Author Topic: The interesting and informative links and resources thread.  (Read 22823 times)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: The interesting and informative links and resources thread.
« Reply #150 on: June 04, 2011, 06:46:21 pm »
That's... horrible... Still need to read up the entire thing. But if you guys don't mind, I'd like to break up the negative atmosphere:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/04/scientist-cooks-up-adjustable-strength-metals/
Whazza! Nanotechnology.  :)

"Value" just begs the question: it isn't actually a harsh reality but a rather soft and fluffy subjectivity since value is determined by consumer perception.

The lasting impact in evolutionary lines is more useful, but then we can replace our small and large women with fertile and sterile ones. The same basic objection applies.
That... kinda freaked me out (sorry, I'm not accusing or anything) right after I read Saj's human trafficking post. Let me explain why.

I don't blame you for how you think of this. You think that reality is like an arena in which two fighters duke it out and the survivor, which is the strongest and stealthiest, gets his rewards. Well, let me tell you about the harsh part of it. Reality is actually like an arena with no rules, where broken limbs count for no disqualification and there's no age limits. Once you're in the ring, anything goes. It's not just about two capable fighters trying to see who's the best, but sometimes a strong fighter picks an eight year old boy who has potential to be the best and strongest in the future, but because it isn't yet. The time is ripe, the strong will bury the boy before he gets the chance to gain strength and take his throne. This way there are plenty of chances to destroy the best of species before they are even capable to adapt, destroying any potential a mere life could bloom with. This is just an example, but reality is even more grotesque than that, and I (and I trust Saj too) have seen it.

Sorry for the incomplete post. I'll read, and subsequently write, more when I get back on.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #151 on: June 06, 2011, 11:39:45 am »
Really interesting stuff:

Blushing, after all, signals remorse. Since it can't be faked or hidden, researchers think that our ancestors evolved the function as a display of appeasement towards those that we've wronged. Or who could kick our ass. The walk back to the cave might have been shameful, but it was accomplished with fully intact sexual organs -- the only victory that matters when it comes to the gene pool.

The part of the species that averted their eyes and turned beet red no matter how much they wanted to stand up to the big aggressive guy taking their lunch lived to see another day, and breed with the (presumably underwhelmed, but realistic) females of the species. The big guy eating our lunch might have won that battle, but that same unwavering belief in himself was what sent him out in a blaze of monkey fisted Neanderthal asswhoop. The meek end up inheriting the Earth by default.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #152 on: June 06, 2011, 04:20:21 pm »
Sorry for the triple post, but I found something even more interesting:

To me at least, it was common knowledge that as an individual becomes more fluent in a language his/her brain becomes bound by it, i.e., their thought patterns shape depending on the language and dialect they are surrounded by. Thus subtle changes in speech would undoubtedly invoke certain reactions from individuals, all depending where they come from. Yes, when someone has complete control over a certain tool that very tool can be used against them. This was concluded thanks to certain experiments I prepared beforehand just to practice them in social situations. No, I'm no master of languages thus it took me plenty of time to prepare them. Still, these experiments even so conclude how fallible a human mind can be, and how easy it is to trick them.

This was reminded to me by a Cracked article I just read today. For more information at wordsmithing psychology, NLP and the like, check out Darren Brown and similar folks.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 10, 2011, 10:47:40 am »
tushantin that was incredibly revealing, thanks!

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #155 on: June 10, 2011, 10:55:26 am »
tushantin that was incredibly revealing, thanks!
Any time! 8)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 10, 2011, 12:57:17 pm »
Perhaps you have heard of "chem trails"? These are the things that are left, or so some claim, after the government "secretly" sprays chemicals in the atmosphere. It is one of the many conspiracy theories floating around.

However, I have been pointed to the excellent "Contrail Science" webpage. Did I mention that it is excellent? Because yes, it is excellent.

This site is a comprehensive database of aviation science that nicely debunks nearly everything imaginable about chemtrails (and what it doesn't yet debunk, it will as soon as it can). However, if you were ever interested in airplanes and weather, then there is plenty there to keep you interested as well.

Of more questionable value are the comments left by chem-trail believers. It is quite interesting to see how their minds work (or don't), but it is also quite disheartening. At first I thought people were posting satire, given how outlandish some of their responses were. But alas, no.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 10, 2011, 01:08:43 pm »
Ever perplexing, people's penchant for believing simultaneously that our government is the most ruthlessly efficient and diabolical clandestine enterprise on the globe in human history, yet also this pathetic, bumbling band of epically incompetent losers who can't even pick their own noses without losing a billion dollars and getting a nosebleed in the process. Never mind what the government actually does; some people just seem to need to be long-suffering victims of an unjust society beyond their control. I guess it distracts them from their own screw-ups and let-downs in life.

On the other hand, the second Bush administration really was half House Dimir and half Animal House.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #158 on: June 15, 2011, 05:06:58 pm »
Watch it goddammit! WATCH IT BEFORE 3 AM!!

Holy God, it's fucking red!! :shock:

Update: It's 1:45 am. Eclipse has reached maximum.

More Update: Man, that was beautiful! *sheds tears of joy* :cry: It's finally over. Can't believe you guys missed it.  :roll:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 06:16:20 pm by tushantin »

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 15, 2011, 07:44:44 pm »
Wait wait wait... what...?

There was an Eclipse?  :?

Well, not like I'd have been able to see it, since apparently it happened while over here was early afternoon... :roll:

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 16, 2011, 01:02:15 am »
It was not visible in North America due to our continent being on the other side of the planet at the time the eclipse occurred.

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #162 on: June 20, 2011, 04:48:40 am »
Choking at mental processes? Yeah, I get that a lot.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 20, 2011, 04:58:53 am »
A very interesting read:

What Not to Say (and What to Say) to the Seriously Ill

Thank you for sharing that.  I can't tell you how many times I want to punch someone in the face when they say "Everything will be okay".  You don't know jack shit.  Are you a cardiologist?  Are you MY cardiologist?  No?  Then shut the fuck up.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #164 on: June 24, 2011, 05:45:55 pm »
So, apparently... No. I ain't gonna spoil it for ya.
[youtube]KCADH3x56eE[/youtube]