Author Topic: The interesting and informative links and resources thread.  (Read 22826 times)

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: The interesting and informative links and resources thread.
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2011, 10:12:04 pm »
Heard something on the news about a car detecting whether or not you're drunk to prevent drunk drivers from driving. In other words, the car wont function if you're drunk. (someone stole my idea! )

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2011, 05:37:14 pm »
Liberalism is at its most pathetic when it declares that conservatism isn't doing well enough. But that is exactly what a group of psychologists at the Society for Personality and Social Psychology declared at the organization's recent convention. They are upset because most psychologists are liberal, and most of the rest are either moderate or nonpolitical. Only a few are conservative. The group's complaint, as chronicled in the New York Times, is that psychology has a double standard:

“Anywhere in the world that social psychologists see women or minorities underrepresented by a factor of two or three, our minds jump to discrimination as the explanation,” said Dr. Haidt, who called himself a longtime liberal turned centrist. “But when we find out that conservatives are underrepresented among us by a factor of more than 100, suddenly everyone finds it quite easy to generate alternate explanations.”

Dr. Haidt thinks the reason for this disparity is indeed discrimination:

Dr. Haidt (pronounced height) told the audience that he had been corresponding with a couple of non-liberal graduate students in social psychology whose experiences reminded him of closeted gay students in the 1980s. He quoted — anonymously — from their e-mails describing how they hid their feelings when colleagues made political small talk and jokes predicated on the assumption that everyone was a liberal.

“I consider myself very middle-of-the-road politically: a social liberal but fiscal conservative. Nonetheless, I avoid the topic of politics around work,” one student wrote. “Given what I’ve read of the literature, I am certain any research I conducted in political psychology would provide contrary findings and, therefore, go unpublished. Although I think I could make a substantial contribution to the knowledge base, and would be excited to do so, I will not.”

Dr. Haidt, himself an ex-liberal who nevertheless clings to one of liberalism's worst qualities—the conviction that nobody is wrong—can be commended for pointing out that conservatives are underrepresented in psychology, and hypothesizing that discrimination is to blame. That's a valid observation and a legitimate hypothesis. But his approach is grossly unscientific. If he thinks he's proving his case by quoting a couple of anonymous e-mails from conservative students who claim they will not pursue a career in psychology because they have preemptively declared what the conclusions of their research would be and believe that their results would be ignored because of political bias (oh, irony!), then he's not fit to be called a “doctor.”

What's even more outlandish is the elaborate theory he has constructed on the basis of his flimsy data:

“The fight for civil rights and against racism became the sacred cause unifying the left throughout American society, and within the academy,” he said, arguing that this shared morality both “binds and blinds.”

“If a group circles around sacred values, they will evolve into a tribal-moral community,” he said. “They’ll embrace science whenever it supports their sacred values, but they’ll ditch it or distort it as soon as it threatens a sacred value.”

What he's saying is that conservatives have been excluded from the psychology community because liberals have transformed the culture from scientific to moralistic, and the operative morals are liberal-oriented.

It's true that methodological rigor isn't nearly as sharp in the social sciences as in the physical sciences. I remember that back from my college days, and have observed it in the years since when I read in the news about social science research studies. And, given that the social sciences are indeed overwhelmingly liberal at the professional level, it's not unreasonable to suspect that mores and folkways have contributed to the dilution of scientific value in the research output of these fields. So, Haidt's theory isn't completely unreasonable. But is this really a problem of liberalism shutting out conservatism?

That's much harder to say. Haidt's theory, reasonable or not, doesn't follow from his anecdotal data. He's trying to make the case that conservatives are underrepresented in psychology as the result of liberal narrow-mindedness. To prove something like that would require far more than a few disgruntled conservatives who claim they chose not to pursue a career in psychology because of all those damn liberals—claims which have to be taken skeptically because they carry a preexisting political bias of their own. Nay, to prove such a thing would require consistent documentation of explicitly pejorative anti-conservative bias in areas of the field such as hiring and tenure, research grants, and journal publication. That's a very difficult burden of proof, but warranted: It's a very broad accusation.

In his rush to vilify the culture of the psychology community, Haidt does not seem to have accounted for one very important distinction which can explain the whole thing uncontroversially: Conservative ideas make you stupid. These ideas self-select individuals away from careers whose physical work challenges the conservative worldview. This is especially noticeable in the realm of science, where conservatives are underrepresented just about everywhere, which tells you something about the intellectual illegitimacy of the modern conservative movement.

To the extent there is establishment-liberal involvement in the underrepresentation of conservatives in psychology, only some of it can be the result of the kind of malicious discrimination Haidt bemoans. Conservatism is an ideological construct. That means it can be discriminated against in two ways: discrimination against conservative people and organizations, and discrimination against conservative ideas. The former mode of discrimination is pejorative (although not always unfounded, when the discrimination is evaluative rather than assumptive), but the latter mode is judicious (and rarely inappropriate). Suppose that Haidt's anonymous student had chosen to pursue a career in psychology. With statements like “Given what I’ve read of the literature, I am certain any research I conducted in political psychology would provide contrary findings and, therefore, go unpublished,” how far do you think the student would have gotten before being pulled aside by an authority figure and told that that is not a scientific mindset? The conservatives who can learn this lesson before it spoils their career prospects, may go on to have careers in that field. The conservatives who won't learn that lesson, don't generally advance. This holds true for non-conservatives as well, to the extent any ideology can corrupt a scientist's scientific mindset, itself to the extent that the scientific community hierarchy is merit-based.

Now, I do have to discuss a couple of points. First, it isn't to be taken for granted at “the scientific community hierarchy is merit-based.” Haidt's whole point is that it isn't merit-based, because it's scrunching conservatives. Even though he is almost certainly wrong in his specific conclusion, his wrongness doesn't prove that the meritocracy is firmly in control. In the nooks and crannies where meritocracy is weak, the dominant culture will push out the rest, and this leaves room for isolated climates of malicious anti-conservative discrimination to occur, simply because conservatives are so outnumbered. The same applies to all minority groups, such as those who adhere to fringe (but not discredited) schools of psychological thinking. This kind of unjustifiable discrimination ought to be stamped out so that conservatives who do ethical work can build a career in the field like anyone else.

Second, we also have to consider that “conservatism” is a valid source of what I might call “minority malaise.” Being raised conservative will greatly disadvantage a person in many ways, and that often includes intellectual starvation. Some conservatives are too bull-headed to get into psychology, which is what I've discussed so far, but others are so thoroughly disenfranchised in life that they get to the point where they don't have the brains, the aspiration, the money, or the circumstances to pursue a professional career. In this way, conservatives in science are like blacks generally: Many are held back by their own circumstances. (Incidentally, the cause of those circumstances is usually conservatism itself, and the religion that goes with it, which is where the analogy with blacks ends.)

Haidt, in broaching the issue of conservative underrepresentation in psychology, could have taken the opportunity to truly explore the reality of it. Instead, he seemed interested only in pursuing a political agenda. If you read on in that NY Times article, you'll find that Haidt's views suggest he is a bigot of some stripe. I've seen his type before: the dogmatist who has a change of philosophy and becomes an evangelist.

There's something else to be said about the specter of conservative affirmative action in science. If we bring more conservatives into the field, without regard to their fitness as scientists, we're going to do unto the “Ivory Tower” what has already come to pass for “Main Street”: Science will be hopelessly and endlessly distracted into meaningless wars of conservative aggression. Not only will this slow the pace of scientific progress. It will threaten the institution of science itself. Conservatives don't buy into all of this “nobody is wrong” malarkey. They fight to win. Give them an opening in the scientific community, and they will pollute it with their crap just like they have done with society in general. Modern conservatism asserts that science is only valid when it is a tool of conservatism. Conservatism could care less that science is actually a means to discovery.

Do you think I am exaggerating? The sweet and sour finish to this story is that, when I got to the bottom of the article, the NY Times' automatic article suggestion box recommended a story about how only 28 percent of biology teachers teach evolution in a scientifically disinterested way.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2011, 06:37:40 pm »
As a side note, there is no indication in the linked article that Haidt was giving a presentation on research. It is quite common for science conferences to have two types of presentations: those based on actual research and those based on random musings. Given the context, it seems that Haidt was giving the latte. Oddly enough, these sort of speeches are often the biggest single draw for such conferences.

Conservative ideas make you stupid.

I am curious as to if you are aware of any research into this matter, apart from Satoshi Kanazawa's 2010 article in Social Psychology Quarterly?

Additionally, given Geraint Rees's December 2010 article on differences within the Conservative and Liberal brain, is it that Conservatives are stupider than if they were Liberals, or might it be that they are less successful in academia for the simple reason that the portions of the brain associated with assessing risk and danger are enhanced (resulting in a decreased likelihood of putting forward new and original ideas, which are the bread and butter of the academic world)?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 08:39:01 pm by Thought »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2011, 08:36:50 pm »
As a side note, there is no indication in the linked article that Haidt was giving a presentation on research. It is quite common for science conferences to have two types of presentations: those based on actual research and those based on random musings.

I didn't mean to imply the contrary. I assumed it was a policy presentation rather than a research presentation. His sloppy justification in support of his position is not just a work of bad methodology; it's the makings of bad policy.

Conservative ideas make you stupid.

I am curious as to if you are aware of any research into this matter, apart from Satoshi Kanazawa's 2010 article in Social Psychology Quarterly?

I'd be curious to see such research, too. My pithy assessment about the effect of conservative ideas is an observational given, demonstrable through any number of specific examples (including the story about biology teachers I linked), but a rigorous inquiry and an impartial data set would be far preferable, as these would remove the audience from any onus of having to trust in my judgment.

Additionally, given Geraint Rees's December 2010 article on differences within the Conservative and Liberal brain, is it that Conservatives are stupider than if they were Liberals, or might it be that they are less successful in academia for the simple reason that the portions of the brain associated with assessing risk and danger are enhanced (resulting in a decreased likelihood of putting forward new and original ideas, which are the bread and butter of the academic world)?

I remember reading about that. I am skeptical that this correlation is as meaningful a source of political disparity as it might seem, if only because such straight lines between large-scale brain structure and cognitive behavior are as-yet uncommon. To answer your question, I don't think that conservatives would necessarily be smarter if they were liberals. I deal with no end of liberals who are good on the issues but are as apparently stupid and petty as their right-wing counterparts. It seems more a matter of circumstance that a stupid person will be more liberal or conservative--a point explained nicely by the glaring flaws of any model which supposes that liberalism and conservatism are necessarily poles on the same axis, or that said axis is equally descriptive of all individuals' philosophical orientation. (In other words, it doesn't necessarily make sense to evaluate a conservative as a non-liberal and vice versa.)

What does happen is that conservative political views, at least by contemporary American conventions, have a way of discouraging inquiry. If two identical people are respectively given a liberal and a conservative notion, the liberal one being representative of reality and the conservative one not--but I repeat myself--the second person will be stupider than the first. This illustrates that intelligence is not only a product of cognitive ability, but of the knowledge base as well.

Your "or" option is not exclusive with regard to the first one, and again I'm skeptical of making the kind of generalization you suggest, especially since I am not competent to say whether the possibility is accurate or not. Indeed, my intuitive reaction is to disagree with a broad characterization of conservatives as more risk-averse than liberals.

It merits mention that I don't equate liberalism with "correct" and conservatism with "incorrect." The present alignment of those two sets of variables is, in my view, mainly circumstantial.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2011, 08:56:13 pm »
Ah, sorry. Since you noted that his stance was grossly unscientific, I thought you had been under the impression that he was attempting to be scientific.

Regarding conservative risk aversion, my suggestion wasn't based entirely on that study (the study just fit nicely in with it). Perhaps it might be my own bias, but it seems that "untried," "untested," and other such words or phrases pepper conservative attacks against liberal ideas. In the mouth of a conservative, "social experiment" is essentially a slander. This is added to my observation that in order for an ideology to be palpable to conservatives, it must be presented as not a new idea but rather one from time immemorial (the Tea Party, for example, has the motto of taking back America, despite that as far as I can tell, America never was where they want to take it and thus can't be taken back there; likewise with strong concordists/young earth creationists). And then there are my own experiences of being more conservative (with my move towards the center coinciding with personal changes making me more willing to take risks). Anywho, this isn't meant as a definitive argument but hopefully it is interesting enough to keep in mind.

I had edited something into my previous post mere seconds before you replied, so I thought I would move it here instead:

A little fun something that was pointed out to me, Daniel Moynihan, though listed in that article as someone who has suffered under academic oppression (despite being a Democrat), had a rather distinguished academic career: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Patrick_Moynihan#Career_as_scholar

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2011, 01:50:16 am »
A fascinating view. I can't say it fits with my own, and that's interesting since you're closer to conservatism and conservative culture than I am (present geopositions notwithstanding). I do see conservatives claim the mantle of traditionalism--it's how many like to identify themselves--but I don't connect that to risk-aversion.

Perhaps I owe the matter some further thought.  :twisted:

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2011, 11:57:24 pm »
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/documentary-minecraft/710788?type=flv

It's a fascinating documentary on Minecraft, or more specifally the growth of an independent gaming company. These guys are in the Springtime of Youth. I think we can learn from this.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2011, 05:37:33 pm »
"Printing" skin and possibly eventually printing human organs: http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2011/02/hot-off-the-presses-new-skin-for.html?ref=hp

The problem with the development with homegrown replacement organs has so far been getting the cells to grow in the proper structures. It sounds like this printing process might have a way to overcome those limitations. I suppose it could also be used to "print" edible meat: currently the single-cell sheets of lab-meat aren't very appealing. Of course, currently it requires taking embryonic fluid from cows in order to stimulate cells to grow, so there is a ways to go before we get cattle-less meat.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2011, 10:08:38 pm »
Ah, so before we can get to the replicator stage, food will come out of printers. Works for me!

I just hope research into these advances are getting needed funding. Really worried about what the recession's done on that front...

Say, I wonder if there's any site that aggregates funding status of social and scientific projects, and lets donors contribute via a Paypal-like system? Sort of a one-stop shop for donations toward human progress. That would be mighty informative and useful, I reckon.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2011, 11:30:52 pm »
While that would be an interesting idea (to have donations for science), I am not aware of anything like that for biomedical science.

While this isn't an aggregate site, you might be interested to see this chart: http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,7247.msg201815.html#msg201815

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2011, 11:57:52 pm »
Your link is probably not correct!

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2011, 12:41:50 am »
You are probably correct!

Here is the real link: http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=1305

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2011, 01:16:09 am »
Here is the real link: http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=1305

Ah, yes, I've turned to that chart on several occasions. However, its accuracy leaves something to be desired. For instance, recalling a recent discussion about government spending, I invite you to find the more than $100 billion in annual federal student financial aid anywhere on that chart. (My guess is that it falls under "Stuff.") For the purposes of demonstrating federal spending on research, I am hesitant to accept its figures, although I would be very surprised if it is not qualitatively accurate in highlighting the grossly small share of research spending with regard to overall spending.

It would be fascinating if, say, every tenth dollar was spent on research and development. Suppose every citizen were connected to some kind of system to tell them if their questions have already been investigated somewhere, and if so where, and if not, or if to an unsatisfactory extent, then to afford them an opportunity to win a research grant (possibly to be conducted with the assistance of specialized research teams, as necessary).

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2011, 02:47:54 am »
@Faust: I had forgotten about RePORTER: http://projectreporter.nih.gov/reporter.cfm
While still not an aggregate site, it does allow you to search for various biomedical research projects, both active and past, provided that they are being funded through the NIH. Thus, it can give you an idea how how much funding it being devoted to, say, anemia (assuming you don't mind wading through all that information).

@J, Fair enough, but like any presentation of information, one needs to consider who created it and what it was for. In this case, it was created by a former researcher to illustrate the funding for research. As far as the legibility of the requested information, that still seems best. While it might be nice if financial aid was included in that, in this context that is unnecessary.

Regarding its information, insofar as I am familiar with the numbers, it looks generally correct (though it is clear that rounding is involved). Look at the NIH funding information it presents (which is from 2009) with this chart for 2010. There is about a one billion dollar difference total, but individual figures (such as research centers) match up well enough.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2011, 08:11:34 pm »
Thanks for the heads-up on the NIH site Thought! I guess what I'd consider ideal is something filled with those donation goal bars that gradually fill up, like Wikipedia runs for its fundraising, or what the Howard Dean campaign did back in 2004. But I can use this to satisfy a bit of my curiosity, once I figure out how to use the form, hoh hoh!