Author Topic: Good News Bad News  (Read 20028 times)

Unclever title

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Re: Good News Bad News
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2009, 05:14:34 pm »
To repeat myself as I find it relevant:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If people want a sequel, they should buy more!"

Well we WOULD buy more if you gave us a SEQUEL!! Honestly!

What? You want us to buy the game multiple times?

Honestly what kind of a message is that to give their fans?

It's a bit of an unfair comparison and it's not nearly the same magnitude of issue, but I'm reminded of the alleged and mistranslated words of Marie Antoinette, "Let them eat Cake"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But yeah that was my reaction to that bit of info, I think it's high time Square Enix started LISTENING to what their fans are saying as opposed to just the chink and rustle of the money coming into their pockets.

I understand why they would be reluctant to invest in what they might consider a waste of money, I don't really agree with the whole money focused approach to making games but then again such seems to be necessary in this world, however they are wrong.  Leastwise that's what I think, and I'm fairly sure that every single poster (and other compendium viewers and beyond) on these forums would purchase a Chrono sequel.  

Heck, maybe THAT's the petition people should make in these kinds of things: a collection of signatures and add up the amount of money each signer would be willing to pay for a new Chrono Series game. Then submit that to both SE U.S. and SE Japan.

Hmm... an interesting concept to say the least.  It would either be some real evidence that may finally be enough to convince SE, or it would show us how unrealistic our dreams of another (official) Chrono game are financially.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Response to Burzy:  HYDRO... STORM!!!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 05:17:07 pm by Unclever title »

Magus_Brokenhart

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2009, 06:41:53 pm »
I think those are magnificent numbers for a second port with very light add-ons and low development costs with poor marketing. Especially when you starve the fans for so long and make them forget about the series. They need to put a bit more effort and quit blaming the fans for their own laziness. Maybe they just want to focus on Final Fantasy because that's the game that saved their company, and if FF had competition, it would be the Chrono series. Maybe they don't want competition against their beloved golden sheep?

Kora

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • DevArt
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2009, 08:39:30 pm »
Well, if the chart here can be believed, CTDS did amazingly well for a game that really had very little done for it (and it's a very old game now, 13 years and a half?) It is fourth on the list! What more could SE really ask for?

Also, I've looked through all of the 31 videos for CE...simply amazing work there. Considering Square did the same with their bonus dungeons that you did (using existing tilesets), you did such a better job that it really should shame the company. Truly phenomenal work that I would of loved to play through myself!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 08:41:18 pm by Kora »

Mbrady16

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2009, 08:55:16 pm »
I think it's pretty simple - in terms of story (gameplay being hard to judge from these videos) this is as good as other modern RPG stories so far.  Knowing the types of minds and amount of money flowing around these video game companies and the comparative quality of game, I am dumbfounded.  You guys have done something amazing here.

The main thing that grabs me are the key moments - you all had great dialogue and actions when it mattered most.  The "extinction" scene and the "900+ year prisoner remains" scene (trying to avoid spoilers) are great examples here.  Assuming you had finished, appropriate music would have been the trifecta (though FaustWolf's choice in music was quite good.)

Brink-of-Time

• Guardian (+100)
  • Music is the power of the imagination
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2009, 09:03:28 pm »
This is already good, and keeps getting better.  8)

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2009, 09:06:08 pm »
Well, if the chart here can be believed, CTDS did amazingly well for a game that really had very little done for it (and it's a very old game now, 13 years and a half?) It is fourth on the list! What more could SE really ask for?

Also, I've looked through all of the 31 videos for CE...simply amazing work there. Considering Square did the same with their bonus dungeons that you did (using existing tilesets), you did such a better job that it really should shame the company. Truly phenomenal work that I would of loved to play through myself!

Thanks. Concerning the article you linked, it should be noted that these are the sales for the fiscal year 2009, not the total sales of each games listed. For instance Crisis Core sold 0.84 million copies in FY2009 but sold 1.92 million copies since its release in 2007.

Kora

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • DevArt
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2009, 09:09:43 pm »
Mmm, it's still the fourth most sold game of the fiscal year...and it was only out for half of that year. That would be impressive for sales, wouldn't it?

Brink-of-Time

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2009, 09:16:30 pm »
I guess they want it to be first. More people seem to want a new Chrono game, not a remake.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2009, 10:17:37 pm »
They restored the timeline, and got Chronopolis back, but they still got the idea that they could really fuck up everything forever. That never really came up in CT or CC. It was more like a sugar coated version of what Crimson Echoes delivers so far. If this game had been released, it would have been censored a bit or else have a mature or adult rating or whatever the not for little kids thing is. The equivalent of pg13 in movies. It's not obscene, but there are some dark moments. And those are the most juicy. More juice!

Brink-of-Time

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2009, 10:23:05 pm »
Yes Indeed. The scene with Crono finding Marle's remains is an example. He loved her, and alot of people would have that much rage build up. Censorship can be a bitch sometimes, just let the game show what it REALLY is, not what won't offend anyone.

KitsuneSefam

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2009, 10:31:19 pm »
And let's blame The World Ends With You for it's bad profit due to the wonderfuckingful advertisements by SE and the superb localization then let's claim innovation and making good game is bad for the company!

CTDS was an insult to the chrono series rather than a nostalgic attempt at porting something(Let's remake FF and DQ, but fuck CT!), the guys here kick their faces with adding additional maps and a good story.

Just my ranting.

Good videos btw.

KitsuneSefam

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2009, 10:31:42 pm »
And let's blame The World Ends With You for it's bad profit due to the wonderfuckingful advertisements by SE and the superb localization then let's claim innovation and making good games is bad for the company!

CTDS was an insult to the chrono series rather than a nostalgic attempt at porting something(Let's remake FF and DQ, but fuck CT!), the guys here kick their faces with adding additional maps and a good story.

Just my ranting.

Good videos btw.

kid123

• Guardian (+100)
  • A millenia of unceasingly nonsensical posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2009, 10:32:17 pm »
I wonder if 2D overhead games is suitable enough to be rated mature and adult, Bekkler. I tend to think about an option which can limit the games content to suited specific age, like Dead or Alive 2 from Dreamcast. When set to lower of 17, there is less adult content and vice versa. (note that the game is free from nudity)

Brink-of-Time

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2009, 10:34:24 pm »
It could if it had enough violence and language, or sex. I haven't seen an M 2D game yet, but I think T would be fine.

btw: KitsuneSefam, what is with the double post?

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2009, 10:59:02 pm »
They restored the timeline, and got Chronopolis back, but they still got the idea that they could really fuck up everything forever. That never really came up in CT or CC. It was more like a sugar coated version of what Crimson Echoes delivers so far. If this game had been released, it would have been censored a bit or else have a mature or adult rating or whatever the not for little kids thing is. The equivalent of pg13 in movies. It's not obscene, but there are some dark moments. And those are the most juicy. More juice!

And you haven't even seen the original plot outline >_> It was incredible, but even more violent than the final version. We changed it actually not (so much) because of the violence but other factors (it was fantastic in its own right, but...).

Something I forgot to say in the videos is that the "Breaking Point" and Reptite timeline were the big "shocking occurrence" of the game. CT and CC each had an unexpected, game-altering event. In CT it was Crono's death, and in CC it was Serge's body swap. Since CE focuses on an ensemble cast rather than one main character, the shocking occurrence affects everyone--that's the Reptite timeline.

If you're curious, SquareHaven had a very interesting article about Masato Kato's taste for shocking occurrences (he actually puts one in all his games, not just the Chrono series):

http://squarehaven.com/news/2006/06/11/Masato-Kato-The-M-Night-Shyamalan-of-gaming
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 11:40:43 pm by Chrono'99 »