Author Topic: Where the Wild Things Are  (Read 1441 times)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Where the Wild Things Are
« on: April 10, 2009, 12:01:22 am »
They finally released a trailer for this. Anybody who grew up reading this book will be stoked, it looks fantastic!

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/where-the-wild-things-are/trailer

And come on. Arcade Fire in the soundtrack? Spot on, Spike Jonze. Spot on.

Setheus

• Porrean (+50)
  • One who knows nothing can understand nothing
    • View Profile
Re: Where the Wild Things Are
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 11:06:54 am »
Yea I saw a trailer for that a while back. I did read it as a child and it really looks good. Dunno if Ill see it in on the big screen but Ill for sure see it when it comes to dvd.  :)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 11:11:28 am »
Awesome! Yeah, I don't know about like opening weekend or anything, but I'm seeing that thing in theaters. Did you see the subtle movements in the nostrils and eyes on the monsters? That's top notch cgi right there. Top notch. I can't wait. I really thought more people here would feel the same way. Oh well. Maybe if they made it in Japan?  :lol:

Setheus

• Porrean (+50)
  • One who knows nothing can understand nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 11:15:24 am »
Yea the CGI looks amazing. Loads of time was spent on small details like that Im sure. When you do see it in theaters let me know if its really worth paying for. I may go see it then. :lol:

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 12:37:44 pm »
I haven't seen a movie in theaters in ages. I may see this.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 03:10:20 pm »
Yeah... This film has been through development hell.  Pretty much it was finished a few years ago but was deemed "too dark" and almost scrapped, but it's finally seeing the light of day.  Three years later.  It's about durn time, too.

I can't wait.  I really can't wait.

(PS - Gotta love the Arcade Fire.)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 03:39:32 pm »
Same page, my friend. Same page.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 03:42:06 pm »
Yeah, you get mad props in my book just for being a fan of The Arcade Fire.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 04:27:20 pm »
Yea the CGI looks amazing. Loads of time was spent on small details like that Im sure. When you do see it in theaters let me know if its really worth paying for. I may go see it then. :lol:

Uh, I don't think it's CG. I think it's all costumes and anamatronics, actually.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 04:50:34 pm »
in the rough footage, none of the Wild Things have articulated faces. The costumes were all built to have immobile features that would be replaced in post-production by CGI,

from http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2008/02/the-where-the-wild-things-are-clip

it's not exactly 100 percent solid info, but it makes sense.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 04:56:36 pm »
Yeah, after looking at the trailer several times there is def some CGI in there.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 11:53:32 pm »
Still, it's good to have another indie fan on the Compendium. Plenty of techno, classical, and metal fans. Not enough indie.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 01:30:34 am »
I agree.  My music taste is really eclectic, you'll find.  Recently I've been listening to a lot of Broken Social Scene, Dntel/Figurine, and anything by Mike Kinsella (Owen, Joan of Arc, Owls).  What about you?

PS - I showed my wife the trailer and we've watched it probably three or four times tonight.  We both are so excited about it... It's all so stylized, and whoever the Director of Photography is, they did a kickbutt job.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 03:47:18 am »
Lately I've been listening to a lot of psychobilly, cause I'm a bit new to the genre and it intrigues me to see bands with whole albums themed toward vampires and zombies and movie monsters.

But usually, I'm more into the dancy stuff, The Rapture, The Go Team, Junior Senior, Natalie Portman's Shaved Head.

Also some punkier stuff like Arctic Monkeys and Bloc Party's first album, or Gang of Four for that matter, and Refused on the other end of the spectrum

I love the Pixies, the Talking Heads, the Beatles, and for some odd reason, Billy Joel. Broken Social Scene and Owls are sweet. I like Owen, but haven't spent as much time listening to the one album I have.

And I adore the Arcade Fire. It's like somebody recorded the feeling of nostalgia you get when you see a blanket or stuffed animal you loved as a child. Although for the trailer, I thought "No Cars Go" would have been more appropriate, I have to admit I love the new mix on "Wake Up," because they took out the choir vocals and added orchestral score to back up the regular music, so it sounds even more epic and you can understand Win's words better.

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 06:37:55 am »

Uh, I don't think it's CG. I think it's all costumes and anamatronics, actually.

Aye, looks incredible too.  George Lucas should take a hint from this.