Author Topic: The internet @#@@# frustration thread  (Read 968 times)

TriforceofEternity

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
The internet @#@@# frustration thread
« on: April 24, 2009, 04:20:25 am »
This version is for venting out your anger about internet issues which can be from your files taking ALL DAY to downloadcause of a 56k modem or you are being chased by trolls.

Sometimes I wonder if mulitple video-game sites have the exact same troll using a different name.

My problem now is with Vgmusic.com. 

Chrono Compendium members asks: "Triforce how can you have a problem with VGmusic.com when it has over 24,000 midi files for your enjoyment?"

While I've gotten good midis there is quite a bit of games like Paper Mario RPG that is BEGGING for composers and the forum community is brain-dead where you are considered "fresh meat" if you are new and most of the new people are ignored anyways even if they don't do anything to deserve to be ignored.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 04:25:11 am by TriforceofEternity »

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
Re: The internet @#@@# frustration thread
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 04:31:33 am »
Dude they just merged like 3 exact threads you made like this with the other thread.  :picardno (Note: First time ever using Picard I think.)

FouCapitan

• Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 08:28:43 am »
Seriously Triforce, we don't need a new frustration thread for each individual category of frustrations.  Next there'll be a "Video Game $%*! frustration thread" and a "Relationship $%*! frustration thread" and a "School/Work $%*! frustration thread".

It's not needed. :picardno

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 08:32:18 am »
TRIFORCE=UNLEARNABLE? Or is that troll comment a not-so-subtle cue as to his own intentions?

I would seriously suggest my "Triforce's Corner" idea again if I could get over the idea that it would seem like we were giving special privilege...

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 08:53:53 am »
Actually, I think the problem is that some people have a tendency to confuse discussion forums with their own personal blogs/websites (i.e. personal soapbox) as well as their own personal tech support. I actually don't think it's that big of a deal -- really it's just a minor faux pas.

After all, it's not nearly as painfully bad as having a bunch of self-absorbed teenagers -- who don't read non-fiction books and can't critically analyze worth shit, have never had to pay for anything or take care of themselves, and otherwise have no perspective on life outside of being taken care of and herded around in the failed American public school system -- try to hold a real debate about a real issue. It's painful, because you see them take sides based on the polarized political platforms of whichever group's image they've chosen to associate themselves most with or go with what the people around them believe, then go on to find justification for their views from there. The worst part is when they don't even stop to question their own views, or seek to find the facts of the issue and then choose a position based on their own analysis.

But what really hurts is one day actually turning on the TV for a bit and realizing that this is how most of the adult population in the United States is today.

It's a sad reality, but image and group identity/association are more important than the truth. And while it's been the defining nature of American culture for at least a few decades now, if not more, I can't help but feel that this trend is somehow fundamentally, if not entirely un-American, and I refuse to simply let our society slide into irrational decadence and decay like this.

Now then, faced with stuff like that, I could care less about a few failed threads by someone who simply has a hard time communicating with other people and understanding social rules. I say, let him make and keep his mistakes, as long as they aren't disrupting anything -- so that this thread may stand alone to live or die by its own merits and none other.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 08:57:55 am by Ramsus »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 11:10:10 am »
To be fair, it is incredibly rare for anyone to ever be taught how to think. One wouldn't expect a random person on the street to be able to construct a pocket watch, so why should one expect a random person on the street to be capable of critical thought? When people (not just Americans) think of education, they thing of facts and route memorization. They think of equations, historical events, and literary themes. Which is to say, they think of tools and not processes.

It is not just a failure of schools but a failure of parents and society. The education system doesn't teach children how to think, society glorifies individuals who don't think, and parents sit idly by while the brain of their child remains limp and fat. It is only that rare individual who is capable of teaching him- or herself how to think.

How does one do that? Reading can help (fiction vs. non-fiction is a red herring), but learning the thoughts of great men and women won’t allow one to think one's own great thoughts. Rather, it is through discussion and debate that one learns these skills.

Yes, such a debate can be painfully bad, but these are labor pains. There will be stillbirths, certainly, but it is from these painfully bad sham-debates that actual, thinking humans are born.

"There is no teacher but the enemy." It is only by testing one's assumptions, however inelegant that test may be, that the assumptions can be broken and the person be let out.

That is the stuff you want to promote.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 11:32:58 am »
I like how  such an incredibly simple topic like this has gotten you two and probably will many more spark up really brain poking ideas.

It has sparked up some thoughts of my own, but I'm not feeling well enough to believe that I'm making 100% well...

TriforceofEternity

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 04:32:33 pm »
Well EXCUSE ME!    I am sorry for bringing up this topic.   I'll never make ideas again.  Okay?

Jutty

• The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 11:01:46 am »
Well EXCUSE ME!    I am sorry for bringing up this topic.   I'll never make ideas again.  Okay?
k

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 04:17:09 am »
k

:lol:

To be fair, it is incredibly rare for anyone to ever be taught how to think.
You, sir, have obviously not seen the Howie Mandel film "Walk Like a Man" recently.  :P