Author Topic: Cease & Desist Letter  (Read 178612 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Cease & Desist Letter
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2009, 03:23:31 pm »
Two things:

1) A letter-writing campaign is pointless. Square Enix's legal department doesn't care. They are intensely focused on their narrow duties, and just don't give a fuck about anything else. Never underestimate the ability of a group of lawyers to miss the forest for the trees that may or may not be in it. If you really want to write to SE, don't bother writing to their legal department.

2) A movie of the play-through would probably be defensible, because the actual video involves no ROM hacking. However, all known copies of CE were destroyed before we made the announcement to the community, and I don't personally know if someone had recorded a play-through before that happened. If they did, I'm sure it will come out eventually.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2009, 03:24:52 pm »
Both Chronomitch and MasaMuneCyrus have the right idea I think. Wednesday is the dead line of action, but if we just go around yelling, we could possibly be in it worse then we are. Figure out what we can/cannot claim, contact help, get a crowd. We can't afford a lot(if any) legal help that I am aware of, but there is a lot of resources out there. Backing down completely and obediently isn't the route we should go, the claims against CE may be a lost cause but removal of Kajar Labs? TF? No way that can not be taken.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2009, 03:29:41 pm »
Quote from: Lord J
I don't personally know if someone had recorded a play-through before that happened. If they did, I'm sure it will come out eventually.

We have hours of footage that could probably be strung together into a complete or nearly complete playthrough video series. I think that'll be the final option if the situation remains as-is. For now, everyone hold off on sending a barrage of letters until the core CE team has had time to mull everything over.

MasaMuneCyrus, do you happen to have a link describing any kind of actual litigation between Zophar's Domain and Nintendo? The precedent may prove useful somehow.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 03:32:39 pm by FaustWolf »

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2009, 03:32:35 pm »
Personally, I think that by knocking CE out, it means that a new game is coming our way. Why would they go through the trouble of C&Ding the game when there'll be no new one? I mean, if there's no new game, new tools will be made (or we'll use tools we still have), new games will be made... the cycle continues.

Though here's a question.

Given that CE and half our stuff has been removed from the site (and may never see the light of day again) how're Chrono Ark and Crisis doing? Have they been C&D'd as well?

I support the idea of a group. We say what we claim, what we don't claim, comply to removal of CE, but all of Kajar? Not all of Kajar is ROM hacking! And TF... so long as we state that the stuff isn't ours and we have no claims to it (nor do we wish to have people to pay for it) I think it's cool. There was an article here somewhere about how NOT to get a new game. Can't find it.

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2009, 03:33:50 pm »
Cocksuckers.

Bunch of fucking cocksuckers.

Seeing as this has left me momentarily speechless, that's about all that I can say. Square-Enix are a bunch of fucking cocksuckers.

It wouldn't be so bad if they'd send the C&D letter shortly after the project began, but the timing of is just brutal. It's as if they wanted to give a real jolt to the online fanbase and the modding community, just to underscore the fact that they won't tolerate any use of their old creative product. CT is hardly the only game out there that's been subject to retranslation, modification, hacks etc... SE are the only ones I've heard of that are actually such dickheads that they'll try and quash such projects.

This, despite all the characters, locations, story elements etc. having been dormant and gathering dust for 10 years, arguably 15 years now.

It's this sort of corporate mentality that began to put me off video games during the PSX / Saturn / N64 era, and a fine example of why I haven't bought or even played, a new SE game since FFIX. Probably I'm missing out on some fun stuff since then, but I can't muster the same enthusiasm to play something like 'Final Fantasy XIII', where they're pimping out the franchise like a cheap whore.

The worst part is that I doubt they even have any plans for any CT remakes, sequels or side-stories. Probably based on the logic of 'well, what if we want to make a sequel 10 years down the road...' Without a single consideration that it's these sorts of projects that keep the fanbase alive and enthused.

Hell, SE own the rights to Bubble Bobble  and Space Invaders through recent mergers, if I recall correctly. Are they going to intervene to prevent fan spin-offs of those games too?

To all those involved in the making of this project over the years, I'm so sorry that this got shut down after so much hard work. I'm especially saddened to read that known copies of CE and other fan projects - plus their respective discussion forums - were destroyed or shut down. I was hoping the game had been put it in a safe for possible future release years down the road. Maybe once SE goes tits-up from the economic downturn, or something of the like. 3D Realms bit the dust just a few days ago, so who knows. Seems a bit rash to purge everything, but I can totally understand the decision as I'd panic if I got such a letter.

Someone mentioned trying to re-weave the story into a new game with different characters / sprites etc. While I doubt that would be something the development team would consider any time soon, I hope they don't discard the idea completely. It would be a total shame to see so much thought and originality (storyline etc) go to waste, and fan fiction / art just wouldn't do it justice.

Terrible news, and for me, a stain on Square-Enix's reputation.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2009, 03:40:03 pm »
They should have organized something where they could purchase CE or even just take it and sell it as it was a FINISHED game they didn't need to work on at ALL. That's the last I'm gonna say about it. Peace.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2009, 03:40:51 pm »
Personally, I think that by knocking CE out, it means that a new game is coming our way. Why would they go through the trouble of C&Ding the game when there'll be no new one? I mean, if there's no new game, new tools will be made (or we'll use tools we still have), new games will be made... the cycle continues.

Though here's a question.

Given that CE and half our stuff has been removed from the site (and may never see the light of day again) how're Chrono Ark and Crisis doing? Have they been C&D'd as well?

I support the idea of a group. We say what we claim, what we don't claim, comply to removal of CE, but all of Kajar? Not all of Kajar is ROM hacking! And TF... so long as we state that the stuff isn't ours and we have no claims to it (nor do we wish to have people to pay for it) I think it's cool. There was an article here somewhere about how NOT to get a new game. Can't find it.

1) There won't be a new Chrono game just because they dropped a C&D on us. That's wishful thinking. They did this because they want brand control of the series, and they perceive professional-grade fanworks as a threat. It was very shitty of them to wait till the last minute to do this, though.

2) The Ark people had a meeting last night and decided to go independent. (Good for them!) "Chrono" Ark will become an independent game set in an original universe...a spiritual successor rather than a direct sequel. They can tell you more on their forums.

chronomitch

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2009, 04:12:27 pm »
A letter-writing campaign is pointless. Square Enix's legal department doesn't care. They are intensely focused on their narrow duties, and just don't give a fuck about anything else. Never underestimate the ability of a group of lawyers to miss the forest for the trees that may or may not be in it. If you really want to write to SE, don't bother writing to their legal department.

I did some digging, and it seems that 999 Sepulveda Blvd. 3rd Floor El Segundo, CA 90245 is a general Squenix office which handles hiring, warranty claims, and legal issues. I couldn't find anymore information about any other Squenix offices in the US. Everything on their site and in Google Maps points pack to this address, so it is likely that this is Squenix's North American headquarters.

While it is still possible that our letters just might be ignored, it is likely that they will grab the attention of someone important if we send enough.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2009, 04:16:28 pm »
If your set on writing a letter, which isn't a bad idea just not a solid one, write in to a specific person in SE not to the department in general.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2009, 04:21:58 pm »
CT is hardly the only game out there that's been subject to retranslation, modification, hacks etc... SE are the only ones I've heard of that are actually such dickheads that they'll try and quash such projects.

Nintendo is into that kind of things too. I think there was a 2D Ocarina of Time that got C&Ded. Though it was a remake, not an interquel. [EDIT: Sorry, it was a different case altogether.]

The worst part is that I doubt they even have any plans for any CT remakes, sequels or side-stories. Probably based on the logic of 'well, what if we want to make a sequel 10 years down the road...'

I'm as pissed as everyone else, but still, I'd like to point out that The 3rd Birthday will be released this year, and that's precisely 10 years after Parasite Eve II. There's always hope.

Someone mentioned trying to re-weave the story into a new game with different characters / sprites etc. While I doubt that would be something the development team would consider any time soon, I hope they don't discard the idea completely. It would be a total shame to see so much thought and originality (storyline etc) go to waste, and fan fiction / art just wouldn't do it justice.

In theory it's possible; while CE was an interquel, its story is distinctive enough to stand on its own. But reconstructing the game is just overwhelming. We'd have to reprogram everything into whatever language or maker and create brand new sprites, tilesets, music, and probably redesign half the techs too. We don't have a single graphic that could be recycled into a new game, apart from one or two rough character sketches.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 09:36:52 pm by Chrono'99 »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2009, 04:29:35 pm »
If you guys really want something to do, just post news of the C&D around at other Square forums, game sites, etc., even like OCRemix's community forum. Let people know this has happened. Quote www.crimsonechoes.com and let them know this is probably the first 8-bit or 16-bit ROM hack to get this kind of treatment.

povuholo

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2009, 04:40:03 pm »
If you guys really want something to do, just post news of the C&D around at other Square forums, game sites, etc., even like OCRemix's community forum. Let people know this has happened. Quote www.crimsonechoes.com and let them know this is probably the first 8-bit or 16-bit ROM hack to get this kind of treatment.
I agree. Getting the word out is pretty much the only reasonable thing worth doing right now.

Would be nice if we could get this onto Digg. You guys still have all the email adresses of the people who wanted to help the series out... Use them?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 04:41:55 pm by povuholo »

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 10, 2009, 05:06:01 pm »
Leave it to me to be behind...I couldn't find Kajar Labs...then the pieces started coming together.

This hurts for tons of reasons.  I was looking forward to being a part of something here....this is how I wanted to do it.........

Sheeeeeeit...I don't want to roll over for this...not like this.

EDIT:  I just checked out the letter...I live a block from Sepulveda blvd...so you know.....I'm not sayin I/we should...you know...JUST SAYIN'  8)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 05:10:45 pm by Shee »

Watashiwa

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 10, 2009, 05:20:49 pm »
*sigh*

How depressing.  I never thought that another game that I was interested in would be cancelled.  What saddens me the most though is the loss of the non-CE stuff, like CT+ and others.

For those who are interested, I posted this on Digg.com.

Link is: http://digg.com/gaming_news/Square_Enix_Sends_C_D_Order_to_Popular_Chrono_Trigger_Site

Do the forum a favor and digg this, please.  Even if the project is cancelled, there are still people who might be interested that this happened.

Hope I didn't upset anyone by making it public...