Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 6197 times)

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2009, 08:32:33 pm »
No, I think they're referring to the birth scene. The obstetrician was this really weird bug-eyed alien lady.

Yeah that's what I was talking about. She looked pretty much human except for ginormous eyes.

All in all I thought it was a good movie. Very entertaining, very humorous. I thought all of the actors portrayed their respective characters nearly perfectly. I've only watched the Star Trek shows in passing, never was such a Star Trek nerd that I would ever watch an entire series all the way though - but this movie made me want to. I think it will help revitalize the series.

That is SO like him. But as soon as YOU start to ignore HIM, THEN it's a big deal. Priceline can eat it.

I know - You are not. Talking shit - About - The. Priceline. - Negotiator.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2009, 09:45:00 pm »
I love the Shatner.  I don't care what anyone says.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2009, 11:38:55 pm »
...She looked pretty much human except for ...
Isn't that every Star Trek alien?

I know - You are not. Talking shit - About - The. Priceline. - Negotiator.
:lol:

I love the Shatner.  I don't care what anyone says.
Well, Zapp Brannigan is my favorite character too. (<-4dlulz)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2009, 08:31:57 am »

Um, not every alien in Star Trek is humanoid...Maybe all of the Federation is (idk Federation History or anything)...but I even recall an alien encounter that was 2-dimensional (I think it was a Voyager ep...might've been TNG though, I forget).

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2009, 09:18:02 am »
The original cast, at least.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2009, 09:44:17 am »

Um, not every alien in Star Trek is humanoid...Maybe all of the Federation is (idk Federation History or anything)...but I even recall an alien encounter that was 2-dimensional (I think it was a Voyager ep...might've been TNG though, I forget).

It was TNG.  The ship was trapped in the 2D creature and it was heading to one of those deadly, starship-crushing phenomena.

Any comments on Voyager, from anyone?  We are just starting the series and after finishing TNG and then DS9, none to sure that it could top either of those series.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2009, 11:03:06 am »

It was TNG.  The ship was trapped in the 2D creature and it was heading to one of those deadly, starship-crushing phenomena.

Any comments on Voyager, from anyone?  We are just starting the series and after finishing TNG and then DS9, none to sure that it could top either of those series.

A blackhole, if I recall correctly.

Q could be said to be non-humanoid who just happens to be appearing as a humanoid. Indeed, there is an entire class of Star Trek aliens that aren't humanoid but appear to be at one point or another. Changelings/Shapeshifters like Odo are another such example. Then there was that tar thingy that killed Tasha Yar. And the wormhole aliens. And Trills.

For truly alien aliens, you need to go to other science fiction shows it seems. Of course, then you get aliens like the Daleks, which have been traditionally defeated by staircases.

Its a no-win scenario. Where's Kirk when you need him?

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2009, 01:24:12 pm »

I thought Voyager was pretty good. It took it a bit to really get going and then at the end it sort of petered out a bit with over-the-top Borg ep after over-the-top Borg ep, but it was always pretty neat...I think I enjoyed Sliders more for that similar sort of 'trying to get back home' feel...Though with Voyager it also has plenty of elements from TNG and the rest of the Trek 'verse...

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2009, 04:11:55 pm »

I thought Voyager was pretty good. It took it a bit to really get going and then at the end it sort of petered out a bit with over-the-top Borg ep after over-the-top Borg ep, but it was always pretty neat...I think I enjoyed Sliders more for that similar sort of 'trying to get back home' feel...Though with Voyager it also has plenty of elements from TNG and the rest of the Trek 'verse...
Yeah I thought Voyager was pretty good.  It doesn't beat DS9, but it was still good.  Not sure how to compare it to TNG.  In my eyes they're about equal I guess.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2009, 04:19:10 pm »
I really enjoyed Voyager. I watched pretty much all the eps in that series and I can't say the same about the other series... mainly because I was too young. Although they do syndicate it on Spike tv and such, I don't really have that channel right now. I guess I liked all the borg melodrama and having a female captain was great. Enterprise was pretty much crap... though I gave it an honest chance by watcihng the first season instead of American Idol lol.

DS9 is probably my favorite though. It had the most diverse and amusing cast of characters. The last couple of seasons with the whole war thing kind of drug on much in the way that Voyager's Borg thing did,but still it was a great show.

You know, my dad learned English from watching TNG XD. I don't even know how since they use so much technobabble in it, but he seems to give it a lot of credit.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2009, 04:22:52 pm »
TNG>TOS>Enterprise>DS9=Voyager
For me at least, I was raised on TOS and TNG and I watched Voyager and Enterprise while they were still airing. DS9 I haven't seen all of only reruns on Spike and such.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2009, 11:57:02 pm »
I'm watching TOS and it is probably the creepiest series I've ever seen.

It's great, though.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2009, 12:09:18 am »
Enterprise was pretty much crap... though I gave it an honest chance by watcihng the first season instead of American Idol lol.

Am I the only one that actually really liked Enterprise? I'm no trekkie by any stretch, but I found that show really entertaining any time I happened to watch an episode.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2009, 03:46:31 am »
I was okay with Enterprise, but I really, really disliked the idea of Enterprise...Grappling hooks in space just aren't as cool as Tractor beams. The best part of that series, though, was seeing Brent Spiner as Dr. Soong...I think he was starting up the whole Khan colony of genetically enhanced humans or something. That was the really worthwhile part of the series...oh and T’Pol brought sexy back for the Vulcans (after losing the Sexy Wars of the '80s~'90s)...

To me, idk why I bother sharing, no one ever cares how anyone else ranks things really, but they go...

TNG>Voyager>TOS>Enterprise>DS9

Though I admit I've seen the least of DS9, most of the time it was because I would start to watch an ep and become almost immediately uninterested...It was always nice to see Worf and I liked Dax (Terry Farrell version anyways, her 2nd body was kind of lame and always felt sort of last minute to me, but again, might be effected by not seeing a ton of the series)...but whenever the story revolved around any of the other characters I sort of tuned out...

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2009, 12:38:05 pm »

Yes, it was Voyager. It was called "Species 326(or some random number). They were central for one of the story arcs and their role in fighting the borg, etc. They could have done a lot more with them...