Author Topic: Straight Talk Express with the Compendium...Next Stop: Truth  (Read 34874 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Straight Talk Express with the Compendium...Next Stop: Truth
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2009, 01:58:31 am »
CE starts with a disclaimer that it is not canon, but rather a form of fan fiction.

As for the petition referred to, everyone's welcome to make suggestions regarding the petition language in the petition webmaster's thread, to which Kebrel provided a link. The Compendium does not officially support petitions, so the language is in the wider fan community's domain, and the petition webmaster ultimately has the most say in adopting any language that might be proposed.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 02:04:48 am by FaustWolf »

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Future Refused to Change. We Said Screw You.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2009, 02:00:44 am »
Square doesn't know that, and if they do, they probably don't care.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2009, 02:01:43 am »
They will know when we begin uploading footage at least. As for whether they will care...that's for the waiting game to answer.

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2009, 02:02:34 am »
CE starts with a disclaimer that it is not canon, but rather a form of fan fiction.

I understand that completely, however with its major publicity and it being well known and accepted as an amazing fan work, it would see that the line between canon and fiction would be blurred even more.  Atleast, to me it would be.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2009, 03:03:17 am »
While it used canon at several points to connect the dots, I don't think it should have been seen as canon any more than other fan creations...I mean, that's what the purpose of the Compendium sort of is, the analysis is helpful for fans to understand the canon more clearly in order to more properly (/accurately) conduct fan works...

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Future Refused to Change. We Said Screw You.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2009, 03:28:45 am »
You know, I wonder if uploading footage would be such a good idea for everyone in the long run...  I mean, in a way I think it would be better if we knew nothing.  If we see footage, it will make us want to play the game that much more, making us more depressed if anything.  Also I watched the trailer the other day....  Is Flea the added character?  I felt like taking a shot in the water.

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2009, 03:39:29 am »
its just that the game is so well made that it feels more real than it does fake... ya know?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2009, 03:58:55 am »
You know, I wonder if uploading footage would be such a good idea for everyone in the long run...  I mean, in a way I think it would be better if we knew nothing.  If we see footage, it will make us want to play the game that much more, making us more depressed if anything. 

No one's going to force you to watch it. ;)

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2009, 12:30:33 pm »
You know, I wonder if uploading footage would be such a good idea for everyone in the long run...  I mean, in a way I think it would be better if we knew nothing.  If we see footage, it will make us want to play the game that much more, making us more depressed if anything. 

No one's going to force you to watch it. ;)
What he said.

Oh and doesn't the word canon kind of stand in opposition to fanworks? Although the CE team is using the analysis here to fit the game between CT and CC, that doesn't mean it's canon, it just means it's a more accurate piece of fandom. 

HadesKane

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • End of Time MUD
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2009, 05:07:08 pm »
Despite having had no interest in this release whatsoever, I really hate seeing it end this way and my best wishes go out to anyone who was involved in this project.

I've grown increasingly more concerned with fan projects making a big deal prior to their release.  I wonder how matters might have progressed had the old CT remake, and something like CE been completed prior to any publicity, and basically quietly released.

I also wonder how much ground they have to stand on in regards to CE basically just being a patch, but I'm not really qualified to really give any sort of opinion on that one way or the other.

This ordeal, however, does make me a bit more concerned and rethinking my attitude that fan works that don't seek to exhaustively recreate one of Square's games and that don't pose any sort of threat are under the radar and fall under the general umbrella of fan works that most companies don't seem to mind.

You see, I've been working on my own "fan project" for several years now.  It is predominately based on Final Fantasy, but there is significant Chrono influence throughout.  Some of the major systems are highly influenced by Chrono systems, and about 25% of the game world is directly influenced by areas from Chrono Trigger and Cross.  The game is a MUD (Multi-User Dungeon) which is basically a text-based, online, roleplaying game.  Without any direct graphical elements and everything done through descriptions, I hope we're fine, but I'm growing increasingly more concerned.  I've started compiling a list of terms in order to switch Square copyright terms over to if there ever ends up being a problem.  It also gives me pause on how 'known' I would like my project to be.  Obviously, the more known we are, the more players we are and the more successful the game is, but... the more likely we'll be noticed and shut down.

So yeah, as someone who has spent years working on a project out of love for the games they've provided us with, I can certainly sympathize with what you guys are going through.

Good luck moving forward.

Onikage725

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2009, 07:02:03 pm »
I really don't think SE cares about canon perception. I think it is simply that they happened to catch this right before release, and want to make their stance clear. I also think they misunderstand the nature of the TF and kinda went into a blind panic (maybe they thought this was a CT:DS hack, at that).

Or, to put another way- if they were *that* upset about canon perception, or really that upset in general, wouldn't they have pressed charges for Prophet's Guile? They're kinda making an example out of CE, because that was just about to be released. But the early CE demo is still floating around the net, as is PG.

BTW- to the mods and CE development team- I know a few forums where people share packs of roms, and (without naming names) one of them had one of those "every game!" kind of packs that had PG in its list. Not uncommon for fan hacks to get grouped in with those, but I'll send a friendly note to the uploader (and any others I see) that they should take that down. Or if you guys want to know where it is I'm talking about, PM or email me.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2009, 07:10:40 pm »
Now that reminded me, the 'List of the Best Rom hacks!' thread has downloads for PG, the retranslation, and others. And still working apparently.

phelph

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2009, 08:14:28 pm »
Whered that fake email go that used to be on the "C&D"....?

come on guys.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2009, 08:29:26 pm »
Reviewing the copy of the C&D order that I downloaded when it hit, I can find no email. The header of the email to which it was attached has been provided elsewhere, but much as I dislike how we were treated over there, I'm not about to invite Square Enix to scrutinize other fan modding sites. You might find it via a Google search.

Believe me, I had to have some very painful conversations with long-time friends to prove to myself that this was not some kind of inside job. I am fully convinced that this is real, and until we receive an official overture from Square Enix, I can only ask that you take us at our word.

Furthermore, I'd like to point out that Square Enix can't very well just stay silent on this matter while the firestorm spreads across the Internet; they have to cover themselves from the fallout too, and I'm sure they'll say something sooner rather than never.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 09:26:40 pm by FaustWolf »

phelph

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2009, 08:42:19 pm »
yeah right, very lame.

Believe me, I had to have some very painful conversations with long-time friends to prove to myself that this was not some kind of inside job

somthing tells me that wouldnt be an issue with longtime friends unless somthing was severely fishy. And very very lame.