Author Topic: The Sparkle in Crono's Death Scene...  (Read 6793 times)

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
Re: The Sparkle in Crono's Death Scene...
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2009, 04:08:12 pm »
I think the sparkle being the pendant housing Crono's soul makes sense coupled with the fact that the pendant gives sparkles to the Chrono Trigger before you resurrect him.

Why wasn't this mentioned in the Ultimania?!

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2009, 04:44:50 pm »
That would make sense. But, the question is, why add the soul unnecessarily?

If it is the pendant, why do we need to add Crono's soul to it? Simple Occam's Razor would seem to urge against it.

idioticidioms

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2009, 08:08:40 pm »
and why would the pendant house Crono's soul to begin with? I have to agree with Thought: why add the soul idea in unnecessarily? I think that's what confuses a lot of people, because they DO add the soul idea in unnecessarily. Why does it HAVE to be Crono's soul in it to do what it did? Fact is, it doesn't. Like I said, The Pendant houses the energy of the Mammon Machine, which in itself, houses the energy of Lavos. It's Lavos' energy that is in the pendant, and that in itself it enough to make it do what it did.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2009, 10:30:41 am »
Perhaps to prevent it from dissipating or going to the "other side" or whatever the souls do?  The Pendant held his soul for safe keeping...otherwise they would be unable to revive him...possibly. 

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2009, 03:50:58 pm »
Perhaps to prevent it from dissipating or going to the "other side" or whatever the souls do?  The Pendant held his soul for safe keeping...otherwise they would be unable to revive him...possibly. 
Not really necessary when you add a little thing called 'time travel' to the mix.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2009, 04:20:28 pm »
Not really necessary when you add a little thing called 'time travel' to the mix.

Possibly necessary when you add a little thing called 'blue aura of soul devouring doom' to the background...or in other words, the temporal distoration that seems to surround Lavos may have an adverse effect on the Lavos' beam-of-death + time travelling + reviving equation.  But then that just adds something that is not seen in the game...sooo whatever.  I don't care either way.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2009, 04:54:43 pm »
In the words of Fox Mulder, "I want to believe." I just need evidence.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2009, 12:08:01 am »
I barely take any of the TOIE cut scenes at face value...They changed a lot of little things and this is one of the little things that became a greater annoyance to the entire community...

I think it's possible that it's both in that it's not Crono attempting Luminaire, but perhaps him (unknowingly or not) tapping into the power of the recently powered up Pendant...Whether it's the actual Pendant glowing or some power (Magic in the Chrono world comes from within, so saying that it's Crono's soul wouldn't be too much of a stretch) emanating from said Pendant is up for debate, but ultimately it comes down to the same thing, I think...

I'm willing to blame lazy animation though.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 12:10:08 am by V_Translanka »

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
  • The Future Refused to Change. We Said Screw You.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2009, 11:34:57 pm »
Mmmkay, I recently watched both versions of that scene, and it looks like it could be the pendant...  But how did the pendant appear by the other party members?  I noticed that after the members were warped out the pendant still remained on the floor.  Now I know Logic usually isn't followed in videogames, but how the heck is an inanimate object supposed to get out of the deepest chamber, of an underwater base, and know exactly where the party members are so as to find them ALL before they were found?

A thought I had, that is a major stretch, is that the sparkle is possibly a piece of the time egg.  We see the egg shatter, and that is the last we see of it.  Im thinking that maybe the shattering of the egg sends the little shards travelling through time.  One of the shards finds crono landing in his shirt.  Once it does it flies up and brings the party to the scene.  The body is then replaced and they leave.  The time egg piece falls to the ground, and is set to rest on the Black Omen.

However this still leaves a plot hole.  How did the pendant find the party?  I'm thinking that when Chrono was destroyed, The necklace remained in tact, possibly from being infused with Lavos' power as other's have suggested, and blew onto one of the characters.  when they were teleported out, the Pendant fell to the ground, and was later found by a villager.

As I said it is a bit of a stretch, but I also think that would explain Crono's amazed look at the tiny little sparkle.  Also, how would the Pendant have gotten disconected from Crono's neck to float into the air and astonish Crono?

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2009, 11:59:32 pm »
A thought I had, that is a major stretch, is that the sparkle is possibly a piece of the time egg.  We see the egg shatter, and that is the last we see of it.  Im thinking that maybe the shattering of the egg sends the little shards travelling through time.  One of the shards finds crono landing in his shirt.  Once it does it flies up and brings the party to the scene.  The body is then replaced and they leave.  The time egg piece falls to the ground, and is set to rest on the Black Omen.

It can't be a piece of the Time Egg. Time Error makes it impossible. Besides, the first time, he really dies. Again, Time Error.

However this still leaves a plot hole.  How did the pendant find the party?  I'm thinking that when Chrono was destroyed, The necklace remained in tact, possibly from being infused with Lavos' power as other's have suggested, and blew onto one of the characters.  when they were teleported out, the Pendant fell to the ground, and was later found by a villager.

Well, there is a theory that the pendant holds Doreen, Masa and Mune's sister, just like how they are in the sword. Not entirely sure, as it needs to be fact.

As I said it is a bit of a stretch, but I also think that would explain Crono's amazed look at the tiny little sparkle.  Also, how would the Pendant have gotten disconected from Crono's neck to float into the air and astonish Crono?

Where it was said that Crono had the pendant on it's neck? That he was carrying it, yes, but not the former from what I remember.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 12:02:01 am by Acacia Sgt »

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2009, 12:04:05 am »
Sorry, but what exactly is Time error?  Also where is it said that Crono actually dies? is it not possible that an endless loop is created where chrono get' replaced?  I think it is entirely possible that Crono himself never actually died, but was infact Saved right BEFORE he died being brought to 2300 AD through the power of the Time Egg.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2009, 12:07:35 am »
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 12:15:25 am by Acacia Sgt »

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2009, 12:10:33 am »
Alternatively read what's on this page and read it often. Time Error is a concept to understand how time flows in the Chronoverse. It's a theory, but it's the ground for a lot of other ideas and theories here...

Mikisho

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2009, 12:22:27 am »
so basically, the first time it happens, Crono truly does die.  But when you perform the Time Egg bit, The time line where Crono REALLY died is deleted in a sense where nobody in the timeline would remember it.  So that would mean the Time Egg could not have been in the original scene, so as to stay consistent with the way time flows throughout the rest of the game?

But technically couldn't this raise another question?  In the past when the party saw the dummy be destroyed, they would think that it was Crono being Vaporised.  This would then lead that party to pull the dummy Crono out when they performed that task as they inevitably would, would they not?  Gah, Im confusing myself with plot holes :?

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2009, 12:29:08 am »
Unlike the other cases of the game, this is the only one where the events are kept the same despite the change. Well, considering there was no time for the party to notice something after, and that time was frozen during the exchange, it makes sense.

Besides, even if something did went wrong, you can rely on Time Bastard to clean the mess, hopefully, before things go for the worse.