Author Topic: Why are you here?  (Read 8889 times)

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Re: Why are you here?
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2009, 10:28:10 pm »
94? how? it came out in 95

Time travel, dude.

vivify93

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2009, 10:57:16 pm »
Hmm...  Why am I here? Well, according to my dad, we used to own Chrono Trigger for the SNES, but my sister gave it away to one of her friends because... Hell, I don't know what went on in that girl's head when she was 10. I guess she couldn't understand the plot or hated the concept of time-travel or didn't like Crono, Lucca, and Marle's names, something like that. Unfortunately, I never got to enjoy an authentic Chrono Trigger experience on the SNES. However, I got to enjoy Cross when I was 9, about.

I was hooked. I found the music catchy, the graphics lovely, and the story wonderful. Speaking of the story, you may not believe this, but even as a 9-year-old child, I didn't find the story "convoluted" or "confusing" at all. I understood it quite well. Naturally, I've read story some synopsises and explanations by now, so I can't exactly give you my 9-year-old explanation of the story. Anyway, after beating Cross some 16-odd times, (I got everyone Prism weapons and armor legitimately.  :shock:) I found out about Final Fantasy Chronicles a few years later from Squaresoft's old web site. Not only did it include the Final Fantasy IV I've wanted to play for so long, but it included the eluvsive, sacred, much-hyped Chrono Trigger!

So, of course, I had to buy it. With my birthday money, I had my dad drive me up to the local Gamestop, and I purchased it. I couldn't wait to take it home and play it. I popped in the Chrono Trigger disc and watched the opening. Needless to say, the plot was simple compared to Chrono Cross', so I understood it completely. And of course, after beating Chrono Trigger, I just had to play Cross again.  :lol:

Then I discovered emulation in general, and Radical Dreamers, and...yeah. I'm glad I played them in that order, to be honest. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed Cross the same way I did then if I had. So really, my sister giving our Trigger cart away was a blessing in disguise. Now, as for why I came to the Compendium...

I basically heard about something on GameFAQs that lead me here. I don't remember what. I kept going on and off at the forums, lurking mostly. I also loved to read from the encyclopedia, and many of the articles here. I never made a forum account until recently. I basically wanted to save one of justin3009's fan projects from a grisly font--a fate worse than death, in my opinion! XD

I still feel iffy about joining, as I've had a bad exposure to the Chrono community, (i.e. the morons who refuse to accept  Cross's existence for some half-assed reasons and the morons, usually the very same morons I might add, who refuse to accept Radical Dreamers's existence because either "Cross retconned it" or "It's text-based.") but I have a feeling the people here aren't anything like the ones I've seen.

Alcyone

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • nyoro~n
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2009, 02:52:07 am »
When I was about 7 years old, my aunt came over to babysit me and brought some SNES games, including CT. I watched her play a bit of it(up until Marle disappears) and I found it to be an extraordinarily interesting game, even though I didn't really know anything about it(I had never played an RPG before). I think I just liked the pretty graphics. XD

Um, anyways, she let me borrow it. I had absolutely no clue what to do, so I just played on my aunt's old file, which was at the point just after you defeat Zombor, and wandered around aimlessly, doing random stuff. I returned the game to her a while after that and almost completely forgot about it, until a few months later when I suddenly remembered it and asked her if I could borrow it again. I finally actually figured out what to do and beat it eventually. After "borrowing" it for quite a few years, she finally let me keep it. ^^;

A few years ago, I randomly found the Compendium. I joined in January because I wanted to start a fanproject, but ended up joining one instead. ^^

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2009, 04:16:28 am »
I still feel iffy about joining, as I've had a bad exposure to the Chrono community, (i.e. the morons who refuse to accept  Cross's existence for some half-assed reasons and the morons, usually the very same morons I might add, who refuse to accept Radical Dreamers's existence because either "Cross retconned it" or "It's text-based.") but I have a feeling the people here aren't anything like the ones I've seen.
Well it is the Chrono Compendium, not the "Chrono Trigger Compendium".  Majority seems to view all the games as seperate entities that make up a greater whole, rather than discrediting any for their faults or for their own personal desires.

In short, we likey tha Cross!

One strange thing to note, I owned Chrono Cross, and Chrono Trigger DS *before* I owned a PS1 or Nintendo DS.  Those two games were the reasons I bought those systems.

tripehound

• Porrean (+50)
  • Autistic Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2009, 07:42:06 pm »
I found CT after learning Akira Toriyama did the character designs. 'Nuff said.  :lol:

I found the Compendium three or four years ago through Zeality's occasional posts on GameFAQs' forums, and realizing that, to put it bluntly, he wasn't one of the local idiots.

FouCapitan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2009, 03:09:33 am »
I found CT after learning Akira Toriyama did the character designs. 'Nuff said.  :lol:
Heh, quite opposite for me.  I discovered Dragonball after learning it was made by the same guy who designed the characters for CT.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2009, 01:12:45 am »
Heh, quite opposite for me.  I discovered Dragonball after learning it was made by the same guy who designed the characters for CT.

same deal. except i got really bored with dragonball really quick. ok lucca doesn't have glasses, magus is green, frog is just a bald guy, and goku has no sword but does have a funky luminaire that he throws at people and EVERYONE IS CONSTIPATED so i stopped watching after frieza (freeza? sp?)

Setheus

• Porrean (+50)
  • One who knows nothing can understand nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2009, 03:00:43 am »
same deal. except i got really bored with dragonball really quick. ok lucca doesn't have glasses, magus is green, frog is just a bald guy, and goku has no sword but does have a funky luminaire that he throws at people and EVERYONE IS CONSTIPATED so i stopped watching after frieza (freeza? sp?)

Yea that Frieza saga was bullshit xD It was "MWAHAHAHA Im gonna shoot this energy into this planet and you have 5 minutes before it blows up. . ."(10 episodes later) "You saiyan fool you only have 2 minutes left to live. . ."(Few more eps later) *Constipated noises* "I THINK ITS GONNA BLOW!!!!"

I hope Im not offending anyone xD Its just funny =)

FouCapitan

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2009, 03:54:25 am »

Yea that Frieza saga was bullshit xD It was "MWAHAHAHA Im gonna shoot this energy into this planet and you have 5 minutes before it blows up. . ."(10 episodes later) "You saiyan fool you only have 2 minutes left to live. . ."(Few more eps later) *Constipated noises* "I THINK ITS GONNA BLOW!!!!"

I hope Im not offending anyone xD Its just funny =)
No no, as a huge DBZ fan that's pretty much how it went.  Can't blame the animation team though, Toriyama had the fight spanning so many issues that they didn't really have anything else to do but drag it on that long.  Unlike some anime, they were pretty much putting out episodes as he was drawing the manga.

To be fair, if you followed it after the Frieza saga, the Android/Cell episodes were much more entertaining IMO.

Jutty

• The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2009, 09:55:37 am »
The commercial made me want to play it. It showed Frog's Frog Squash tech. It made me want to play the game and it happened to be my first and favorite rpg.

Setheus

• Porrean (+50)
  • One who knows nothing can understand nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2009, 11:57:04 pm »

No no, as a huge DBZ fan that's pretty much how it went.  Can't blame the animation team though, Toriyama had the fight spanning so many issues that they didn't really have anything else to do but drag it on that long.  Unlike some anime, they were pretty much putting out episodes as he was drawing the manga.

To be fair, if you followed it after the Frieza saga, the Android/Cell episodes were much more entertaining IMO.

Actually Fou Ive seen pretty damn close to every episode of Dragonball, DBZ, and DBGT. I really loved it at the time. But looking back after all the anime Ive watched since theres lots of it that just seems silly xD Im glad Ive seen it all though and I can laugh about it.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2009, 06:33:50 am »
Actually DBZ was only good up until the Frieza saga. I don't know how you can possibly like the saga's after that, except for the few "awesome" moments when someone reaches a new SSJ level or something. But let's not get into that.

When I played Trigger years ago for the first time, I was amazed. I could do something I couldn't do in any other RPG; I could travel in time. Actually, I could even alter history. Things like giving the woman in Porre in the past something, which causes her descendants to be friendly in the present age. Things like that I really loved. Also, the characters quickly attached to me, and the story was intriguing. It felt good when I cleared the game for the first time.

Chrono Cross had an even larger impact on me though. Having no idea what it was about, I started playing for the first time. At first I wondered "Who are these dudes? Where's Chrono?", but before long I didn't really care anymore, because the new cast was just as, if not more awesome then the old team. When I first came into Another World and Leena said Serge is dead, I was really like, OMG. Pretty much from that moment on I couldn't stop playing, I wanted to know what's up with Serge, and what's going on with Lavos. Seeing Belthasar again in a 3D environment was awesome. Finding the Neo Epoch was equally awesome. Finding out about Schala/Project Kid/FATE/The Time Devourer was even more awesome.

Chrono Trigger and Cross are both games I love from the heart, but Cross got to me more.

Metal Gear Flaccid

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Get the heck out of here, you nerd!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2009, 12:14:52 pm »
I heard of what a great game CT was, and when I tried to find a copy of the SNES version, I was shocked by the prices. So, I gave up on the hunt for a few years (SNES emulation never worked exactly right, and I was picky on that regard), until the DS version was announced, and suddenly became hungry for any Chrono infomation I could get my hands on. This is the best site for such information, ergo: I came here to stay. I am happy to say, after the purchase of both CT:DS and CC, I am quite happy with my new obsession.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2009, 04:09:29 am »
I outlined my discovery of the Chronoverse here, but the real reason I'm here on this site is the re-translation.  After D had finished the game and right before I started playing it I looked it up on Wikipedia and discovered the re-translation.  D and I both read through it and loved it.  It was a bonding experience in our relationship.  XD  (Thanks guys!)  So that's how I found this site.  However, I didn't actually return to it until this past summer, during what was pretty much a "Chrono binge" for D and I.  We played through Trigger together a few times and then we both played Cross.  I started re-visiting the Compendium around mid-June and lurked for ages before finally deciding to get an account.  I had been reading the forums for about...a month or so before signing up.  And (as you all are well aware) this site is like cocaine.  I'm addicted.  HELP!  XD

In summation, I'm here because of my love for Chrono Trigger and Cross.  I've stayed here because I've made some great friends.  This is the only forum I visit, and I don't plan on leaving any time soon.  So you're stuck with me.  Sorry.  8)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 04:12:31 am by Sajainta »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2009, 07:09:24 pm »
And (as you all are well aware) this site is like cocaine.  I'm addicted.  HELP!  XD

Seriously! I almost feel bad when I've been gone for several days. I'm like "No, now my unread post list is going to be HUGE!"