Author Topic: The interesting and informative links and resources thread.  (Read 23752 times)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: The interesting and informative links and resources thread.
« Reply #225 on: September 16, 2011, 12:11:35 pm »
I really hope you're right, guys. (Note: I am totally fine with people using Windows, if that's what floats their boat. I am not fine with them assuming that I have Windows, and then complaining because I can't read [document in closed-source Windows-only format]. A little more variety in deployed OSs in business environments might help to torpedo that assumption.)

It would be good to get more variety. I think most corporations are satisfied with their Windows XP boxes though.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 16, 2011, 02:21:03 pm »
And I'll stick to my Ubuntu desktop. XD (Well, dual-boot, anyway)

Here's another UI presentation in Windows 8.

Considering the fact that ever second release of Windows sucks (95, 2000, Vista) but what comes next is often great, there's a good chance that 8 won't be received positively especially with the huge risk in system overhaul Microsoft is taking -- though it's a good thing they do, and it shows that they care about innovation (despite stealing ideas from KDE and other Linux platforms). The fast boot itself is what might make us take a peek, and also the curious design.

But I do know this: consumers may find this new interface extremely pretty and attractive, but power-users like me are going to lag behind. People who constantly multitask or merely care about getting work done may find themselves switching to either Mac or Linux entirely, or stay in the refuge of Windows 7 until the support expires.

Of course, I could be wrong.  :wink:

Quite the contrary, I think this is exactly the direction user interfaces should be going. Current user interface design is cluttered, relies on learning lots of abstract concepts for managing windows, files, and applications along with confusing and inconsistent mouse click conventions, and encourages the kind of multi-taskng that distracts you instead of helping you get things done.

I think businesses have a lot to gain from these newer, tablet-influenced user interfaces. In particular, form and workflow based applications and database frontends would benefit a lot from less user interface clutter, especially for businesses wanting to employ lots of generally unskilled labor.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #227 on: September 16, 2011, 04:35:04 pm »
You're right on that; the current design is inconvenient (hence my preference of Ubuntu with Unity or Gnome3 over Windows). The new, imaginative concept on tile-based interface is pretty intriguing and simpler to use, but I'm actually worried about speed of use and multi-tasking. I'm sure there will be ways to do this, but at the time I'm not sure if I can imagine myself satisfied with switching to and fro Metro-mode or sweeping past countless tiles just to find my app.

On the plus point, Windows 8 will have an App Store! :D Just like Ubuntu Software Center.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #228 on: September 23, 2011, 07:13:37 pm »
Noel, you sly dog, you! As much as your "Meaning of Life" idea (or at least the way you describe it) is absolutely bullshit catered to grab public attention, you still place positive insights on what a human being actually requires in a long run to have a satisfactory and worthy life! Kudos:D

Also, a message Anti-Theists (but not Atheists; Atheists are cool): Hah! In your face! Religion actually does play a major role in establishing a balanced moral compass, even if people aren't really religious or believers themselves; this moral judgement helps individuals greatly in a long run. 

Oh, and here's a gift to all us SoY spirits: http://www.spring.org.uk/2011/09/4-life-savouring-strategies-which-ones-work-best.php

Also, as much as I kept telling people that decisiveness and judgement are carried well by human emotions and not logic, all I got was criticism and horrid beatings. But now the jokes' on you, because the heart knows it. Anyone who disagrees can go screw themselves: http://www.spring.org.uk/2011/09/quick-decisions-go-with-your-gut.php

ART AND SCIENCE UNITEEEEEEEEEEE!

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 24, 2011, 12:16:04 am »
Heads up.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/uars/status.html

I think this is rather informative for those unfortunate enough to be in this thing's path of destruction. Hopefully it lands in an ocean.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 24, 2011, 12:59:21 am »
I'd prefer it didn't happen for a hundred years or so, but being taken out by a satellite somewhat appeals to my inner geek.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #231 on: September 24, 2011, 12:22:58 pm »
http://www.livescience.com/16194-crime-eyewitnesses-mistakes.html

We need a proper change in our current judicial systems. Vidoq, Holmes, Wright... where are you guys?

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #232 on: September 30, 2011, 05:22:19 am »
http://www.nbi.ku.dk/english/news/news11/light_from_galaxy_clusters_confirm_theory_of_relativity_/

Einstein is unstoppable. His spirit continues to reveal the mysteries and wonders of the universe even after his death.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #233 on: October 12, 2011, 08:46:49 am »
To give without expecting any returns. To love without expecting them to love you in return. Sounds foolish? After all, everyone looks out for themselves, and people don't see why others could be this generous beyond their selfish purpose.

But for those who are that emotionally generous, they know the true value beyond such empathetic acts. I've often stumbled in explaining precisely how good it feels, or what paradise it helps create, but I think Celestine Chua (and Charles Dickens) can describe this better than anyone else can.

Read on: http://celestinechua.com/blog/are-you-emotionally-generous/

So tell me, forum: What makes you happy?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 08:48:56 am by tushantin »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #234 on: October 13, 2011, 01:34:02 pm »
On studying Psychology, the effects of language, and also emotions and instincts, I came upon something called Regression, an impulsive escape of an ego to its primitive developmental form in terms of defensive. Theory states that when your chain of thought strikes a cord, whether a realization or consequence, a person would push the idea away from his thoughts but keep its resentment (or similar) at an instinctive, defensive mode so as to recognize and "purge" it.

Upon analyzing my own behaviors since the past few days I realize that I was also affected by compulsive regressions: I was a silent and reserved fellow, you see, but Mary somehow "convinced" me to open my heart and belong to the world, even if I have to blabber like a fool for it. Somehow, finding myself hurting a few Compendiumites unintentionally (and emotionally hurting my ex-girlfriend over... things) my overwhelming regret and worry almost forced me to revert back to the primitive, reserved poet I once was. Regressions also tend to shut off all (or most) logic, and I temporarily became a helpless child.

Well, almost. While careful Adaptive Regressions are beneficial for egoistic development, there are also some benefits to actually fighting it. Of course, actually fighting regressions might require you to seek help from family, friends or therapists to process things over because when an individual is compelled by the impulse it's an incredibly difficult battle.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 01:36:53 pm by tushantin »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 21, 2011, 12:01:53 pm »
A bit light on actual substance, but interesting nonetheless. There is an ongoing trend, it seems, to admit that animals are more human than we've given them by admitting that they have emotions (or more complex emotions) than has previously been indicated. Here's the article: http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2011/10/20/141452847/do-animals-grieve?sc=fb&cc=fp

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 21, 2011, 03:49:03 pm »
Maybe I am just weird, but good lord, felting is an interesting topic. Unlike other cloth, it isn't twisted into thread and then woven into fabric, no. It is pounded, aggressively, until the fibers stick together. And the process that goes into making a hat with it?! Ho ho! (curses, I totally picked that "ho ho" up from Josh) There's twisting, and rubbing, and rolling, and pounding, and malleting. The entire thing can start at three times or more the size of the final product, since the cloth is made as the hat itself it being made. For more information: http://www.felthats.com/hats_info/making_felt.html

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 21, 2011, 10:39:49 pm »
Hey, that is interesting!

And I also "Ho ho hoh!" in real life. =)

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #239 on: October 22, 2011, 01:11:34 am »