Author Topic: Happy Independence Day!  (Read 9521 times)

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
Re: Happy Independence Day!
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2009, 02:25:07 am »
Oppression can be overcome, too. That's what revolts are for. Besides, we aren't talking about oppression, we're talking about discrimination.
But, if you want it that way... http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/oppress Dictionary.com's definition of oppression:
1.    to burden with cruel or unjust impositions or restraints; subject to a burdensome or harsh exercise of authority or power: a people oppressed by totalitarianism.
2.    to lie heavily upon (the mind, a person, etc.): Care and sorrow oppressed them.
3.    to weigh down, as sleep or weariness does.
4.    Archaic. to put down; subdue or suppress.
5.    Archaic. to press upon or against; crush.

Going by that first definition, oppression is any discrimination made into law. Example: It is illegal for gays to marry in many states. That is discrimination made into law. Thus, gays are oppressed by cruel and unjust impositions and restraints.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2009, 08:16:03 pm »
If there ever is a non-discriminatory society, hell will freeze over.  It's ingrain, it's a part of human nature.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2009, 08:20:28 pm »
If there ever is a non-discriminatory society, hell will freeze over.  It's ingrain, it's a part of human nature.

But that kind of thinking doesn't help, does it? We have intelligence and free will. If we try, we can eliminate it from human nature.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2009, 09:07:57 pm »
If there ever is a non-discriminatory society, hell will freeze over.  It's ingrain, it's a part of human nature.

But that kind of thinking doesn't help, does it? We have intelligence and free will. If we try, we can eliminate it from human nature.

I think you mean that, if we try, we can eliminate its expression in our civilization. Eliminating discrimination from the human condition would require genetic engineering or one hell of a crossbreeding regimen.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2009, 09:23:50 pm »
If there ever is a non-discriminatory society, hell will freeze over.  It's ingrain, it's a part of human nature.

I think you mean that, if we try, we can eliminate its expression in our civilization. Eliminating discrimination from the human condition would require genetic engineering or one hell of a crossbreeding regimen.

Heh, which I never meant to leave out of my solutions.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2009, 09:27:40 pm »

I understand; it is sort of a pessimistic viewpoint.  All I can say is: human nature.  I firmly believe that we are an incredibly flawed species, and although I have hope that we can change, it is ultimately a very lofty task (if not impossible, then near).  It is written as such.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2009, 09:58:50 pm »
Meh, when you get down to it, we're animals, so our base needs from one another is procreation. The way I see it, that means we should all like each other more instead of fearing our differences, we should embrace them...SEXUALLY!! :lol:

Survival of the species as a whole is more important than survival of vague gene types each individual shares with their family bloodline.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2009, 11:32:59 pm »
Back on topic, let's hear some words of wisdom from our honorable leader.

This weekend, our family will join millions of others in celebrating America. We will enjoy the glow of fireworks, the taste of barbeque, and the company of good friends. As we all celebrate this weekend, let's also remember the remarkable story that led to this day.

Two hundred and thirty-three years ago, our nation was born when a courageous group of patriots pledged their lives, fortunes, and sacred honor to the proposition that all of us were created equal.

Our country began as a unique experiment in liberty -- a bold, evolving quest to achieve a more perfect union. And in every generation, another courageous group of patriots has taken us one step closer to fully realizing the dream our founders enshrined on that great day.

Today, all Americans have a hard-fought birthright to a freedom which enables each of us, no matter our views or background, to help set our nation's course. America's greatness has always depended on her citizens embracing that freedom -- and fulfilling the duty that comes with it.

As free people, we must each take the challenges and opportunities that face this nation as our own. As long as some Americans still must struggle, none of us can be fully content. And as America comes ever closer to achieving the perfect Union our founders dreamed, that triumph -- that pride -- belongs to all of us.

So today is a day to reflect on our independence, and the sacrifice of our troops standing in harm's way to preserve and protect it. It is a day to celebrate all that America is. And today is a time to aspire toward all we can still become.

With very best wishes,

President Barack Obama

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2009, 11:44:53 pm »
Well said and well-quoted. From what little I've researched the Founding Fathers weren't really so just and idealist as US schooling fondly suggests, but I hope we can still allow the spirit of their efforts to inspire us once filtered through the less-sexist, less-racist, and more egalitarian attitudes we've managed to build upon the foundation they provided centuries ago. There's a ways to go yet, so let's get kickin'.

Redslash

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • Twitch.tv/Redslash
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2009, 11:49:14 pm »
Happy 4th, y'all
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 02:46:35 am by Redslash »

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2009, 07:18:29 pm »

I realize its not for long, but it needs to be said.

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2009, 04:50:59 am »
Wait, some news from the war?  What happened recently? I dont keep track of things.

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2009, 08:59:33 am »
They're leaving Iraq. Some are going to Afghanistan, and some are coming home.

But the important point is, Iraq seems to have stabilized, and we're not needed there anymore. All of our troops should be out of Iraq by 2010, supposedly.

We cleared our objective. Mission accomplished, even if it is 6 years later than we thought.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2009, 11:06:44 pm »
They're not home yet--not even close. They simply pulled out of Iraq's urban centers--and even then there will still be thousands present in an advisory capacity. Overall, the current number of our troops in Iraq is a large majority percentage of the all-time high. I think it is demeaning to them to discount the fact that they're still there just so we can finally declare "mission accomplished."

To tie this into the Fourth of July: Seattle has a fireworks show every year over Lake Union. Every year, just before the show begins, a big Chinook helicopter will fly over the lake draping an enormous American flag for everyone to see. This year we didn't get that. Why? Because the helicopter and its crew are in Iraq.

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2009, 11:21:09 pm »
Well, J, I didn't realize it was "demeaning" to be optimistic.  :roll:

I'm well aware of the situation, but damn it, this is the first good news we've had in a while. The economy sucks, the job market sucks, just let people enjoy the fact that progress is being made on something.