angry, but would that anger overcome my natural passive-aggressiveness and the social-enforced aversion to violence? And of course would any violence on my part be successful? Honestly, there is a good chance that they wouldn’t be, and while allowing you to insult my wife is unacceptable, so too is failing to beat the crap out of you.

But all that aside, I'm fairly sure I know what my wife would do. So me not killing you may be the crueler of your options. Be warned: the short ones are the most violent.

However, your statement does contain several topics that, if presented in an non-insulting manner, I would love to debate. For example, I find it rather bigoted that “fat” is used as an insult, and I’d generally argue that apply the label “ugly” to any woman is sexist. I could also debate the use of “whore,” but that is a topic that gets more face-time anywho.

There's a word for “rape,” but there is not yet a word for forced birth. Maybe we need one.

I feel bad for thinking this, but that seems like an awesome premise for a work of fiction. Sort of reminds me Gateway to Women's Country.

Whenever in all that I said did I advocate that men should be treated differently, hm? I have always maintained that equality, in fact added that if it were me, I would take that responsability instead of a wife or a girlfriend, showing that I do not even think that child-rearing unique to the mother.

The sentiments expressed there really needed to be hear-heared. Abortion debates often touch on this subject but seem to always skitter away from it quite quickly. Social conceptions regarding men's roles in sex, pregnancy, abortion, and child rearing need urgent attention. Admittedly, since men are the focus of so much is almost seems unfair for them to get attention in an abortion discussion as well, but it is necessary. It is unfair to say that women should abstain from sex and hold pregnancy as consequence without a similar situation for men. True, men have many advantages in society, but social expectations that require us to be good men are not one of those; indeed, it is so easy for us to be scum and get away with it. It shouldn't even enter a guy’s mind that it is acceptable to run and leave a woman with children; if men lack a physical uterus that ties them to an unborn child, then there needs to be a "social uterus" that ties them just as absolutely. This is not a comment on women (except, I suppose, insofar as that women should require better of the men in their lives), but rather a comment that men need to, well, man-up.

Zelbess' assumption is that sexuality is as integral a part of human nature as eating and drinking. Krispin's assumption is that sexuality automatically entails a chance of pregnancy, and extrapolating from that, a couple who do not wish to risk creating and destroying human potential should abstain from sex completely. The conflict is, asking people to forego an integral part of human nature entirely can be seen as an inhumane expectation.

Might I suggest moderation? Certainly, one who eats must accept the possibility that the consumed calories will be digested and used for energy and if that energy is not expended, it will be converted to fat. Furthermore, when one eats one also ingests hormones, minerals, and other organic elements that can have good or bad effects on them. A fine steak cooked medium rare is a wonderful dish, but one ought not eat it without realizing that there is a health risk associated to eating "undercooked" meats. One must thus eat responsibly, avoiding over consumption so as not to become fat, and avoiding food that can have undesirable consequences unless one is willing to accept those consequences.

The pro-choice side of the debate unfortunately dances rather close to the glutinous side regarding sex; stomach for food and food for the stomach!

The pro-life side of the debate unfortunately dances rather close to the ruthless side regarding consequences; you ate undercook meat and now you're sick? Bah, no medical treatment for you, you should have known better!

As one should expect from me, my stance on the issue is middle-ground. One might well say that I am both pro-choice and pro-life. On one hand, abortions should be readily available to women (with a few, extreme-case laws to protect against potential abuses but which do not impede the majority of women). But on the other hand, there should be very few abortions. Not because there are laws preventing them, but because the right to choose is a right that few women need to exercise. I’d much rather we live in a world where no woman ever became pregnant who did not want to be pregnant; thus I believe we should work towards such a word. Pro-lifers should defeat abortion by eliminating (or reducing) the number of rapists in society, by expanding sex-education so that birth control is effective and implemented. And pro-choicers should defeat anti-abortionists by ensuring that abortion is a spotless process; if problems arise, it should be the pro-choice crowd that brings them to light and addresses them.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2009, 06:33:48 pm »
C'mon, we're human beings here. We've got brains, and therefore we should be able to figure out a way to have our cake and eat it too, with a little self control. Asking the male partner to forego a single sex act out of many possible ways to fulfill sexual potential certainly is justified by the fact that it prevents the possibility of creating "unwanted" life "by mistake" (for those amongst us who are pro-life), and I feel it is also certainly justified by the fact that it prevents the possibility of induced uterine dilation, a ton of bleeding, and chance of infection (for those amongst us who are pro-choice).

This is still backing up and making sex the problem, when the issue at stake is abortion. And abortion should be debated from a scientific, humanist standpoint, because religious perspectives are inherently flawed and illogical and shouldn't be respected or taken seriously. They're card houses built on irrational premises and assumptions, like the receiving of souls by the body or what "the bibble" (an incredibly contradictory and fallible book) seems to say on the subject. It's possible to discuss the nature of a fetus as a human being without bringing God into the equation.

Quote from: Zephira
If God created the universe, how does that help us build a better future for ourselves? If the universe exploded out of a single super massive point of matter, how does that help us improve life on earth?
Even barring the theological concerns and the motivations behind them for now, knowing our origins could be hugely important given a few millennia, or maybe a few thousand millennia. If the universe is in a constant cycle of expansion and contraction, we need to know this so that we can somehow escape the contractionary phase and thus preserve human civilization indefinitely. The sun's origins have little to do with our advancement right now either, but investigation has already shown us that we will have to escape the bonds of this solar system in a few hundred million years. Er, however long it's going to be before our sun goes all Sephiroth on us.

A strong point of humanism is that we can define our own purpose in life. We're not children of God, or pawns in a game, or anything like that. We're organisms born with the freedom and liberty to pursue our own meaning in life using our gifts of sentience and emotion. The sky's the limit! We can all dream as we wish and move humanity to a shining future, tearing a path through destiny for all the rest to follow through. Heavenly breakthrough, humanity!

Quote from: Thought
There is little hope of being able to convince someone to change their ways unless you can understand why they hold to those ways in the first place.

Hey, we can argue for the edification of the audience if not for the conversion of the other party. I'd do the latter if I were in a scientific debate or something else that didn't involve religion, because then rationality and fact would make one of the parties' positions untenable. But as long as we've got sky gods, miracles, and the f-word (faith) in the mix, well, a logical argument might as well be useless to convert the opposition.

Zelbess

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2009, 06:36:09 pm »
@Thought, Faust: As I said earlier, I will not be participating in any continuation of this debate. So, don't expect any replies from me. :P I will comment on the hilarious irony though, that I, an aromantic asexual, staunchly defend sexual freedom, haha.

In recent frustrations, two huge bruises on both of my knees, complete with petechiae! I just woke up and they were there. Yowch! :(
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 07:28:13 pm by Zelbess »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2009, 07:54:31 pm »
@Thought, Faust: As I said earlier, I will not be participating in any continuation of this debate. So, don't expect any replies from me. :P I will comment on the hilarious irony though, that I, an aromantic asexual, staunchly defend sexual freedom, haha.

But you just replied! You've broken your word once, how can I trust it now? For all I know, you'll be posting when I'm not looking. Sorry, you'll have to earn my trust-that-you-wont-post all over again; I can't reasonably just take your word for it now.

Hey, we can argue for the edification of the audience if not for the conversion of the other party. I'd do the latter if I were in a scientific debate or something else that didn't involve religion, because then rationality and fact would make one of the parties' positions untenable. But as long as we've got sky gods, miracles, and the f-word (faith) in the mix, well, a logical argument might as well be useless to convert the opposition.

The audience should generally be one's target in a debate, true. They're the ones most likely to be swayed. But that shouldn't stop you from targeting your opposition.

I wouldn't have thought that there were boundaries to your passion, Z. That you'd settle for anything less than absolute victory. The future of humanity needs us to defeat all opponents, not just the easy ones. If one avenue of attack won’t work, find another.

Absolute victory, because anything less would be uncivilized.

Zelbess

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2009, 08:39:47 pm »
But you just replied! You've broken your word once, how can I trust it now? For all I know, you'll be posting when I'm not looking. Sorry, you'll have to earn my trust-that-you-wont-post all over again; I can't reasonably just take your word for it now.
I swear, I won't ever do it again! I can stop any time I want, I swear! :( I have self-control, let me prove myself, why can't you trust m- *gets dragged away by men in white coats*

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2009, 09:11:29 pm »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
This is still backing up and making sex the problem, when the issue at stake is abortion.
Normally I'd admit that I committed a logical error by needlessly broadening the topic of debate, but they're so inextricably linked that discussion of abortion necessitates some discussion of sexuality. And... uh...well, Krispin started it! 8)

But I'd wager that the very need for abortion in the majority of cases stems from androcentric sexual mores, whether the need results from rape or the kind of simple lack of imagination in the bedroom encouraged by western pop culture. I disagree with the typical conservative stance that abstinence is the only way to prevent pregnancy and, by extension, abortion; only abstinence from very specific sexual practices is needed to break the cause-and-effect chain Krispin proposed.

I think what I'm eventually getting at is that even pro-choicers don't glorify the act of abortion; I mean, do we? Do we hold abortion balls like ultraconservatives hold these chastity balls? There's good reason why we do not. I don't think any of us fail to acknowledge that abortion is not a pretty procedure in terms of risks to the woman undergoing it, or in cases of abortion of an advanced pregnancy, that a fetus with a functioning nervous system could feel pain during the procedure. Wikipedia has a great article on fetal pain, but it's mostly useful in revealing that an entirely inadequate amount of research seems to have been completed on the matter. It seems to me that an abortion is a solemn occasion any way you slice it, often arrived at after weighty cost-benefit analysis and emotional stress on the woman's part (in cases of abortion after consensual sex) or severe trauma on the woman's part (in cases or rape or other nonconsensual sex).

In light of the significant moral, emotional, and psychological questions surrounding abortion even within a legal and non-religious context, I find it far better to obviate the situation entirely. If we mean to promote as perfect a level of sexual equality as possible, then let's take it all the way baby, and build a society in which women are no longer subject to abortion risks solely to pleasure men in a way that is losing significance thanks to the sexual revolution's separation of lovemaking and procreation.

Something tells me men would get along just fine if we behaved more like lesbians in our intimate relations, and the benefits of such a social shift could be enormous in every respect except the minor boo-hoo men would suffer because a little less attention is being paid to the, ahem, strawberry shortcake than before. Haven't we also been suffering minor boo-hoos like slight losses in comparative social prestige and employment advantages for the cause of equity? It's time we suck it up and take it like men!

Wow, that...sort of became the kind of old fashioned 70s feminist rant I'm not even sure Lord J would approve of. But as Thought says, absolute victory...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 12:59:57 am by FaustWolf »

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2009, 02:21:32 am »
Quote from: IAmSerge
But if its just an irresponsible teenager who had an "accident", I don't give a shit and its your own damn fault.
An inherently sexist attitude is revealed in this one line. "Irresponsible teenager" - singular. Last time I checked, women don't get pregnant on their own.
Thank you, Zelbless, for pointing out the mistake I made when typing a post, for calling me sexist, and for completely misunderstanding the point of that sentance. *sigh&facepalm*

If you disagree with what's being said about something you said, go ahead and disagree. Is there really a need to be a sarcastic ass about it? And yes, I realize the irony of ME saying that to someone else...>_>
~V_Translanka

« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 08:03:47 am by V_Translanka »