Author Topic: The Future  (Read 780 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
The Future
« on: April 09, 2009, 10:17:52 pm »
Watch the first Back to the Future trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SrV13F3x7Y&fmt=18

One of the reasons I love the early 80s is a feeling of promise I get from some of the culture. This trailer captures that to the point of perfection. I imagine that being a lucid, humanistic adult in that period was interesting. Perhaps one would have seen the wave of computers coming unstoppably, with a revolution promised for both business and personal use. Electronic sounds were filling music as still-raw synths padded and led songs. The space program was still in effect, and angular car designs filled the streets, best represented by the metallic, retro-futuristic De Lorean. Advances were also made in female and other minority rights. I want to imagine that there was a palpable sense of potential and progress in the air for those forward-thinking enough to recognize and be caught up in it.

And here, we have this trailer. The song is immaculately early 80s; the entire thing is synth-driven, and the synthesizers are raw and electric. They're the dynamic sounds of the lights blinking on, the switches being flipped, and the circuits being connected. Marty walks towards the De Lorean in a blindingly illuminated desert with Raybans protecting his eyes from the bright future. The desert road is empty; perhaps he stands alone as the inheritor or operator of the pinnacle of humanity's science—a time machine, reflecting the sun with its stainless steel skin. Inside, he activates the circuitry, utilizing every electrical and mechanical innovation available to prepare the manipulation of spacetime. The music escalates—all of humanity's history has led to this moment. All the survivals of Ice Ages; all the advancements forged and lost, and forged again; all the struggles against nature and itself; against religious, sexual, and myriad oppressions; against ignorance and the solitude of the universe itself. Now, after thousands of years of darkness, a dream has been realized. There is nothing left but the invitation of the empty road, beckoning the traveler to a future where roads are unnecessary. This is lllumination.

There is so much promise and potential in this. Where is he going? Well, anywhere he desires. Humanity can achieve anything it desires. The more daring the dream, the more thrilling the adventure. There is nothing left but to fully explore one's potential and the rest of the universe. This is the apex; the realization of sentience dreamed by all the scientists, philosophers, poets, and humans of the past.

Admittedly, this sense is kind of subverted by the trailer's humorous resolution, which is totally apt for the BTTF series. But my, the trailer so perfectly captures this promise and achievement that might have been heavy in the air of the time. How distant the 80s seemed for those who lived in the 60s; how distant the 90s, and the 00s must have seemed for those lucid in the early 80s! What amazing advances would follow computers? What new planetary soils would feel the footprint of a human? What works of art and science awaited expression through burgeoning intellects? What beauty did the future hold?

Well, we had the 90s, and we had the 00s. As much as the 80s might have held promise, humanity is still very much deeply afflicted by religious oppression, sexism, prejudice, war, mindless consumerism, intellectually incuriosity, and ignorance. We're still living on an earth in which many people view humanity with the most cynical of slants, seeing life as a suffering gateway to the afterlife, or the world as a temporary residence irrevocably doomed to apocalypse. And many more people are hampered from reaching lucidity and awareness of the human condition by the pressing needs and crises of everyday life.

But that promise is still there. This world is going to move forward, and it is never too late. As bad as humanity is right now, it was worse before, and before that, it was much, much worse. As humanity's strengths and achievements have swelled, so has the complexity and size of its problems. But this is our challenge, and it's one that can be won. Perhaps one day, time really will be explored, and things like religion and sexism will be a sad footnote in a closed book. The entire universe within us and around us will be ours to explore and discover. Illumination will await. How fast we get there depends on how hard we try. And baby, we're in the springtime of youth.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 11:52:02 pm by ZeaLitY »

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
Re: The Future
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 02:36:27 am »
Agreed, though with slightly different reasonings of course.  The progress, advancements, and dreams for the future were thriving in the 80s, now only left to us in a nostalgiac sense it seems.  One thing is for certain though, the flow of civilization will move forward, the next big advance is just over the horizon.

I can certainly see that attitude making a comeback.  Between the 60s and 70s, the stars were the limits, and here and now we've only just begun to touch those limits from way back when.  Once the pettiness of war, economy, race, and culture wear thin again, I hope we see a drive towards the unreachable like we had back then.  Something to make the moon landing looking like baby steps.

Thanks for the inspirational post Z.

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Playing Upon the Strings of Emptiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 11:50:10 pm »
Very nice post. The 80s are an easy time to mock these days, with the synths, hairspray, ninja films and the like. But it strikes me as the last decade with a real distinct flavour and identity to it. The 90s and especially 00s, I find don't have the same uniform vibe to them. Trends and tastes change so quickly with the internet these days, nothing's in style long enough to gain any distinction. Whereas the 80s, you had loud, colourful fashion trends, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, swords n' sorcery stuff, the end of the Cold War... not that I remember a great deal of it, but certainly as a kid they made a big impression. I see a lot more imagination and originality in the 80s than in recent years, though that's not to say the past 20 years haven't had their moments of brilliance. One of the hopes I've got for this whole recession business is that it'll spur folks - artists, politicians, writers, etc - to a burst of creativity and new ideas.

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 12:40:55 am »
Were there any major outstanding crises in the 80's?  In this decade alone we've had the post-911 era, the new recession/depression, the looming potentials of peak oil, global warming, future water shortages, etc.  It hasn't been the best of decades for the 80's vibe that is the theme of this thread. 

I think that the 00's has been a decade of wake-up calls, and a lot of people have realized that in order to make a better future we're going to have to put our collective noses to the grindstone and come up with real solutions to the problems we face.  The good thing is that there are a lot of people already out there innovating and leading industry and innovation on a better course, and I hope those innovations catch on.

There seems to be a new energy about; one that is not quite as free-flowing as in the 80's, but one that is more focused and directed toward manifesting a good and workable future.  And that is the way it should be, because we need direction now.  We need solutions to the many problems on the horizon for us.  We need to make sure the promise, as it was, is still there for a long time to come.

Zeality, is your picture from the area of west Texas near Big Bend?

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 12:49:58 am »
 This brings back to my attention the dreams of Gene Roddenberry, and Star Trek in general. Certainly we are not without wars in the depicted future (and may never be without them), but through the discovery of other worlds and people, and both friends and enemies across the stars, Earth has stopped fighting with itself and just become "Earth". The original graphic novel of Watchmen also followed that concept to a deceptive extent, though it ultimately fails at the very end of the book when a news firm obtains Rorschach's journal.

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 01:36:07 am »
Were there any major outstanding crises in the 80's?  In this decade alone we've had the post-911 era, the new recession/depression, the looming potentials of peak oil, global warming, future water shortages, etc.  It hasn't been the best of decades for the 80's vibe that is the theme of this thread.

I think that the 00's has been a decade of wake-up calls, and a lot of people have realized that in order to make a better future we're going to have to put our collective noses to the grindstone and come up with real solutions to the problems we face.  The good thing is that there are a lot of people already out there innovating and leading industry and innovation on a better course, and I hope those innovations catch on.

There seems to be a new energy about; one that is not quite as free-flowing as in the 80's, but one that is more focused and directed toward manifesting a good and workable future.  And that is the way it should be, because we need direction now.  We need solutions to the many problems on the horizon for us.  We need to make sure the promise, as it was, is still there for a long time to come.
That's a good point, I'd have to agree with you. I hadn't thought of the theme of global crises and wake-up calls as a theme for the 00's. I guess because there's been such sharp division, politically, on how to deal with them. It does seem that we're finally starting to realize that co-operation is need to come up with real solutions to these problems too, which is encouraging.

I would definitely say there were some outstanding crises in the 80s though. 1981-82 was the biggest recession since the 30s, until the one we have currently. There were also 8 and 9 year wars between Iran / Iraq and the USSR / Afghanistan, the emergence of HIV/AIDS, Olympic boycotts in 1980 and 1984, assassination attempts on Reagan and the Pope, East Europe gaining independence... I guess the events didn't have the same universal effects that we've got today, but I'd say the 80s still had their share of hiccups.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 02:37:06 am by Samopoznanie »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 10:09:37 am »
Zeality, is your picture from the area of west Texas near Big Bend?

No earthly idea where it's from. I found it at random.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 11:13:21 am »
Under the flash and bang of the Back to the Future franchise was a theme of Suck. Try to save someone's life and you'll be erased from history. Try to improve your future and you'll ruin your present. Try to help a friend and you'll end up driving off a cliff.

Indeed, the conception of the future in the films was surprisingly depressing: Humanity had flying cars, fancy soft drink dispensers, clothes that could dry themselves and adjust to fit whoever was wearing them. It also had bullies, crime, decadence, corruption, greed, ignorance and in short, every problem of the present. The Future of the second film is one in which technology has advanced and humanity has stayed the exact same. That is one of the themes throughout the series; the present is no different from the past or future. We can't wait for a better day to come; we have to make our here and now better through better choices (like Marty did when he finally learned to swallow his pride).

Over time there have been five great conceptions of history. The first and oldest was that the past was meaningless; anything older than a few decades was quickly forgotten or recast as part of the present.

Then along came those pesky Greeks and the past was believed to be a circle, and endless cycle that would continuously repeat.

Rome came along and it eventually fell, at which point history became a geometric point; the past was respected and honored, but there was no fundamental distinction between a thousand years ago and a month ago; the world was exactly as it presently was.

Hah, but then the age of the Printing Press came and histories could be complied, records compared, and the past was recognized as the past. A new concept entered humanity; the idea that the future of humanity might be better than the present and not be doomed to a fall. History became a line, progressing ever upwards into heaven without a decline! Ah, the glories of Modernism!

It was not fated to be, however. We became too wise, to knowledgeable and it was realized that for all our good intentions, we could fail. And if we could fail, what meaning was there? If history started out as a circle, became a point, and in turn developed into a line slanted upwards, then the shape of history in the era of Post-modernism was that of a moose. What does that mean? Who cares, it is for you to decide. History had no meaning except that which the individual might find in the moment, and even that would pass based on the whim of the individual.

That movement was fairly short-lived, as all nihilistic movements must be. We are in a new age, wiser and more sensible. History is like the stock market; sometimes humanity improves in a steady line, sometimes there are sudden but temporary drops, and sometimes civilizations collapse, sending the world into turmoil. To say that the future will always be better than the past is akin to the web-investors of the 90's; it is only in retrospect that their hopes and dreams were afloat on a bubble ready to pop. Yet to say that the future will always be crap is akin to those living at the depths of the Great Depression; not matter how bad things are now, they can and will get better.

The future is ours to determine. We have the choice of making it better or worse through our actions, but it could go either way.

But it strikes me as the last decade with a real distinct flavour and identity to it. The 90s and especially 00s, I find don't have the same uniform vibe to them.

Wait. We are still in the 00's, the 90's are just beginning to have a hint of nostalgia. The past is a foreign country; the 80's are France, the 70's are Austria, but the 00's and 90's are Canada and Mexico (respectively). The more time that passes, the easier it will be to distinguish the traits of the era.

The 90's, for example, were a time of wide-eyed optimism over the coming of the Internets. Sure, it was around before hand, but this was the era in which it made its way into nigh every home. It was the era of homepages, those hideous things that facebook and myspace have formalized. It was an exciting time, like the centuries following the development of a printing press. People knew this new medium had its uses, but no one knew what those uses were.

As for the 00's, it was the Rise of the Web Art and the beginning of the downfall of newspapers. New mediums of expression have been created (Webcomics being just one example) and what individuals lack in knowledge can often be easily made up with a simple cellphone. Communications over distances has become easier while communicating in person has become harder.

It is hard to see the present because we live in the present; we are unable to see the forest because all the trees get in the way.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 04:06:42 pm »
The 2nd one also foresaw Hollywood's emergence into sequel Hell with, what was it? Jaws 9?

Samopoznanie

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 04:12:14 pm »
I think it was either 'Jaws: The Revenge' or 'Jaws 3-D' that finally put the nail in the coffin of that series. Should've quit after one film...

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 04:12:42 pm »
True.

At least they haven't started to remake the BTTF movies yet.