Author Topic: Chrono Trigger Chat Thingy!  (Read 6099 times)

Brink-of-Time

• Guardian (+100)
  • Music is the power of the imagination
    • View Profile
    • My Music
Re: Chrono Trigger Chat Thingy!
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 11:03:46 pm »
That's a great idea too! Makes me want to create a Motoko sprite set :D

Celdine

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 12:09:58 am »
I would be all for working on something like this if I knew anything besides visual basic.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 12:34:26 am »
I, too, lack any sort of programming knowledge that would get this out of the idea stage and into the application stage, but...

Great idea! I especially like the Ragnarok Online idea, that would be really good for creating original characters and such--it would take a while to code, but...

Would monsters be available as characters? 'Cause I'd be a Naga-Ette, of course!

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2009, 10:43:17 am »
For anyone who wants to make this happen, feel free to start making sprite sets, background tiles and maps, and other graphics and sound assets for something like this.

Celdine

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009, 10:14:48 pm »
Well, i found some source code for a very basic ( and buggy)  chat program using Visual Basic. If I could make sense of it, it would be a start to something I guess...
Using just vb would mean that it would require a download. Someone with web programming experience could do much more than I could with vb I think.

Either way in the mean time I'm gonna mess with it in my spare time and see if I can't get anything going.

Ema

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Truth Filter, Goodness Filter & Utility Filter...
    • View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2009, 03:15:03 pm »
For anyone who wants to make this happen, feel free to start making sprite sets, background tiles and maps, and other graphics and sound assets for something like this.

Is there like a specific tile set that you need for this? just give me the specifications and I'll do all I can :)

Celdine

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2009, 06:27:50 pm »
Is there like a specific tile set that you need for this? just give me the specifications and I'll do all I can :)

Well, if you wanted to be able to run around as any character, you would need full motion (up, down, left, right) of every character from the game. If you wanted emotes, such as what seems to be in the images you created before any kind of animation that exits for the sprite. Maps of anywhere you would think people would want to run around.

In terms of exact specifications, such as image size or type, I think that would need to be decided by whoever programs the thing in the first place.

As an update to my previous post, I only had a couple of hours to mess around yesterday so I didn't get anywhere. I'll do a little more research tonight though.

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2009, 06:31:16 pm »
a good program for 2d games without graphical overkill is Game Maker.

It has a large amount of advanced graphical functions too, but the reason I say to avoid this is because if you do too much you can get lag.

For multiplayer and online stuff, the registered version is required, though.

however i have registered version (had it for a while), so if this is the route you choose, I can be of assistance.

Celdine

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 12:18:05 am »
I didn't know game maker had any kind of online function. It would most likely be 10x easier than me attempting to learn how to code this in vb (and there for, go much faster).  I've had a minimal amount of experience with game maker, but i know its not that hard to pickup.

I don't have money for a registered version though :/

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 03:34:24 am »
I didn't know game maker had any kind of online function. It would most likely be 10x easier than me attempting to learn how to code this in vb (and there for, go much faster).  I've had a minimal amount of experience with game maker, but i know its not that hard to pickup.

I don't have money for a registered version though :/

I have had experience with almost every part of gamemaker, barring 2d (extensive) graphical effects, data structures (I mean, seriously, I have never known or found a purpose for these, atleast not one that couldn't be done effectively with arrays.  someone help me out here?), external file editing (other than the regular text file, that is), and I ESPECIALLY have no experience with .dlls.  I just refuse to use em =D

So yes, I have experience with almost anythign else out there.  If I don't it probably wouldnt take long to learn...

Celdine

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 04:01:01 am »
Well I just spent 2 hours trying to get 1 sprite loaded correctly... lol

Clearly you know more about Game Maker than myself. From what I understand though you will need to use .dll's unless you know a way to do this without using a client/server structure.

Also we may want to start working on a simple design document. This would entail:

-Overall structure of the program
-Features to include(emotes?, emoticons?, mini-games?, channels?, etc)
-Maps,Sprites,w/e other images we might need
-User vs Admin/Mod rights and features
-+ w/e else we would want to include

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2009, 04:12:17 am »
there is a built in set of functions for multiplayer/online game communication, built specifically for a client/server type of game.

Its mentioned like, right before 3d functions in the manual.  but of course, its registered...

Celdine

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2009, 04:24:36 am »
I see. Figures that would be the case. I'm assuming you don't have access to a registered version anymore?

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2009, 04:25:26 am »
quite the contrary.  at this very moment I am working with 3d models, lighting, culling, and such.

Celdine

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2009, 04:31:10 am »
Hehe I see. I misunderstood one of your previous posts then.  :)

Well I don't know how much I could help then but I'd be willing to help in anyway I could to get this off the ground (time permitting of course).