Author Topic: Lord of the Rings Fan Film goes live (UBER high-quality stuff)  (Read 432 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
http://thehuntforgollum.s3.amazonaws.com/player_film-youtube.htm

*gives the team behind this an effing standing ovation, and also to New Line Cinema, Peter Jackson, and the Tolkien Estate for not squashing them*

After my daily round at the GameFAQs forums I became despondent, questioning whether fan power could truly be such a morally reprehensible thing as some of the folks over there make it out to be. But the above link proves to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is something wonderful, magical, and sublime about well-done, non-profit fan projects.

While I might have suggested some minor script touchups, the point here is, this short film is the essence of fan power at work...the development of creative skills in cooperation with other people drawn together by a shared interest, to pursue a wholly artistic, non-profit vision. And also exploration of a piece of a fantastic world that the free market itself could not possibly fund; only indomitable human spirit could complete something like this.

We must never forget what we hold dear, even when it seems the whole world is against us. Springtime of Youth, baby. Springtime of Youth.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 08:02:53 pm by FaustWolf »

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
Re: Lord of the Rings Fan Film goes live (UBER high-quality stuff)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 10:21:27 pm »
Wow, I'm not even a quarter's of the way through, but I'm impressed. It almost upset me to see such a well done piece of fan work make it all the way...Kudos to them; the dedication certainly paid off.