Author Topic: High School and Films on Highschool  (Read 854 times)

neo-fusion

• Fan Project Leader
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Creator of Chrono Trigger Apocalypse... FEAR ME
    • View Profile
    • Neo-Fusion
High School and Films on Highschool
« on: April 08, 2009, 01:59:35 am »
I am going through highschool (Sophmore year) at the moment and you know there is a ton of great movies based on the highschool night life.

The reason I am writing this topic is that I finally got to see American Grafitti today and it was a HELL of a movie. It pretty much reminded me of Dazed and Confused and stands out to me. The other reason is that I saw American Grafitti at the perfect time because just last night I was doing things with friends and doing those typical high school things.

They seem to reflect perfectly what High school night life is like. Whether it be drinking/partying or just cruising and hanging out.

The big three that stand out to me are:
Dazed and Confused
Superbad
American Grafitti

I hate the endings of every one of these movies though. Each goes through one day/night of awsomeness and it just sucks to see it end. It really makes me want to be apart of or make one of these movies. Superbad being the most closely related to my time just doesn't do it for me because that is all about drinking. I love that movie, but it isn't just about drinking with us.

Anyway, you could take one night with my friends, pretty much last night, and roll it into a hilariously spectacular movie.

It really is inspiring me to almost make a flash movie out of it. I don't know we will see though.

So, what do you guys think of these films?

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: High School and Films on Highschool
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 04:34:10 pm »
Superbad's great, but it's not just about drinking. It's also about getting laid and running from cops. Actually it's about Seth and Evan. Not the characters, played by Michael Cera and Jonah Hill. The writers. Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg. Some haven't made the connection yet.

I liked Mean Girls and I get shit for it, but come on! It was written by Tina Fey! Ignore the Lohan. Every time I hear Tim Meadows say "Amferny" I lose it.

The TV show Freaks and Geeks is great.

I don't know, though, I don't watch a lot of stuff about high school anymore. Doesn't catch my interest so much.

If you were just going to college, I'd say Bickford Schmeckler's Cool Ideas is a hilarious movie to check out.

neo-fusion

• Fan Project Leader
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Neo-Fusion
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 04:41:39 pm »
I will keep that in mind

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 12:37:16 pm »
idk about "High School night life" movies, but as for strictly High School stuff, let's see...Dragonball Evolution! Sorry, but it had to be done. lol...

But seriously...hmmm...how many movies do I know that are good that are sort of based around High School...

Akira - Hey, it might not be ABOUT High School, but it has some of the damn best High School moments in it. Oh man, when Keneda & them get the shit beat out of them by that (gym?) teacher I nearly bust a gut.

Donnie Darko - Again, not entirely based around the whole High School aspect, but plenty of them and there's a night life party at the end bits!

Ghost World - Great indie comic & just as great movie. Sort of more about a girl who's getting done with High School though...and again not really revolving around the fact...

Napoleon Dynamite - Yeah, I'll be the one to bring it up. I liked it. It kind of meanders along, but it's mostly about the characters. You probably knew a dork like several of the characters in this movie during High School.

Meh, aparently I don't find High School (/-ers) to be that interesting...I would suggest Juno, I guess...but mostly for the soundtrack (Ghost World is overall a MUCH better movie revolving around a teen girl dealing with growing up & junk)...

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 03:59:00 pm »
High School Musical wins.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 10:13:52 pm »
I like 80s HS movies best... maybe it's just because I like the 80s a lot.

My favorites include Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueler's Day Off, Foot Loose, and I would really like to see "Risky Business". I think 80s teen movies are a lot better than the stuff they come out with these days. They were about having a good time, but without all the heavy partying and dumb shit you do while drunk/stoned.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 11:31:59 pm »
Ferris Bueller is my favorite movie, hands down. I thought fusion wanted movies about high school partying specifically, based off the examples given. Oh well.

And you can't mention the 80's without Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Come on! I guess technically if it's just high school in general, Back to the Future part 1 (even though 2 is better) has a lot of high school stuff.

edit: Just remembered Bill and Ted. If you've never heard of it, imagine the singer from Green Day with blonde curly hair and young Keanu Reeves both acting like Spicoli for 3 hours (spanned across two movies). If you can take that kinda heat, it can be entertaining. If Keanu bugs you or you really don't like The Lost Boys, don't see it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 11:53:22 pm by Mr Bekkler »

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 11:47:15 pm »
I always have mixed feelings about high school movies, because although (granted) a lot of them are really good movies, most of them miss the mark for anything close to accurate portrayal of high school angst and general weirdness.

Of course, if they were too accurate I imagine there'd be many more movies that looked like high school versions of Welcome to the Dollhouse...  (The main characters in that movie were middle school age, correct?)

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 01:06:56 am »
High School and being a teenager for many is really the last chapter of youth. The last time you and your friends can just hang out without a care in the world. After that, people tend to start moving away, caring more about actually doing something with their life...   ...and then, you really start to appreciate those years, once they are over. The summers spent playing minigolf, or going to big loud concerts in the fields at night...    your first kiss, perhaps, or the first time you got drunk.

...then, like summer itself, it just dies, and you need to grow up. It all gives way to another group of friends and moments that you simply need to catch on to. The past is gone and can never be relived, but it will reincarnate itself as the new friends and memories you get.

This kind of sad death of a lifestyle has a lot of examples in both reality and fiction.

For some, the Summer of '69 is considered a very literal spin on the subject, where the youth actively tried to keep their youth, and some of them were killed for it, leaving their friends to grow up without them and become today's old people. Other fine examples of this however can be found in fiction...

Zelda: Ocarina of Time.  Link makes several friends as a kid, and then when he sees them again as a teenager, he systematically waves goodbye to each one of them, as they go become sages. However, he didn't spend very much time with any of them to begin with, except Saria. (And when it comes to her, Shiek does discuss this sad subject with Link.)

Rockman: Omoide no Okkusenman. This entire song, set to Doctor Wily's first stage from Mega Man 2, is all about this very subject. A Japanese office worker reflects on his childhood, and the friends he left behind, wishing he could have it all back. He is unaware though that new friends are waiting for him, including a girl who likes him.

Chrono Trigger. Our very own beloved RPG's epilogue is entitled "To good friends", in reference to the fact that now everyone must return home. The memories and the adventures together were tedious before, but in retrospect... we'll miss them. we'll miss them all.

(Chrono Cross pumps this sort of thing into the introduction.)

The Archie sonic comics might do this too...

neo-fusion

• Fan Project Leader
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Neo-Fusion
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 05:48:36 pm »
Oh man I forgot about Ferris Bueller's day off as well as Napoleon Dynamite...

Whoever said High School musical...  :picardno That is the fakest crap ever, I don't even have to see the movie and can tell from the previews that it's nothing like highschool.

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 02:22:00 am »
Oh man I forgot about Ferris Bueller's day off as well as Napoleon Dynamite...

Whoever said High School musical...  :picardno That is the fakest crap ever, I don't even have to see the movie and can tell from the previews that it's nothing like highschool.

Me and my friends always randomly busted out with song and dance. You are strange sir. In all seriousness Superbad is moderately accurate.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 03:02:58 am »
I forgot Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, but I always liked Bogus Journey more...When you mix time travel with robots you can never fail~!!

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 03:53:24 am »
Yeah, Excellent Adventure is more on topic, but Bogus Journey is hands down cooler.

Death on Bass Guitar!

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 05:43:39 am »
Didn't he play a stand-up bass...?

I just thought of a few greats like Animal House, Porky's and even a handful of National Lampoon movies (many straight to video! lol)...And if you're into them (I am not) there's the American Pie movies...Some of these are college though...if we open it up to college we'll probably get a ton better movies, tbh...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 05:46:23 am by V_Translanka »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 01:08:55 pm »
Technically, yes. But Bass Guitar sounds much sweeter and the non music savvy just see the word guitar and get it.