Author Topic: The Month That Could Have Been Announcement  (Read 26855 times)

Corpse69

• Porrean (+50)
  • Without a fight no one lives on
    • View Profile
Re: The Month That Could Have Been Announcement
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2009, 06:28:53 am »
The sad and sorrow i could seek on your soul, but certainly you hate on the wrong games, that is Squaresoft games dammit!!

true that squaresoft and square Enix are totally different thanx to that merge which wasent realy smart

yes most of the posts are trash besides agent 12 lol including mine
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 06:36:23 am by Corpse69 »

Sara

• Iokan (+1)
  • Only one "Human"
    • View Profile
    • Saralene on Twitch
« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2009, 06:30:18 am »
You know, they've said time and again that all copies were destroyed.

If any are out there, then that person is being dishonest about something important.
What reason do we have to distrust the crew, to think that copies still remain?

I'd love to keep hope for an eventual release, but it's just not there.
The real world... just doesn't work like that.
It doesn't matter if the lawyers have a solid case or not, either.
That they are lawyers working for a big company, against fans that have less resources...
That's enough to do exactly what they want to do.

Fans don't have the time or resources to go through the whole legal process.
Even if they won, it would cost them a lot in the long run, in more than just time and money.
They'd always have to live with the fact that they were in that trial.
The fact that they did something of questionable legality, and went to trial over it.

Sometimes it doesn't matter if you're innocent or guilty.
Just as long as what you've done can be made to look bad enough by the big companies.

Everyone... seems to expect the Crimson Echoes team to give up their lives for a hobby.
If it was that simple, if it wouldn't destroy their lives, they would have, I think.
I believe in them.

RySenkari

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2009, 06:35:59 am »
You know, they've said time and again that all copies were destroyed.

If any are out there, then that person is being dishonest about something important.
What reason do we have to distrust the crew, to think that copies still remain?

Two words: Plausible deniability. I hope they are being dishonest about it, honestly. I WANT to distrust them on this. Of course they're going to say in public that all copies have been destroyed, they pretty much have to. There's no way for any of us to know if someone kept their copy.

They'd always have to live with the fact that they were in that trial.
The fact that they did something of questionable legality, and went to trial over it.

Eh, I wouldn't have a problem doing something of questionable legality and going to trial. It's not a moral issue. The CE guys are in the right. The problem is the financial and temporal consequences.

If it was that simple, if it wouldn't destroy their lives, they would have, I think.
I believe in them.

I don't think it would destroy their lives. Disrupt, yes. Destroy, probably no, though there's always that chance, and that risk is probably too big for them to take. They made the smart decision. Not the altruistic decision, of course, but the smart one.

kid123

• Guardian (+100)
  • A millenia of unceasingly nonsensical posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 28, 2009, 07:12:01 am »
 :picardno

I have to agree with Sara,
I have one word for CE team, please do not destroy the copies completely, it was, afterall, your finest work. I do not have intention about letting it torrented or all the leak stuff. But if i was you, I could not resist to delete the games, but I would save it on my computer merely for momento purpose.

This matter should be dropped down for now, the identity of Alinat0r have been revealed, there is no official statement from SE, and the lawyer is a smart guy and unproductive to be talk to, no one would ever want to paid that mountain of money nor to be jailed nor send this matter to court. However, if any news regarding this matter arise, I gladly read them, for one purpose:

Please, a fanfic of the games should be enough... I don't want to read any bad news, again,ever.

Corpse69

• Porrean (+50)
  • Without a fight no one lives on
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2009, 07:15:44 am »
@RySenkari
i dont really think we should talk about Plausible deniability or why they arent fighting back we all know the CE team is in the right SE just dont care there blind and have a closed mind attitude changing there mind would  be like trying to make concrete with sand and nothing else.

just wait be patient licenses do expire you know they are not permanent.

how ever as they said it was deleted but with trojans and spyware who knows

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 08:16:23 am by Corpse69 »

Gorg

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2009, 07:46:22 am »
I felt shocked when i saw C&D letter for a first time and  I was hoping that they would in the end let you release your project (maybe under some circumstances).Normally I don't post,I am merely a reader ,but I want to tell You that I appreciate your hard work and It's sad that your dream cannot be dreamed by others. Even if every copy of ROM have been destroyed,your project is alive as long as You want to support it,and I am looking forward to see Crimson Echoes released  one day....in the future even in distant one  :)
Thumbs Up

KitsuneSefam

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 28, 2009, 09:17:15 am »
@Sara

In theory, it's impossible that every single copy was destroyed :picardno .

This is the internet, you think the beta testers deleted all the copies? How can they even prove that? I'm not saying to give everyone hypocrite hope but still, we are PROBABLY going to see this game uproar someday.

Happy-Dude

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 28, 2009, 09:28:14 am »
I hope a channel of communication is still open?

I still want things to be settled, an official response (updated and more accurate if possible) be released...

I still suggest contact with SquareEnix of Japan. I think they're nicer and more open there. Besides, thats where the company originally started from, right?

Please, Chrono Compendium, don't give this dream up... I appreciate all you've done... But as long as an official statement has not been released, I cannot leave this issue in peace... And I don't think you guys can, either.

Keep trying. The dream must live on... Else, what are we but slaves to their own mechanisms? What is written as law is NOT always just...

The new mantra, *embrace and assist*, may still be possible at shores beyond "the free and democratic America" (where 'the people' have the dominant power). [Intellectual Americans know this is NOT true -- the business heads and government hold most of everything... It is only until 1/4 of the population band together that a true difference can be made.]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 09:31:07 am by Happy-Dude »

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #98 on: May 28, 2009, 10:46:42 am »

CE team, if you guys seriously spend the rest of your lives doing nothing about this and go off happily diving into your graves as 90-year old farts who refuse to release their game because of false threats and hype from LAWYERS (gee, like those guys never lie, threaten, and make false implications to frighten people into complicity!  Nope, lawyers are so well-known for their honesty and high integrity!) from a Japanese company, then I've lost all my respect for you. 

Seriously, how old are you?! That is the biggest load of crapola I've yet to read on this subject. If you're actually old enough to have a job--which I doubt--then you really must not have much self-respect if you'd be willing to throw your life away over a freaking ROM hack. I'M going to major in game design and pursue a career in it, so obviously I'm a game fanatic, but even I realize that there are things in live that come before gaming.

Say what you, yourself would would do, fine...but don't call the CE team spineless for having self-respect and common sense!

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 28, 2009, 10:59:10 am »
Trying to manipulate other people into martrying people for the game?  Hell, give me a copy of the beta and I'd do it myself.  I'll back up my words myself.

Just giving you a copy would be blatant copyright infringement. The CE team might as well release it themselves if they were going to do that.

CE team, if you guys seriously spend the rest of your lives doing nothing about this and go off happily diving into your graves as 90-year old farts... then I've lost all my respect for you.

Gadzooks, not your respect?! Sure, letting down fans, having SE trample on your dreams, and dealing with litigations is tough, but how can they live without your respect? Let me express their sorrow in verse:

Now the light has turned to darkness
And all food will taste like sassafras
Without having your respect
They'll probably die, I'd expect
Or at least have indigestion.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 02:04:09 pm by Thought »

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #100 on: May 28, 2009, 11:02:59 am »

CE team, if you guys seriously spend the rest of your lives doing nothing about this and go off happily diving into your graves as 90-year old farts... then I've lost all my respect for you.

Gadzooks, not your respect?! Sure, letting down fans, having SE trample on your dreams, and dealing with litigations is tough, but how can they live without your respect? Let me express their sorrow in verse:

Now the light has turned to darkness
And all food will taste like sassafras
Without having your respect
They'll probably die, I'd expect
Or at least have indigestion.

Aahaaaa...that made my day... Thanks for making me smile, Thought.

odekam

• Earthbound (+15)
  • I'm no hero. Never was. Never will be.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2009, 11:04:27 am »
Ok guys, let's stop it... the game won't be released. Let's be happy with the videos. I can't afford to buy a PS3, but I was happy enough to see on youtube all the MGS4's CGs. It's almost the same thing. We can't have the game, so let's be happy with the videos.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 28, 2009, 11:27:01 am »
Trying to manipulate other people into martrying people for the game?  Hell, give me a copy of the beta and I'd do it myself.  I'll back up my words myself.

And I'm not trying to "manipulate" anyone.  I believe exactly what I say.  And I do believe that some of the decisions made by the game staff were based off of flawed beliefs like the belief in the excessive amount of authority and corporal punishment SE could diss.

It is true what I said about lawyers lying- read "Game over press start to continue" and read the story of Donkey Kong.  Lawyers working for movie executives LIED TO NINTENDO DELIBERATELY to try and trick them into giving up the license.  Did they get punished?  Nope.  If someone tried to they could just say, "we were mistaken."  What do you think SE's lawyers would say if it was proven their statement was false?

Lawyers DO lie to fulfill their goals!  Someone should research to see exactly how much of what SE claims actually is true- accepting everything they say at complete face value is the wrong way to go about this.  They'll claim whatever they can to get what they want and if you accept it as fact then they're sure as hell not going to try to correct you or make you any wiser about it.

As for money, sure, SE can shit out an infinite amount of cash but I think the gaming community would work to raise funds for the creators- I'd certainly help out.  C'mon, there are people who would chip in- maybe Jimmy Fallon would have the guy on his show.  The dude's a gaming maniac, oldschool-style, he might be happy to help out.

And someone talked about the amount of time court stuff would waste for the game staff- well guess what?  SE already just wasted a full 5 years of their life that they'll never get back.  Maybe it's their game and it is their decision but I still believe firmly that it is the wrong decision and that it's something they will regret down the line.  They're looking at it the wrong way as imagining that SE's wrath and legal claims would instantly and automatically be 100% realized.  They're thinking only of worst-case scenarios, not imagining that any other outcome could be possible- as if the future is just doomed no matter what they could try.

If someone chose to kill themself or make another bad decision should I just sit back and not do anything because it's none of my business?  No, I do not think I should.  This is not as extreme an example but my point still remains.

Anyway, I think I've pretty much said my piece now this will be my last post on this subject.  Creators, I really hope you think about what I've said.  Those 5 years you're -never- going to get back.... are you going to let those years be for nothing- or are you going to fight to make them mean something?

The choice is up to you.

Zeality just moved to Europe for his grand tour and is trying to get settled into a new life there after finally finishing business school, JP has a full-time job at a major corporation that due to the downturn in the economy wouldn't hesitate to fire him if he ran off to go fight court battles instead of showing up to work, and even though I could implicate myself and try to step in for them, I'm too busy trying to keep North Korea from turning the Korean peninsula and maybe even Japan into a giant, burning hell of death and destruction. But then, even if I did step in, Zeality and JP could still be dragged into court, and nobody has the right to be placing them into that situation without their consent.

Also, I can't speak for the others, but I would certainly find it unethical to take money from fans to fight a legal battle, even in this case. Besides, the money isn't the problem. The problem is people getting dragged away from their current lives and forced to put everything on hold for some indefinite and unclear amount of time that could drag on for months or even years just to deal with this matter, and that's a sacrifice that nobody here is willing or capable of making at the moment.

You have to remember that those wasted five years were in people's own homes working on a creative project over the Internet. They didn't have to put their lives on hold, move somewhere else, and go to court every day to make a game -- they just had to work in the comfort and security of their own homes. It was fun, it was creative, and it was challenging -- but it wasn't affecting the rest of their lives. Going to court would be a completely different matter. You simply can't compare those five years to any amount of time needed to handle the legal repercussions of releasing the game and going to court over it, because they aren't the same thing.

Anyway, if you can't understand and respect other people's situations and the fact that they have different priorities in life than you do, then I fail to see why anyone should respect your opinions concerning what they should do.

I, for one, respect their decision and won't due anything to risk ruining their current position. If you don't agree with their decision, then you should persuade them that the game is worth risking their jobs and personal lives for instead of deriding them for not putting gaming and gaming culture before other aspects of their lives.

But then, you'd probably realize just how silly that makes you sound -- unless you really think video games and video game culture are the end all be all of human existence.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 11:39:31 am by Ramsus »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 28, 2009, 12:08:12 pm »
Ok guys, let's stop it... the game won't be released. Let's be happy with the videos. I can't afford to buy a PS3, but I was happy enough to see on youtube all the MGS4's CGs. It's almost the same thing. We can't have the game, so let's be happy with the videos.

I concur.

Also, MGS4 is pretty much more movie than game  :lol:

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2009, 01:54:05 pm »
Why not turn the game into a flash movie? Each chapter could have episodes. There isn't a law against fan videos right? Just use the script and dialogue you have like make it a fan fiction of your own works! Forget the game, turn it into something new for a change. Keep the dream alive. Remember, don't believe in yourself, believe in the me who believes in you, for yours is the dream that will conquer the heavens. :kamina