Author Topic: Fuck Sexism  (Read 98425 times)

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Re: Fuck Sexism
« Reply #810 on: December 19, 2009, 04:04:37 pm »

I recently saw Peter Pan.  Lo and behold:

- All the Indians were women
- Some of the Lost Boys were Lost Girls
- A couple of the Pirates were women

And it was a play put on a community group with such high production design.  Wonder of wonders.

It's nice to know that the stage is opening itself up to expanded feminism in naturally-occurring male roles.

Actually, the role of Peter Pan himself has traditionally been played by women.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: December 19, 2009, 04:12:23 pm »
Actually, the role of Peter Pan himself has traditionally been played by women.

A double-edged sword, that is: It's a great opportunity for female actors, both career and amateur, to play a dramatic role outside the artistically narrow universe of "women" characters. However, the tradition of Female Pan is built on the sexist contention that adult females are comparable not only in appearance but in character to adolescent boys.

So it's one of those situations where the industry is so fucked up that one of the best ways to get ahead in a biased environment is to reaffirm another bias.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: December 19, 2009, 05:32:48 pm »
The feminisms subreddit now has OVER 3000 subscribers!

Next goal: OVER 9000

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #813 on: December 19, 2009, 06:14:13 pm »
FafniR and I are about to unload the day's catches, 10 articles. I think I saw a couple good new ones on Borderhouse/Images, so feel free to join in, FW.

:kamina A real dream never dies.

Edit: Hah, what a concerted effort today. Excellent show. It's a five-man team extravaganza!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 06:32:08 pm by ZeaLitY »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: December 23, 2009, 03:34:27 pm »
http://www.reddit.com/r/feminisms/comments/ahxov/ap_nominates_two_horses_for_female_athlete_of_the/ is getting unfairly buried, despite being a completely outrageous story.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: December 23, 2009, 04:13:39 pm »
Whoa, that's actually great news hidden in side a seemingly negative story. I actually with take the stance and support the list, an animal getting the nomination usually reserved for humans. That is progress right there, and in fact if it was on the male list most would have laughed and thought it was funny not insulting. How sexist.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: December 23, 2009, 04:45:18 pm »
Had the Female Athletes list been made up of all humans and the Male Athletes list been made up of a mixture of non-human animals and humans, I think that's also worth being up in arms about; too often are men presented as and expected to be "brutish" to begin with.

For me (and I accept my interpretation is "radical" from the perspective of others, even most feminists, probably), traditional patriarchy steals from men qualities that are human (e.g., caring, nurturing, social understanding), grafts these onto women disproportionately, and then subverts their importance by limiting the opportunities of those people onto which the human qualities have been disproportionately grafted. The animalic portrayal of men is something I could very easily get worked up over for my part, and I wouldn't be surprised if a number of Men's Rights advocates agreed: nurturing qualities are something they, too, probably feel the need to recapture. And this is all without even addressing what men of African descent might feel if their sports heroes were listed alongside animals by the Associated Press.

The ladies at Feministing might be concerned with the impression that women are animalized in a sense when social barriers guide women along life's course, hiding from them other opportunities just a race horse's blinders and its master's whip narrows its possible alternatives along the race track. This is still in addition to racial issues that arise when people start lumping together minority athletes and non-humans.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 05:09:57 pm by FaustWolf »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: December 23, 2009, 05:04:45 pm »
I think any advances in animal rights in this are nullified by equating female athletes with bred sport horses, and implying that the thousands of female athletes in the world aren't better enough athletes than a couple animals to make a list designed for humans (but male athletes are).

Still, I guess it's normal to expect that as far as news teams go, sports writers would be the most misogynist and brain-dead.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: December 23, 2009, 06:56:51 pm »
I submitted this on reddit, but I thought I would share it here.  Ugh.

Link.

KebreI

• View Profile
« Reply #819 on: December 24, 2009, 04:18:05 am »
I think any advances in animal rights in this are nullified by equating female athletes with bred sport horses, and implying that the thousands of female athletes in the world aren't better enough athletes than a couple animals to make a list designed for humans (but male athletes are).

Still, I guess it's normal to expect that as far as news teams go, sports writers would be the most misogynist and brain-dead.
That is such a humanist thing to say, even if there wasn't a male/female list it was just one mix the Horses would should still be on it. If you read about them you know why, race horses are limited to specific breeds and only male horses due too them being "better". Yet two female horses both one of which is, if I recall correctly an equivalent to a mutt, not only out preformed the rest but broke nearly even damn record as well. They deserve to be on the list, equating them them to people is an insult to people? How is that not bigoted?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: December 24, 2009, 10:13:27 am »
Because the list is intended for humans.

KebreI

• View Profile
« Reply #821 on: December 24, 2009, 05:00:14 pm »
At no time was it said that it was human only. In fact the list wasn't written buy some misogynist and brain-dead sports writer, its a generalization same line as "all blacks have big cocks", it was a large group of different and conflicting viewed writers across the nation with there own weighted list to compose it. So if a horse made its on its not some dumb ass Sport writer, that horse must have done something to earn the respect of the whole nation.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: December 24, 2009, 06:43:23 pm »
Here's a Reddit entry I think is particularly worth everyone's time. This is a kind of conversation I feel happens all too seldom within the Feminist movement. It's an opportunity to see where each individual is coming from, and what factors have shaped each individual's particular ideology.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 06:45:04 pm by FaustWolf »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: December 24, 2009, 06:45:31 pm »
I went and researched this, and it seems the horse Secretariat once did appear on a male list. I would still question the judgment of the Associated Press for appearing to denigrate female athletes of all sports by putting two horses in their top ten list. Horseracing is a male-dominated sport, with males breeding, owning, and jockeying the animals.

I would also question the value of storming into a thread devoted to women's rights and claiming (tenuously) that an article comparing women to horses is somehow sexist against men.

KebreI

• View Profile
« Reply #824 on: December 24, 2009, 09:21:15 pm »
I would also question the value of storming into a thread devoted to women's rights and claiming (tenuously) that an article comparing women to horses is somehow sexist against men.
Ah then either my intent was obvious enough or you just missed it. I don't think this is sexist at all, men or women. My stance in defending the horses was for such a pointless reason and in then end nothing came of it. Much like a very obnoxious sexism thread on a video game fan site. No difference.

[tangent]
Yea, it's harsh but I would just like to play devils advocate for this for a little while. The Compendium for the past few months has been getting farther and from a place I, and many other people, enjoy. The talks about the mechanics of dimensional and time travel, the new bits and pieces that I always was unaware of, all the new projects(and the dying ones too!). Sure they won't be around forever as less and less is left to talk about, which brings me to the double edged sword of the compendium. The alternate discussions about religion, science, social order all of which are great reads and fascinating to participate in. A few months ago it to a change that I haven't seen, they began out numbering the Mission Statement of the site, it became less of a game site and more of a means for friends to talk to each other. I am ballsy enough to even put the blame on a few people:

Sajainta and Zephira are two pretty little faces who are great people. I have even had the please of meeting Zephira at the PAX meet up(if only for a short period), and she was fun to hang out with. The problem is that they, both of them, have made quite a bit of progress turning this group of internet friends into a nice "ChronoCompendium Family" and more and more is there personal talk and recently gift giving. Fueled by support for a few key members they keep up this gig and soon they are everyone's sister and threads are filled with nothing but Lord J incessant flirting with Zephira and Sajainta constant outburst from her past.

ZeaLitY and Lord J Esq are both amazing people and if put in the right situations have the makings of even a leader. Not necessarily good ones. They are both strong believers in a better tomorrow, and they wanted it done yesterday. I support them on about 80% of they things they do and if they want to use the compendium well, it is theirs so go ahead. The thing is they are such jack asses about every single thing they say. That you agree or are insulted to a point of Taken-a-back-ness and with out proper oppisition the site has pretty much turned it to their cult of personality.

Danial Krispin and nightmare975 are two key players. They left quite some time ago, and I won't complain about that it was there choice and there reasons, but they were opponents to the leaders. they gave the compendium balance. If a society never questioned it direction it probably never went any where or its lost. So this wonderful gaming site was now lost in a non-stop talk about Feminism, Sexism, religion, and they run with out being in check.

Even so there isn't a growth of Chrono related threads to quell the rise and some blame does fall to Square-Enix for the lack of new life in the series. Not just Official games but due to them fan games are also nil-nonexistent here. Which is one of the reasons the Mission Statement been neglected so easily.
[/tangent]

Holy fuck that was quite an outburst, It may need put in to its own thread but I don't have anything to add to it. Other then that I was contemplating leaving the compendium due to...well ^above^, but now I am staying because I would love to participate in game site not some sad wishy-washy drama site.

Men and Women and Horses are different, the should be treated differently and in no way does that at all mean poorly for fucks sake.