Author Topic: Straight Talk Express with the Compendium...Next Stop: Truth  (Read 35205 times)

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
Re: Straight Talk Express with the Compendium...Next Stop: Truth
« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2009, 12:54:08 pm »
I hate to break it to you guys, but a couple thousand people boycotting won't make a difference. Hell, hundreds of thousands of boycotts don't make a big enough difference when the games are selling 5 million (or so) copies. Go ahead and boycott though, you're ultimately depriving yourself of games that probably won't all that phenomenal. Likewise writing letters won't do much, unless they're in huge numbers. These kinds of companies and corporations tend to look at letters and just toss 'em aside. They probably won't affect SE though, and if they do, it probably won't be the person you want affected.

Unless you can send a letter, phone call, email, etc directly to the highest-ups at SE, you're not gonna see enough of a difference.

Seph

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2009, 01:43:51 pm »
Well said, sorry peeps but he's right, but that doesn't mean I wont stop boycotting their stuff, like I said before they haven't made anything good in years anyway so I see no need to stop.

DBoruta

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2009, 08:31:49 pm »
You'd be surprised.  Think about it - even for a company like Square-Enix, bad PR travels fast.  It'll start off with a nice handful of people, but it will make it into something newsworthy on a gaming news site or on Digg if there's enough noise made by the people boycotting.  I'm not just talking FF, I'm talking ALL SE games.  Whether you see it or not, a snowball effect will start from that, or at the very least give SE some very bad PR. 

It's been done to other developers, for example, Infinity Ward.  PS3 people got really pissed off at the handling of COD4 and many boycotted the DLC map packs, including me, and voiced a very loud opinion to IW about it.  IW had already made their millions in COD4, but they decided to try to warm up to the PS3 crowd anyway with some stuff, and it worked for some.

The whole reason why SE is the way it is now is because people like us think voicing some outrage and boycotting won't matter to them.  By saying that, we're letting them win.  Well, I'm fed up with SE putting out shitty games, ruining the good old ones they used to make on top of it, and threatening to sue every time a fan project pops up.  SE can go to hell and I hope they get some REALLY BAD PR out of this. 

Belthasar

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2009, 09:56:00 pm »
I have googled crimson echoes in quotes for the past 7 days and there are 1,510 results so word is really spreading about the C&D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 10:26:38 pm by Belthasar »

joe_devore

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • Vector Engineering
« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2009, 11:30:12 pm »
Now that I take a look at all the facts and the legal theories that are actually out there, I would agree. However, the case:

M. Kramer Manufacturing Company, Inc. v. Andrews (1986)

Would be all that stands against the Compendium. I'm trying to find the language right now in a law database, because it's not easily accessible like Nintendo vs. Galoob. I wonder, now, whether Kramer v. Andrews wouldn't be overturned by Nintendo v. Galoob.

Never give up.   Fight back.
I have NEVER SEEN any translation or Hack/mod project online that EVER intended to ever PROFIT from these wonderful pieces of FAN work.

Just found Kramer vs. Andrews (1986).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand of that case, the defendant was modding Kramer's game into something very different but still consisting of the raw materials Kramer provided -- and then replicating and selling the product.

Had Andrews sent a magic monkey to mod all of Kramer's coin-op machines into the new game, and not profited from it, would Kramer have had a case? I tend to think not.

YOU *Never* intended to ever profit from these Fan Hacks SO THEY have NO CASE.. (As so far a Profiting goes<_<)

wertigon

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2009, 06:44:12 pm »
Sigh...

*would gladly pay $20 if it meant being able to play Crimson Echoes, and if 7 500 other souls felt the same way... Problem solved.*

Won't happen though, but crowd funding is the shit.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 18, 2009, 07:30:46 pm »
Yeah, had Yoichi Wada actually played Crimson Echoes, I think there's a serious chance he would have just co-opted the project. It was that good.

kattrali

• Sleuth of Time
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 18, 2009, 07:52:18 pm »
Yeah, had Yoichi Wada actually played Crimson Echoes, I think there's a serious chance he would have just co-opted the project. It was that good.

Okay, now I'm going to cry. That wasn't a serious comment, right? Right!?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 18, 2009, 07:56:31 pm »
Dead serious, actually. *hands out tissues*

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 18, 2009, 07:57:04 pm »
Dead serious?  As in dead like Crimson Echoes?

Glenn27

« Reply #115 on: May 18, 2009, 08:06:27 pm »
Faust, don't give up yet.  If you ever need $20 donations to pay for legal costs then I think you can get lots of people to chip in.

kattrali

• Sleuth of Time
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 18, 2009, 08:14:47 pm »
Faust, don't give up yet.  If you ever need $20 donations to pay for legal costs then I think you can get lots of people to chip in.

I would. Though I know that is not how the Compendium does things.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2009, 08:37:32 pm »
Again, the focus right now is on trying to establish some kind of dialogue with SE. Not all hope is lost until there's an official response that we can use to judge SE's attitude post-fallout. They've gotta say something eventually.

In the meantime, who's up for some Hungry Hungry Hippos?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 08:41:16 pm by FaustWolf »

Dapifer

• Guardian (+100)
  • Semper Fidelis, Usque Ad Mortem
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2009, 08:44:33 pm »
I want the Blue one!

Belthasar

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 18, 2009, 08:45:54 pm »
In the meantime, who's up for some Hungry Hungry Hippos?
OOOH OOOh I am!