Author Topic: The interesting and informative links and resources thread.  (Read 22820 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: The interesting and informative links and resources thread.
« Reply #195 on: September 04, 2011, 06:48:32 pm »
I have a "reverse" interesting and informative links request. I appeal to you, Dear Compendiumites, to share with me any websites or books you have which list, comprehensively, the subjects and topics in philosophy. What I'm looking for is a full-sized catalogue, an index if you will. I am not interested in seeing the links from Wikipedia, but anything else goes.

If you know of resources that have comprehensive lists of partial segments of philosophy, that's fine too.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #196 on: September 05, 2011, 02:53:15 am »
How is philosophy not interesting? XD

Many are at the top of my head right now, but I can recommend the following:

1) Plato's The Republic
2) Goethe's Faust, and Deathnote (I know the latter is an anime, but both deal with moral philosophy intriguingly)
3) Kino's Journey (yeah, another anime, but this is more like a philosophic fairytale and art; I showed you one ep last time, so you know what I'm talkin about) -- Almost every moral thought I follow today was based on this.
4) Principia Mathematica

There were various books I collected about regarding Philosophy of Logic (most of them barely touched), but I'll get back to you on that later. XD

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 05, 2011, 03:22:26 am »
Let me just clarify that I am not looking for actual philosophical writings, but for a comprehensive list of the areas of philosophy. Not just the major branches, but rather a catalogue of as many as possible of the various areas and sub-areas.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #198 on: September 05, 2011, 07:58:03 am »
Unfortunately, that's something even I'm looking for.  :oops:

Well, there are various catalogues in Wikipedia I can point you to, but... you don't seem interested in em.  :(

Synchronization

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 05, 2011, 10:13:01 am »
In philosophy sorting ideas by genre's isn't the best way since individual writers often have such extensive systems of thinking that no one else follows up on their ideas or worse yet they label a particular philosopher something that they are not i.e. Nietzche as a nihilist.  The most accurate organizing tool would simply be time since as time passes philosophers have more opportunity to read the increasing number of works from the past, or claim they have done so.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 05, 2011, 10:39:14 am »
 :picardno

I don't want to be told what works to read or why my request isn't "best." I am looking for a list of topics, a very comprehensive, particularly thorough list. That is what I request.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 05, 2011, 02:29:27 pm »
It seems unlikely that you haven't found this on your own, but the Oxford Scholarship Online System is often a decent enough place to find lists on topics: http://www.oxfordhandbooks.com/oso/public/philosophy/subject_home.html

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 05, 2011, 05:53:08 pm »
This one has all of the subjects I'm aware of in the drop-down menus: http://philpapers.org/

More specifically, this page breaks it down into many subcategories: http://philpapers.org/browse/all

Do bear in mind that this is all based on modern philosophy's cataloging for purposes of publication, but I think it's pretty comprehensive. The history of philosophy section would indicate how subjects were broken down in the past. I'm not sure how good it is at doing so, but historians of philosophy would know better than I :p

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 06:40:26 pm by Syna »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 05, 2011, 09:18:21 pm »
Thank you both for those links. This one:

http://philpapers.org/browse/all

...is along the lines of what I am looking for. Any further resources in that vein are most welcome!

Synchronization

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 06, 2011, 05:36:29 pm »
Thus the quality of education in this already neglected discipline continues to decline further, its too bad higher education assignments nowadays are more indoctrinating than anything else.  http://plato.stanford.edu/contents.html this website contains some categories the others may not include but you will have to wade through the entries since they are not sorted by content.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 06, 2011, 08:04:45 pm »
Well, an alphabetized list can still be useful. Thank you.

Now give me a bit of an introduction to yourself.

Synchronization

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 07, 2011, 06:53:01 pm »
The bit: I work at Princeton university New Jersey, the place can at times be likened to Arris dome: it has mysterious machines that attack the unwitting pedestrian with spouts of diesel exhaust, vermin littering the hidden corridors, a veritable postmodern mess of people whose behavior resemble that of the R series robots.  At any rate I have access to a metaphorical database of advanced knowledge that I plan to share in some degree through my various posts, although my true purpose here is, to put it crudely, to explore the full implications of the game Chrono Trigger for our times and future works.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 07, 2011, 07:08:30 pm »
...although my true purpose here is, to put it crudely, to explore the full implications of the game Chrono Trigger for our times and future works.

We'll look forward to it.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 07, 2011, 10:33:28 pm »
Video Editing with Blender, in case anyone's interested (I'm looking at you, Bekkler).

Also for many Game Developers out here, How To Make A 3rd Person Shooter!

Oh, and did I mention PyGames?

You're welcome!

Awesome, thanks tush!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 08, 2011, 06:17:34 am »
Religious people often insist, in this modern world where factual validation of divine premises has never been achieved, that their deity is beyond paltry physical measure, even beyond logic. Faith, they insist, is a direct conduit directly into the supernatural, the divine.

Even so, when you put people under a brain scanner and measure their neural activity while they practice their faith, there's plenty of activity to see. They may claim that their faith goes someplace deeper--a claim which, of course, is as untestable as the divine premise which precedes it--but clearly there is a reality-based component to all that activity.

And it's identical to the brain activity of people engaged in acts of intense product loyalty.

That's right. Apple fanatics experience the same mental stimulation at being shown pictures of Apple products that believers do at being shown images of their religious fixtures. Assuming that this isn't more of Satan's distractions, clearly there is only one reasonable explanation: Steve Jobs is our newest GOD! And so is every other corporate personality behind a famous brand. And every religion is the one true religion.

In completely unrelated news: Does anybody know what the word "cult" means?