Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 6171 times)

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 10:49:07 am »
Uhura had a crush on her teacher and Spock responded in kind when he was having a mental break down. It made sense to me, at least.

What didn't make any sense was promoting a cadet (who hadn't even graduated yet) to Captain of the flagship.
Well the obvious reasoning being he was James T. Kirk.

From what it looked like the crew was mostly all fresh recruits, so putting the top of the class student made sense. After all Pike knew the whole story behind the sim.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 02:34:58 pm »
And it doesn't specify how much time is between the movie and the last scene where they pretty much take off it could have been a while later.

Kenji

• Fan Project Leader
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Ideologues
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 11:43:43 pm »
Trek had fallen out of favor with me for quite some time... about the last decade.  First Contact was the last decent movie, and even then, I didn't really like it.  After that, things went downhill with both the movies and television series (DS9 being the last decent series, in my opinion).  In any case, I had gotten tired of the pseudo-intellectualism, pontificating, and clear lack of anything that resembled subtlety.

So, when I heard that this re-imagining was coming out, I was excited.  I hoped that this would revitalize sci-fi in the American mainstream, 'cuz without it, there's no interest in space.

Last night, I watched it and it blew me away.  I would've been happy if the movie simply didn't suck, but it went past that and became a truly enjoyable experience.  To put it another way, the two hours I sat in the theater felt more like one: that's the mark of a fun movie.  The action was intense, the characters well-written and likable, and the tech was fun to see.

Really, I have no complaints.  I'm just happy to see Trek beginning its rebirth.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 02:41:20 am »
In my eyes, you know a movie is good when you finish a huge bag of popcorn before the movie starts (Me and 4 family members were there and it took a long time to start) and don't refill it at all during it.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 05:22:00 am »
I hope after maybe another movie or so that this surge creates a push for a new series, dammit! Make up for Enterprise biting the dust early already! Remember: Star Trek is a lot about the future. How about we go further into the future instead of going backwards? I haven't seen this movie, and I'm sure it's great, but obviously they're not going to get this cast to do a prequel origin story series or something...and I don't think I'd want one anyways...

Get to the time travely Federation! It's obviously the next final frontier! You could then have an excuse for guest appearances by anyone from previous Treks no matter how old they are now! Or they could even retread storylines like that one ep of DS9 where they went back in time to the Trouble With Trebbles ep. C'mon, dammit, why aren't I a tv decision-maker guy? >_<
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 05:24:37 am by V_Translanka »

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 02:04:25 pm »
They probably wouldn't be able to get the same actors, but I think it would be pretty cool if they did like what Battlestar Galactica did where they take the show and remake it only it would be in this timeline.  And yes, Trials and Tribble-ations was one of the best episodes.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 03:12:07 pm »
That DS9 episode wasn't very good, imo.  Just finished up the series in its entirety a few days ago.  So far DS9 > the rest.

As for this new movie, I don't plan on seeing it.  looks like another action movie...not what ST is about.   The trailers made me laugh and put me off completely, as well as most every review out there saying it is "amazing", when its just another blah action movie.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 03:19:58 pm »
I have seen it. Epic and emotional... just absolutely well done.

*Recommends to Zeality after the C&D business is over with* :grimm

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 04:09:27 pm »
It is a good (or manipulative) movie if it can get you to cry 5 minutes in.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 05:12:36 pm »
I had a dream last night where I met William Shatner. I told him that I was disappointed he wasn't in the Star Trek movie. Then he proceeded to ignore me : p.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2009, 05:31:39 pm »
I'm not sure I liked it, which means I probably didn't. It's a pretty well-done film for what it tries to do, but I'm more interested in stories with substance. I don't mind the flash, but it's like having all frosting with no cake. No character development, no plot intricacies, no drama, no art. Pure entertainment. Great way to burn two hours, but insignificant in the greater scheme of things, and to me Star Trek was always at its best when it took an interest in the greater scheme of things.

Actually, in this case, I do think the flash was too much. What an over-energized movie! Our pop culture suffers from such awful hyperstimulation these days; it's everywhere. I can't wait for that to burn itself out.

It is a good (or manipulative) movie if it can get you to cry 5 minutes in.

"Manipulative" is right. I was sitting there watching it, thinking to myself, "I can't believe I'm tearing up over this." I also admit that I barked when Scotty beamed them into that empty cargo bay.

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2009, 11:54:07 pm »
"Manipulative" is right. I was sitting there watching it, thinking to myself, "I can't believe I'm tearing up over this." I also admit that I barked when Scotty beamed them into that empty cargo bay.

I thought pretty much the same thing during that scene, but then every time they showed that alien with the big buggy eyes it made me laugh for some reason.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2009, 12:55:33 pm »

I thought pretty much the same thing during that scene, but then every time they showed that alien with the big buggy eyes it made me laugh for some reason.
...Um, are you referring to the one with Scotty?

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2009, 01:00:33 pm »
No, I think they're referring to the birth scene. The obstetrician was this really weird bug-eyed alien lady.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2009, 01:09:36 pm »
I had a dream last night where I met William Shatner. I told him that I was disappointed he wasn't in the Star Trek movie. Then he proceeded to ignore me : p.

That is SO like him. But as soon as YOU start to ignore HIM, THEN it's a big deal. Priceline can eat it.